Post from Patterson On New Record

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Post from Patterson On New Record

Post by beantownbubba »

PEDANTRY ALERT...PEDANTRY ALERT

"Daddy's Cup" is a Cooley song.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

beantownbubba wrote:PEDANTRY ALERT...PEDANTRY ALERT

...from the Jason era.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I agree on Matt > Shonna as a player, and I like what Jay does, but Jason can absolutely fucking shred when he wants to, and when he was in DBT, he wanted to. Cooley can absolutely fucking shred - still does. And Patterson is a bad-ass, underrated rhythm player.

We may be veering into personal preference stage, but there was an unbridled power that few bands ever have matched that came from those 3 spittin' licks at the same time. The current line up is tighter, and fucking smokes plenty, but the full-on 3 guitar era was at a rare level in my mind.

I'm not singling any member of the board out. There are people here with no connection to the band that love them like they do, which is cool - end result is the same. A lot of posters here love DBT like they love their children. They're my favorite band, but I guess there's nothing that I love that I'm not afraid to be objective about. I'm weird that way, and accept it.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:PEDANTRY ALERT...PEDANTRY ALERT

...from the Jason era.
That was one of the things that bugged me about those records: Patterson sounds like Patterson, but sometimes Jason sounded like Cooley in his songwriting.
Iowan wrote:I agree on Matt > Shonna as a player
I suppose I'm biased in all sorts of ways, including that I play more like Shonna than Matt--I prefer the sound of plucked over picked, plus I don't pick worth a damn--but her style was just right for the three Shonna era records, and she's a better singer. I miss her a lot on harmonies.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Flea

Post by Flea »

Zip City wrote:FWIW, I do t think the closeness comment was aimed at you specifically. There are other members here who we know are much closer to the band
Just to be a contrarian (and no shade thrown at you, Zip): why does that matter, and who the fuck cares?
Now it's dark.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Flea wrote:
Zip City wrote:FWIW, I do t think the closeness comment was aimed at you specifically. There are other members here who we know are much closer to the band
Just to be a contrarian (and no shade thrown at you, Zip): why does that matter, and who the fuck cares?
Ask the people who brought it up?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Lots of definitions here that aren’t clearly defined. I’ve been on this train for 15 years this week (a little longer in terms of just listening to the records), I don’t go as far back as some and I go farther back than others. I saw about 16 or 17 shows in the Jason era and that was a something. Pure, unbridled Rock with three songwriters and the feeling that it could fly off the handle at any time. Magnificent. I can certainly understand calling that the best version of the band, but look at it from another angle. Let’s take a chef who makes a name for himself/herself with a team of sous chefs and line cooks who all end up opening their own successful restaurants. People might very well say that was the best era of Chef X but what about 15 years on when the chef’s skills have improved, he’s got a team with less conflict and everyone knows their role and thrives in it? The reviews may not have the wow factor of the early days but no one can criticize the chef’s cuisine. Is the chef not entitled to believe that he’s assembled his best team? Like a chef musicians are always trying to improve and to say that today’s version of DBT isn’t tighter and more together than 15 years ago is ignoring the obvious. As far as 43 year old me goes I definitely loved that era of the band best, still do in hindsight, but 58 year old me recognizes how hard these guys have worked to improve their craft and to forge a tight, powerful band that brings it every night. 43 year old me was wowed by what I saw, much like the chef’s patrons with his team of special chef’s would have been, but at 58 am I not allowed to see how good these guys are on stage night after night, tour after tour? That’s an objective view I have no problem with. As far as my objectivity on the band as a whole, well that’s something different and I don’t claim that ability. Like anyone else musicians strive to get bet better and I’m saying they have, individually and collectively. What you enjoyed better is entirely up to the individual doing the enjoying. My two favorite records are Decoration Day and American Band and both have stood the time test to obviously different degrees. If you disagree does that make me wrong? Of course not. When you start talking “better”, “subjective”, “objective” and the like you start getting into the type of nuance that can only be judged in the eye of the beholder.

PS.

Go back another 15 years from 43 year old me to 28 year old me and I would have considered all of this a big heap of shit and that all I was looking for was the band that got moving and set my mind on fire. At no age in these examples was I wrong.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

To continue the restaurant metaphor, my initial point would be that the food that is being served is very good, but one of the sous chefs now uses a different kind of vinegar than the old one. Not only do I not like this new vinegar as much as the old kind, but the vinegar is being used in a lot of the recipes.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:To continue the restaurant metaphor, my initial point would be that the food that is being served is very good, but one of the sous chefs now uses a different kind of vinegar than the old one. Not only do I not like this new vinegar as much as the old kind, but the vinegar is being used in a lot of the recipes.
Completely and totally valid.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Clams

Post by Clams »

Hmmm, vinegar. It smells like shit but it is very useful for cleaning. Not sure how it applies to music.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

I saw countless shows from ‘04 to ‘07 and that can never be replaced like my child will never be little again. It was my glory days too, of partying and being free and having cool jobs and going to tons of shows. They were all incredible to my state of mind and I never considered it would end. When Jason left it stung so bad it felt like losing a loved one and I didn’t understand. Now I do. My daughter was born that year and bless her heart has been to a ton of shows with me and is unbelievably turning a dozen this year. She goes to rock shows and stands up front and sings along——- And gets so much love from the band it chokes me up right now.
So it’s tough to really compare the eras because this is the golden era for me——— to have made so many friends in The community and getting to experience it all with my own kid? Better than I deserve but I’ll take it.
Cmon new record!

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

boyyourself wrote: Cmon new record!
That's the whole point, right!? I trust this band completely and totally, and objectivity went out the window a long time ago. Can't wait to see what they've got in store for us later this year.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

death, taxes, and a DBT record every couple years.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Clams wrote:Hmmm, vinegar. It smells like shit but it is very useful for cleaning. Not sure how it applies to music.
Somebody’s gotta mop up the A-1
somebody’s gotta mop up the blood
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

bovine knievel wrote:
Clams wrote:Hmmm, vinegar. It smells like shit but it is very useful for cleaning. Not sure how it applies to music.
Somebody’s gotta mop up the A-1
somebody’s gotta mop up the blood
And they say Dime is a genius
Always go to the show

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

And this so called top chef has never givin any body food poisioning?
Also Clams, next time you get heartburn take a shot of apple cider viniger.
It don't go down as easy as George but it gets the job done.
(kinda like some musical instruments)
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Clams

Post by Clams »

Swamp wrote: Also Clams, next time you get heartburn take a shot of apple cider viniger.
Id rather have the heart burn.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Clams wrote:
Swamp wrote: Also Clams, next time you get heartburn take a shot of apple cider viniger.
Id rather have the heart burn.
As Woody Allen said in Fahrenheit 451, "The heart burns what the heart burns."
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Release date looking more like January than fall, per Patterson during Friday night's show.

Add Wilder Days to the list of new songs; hell it might be the best one yet IMO (it's so fucking good)
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

I actually cannot wait til January. Someone please send me a bootleg.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Smitty wrote:Release date looking more like January than fall, per Patterson during Friday night's show.
Only disappointing thing about the weekend was that news.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

gepman

Post by gepman »

Haven't seen a potential song list for the new album recently, so I decided to stick this here.
I'll stick this list here (what I can recall the past few years) of unrecorded songs...
Some are obviously going to be on the new record (* IMO), others, maybe solo songs...

Patterson songs:
Tough To Let Go
Forged In Hell and Heaven Sent
*Babies In Cages
*21st Century USA
*Rosemary With A Bible And A Gun
*Heroin Again
*Wilder Days
*Awaiting Resurrection
*Welcome 2 Club XIII
*Thoughts And Prayers
Billy Ringo In The Dark

Cooley Songs:
*Slow Ride Argument
218 To Denver

Anyone have anything else I'm not thinking of...? Gotta be 4-5 more Cooley songs we haven't heard yet...

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

gepman wrote:Haven't seen a potential song list for the new album recently, so I decided to stick this here.
I'll stick this list here (what I can recall the past few years) of unrecorded songs...
Some are obviously going to be on the new record (* IMO), others, maybe solo songs...

Patterson songs:
Tough To Let Go
*Babies In Cages
*21st Century USA
*Heroin Again
*Wilder Days
*Awaiting Resurrection
*Welcome 2 Club XIII
*Thoughts And Prayers
Billy Ringo In The Dark

Cooley Songs:
*Slow Ride Argument
218 To Denver

Anyone have anything else I'm not thinking of...? Gotta be 4-5 more Cooley songs we haven't heard yet...
I think they'll end up solo tracks, but there's also Sea Island Lonely & Scott's Sister

gepman

Post by gepman »

Smitty wrote:
gepman wrote:Haven't seen a potential song list for the new album recently, so I decided to stick this here.

Patterson songs:
Tough To Let Go
*Babies In Cages
*21st Century USA
*Heroin Again
*Wilder Days
*Awaiting Resurrection
*Welcome 2 Club XIII
*Thoughts And Prayers
Billy Ringo In The Dark

Cooley Songs:
*Slow Ride Argument
218 To Denver

I think they'll end up solo tracks, but there's also Sea Island Lonely & Scott's Sister
Thanks, forgot those. I think you're right, probably solo material.
Pretty sure 218 to Denver is solo material as well.

roland

Post by roland »

I think the Billy Ringo song will be a solo record track... stay with the Murdering Oscar narrative.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

gepman wrote:
Is there any rumor of a Cooley solo album?
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

pearlbeer wrote:
gepman wrote:
There was awhile back but I haven't heard anything in a long time.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Smitty wrote:
pearlbeer wrote:
gepman wrote:
There was awhile back but I haven't heard anything in a long time.
Pretty sure I heard late 2020 ;)

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

pearlbeer wrote:
I wonder if Cooley could ever write enough songs for a real solo album. In the past he has struggled to write enough for a DBT record, even dipping into some much older songs during the recording of TBTD/GGB.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I need some new DBT and some Rock Shows in my life. I hate to say my passion is waning but I need some reinvigoration.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro