Jan/Feb dates with Lucinda Williams!

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Jan/Feb dates with Lucinda Williams!

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:I love how she brought the house down with Foolishness, which she's worked up as a total anti-Trump song but without ever mentioning his name. It's remarkable that the lyrics ("Don't need any fear mongers in my life" and "Don't need any liars in my life") predate the Trump era by at least a few years, like she knew what was coming when she wrote it. That song should be closing her set instead of being somewhere in the middle like she has it.
Yes.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

beantownbubba wrote:
Clams wrote:I love how she brought the house down with Foolishness, which she's worked up as a total anti-Trump song but without ever mentioning his name. It's remarkable that the lyrics ("Don't need any fear mongers in my life" and "Don't need any liars in my life") predate the Trump era by at least a few years, like she knew what was coming when she wrote it. That song should be closing her set instead of being somewhere in the middle like she has it.
Yes.
I still haven't seen her live. Sigh. I've read that her live shows are kind of hit or miss. Thoughts from those who've seen her multiple times?
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Markalanbishop wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Yes.
I still haven't seen her live. Sigh. I've read that her live shows are kind of hit or miss. Thoughts from those who've seen her multiple times?

I've seen her 5-6 times. The 1st time with DBT @ Merriweather a while back. She had her old guitar guy (can't remeber his name). She was excellent. She covered It's Not My Cross To Bearwhich is a personal favorite.
The last 4-5 times I've seen her was on the Outlaw Country Cruise. Didn't catch her on this last one 'coz she conflicted with DBT. She was very enjoyable every time. A couple of the shows were on the pool deck & it was cold & windy & she don't like that shit, I can tell ya; but she fought gamely on. Also when she plays Drunken Angel or even Buttercup, I could listen through tin cans and be satisfied.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

jr29

Post by jr29 »

beantownbubba wrote:
Yes.
She did the same thing when I saw her here in Memphis in October 2017. The place went bananas.

armPitt

Post by armPitt »

Clams wrote:Lucinda: I've seen her a bunch of times and, bubba, her shows do tend to start slow and build. I thought she was in good form last night and I love how she brought the house down with Foolishness, which she's worked up as a total anti-Trump song but without ever mentioning his name. It's remarkable that the lyrics ("Don't need any fear mongers in my life" and "Don't need any liars in my life") predate the Trump era by at least a few years, like she knew what was coming when she wrote it. That song should be closing her set instead of being somewhere in the middle like she has it.

DBT: This show definitely had a DBT crowd. Love the set list. Started with the drinking songs WWW and 4th Night (!), moved to the political (Babies in CAges and especially Thoughts & Prayers sounded great), and then took off at light speed from Ramon Casiano through the end. Was good to hang up front with Bill and phungi, was GREAT to spend a few minutes with Beantown Bubba's family, spent some time with Mark Lynn and Barr Weissman too. But those were the only folks I knew - I guess everyone's saving up their energy and dollars for Athens.

01. Women Without Whiskey
02. The Fourth Night of My Drinking
03. Shit Shots Count
04. Babies in Cages
05. A Ghost to Most
06. Goode's Field Road
07. First Air of Autumn
08. Thoughts and Prayers
09. Ramon Casiano
10. Ronnie and Neil
11. Marry Me
12. The KKK Took My Baby Away
13. What It Means
14. Surrender Under Protest
15. Lookout Mountain
16. Gravity's Gone
17. Hell No, I Ain't Happy

(first two pics are mine, the last one taken from FB)
This looks like a pretty big crowd and a pretty packed house.