Little Rock and I'm fit to top

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Little Rock and I'm fit to top

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Tuesday night, ah let it rock.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

Re: Little Rock and I'm fit to top

I haven't made a big deal about this because circumstances kept me from doing all I'd like to for it, but this is tonight, Monday the 12th, in Little Rock.

Given the title, I'll obviously be talking a lot about DBT. I decided to downplay DBT a little bit because one of the musicians in the DBT orbit is dealing with a religious stalker right now. I didn't want to encourage anyone to think this was anything like that.

The setup is 6PM and I'll start about 6:30. No one will object if you bring a six-pack as long as you don't get stupid. I'll talk about forty minutes, then use some clips and videos to illustrate my points. If I have time, I'll drop by the store and grab some finger food.

I don't expect to see you there but I will be thrilled if you are.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

I did my very best to quit my job yesterday--tried like a motherfucker--and here I am still. It's less Godfather and more Hotel California and that is no consolation. I am expecting a serious Rock Show tonight--but if they play a really funny one, that'll be okay, too. "That strange little city" Little Rock is the right town for "The President's Penis Is Missing 2018 Remix".

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Not sure how your job (or lack thereof) fits into this, but how did your talk go?

PS Have a great time tonite!!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Yeah, I'm interested in the talk as well.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

John A Arkansawyer

beantownbubba wrote:Not sure how your job (or lack thereof) fits into this, but how did your talk go?
Sparsely attended, which is not why I cut it short. I almost always work from an outline rather than a full script when talking. I've got my paragraphs and my riffs mostly formed in my head and just need nudges to hit them in the right order.

Well, among the disasters of yesterday, when I was taking my meds, I got to the Lisinopril/HCTZ and thought, "Didn't I take one of those already?" Then I went back through my rather crowded pill box (on a normal day I take nine pills, and I have a few more for as needed) and found that what I'd taken was a "see if she's got" klonopin. I've taken exactly one of those before, for panic attacks after my mom died last year, on two occasions in two pieces, each of which hit me really hard. Taking one unexpectedly when I had to function at a pretty high level was--well, let's just say the show did go on, but I am no Patterson Hood and I did not give the performance I should have.

It was good enough, I guess. I've got something useful to say on the subject. Last night was not the night I did so, though. I did enjoy talking about the common spiritual values of Miranda Lambert and Romeo Void, and you can't go wrong closing with A World Of Hurt, specifically the version Patterson played the night of Newtown.

(I don't think I've posted this here. It's the use I made of that version and some other creations a while back: My One Wish For Today, the Second Anniversary of the Newtown Shooting. There's something worthwhile to say in me. I just didn't let it out last night. Autoplay is still on.)
beantownbubba wrote:PS Have a great time tonite!!
I have a plan for doing that! I have a buddy who is even worse off than I am right now. I'm going to buy him a ticket and take him to his first DBT show. What could go wrong?

John A Arkansawyer

pearlbeer wrote:Yeah, I'm interested in the talk as well.
Thanks to you and to beantown for asking! I appreciate it.

John A Arkansawyer

9:34

Shit Shots Count
Fourth Night of My Drinking
One of These Days

my friend Lori is here!

Awaiting Resurrection
Made Up English Oceans
Thoughts and Prayers
Ramon Casiano
Sinkhole
Uncle Frank--there was a moment here where Patterson walked over to Cooley, leaned over, and smiled at him. Cooley looked over and, after a moment, grinned back at him. There was some sort of wordless communication going on. I have no idea what.
Used To Be A Cop
Gravity's Gone
I thought they were going to cover Cinnamon Girl! But it was Drag The Lake Charlie. Has anyone else heard this?
First Air Of Autumn
Dedicated to T. Hardy Morris: My Sweet Annette
Marry Me
The Company I Keep
Three Dimes Down
Darkened Flags on the Cusp of Dawn
Surrender Under Protest
What It Means--my friend who I took along has a gimpy knee and spent most of the show sitting out of sight of the band, but came down far Cooleyside for this one. (He's also got hearing issues that make really loud sounds problematic, and forgot his earplugs.) He reports there was a small group of people including two guys who were flipping the bird at Patterson during part of this, and I think heckling as well. Then they turned it off on a dime and got back into the show. He asked one of their friends what those guys deal was. "Oh, they're Republicans," the friend said, "but we love them anyway." I guess if they weren't annoying enough for Patterson to take notice, they couldn't've been that badly behaved. But that song continues to hit a nerve in like nothing else DBT has ever done.
Women Without Whiskey
Runaway Train
Slow Ride Argument
Babies In Cages, not Heroin Again as I'd thought. When I thought it was Heroin Again, I said, "If it wasn't, it should have been. Cooley played the most evil solo I have ever heard him play on this. That is not an exaggeration. It was genuinely unnerving." I will stand entirely behind the last three sentences.
Kinky Hypocrite
(it's possible I missed a song here. I don't think I did, but if I did and someone named it, I think I'd know it.)
The KKK Took My Baby Away
Let There Be Rock--My friend Lori was up front over toward Jay, but saw me and wheeled over Cooleyside and hugged me. I had no idea she'd come down from Springfield for this! Patterson noticed her, came over, got down almost low enough to be eye-level with her, and sang most of the second verse right to her, then handed her his pick. That was a very good moment to stand right next to and watch.

11:52

This was a very different set list than I'm used to. I am a particular fan of Fourth Night Of My Drinking (though I think Patterson got it right the first time he wrote it with a stick in the guy's hand) and Drag The Lake Charlie and had especially been missing the latter. I really enjoy the sound and vibe of the Shonna-era records, even though they are spottier than most of DBT's stuff. And speaking of Shonna, I noticed Matt had changed the bass line to Used To Be A Cop quite a bit from the last time I'd heard it. Anyway, there were a lot of songs one expects that didn't get played, and that's okay with me. Several are favorites of mine--Zip City, Hell No I Ain't Happy, Shut Up And Get On The Plane--but I will not complain about the song choice. I do think toward the end someone's guitar--I'm not sure whose--had tuning problems for a couple of songs.

It was a good show, and a couple of times I got that particular lift-off feeling that gets me through the night. And by night, I mean the day after the night of the show, and the day after that, and the day after that.
Last edited by John A Arkansawyer on Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

John A Arkansawyer

SSC
4TH
OOTD

my friend Lori is here!
Res
Eo

John A Arkansawyer

SSC
4TH
OOTD

my friend Lori is here!
Res
Eo
Th&p
Ramon
Sink
Uncle
Cop
Gg
Cinnamon girl! Fakeout onto lake
First air
Dedicated to TMM: Anneyye
Marry
Company
3dd
Flags
SUP
WIM
Runaway Train
SRA
HA?
KH
Kkk
Ltbr

John A Arkansawyer

27 songs, 2:20. Pretty damn good for a Tuesday night.

nowigotworry

Post by nowigotworry »

I don't really post here, so briefly: I have been seeing DBT since 2004 when I was 16 years old. I consider them to be probably my favorite band, although I don't like a lot of the fanboy type stuff associated with the band these days, and while their music has often moved me to tears, I'll readily admit when I don't think the band is at their best (TBTD, GGB) or when they're downright awful (Thanksgiving Filter, When the Sun Don't Shine).

A couple thoughts on tonight:

1. What the hell was up with the bass? I happily welcomed Matt to the band and he's sounded great every time I've seen him, but tonight was terrible. The mids were cranked to the gills for some reason, the bass often overpowered the rest of the band, and Matt was playing these 80s cocaine funk lines in half the songs that made it stand out even more. I was actually pissed off at a few points.

2. Up until about First Air of Autumn, I really felt like the band was phoning it in. I could certainly be making false assumptions, but Patterson seemed almost irritated that he had to perform and no one else really seemed particularly thrilled either -- it was just missing that magic that happens more often than not at Truckers shows. Once First Air of Autumn came around the magic was somehow reborn and the second half of the show was really solid overall. (Sidenote: of all the obscurities to bring back into the setlist, Drag the Lake Charlie would be near the very bottom of my list).

3. I really dislike Babies in Cages (I think that's what it was? Came after One of These Days)...I just don't think Patterson does the 'slow burner' very well. No dynamics, no real tune, just 'blah' for a lack of a better word. However, I like Slow Ride Argument as much as I dislike that track -- Cooley has truly been on a roll since English Oceans, and it doesn't seem to be ending anytime soon. This was my first time hearing it, but it's a great song.

I almost felt like leaving about 10 songs in, but eventually the band came around and I was glad that I went. The spoken section of What It Means was particularly affecting tonight. Not the best show I've ever seen from them, but they still showed that they can be the best band around at times.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Who/what is TMM?
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

John A Arkansawyer

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Who/what is TMM?
TMM == T. Hardy Morris.

Why two Ms? Because I'm a dumbass. So sue me. Sue me. What can you do me?

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
TMM == T. Hardy Morris.

Thanks....... dumbass
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

John A Arkansawyer

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:
TMM == T. Hardy Morris.

Thanks....... dumbass
I'm suing. Or else telling my mom. And she's dead. ;-)

John A Arkansawyer

I got one wrong! The song near the end is Babies In Cages, not Heroin Again.