Post from Patterson On New Record

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: Post from Patterson On New Record

Post by Zip City »

Just replace Jay’s piano with a Hammond B3 and it would be a huge upgrade
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

As I've said before, I think the current version of the band is the best ever so I'm a bit surprised by some of the views expressed here. It's all a matter of opinion, so I'm not arguing it, just surprised by it. No question that a few songs will always sound more perfect w/ the pedal steel in the mix, but overall, I'd take this lineup over any of the others and that definitely includes Jay's keyboards.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

beantownbubba wrote:As I've said before, I think the current version of the band is the best ever so I'm a bit surprised by some of the views expressed here.
I also think this is the best, most consistent lineup of the band ever. I'm also surprised that anyone thinks Babies in Cages is an "abomination"....that just blows my mind. I understand we don't all like the same songs but an abomination? Wow.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:As I've said before, I think the current version of the band is the best ever so I'm a bit surprised by some of the views expressed here. It's all a matter of opinion, so I'm not arguing it, just surprised by it. No question that a few songs will always sound more perfect w/ the pedal steel in the mix, but overall, I'd take this lineup over any of the others and that definitely includes Jay's keyboards.
Different strokes, etc. I haven't been happy with a lot of the arrangements post-Heat Lightning

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip you're extra curmudgeonly lately
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Zip City wrote:
Different strokes, etc. I haven't been happy with a lot of the arrangements post-Heat Lightning
I'm mostly serious...do you like the band at all? So many of your posts suggest that you don't really care for their output that much.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

brett27295 wrote:
Zip City wrote:
I'm mostly serious...do you like the band at all? So many of your posts suggest that you don't really care for their output that much.
I can simultaneously like the band and have issues with things the band does. I don't need to dote over them to prove that I like them

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

While we're throwing our two cents in here I like the Perilous Night 45 and when I saw the band live I thought Babies in Cages was cool as shit. The only song in the band's entire canon that I don't like is What It Means but that's a Hell of a hit rate....they're at the 99 percentile with me.

The steel guitar is fucking awesome (weren't the Truckers considered an alt-country band at some point) and I like all of Jay's keyboard stuff - piano and organ.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Zip City wrote:
brett27295 wrote:
Zip City wrote:
I can simultaneously like the band and have issues with things the band does. I don't need to dote over them to prove that I like them
Zip, I had the same philosophy with my marriage. It doesn't work. My suggestion is to just bite the bullet, buy Patterson a nice bouquet of flowers, hand them to him and say "I'm sorry". If he says "sorry for what?" just say, "oh, I mean, I love you."
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

i don't have a problem with Zip's takes one bit. They aren't malicious or trolling, seem sincere, and are consistent with his posting history. If nothing else it's a little balance against the "every show/song/album is the greatest ever!!!" approach
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Zip City wrote:
That's why I asked. I rarely see you post anything that would suggest that you actually like the band let alone "dote" over them. The next time you do will probably be the first.

whatwouldcooleydo?

doterds

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:i don't have a problem with Zip's takes one bit. They aren't malicious or trolling, seem sincere, and are consistent with his posting history. If nothing else it's a little balance against the "every show/song/album is the greatest ever!!!" approach
I agree with this wholeheartedly. Zip's been around a dozen years or more and certainly is entitled to his opinion, just as the rest of us are entitled to disagree with him. While I cannot be objective on some levels I do tend to base my opinions on what I truly believe and compare those opinions of DBT to what I like in other music. I like piano far more than I do organ and other keyboard sounds but for everything there is a a season. John Neff was, and is, a incredible player who made the BTCD, TBD and GGB era live show something greater than the sum of its parts. I neither miss him nor am glad he's gone but Jay as a multi-instrumentalist is a better fit with todays band both in skills and in temperament. I've always felt that the biggest key to a band's live show is the joy that they show from the stage. This particular iteration of the band practically showers you in joy and I know it's real because I know them. I also find that every individual part that the guys play seem to work in better harmony with each other than they may have in the past. All bands have eras, the Isbell era was chaos and fury and felt like what the Replacements could have been if they hadn't been intent on self destruction. The 2008-2012 band felt a bit uncomfortable at times but because they were incredible professionals they had moments of real transcendence. This current band, to me, is what happens when people are having fun, great songs are being turned out and the musicians collectively as a band are tighter than a duck's ass. It's my favorite era of the band and it isn't close.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

You’ll get no argument from me on how harmonious the band is on a personal basis. The Neff/Shonna era was a ticking bomb that probably lasted longer than it had any right too.

I actually found the piano sound quite compelling on Heat Lightning, as I found it a nice contrast to the DBT sound while still feeling 100% Patterson. I was not expecting that sound to bleed so heavily into the SBT sound where I think it’s a square peg in a round hole.

I don’t know the band members, so my opinion isn’t shaded by that.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

brett27295 wrote:
Zip City wrote:
That's why I asked. I rarely see you post anything that would suggest that you actually like the band let alone "dote" over them. The next time you do will probably be the first.
I've given them tons of praise over the years. Maybe my criticisms are the posts that stick out because they don't get very much of it in these parts

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Zip City wrote:
brett27295 wrote:
Zip City wrote:
I've given them tons of praise over the years. Maybe my criticisms are the posts that stick out because they don't get very much of it in these parts
I just figured you were bitter about the Blue Danube closing. God knows I am.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Zip City wrote:Just replace Jay’s piano with a Hammond B3 and it would be a huge upgrade
Winner!
Dave

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

I don't get this sudden hate for Pianner in DBT. It's been on the records for years; Marry Me, Tornadoes, PPotM, Goddam Lonely Love, Days of Graduation, Angels and Fuselage, It is all over BTCD, BTD and GGB (Piano, Wurlitzer, Rhodes). On the two last albums, since Jay started doing double duty, there seems to be less of it.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

RolanK wrote:I don't get this sudden hate for Pianner in DBT. It's been on the records for years; Marry Me, Tornadoes, PPotM, Goddam Lonely Love, Days of Graduation, Angels and Fuselage, It is all over BTCD, BTD and GGB (Piano, Wurlitzer, Rhodes). On the two last albums, since Jay started doing double duty, there seems to be less of it.
I just learned something. I did not know PPOTM, Tornadoes, or Days Of Graduation had piano.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

I'd never really heard it before either, but the opening section of Days (first 20 seconds or so, the super-lo fi bit) is either piano or maybe something like a Wurlitzer.

PPoTM it's in the outro, buried in the mix, starting about 4:30.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Tyler wrote:I'd never really heard it before either, but the opening section of Days (first 20 seconds or so, the super-lo fi bit) is either piano or maybe something like a Wurlitzer.

PPoTM it's in the outro, buried in the mix, starting about 4:30.
In all fairness I should perhaps add that I get that PPoTM and Days are not exactly piano centric tunes. Days sounds like a honky-tonk piano mic'ed up from afar in a large room. I don't think it is a wurlitzer, but I could be wrong.

Sun Don't Shine and Kinky Hypocrit are the only songs on AB I would say have the piano prominent in the mix. Perhaps also Once They Banned Imagine. On EO, there is the part before the coda on Pauline Hawkins, Natural Light and When Walter Went Crazy. If there is a development from those earlier records till today I would say it has more to do with leaner production in general, and the amps not being cranked to the same extent.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Very prominent on Sun Don’t Shine, which, to me, doesn’t sound like a DBT song at all. It sounds like an outtake from Heat Lightning. Doesn’t make it a bad song (I actually like it), it just doesn’t fit on the album.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I like this version of DBT better than the previous one (and the original ones), but I honestly don't believe anyone who doesn't think the Jason version was the best. You had 3 of the best songwriters (2 of which are incredible lead guitar players) alive in one band. They were just an absolute powerhouse.

To be fair, I don't think anyone is being intentionally disingenuous, but I think those who are personally connected to the band, or really heavily invested have a hard time being objective and feel that saying a previous iteration was the best would be a shot at the current one. I tend to project this same idea on people who advocate for lesser loved albums or songs as their favorites (basically that someone needs to be championing those particular works). I love the current DBT line up, and think they put on a great show. I also think they're an objective step up from the previous line up (Matt really does blow Shonna out of the water), and I enjoy Jay's contributions a lot.

But the Jason-era DBT was without question one of the most powerful bands of the past 30 years.

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

Iowan wrote:I like this version of DBT better than the previous one (and the original ones), but I honestly don't believe anyone who doesn't think the Jason version was the best. You had 3 of the best songwriters (2 of which are incredible lead guitar players) alive in one band. They were just an absolute powerhouse.

To be fair, I don't think anyone is being intentionally disingenuous, but I think those who are personally connected to the band, or really heavily invested have a hard time being objective and feel that saying a previous iteration was the best would be a shot at the current one. I tend to project this same idea on people who advocate for lesser loved albums or songs as their favorites (basically that someone needs to be championing those particular works). I love the current DBT line up, and think they put on a great show. I also think they're an objective step up from the previous line up (Matt really does blow Shonna out of the water), and I enjoy Jay's contributions a lot.

But the Jason-era DBT was without question one of the most powerful bands of the past 30 years.
Very well said, especially the bolded. This lineup is tight as hell and they have really come into their own as a unit but to say this band is some how better musically without Jason...uhhhhh….
Last edited by Zip Up to Michigan on Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:
Iowan wrote:I like this version of DBT better than the previous one (and the original ones), but I honestly don't believe anyone who doesn't think the Jason version was the best. You had 3 of the best songwriters (2 of which are incredible lead guitar players) alive in one band. They were just an absolute powerhouse.

Very well said, especially the bolded.
You beat me to it. I was gonna bold the exact same part that you did (actually, I would have stopped after “objective”)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

If you're saying that the band was better w/ Jason's songs included in the shows, I can't/won't argue that. Having 2 great songwriters is pretty neat, having three is pretty much unheard of. IMHO, the band's 2 best albums are ones w/ Jason on them. And I'll also admit that I saw the Jason era version of the band only 3x v. many, many times for the current line up. But as to the live music itself to the best of my recollection I do think this band is better than the Jason era band. You have Matt instead of Shonna, 'nuff said (i always liked shonna's playing, she's just not Matt), and Jay playing a pretty mean guitar plus adding keys (which i think are a positive addition), Cooley and Hood both playing as well if not better than ever, plus, and this is just guessing, it seems like Matt and Jay bring a different kind (level?) of musical ideas and sophistication to the band's arrangements and playing.

Am I objective? Of course not. But I really don't think that's an issue here because I don't think saying the Jason era band was better, if I believe it, would be a slight to the current band and I can't imagine hesitating to express that opinion if I held it. As much as I like American Band I have no problem saying DD is a better album.

On edit: PS, I suspect many of you assume I'm closer to the band members than I actually am.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:
On edit: PS, I suspect many of you assume I'm closer to the band members than I actually am.
If you walked into a bar where the band was hanging out, would they recognize you and know you by name? If so, you're closer to the band than 95% of this board

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
If you walked into a bar where the band was hanging out, would they recognize you and know you by name? If so, you're closer to the band than 95% of this board

3 would, 2 might. But that seems a less than ideal test for closeness, especially the kind of closeness that arguably affects one's judgment. That's an abstract level observation, I'm not trying to argue anything about my personal closeness to the band and its members. As to me personally I don't want to quibble over a few percentage points or an obscure definition, the real question is whether (or more accurately, how much) that personal connection affects my judgment. As I've said on numerous occasions, I don't pretend to objectivity about the band or its music, but that's based much more on my fandom than any personal relationships (though both are factors).

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

FWIW, I do t think the closeness comment was aimed at you specifically. There are other members here who we know are much closer to the band

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Iowan wrote:To be fair, I don't think anyone is being intentionally disingenuous, but I think those who are personally connected to the band, or really heavily invested have a hard time being objective and feel that saying a previous iteration was the best would be a shot at the current one.
I never saw the band with Jason in it, so I have no idea whether it was better or worse than the current lineup. I liked all three versions I've seen a lot, and probably like the one I saw first the best. That's probably the version most people like best--the one they imprinted on.

I don't think that's why I think Southern Rock Opera is the best DBT record, though my theory suggests that's the reason. I do know that not much from the Jason era connected with me till I saw the band live. Outfit and Daddy's Cup got through. I'd checked all three of the CDs with Jason out of the library several times, and thought they were okay but spotty and not life-changing. I did have a boot of an ACL festival performance I liked quite a bit, and which had both Outfit and Daddy's Cup if I remember correctly. But Southern Rock Opera changed my life. Not many records can do that.
Iowan wrote:I think those who are personally connected to the band, or really heavily invested have a hard time being objective
I tried to be objective when I wrote reviews. As a music fan, I say you got to get up close to the teacher, if you can, if you want to learn anything. One thing I've learned from doing that is objectivity is highly overrated.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be