Post from Patterson On New Record

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Re: Post from Patterson On New Record

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Sometimes when you have to navigate a treacherous passageway, you have to abandon all armor and go forward with what you have in your hands.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Flea

Post by Flea »

uncle rickey wrote:An "abomination"? Seriously? Maybe slow your roll a little.

For Patterson's unreleased songs, there's also Awaiting Resurrection, Billy Ringo in the Dark, Heroin Again, and Rosemary With a Bible and a Gun, all of which they've played in the past year, and there are others like Forged in Hell and Heaven Sent, Tough to Let Go, The Distance, etc. etc. which they've played relatively recently too. There are probably others I'm forgetting; who knows what will be on the album.
Stop making sense.
Now it's dark.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Well maybe I should let it pass, but I mean it doesnt cost anything so why not, right? I have purposely avoided the new songs simply because I want the surprise factor when I listen to the record for the first time. I've decided that I don't like listening to it before hand. Weird but I guess I'm old school or whatever.

I love Slow Ride Argument. Pretty much impossible to avoid since they played it at Homecoming. I have only heard The Perilous Night like maybe twice and I just didn't care for it. I don't mean to put too sharp of a point on it but to me it sounds like an American Band outtake. Not all that interesting musically to me and it's ground that was well covered on American Band even if not specifically. Babies In Cages on the other hand, again played at Homecoming so no avoiding it, is a good song to me. Not Patterson's best or anything but definitely good.

I also hope this isn't another record filled with political songs. That hope has very little to nothing to do with whatever distance exists between me and the band politically. I don't care about that. I like American Band more than any of the three records that preceded it on the strength of the quality of the songs and the music which is what it is always about for me. But I'm with Iowan on what he said about angry political stuff whether it's comedy or music. It's easy to ride that horse too far. But thats not really a major deal either.

I personally just don't want the shows to be drenched in political outrage a la the early American Band shows. That just ain't my brand of beer regardless of what "direction" the political outrage originates from on the continuum. I stayed away from the shows that whole first year after the release of American Band simply because for me rock shows are supposed to be joyous occasions where you celebrate being alive with a bunch of other people who at the very least share that sentiment and the love of the music. To me all that rage dampens that considerably and it just isn't what I go to shows for. Just to be sure I missed out on it, I waited a little longer after the AB release than I thought was probably necessary. But it ain't up to me and they've never tried to make the same record twice so there I'll live in hope.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

John A Arkansawyer

Cole Younger wrote:Well maybe I should let it pass, but I mean it doesnt cost anything so why not, right? I have purposely avoided the new songs simply because I want the surprise factor when I listen to the record for the first time. I've decided that I don't like listening to it before hand. Weird but I guess I'm old school or whatever.
I get that, just like we didn't want to know our kid's sex before birth. (And now we still don't know the kid's gender. On the other hand, neither does the kid. Oh sweet mystery of life!) I didn't listen to leaks of American Band and I think I'm glad. Though I would go to a listening party. That'd be great fun! And I love hearing a new song live more than hearing it on record.
Cole Younger wrote:I love Slow Ride Argument. Pretty much impossible to avoid since they played it at Homecoming.
You missed out not making the Macon show where they premiered it! So glad that kid got that for a first show. I was singing along with that one all three times. And I think it will balance the new record lyrically. It's about rejecting anger, not letting it control you. That was a theme in Cooley's songs from American Band--"Men whose triggers pull their fingers/Men who'd rather fight than win" points in a lot of directions--but in this one, he's explicit.
Cole Younger wrote:I have only heard The Perilous Night like maybe twice and I just didn't care for it. I don't mean to put too sharp of a point on it but to me it sounds like an American Band outtake. Not all that interesting musically to me and it's ground that was well covered on American Band even if not specifically. Babies In Cages on the other hand, again played at Homecoming so no avoiding it, is a good song to me. Not Patterson's best or anything but definitely good.
I think you'll like the studio version of The Perilous Night better than the live version, but I could be wrong. Babies in Cages is a very good song to me. I've been singing that one walking around, just like I do Slow Ride Argument. Patterson stripped that song down to bare, hard language, no frills. Pablo Neruda famously wrote about mass murder by saying "and in the streets the blood of the children/ran simply, like children’s blood." After a certain point, metaphor and simile fail us, and the only thing left to compare children's blood to without dishonoring it, is children's blood. I think that's where that song comes from. Not Neruda (and not not Neruda either--I just don't know) necessarily, but the same unwillingness to gloss over horror with the tools of poetry other than precise observation and use of detail and the allusion to On The Beach.
Cole Younger wrote:I personally just don't want the shows to be drenched in political outrage a la the early American Band shows. That just ain't my brand of beer regardless of what "direction" the political outrage originates from on the continuum. I stayed away from the shows that whole first year after the release of American Band simply because for me rock shows are supposed to be joyous occasions where you celebrate being alive with a bunch of other people who at the very least share that sentiment and the love of the music. To me all that rage dampens that considerably and it just isn't what I go to shows for. Just to be sure I missed out on it, I waited a little longer after the AB release than I thought was probably necessary. But it ain't up to me and they've never tried to make the same record twice so there I'll live in hope.
I differ with you on that. After the election, I needed a show like that real bad. I don't want it every time, but that show at the Variety right after the election put the life in me when I needed it the worst. There was a lot of joyousness in it, too, but I also needed to be with angry people who weren't going to roll over and die. (I'm surprised at least one of the old people I go to church with didn't die over that election. I'd never seen some of them so set back on their heels. It was the sort of lesson I never liked getting, but did me some good, and I wish I saw some signs of it doing them some good, but I got my shit rubbed in my face mostly when I was young and my nose and my brain both were in better shape.) I'm a little envious you're able to let things slide off you I can't--I'd be a happier man--but it's not who I am. I could probably learn it--I think. I thought I could go back to higher math, too--but I don't think I want to.

It's outstandingly weird that I am so extroverted most places, but get a little reclusive at Homecoming. Next year in Athens.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I could be wrong, but I don't think Perilous Night is on the new record anyway (I could be surprised the way I was with Thanksgiving Filter); regardless, it doesn't seem to have much in common sonically with the other new songs which run a gamut of different sounds, from heavy to more country-ish.

I don't get tempering your expectations when you haven't heard a single note. "Thoughts & Prayers" is killer and so is "21st Century USA" (which I think will be right up your alley, Cole). I actually am just not warming up to Babies in Cages which I didn't like at all at first but has evolved into a highlight of the live show.

I also must say I think American Band is as strong or stronger today than when it was released, so what do I know.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

The Perilous Night won't be on the new one.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Smitty wrote:The Perilous Night won't be on the new one.
I'm not sad about that
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

John A Arkansawyer

Smitty wrote:I don't get tempering your expectations when you haven't heard a single note.
I do. Cole is an actual conservative. ; -)

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

I love Perilous Night. Especially the arrangement with the backing vocals.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

uncle rickey wrote:An "abomination"? Seriously? Maybe slow your roll a little.

For Patterson's unreleased songs, there's also Awaiting Resurrection, Billy Ringo in the Dark, Heroin Again, and Rosemary With a Bible and a Gun, all of which they've played in the past year, and there are others like Forged in Hell and Heaven Sent, Tough to Let Go, The Distance, etc. etc. which they've played relatively recently too. There are probably others I'm forgetting; who knows what will be on the album.
It's one of the worst songs I've ever heard and I'm not afraid to say that just because DBT is my favorite band. Appreciate and agree with the political sentiment but I find the tune to be a plodding mess musically, and lazy lyrically. There is absolutely no creativity in that song.

I totally forgot Heroin Again and Rosemary With a Bible and a Gun; I do really like those ones. Can't say I've heard Awaiting Resurrection or remember it. I just mentioned the ones I have heard a lot and I've seen pop up on set lists the most. I imagine those are likely candidates for the new album.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Zip City wrote:
Smitty wrote:The Perilous Night won't be on the new one.
I'm not sad about that
Chalk me up as not a fan of that song.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

“Babies in Cages” isn’t one I’d ever really care to see Patterson play solo, but it turns into a nice little groover in the full-band arrangement. Matt does a lot for that tune.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mundane Mayhem wrote: Matt does a lot for that tune.
Quoted for truth.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Wow, some strong takes here. Especially from a few who’ve openingly admitted that haven’t heard any of the new songs. I guess I’ve heard 6-7 of the songs in Lucas’s list above and I like them all. As far as Babies in Cages being an abomination...well, I guess I like abominations lol. Loved it at the 40 Watt.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

My only concern with Babies in Cages is I feel like it may have a shelf life, which bothers me a little since I love the music and it's fantastic on stage----agree with everything Mundane said above.

I'd like to see Slow Ride Argument become every bit as much of a mainstay on stage as WWW and Zip City.
Let the outside air in

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

RolanK wrote:I love Perilous Night. Especially the arrangement with the backing vocals.

As do I. It’s got a strong Clash vibe.

As far as Babies in Cages, I like that one a lot too and think it is interesting both lyrically and musically. Differing opinions are fine but ZUTM’s calling it an abomination is crazy. You don’t like it, that all well and good, but that sort of take only serves to inflame. If I recall, he doesn’t like What it Means either and I think those songs have some similarities
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

Tequila Cowboy more or less wrote:Babies in Cages and What it Means have some similarities
They're both fairly bare tracks that force you to listen to the lyrics. I'll admit to a preference for screamers--after hearing Careless and Wednesday at Homecoming, I'm hoping real hard for at least one from Patterson this time around that hits like those--but those do what they are supposed to do.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

The lyrics to Perilous Night just kinda are what they are: a snapshot of a moment in history. I've come to expect a certain number of Patterson songs that are in this vein.

What I really don't like is the arrangement. I wish they would douse the piano in gasoline and light a match. I don't find a single song that has piano in it that makes the song better. The trade off from pedal steel to piano has been a major downgrade (IMO), and, yes, I understand that goes with a change in personnel.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Zip City wrote:The lyrics to Perilous Night just kinda are what they are: a snapshot of a moment in history. I've come to expect a certain number of Patterson songs that are in this vein.

What I really don't like is the arrangement. I wish they would douse the piano in gasoline and light a match. I don't find a single song that has piano in it that makes the song better. The trade off from pedal steel to piano has been a major downgrade (IMO), and, yes, I understand that goes with a change in personnel.
I prefer the live versions (though it’s mostly disappeared from the set) to the 45. I was lucky enough to catch its live premier at the Orange Peel back in 2017 & loved it immediately. Sure it’s a snapshot in time, but then again so is CSNY’s Ohio, and I don’t think anyone knocks it because of that.

As for the piano, I get it. Now it doesn’t bother me, but I hated steel guitar in DBT songs with a passion. Especially live. So I’m assuming you dislike piano as much as I disliked that wretched steel guitar.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

brett27295 wrote:I hated steel guitar in DBT songs with a passion. Especially live.

;)
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Tequila Cowboy more or less wrote:Babies in Cages and What it Means have some similarities
They're both fairly bare tracks that force you to listen to the lyrics. I'll admit to a preference for screamers--after hearing Careless and Wednesday at Homecoming, I'm hoping real hard for at least one from Patterson this time around that hits like those--but those do what they are supposed to do.
Alt-Country Rap.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

John A Arkansawyer

RolanK wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Alt-Country Rap.
Seriously. Those two and Ever South deserve the full treatment.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Zip City wrote:I don't find a single song that has piano in it that makes the song better.
Layla thinks you're wrong
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Slipkid42 wrote:
Zip City wrote:I don't find a single song that has piano in it that makes the song better.
I meant DBT songs, not the entire history of music

John A Arkansawyer

Zip City wrote:
Slipkid42 wrote:
By "Layla", he meant "Pauline Hawkins". And if he didn't, he should have.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Zip City wrote:
Slipkid42 wrote:
Oh, 'coz that was just my opening salvo. My reading comprehension has slipped a notch. Still think you're wrong though. As John A. succinctly points out Pauline & Grand Canyon both are enhanced by the keys. I fully appreciate Jay's magic fingers on the keys or strings. I do miss the pedal steel too, 'coz apparently that's why they never play Carl Perkins anymore..
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I miss the peddle steel on certain songs. I was never a fan of them adding it to songs where it just didn't belong. The way it bogged down WWW made me want to pull my hair out. It was frustrating to listen to.

As far as the piano, some songs I like it,some I don't.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

gonzo on lap steel......think ditch fire in the summer.

everybody wins.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

dimes a genius
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Cole Younger wrote:I miss the peddle steel on certain songs. I was never a fan of them adding it to songs where it just didn't belong. The way it bogged down WWW made me want to pull my hair out. It was frustrating to listen to.
That’s a great point. I actually don’t mind the peddle steel on some of the studio songs. But I started seeing the band live in 2011 & it seemed like every other song featured the peddle steel and that’s probably where my hate for it began. And for me personally, I just don’t want to hear the peddle steel on a rock song. A few it worked, but most of the time I heard it live it didn’t.