Homecoming 2019: Feb 13-16 (Thur., Fri, Sat.) Sold Out)

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

phungi

Re: Homecoming 2019: Feb 13-16 (general on-sale 11/2 @ 10 am

Post by phungi »

Jonicont wrote:
brett27295 wrote:Scored three 4 day passes & locked down a 2 bedroom condo a few blocks from the 40 Watt. This will be our 8th HC...as long as I can get over a nagging health issue or two.
Don't worry about the baby girl. She'll have 40 uncles looking out
Very few scenarios where this wouldn't be creepy, but this is one of them...
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Agerst1574

Post by Agerst1574 »

I had to pass on the presale as my plans were changing. I decided to go on the 15th and 16th as opposed to the one night I was planning. If I book my plane tonight I can get a fantastic deal using my points that probably won’t be available tomorrow.( it will be thousands of points more). I am concerned about booking tonight and not getting tickets tomorrow, How long does it usually take the Friday and Sarurday shows to sell out? I plan to be at my computer at 10:00 tomorrow. Is it usually an instant sellout or does it take a while?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Agerst1574 wrote:I had to pass on the presale as my plans were changing. I decided to go on the 15th and 16th as opposed to the one night I was planning. If I book my plane tonight I can get a fantastic deal using my points that probably won’t be available tomorrow.( it will be thousands of points more). I am concerned about booking tonight and not getting tickets tomorrow, How long does it usually take the Friday and Sarurday shows to sell out? I plan to be at my computer at 10:00 tomorrow. Is it usually an instant sellout or does it take a while?
You’re fine. Saturday won’t sell out for 2-3 weeks and the others after that
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

beantownbubba wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:Flea and Clams return after being on the "unable to play" list in 2018! I know they are still listed as day-to-day, but there's a difference between pain and injury, fellas. Just sayin'.
I believe it was the "physically unable to perform" list which is a whole 'nother thing.
Mic drop
Always go to the show

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

beantownbubba wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:Flea and Clams return after being on the "unable to play" list in 2018! I know they are still listed as day-to-day, but there's a difference between pain and injury, fellas. Just sayin'.
I believe it was the "physically unable to perform" list which is a whole 'nother thing.
A couple of broken bones sticking out of one's leg is no excuse! :lol:
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Oh, the stories we will have the time to share!
Now it's dark.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Agerst1574 wrote:I had to pass on the presale as my plans were changing. I decided to go on the 15th and 16th as opposed to the one night I was planning. If I book my plane tonight I can get a fantastic deal using my points that probably won’t be available tomorrow.( it will be thousands of points more). I am concerned about booking tonight and not getting tickets tomorrow, How long does it usually take the Friday and Sarurday shows to sell out? I plan to be at my computer at 10:00 tomorrow. Is it usually an instant sellout or does it take a while?
You will be fine. Buy your plane tix w/ confidence.

Edit: Sorry, I posted this before seeing tc's response.
They're not monsters. They're not animals.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Ok, they're up, got 3/4, but Thursday is currently priced at $520...

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Ok, ticket price glitch fixed, I'm all in.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

With a few minor hiccups, tickets are secured as well as lodging. Now, we wait.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Grabbing tix from the 40watt. Are there no package options available anymore?
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

pearlbeer wrote:Grabbing tix from the 40watt. Are there no package options available anymore?
Nope. Was a short lived presale thing.

Agerst1574

Post by Agerst1574 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
You’re fine. Saturday won’t sell out for 2-3 weeks and the others after that

Thanks Tequila. Tickets were easy to get. My first Homecoming after seeing the band in 5-6 different states and many times.

woollyB

Post by woollyB »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:You’re fine. Saturday won’t sell out for 2-3 weeks and the others after that
I would've said the same thing but I just had a scare at lunch break today when Ticketfly was showing no tickets available for Saturday. I swung by this forum to see if DBT somehow became massively more popular, saw nothing about Saturday selling out instantly, went back to Ticketfly and tickets were available. Just a glitch I suppose, but don't delay!

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Tickets purchased. Athens bound.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Tyler wrote:Ok, they're up, got 3/4, but Thursday is currently priced at $520...
For a minute I was wondering how I was going to explain to my wife that HC tickets were over $600 this year. :D

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Markalanbishop wrote:
Tyler wrote:Ok, they're up, got 3/4, but Thursday is currently priced at $520...
For a minute I was wondering how I was going to explain to my wife that HC tickets were over $600 this year. :D
The first reasonable response I've seen to that temporary glitch :lol:

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:
The first reasonable response I've seen to that temporary glitch :lol:
One of those situations where you just make the purchase, then when the credit card bill comes: "But I told you about that, you just forgot!" Yes, I have used this ploy many times in my life. She would have caught on, but the memory is short. The gift that keeps on giving, in some fashion.
Now it's dark.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

According to the 40 Watt site, Saturday is sold out.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Bill in CT wrote:According to the 40 Watt site, Saturday is sold out.
Assuming this not a ticketfly glitch, that's pretty exciting for the band.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Markalanbishop wrote:
Assuming this is true, yes it's great for the band but it's also a sign of BIG headaches ahead, maybe as soon as next year. Either the shows will have to move to another, inherently less desirable, venue or lots of real fans are gonna be shut out of tix and the scramble for tickets is going to get quite intense and emotional. The temptation for the band to raise prices significantly will also be pretty intense.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:
Assuming this is true, yes it's great for the band but it's also a sign of BIG headaches ahead, maybe as soon as next year. Either the shows will have to move to another, inherently less desirable, venue or lots of real fans are gonna be shut out of tix and the scramble for tickets is going to get quite intense and emotional. The temptation for the band to raise prices significantly will also be pretty intense.
I blame Cla...I mean, Kings of Leon.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Agerst1574

Post by Agerst1574 »

[quote="John A Arkansawyer"][quote="beantownbubba"][quote="Markalanbishop"][quote="Bill in CT"]According to the 40 Watt site, Saturday is sold out.[/

Assuming this is true, yes it's great for the band but it's also a sign of BIG headaches ahead, maybe as soon as next year. Either the shows will have to move to another, inherently less desirable, venue or lots of real fans are gonna be shut out of tix and the scramble for tickets is going to get quite intense and emotional. The temptation for the band to raise prices significantly will also be pretty intense.[/quote

I have a different take on this. Nearly two years ago I flew from NYC to Nashville to see DBT at the Ryman and they were unable to sell it out where a couple of months prior to that Jason Isbell sold four or five nights at the same venue. I saw them later on that year at the Culture Room in Fort Lauderdale which is a relatively small venue and they did not sell out. They did not sell out the Brooklyn Bowl last year when I saw them.

More power to them I’df they are able to sell out a venue in one day. They have worked hard as a touring band and if the demand for tickets is greater, good. Hopefully they can get away from playing clubs and play more 3000 seats theaters. I just realized the largest venue I have seen them in NYC was at the Beacon and it was a great show.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Holy shit this is shocking. When we first started going to Homecoming it would take until January until Saturday sold out. Even last year it was several weeks, maybe even a month.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

alquina
Location: Indiana girl from a town a man with a "T" wrote a song about!

Post by alquina »

Holy shit, they sold out Saturday in hours!
I'm thrilled for the band!

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

beantownbubba wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:
I think you're overreacting about the possible headaches. It's not like all 3 shows sold out in under an hour. The Saturday show sold out on the first day of the regular on sale...many hours after they went on sale. The only adjustment I can see for next year is that fans will be sure to buy Saturday on the first day tickets are on sale.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

alquina wrote:Holy shit, they sold out Saturday in hours!
I'm thrilled for the band!
I agree with you. It's a great thing.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Bill in CT wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:
I think you're overreacting about the possible headaches. It's not like all 3 shows sold out in under an hour. The Saturday show sold out on the first day of the regular on sale...many hours after they went on sale. The only adjustment I can see for next year is that fans will be sure to buy Saturday on the first day tickets are on sale.
I don't think I'm overreacting, I think I'm making a reasonable prediction and one that implies continued and growing success for the band. Did you see the reactions on FB when people (a) couldn't get the 4 show package and (b) couldn't get tix to the individual nites in the pre-sale? Not quite panic but pretty emotional. If we assume those emotions were tamped down by the knowledge/belief that tix would be available in the regular sale w/out a sweat then we can also assume those emotions will be on edge if ticket availability is uncertain (to say nothing of unavailable). Remember, we're not just talking about tix, we're talking about people making other commitments: for time off work, coverage for the kids, plane tix (almost always non-refundable) and hotels (sometimes non-refundable). Does one come anyway if you only get Thurs/Fri tix? What about only Thurs? What I'm saying is that ticket availability is (i) becoming an issue for "real", hardcore long term fans and (ii) ticket uncertainty creates a lot of stress. Let's also remember we're talking about a venue of fixed and small size. None of this is the band's fault and as I've said, I agree w/ everyone that this is great for the band. But growth comes w/ growing pains. I don't think that's controversial. As problems go, they're the best kind to have. As long as I get my tickets.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

GW said he bought Saturday tickets about 5 his time. That's about 6 Athens time. So 8 hours after Saturday tickets on sale, they were not yet sold out.

Let's look at some upcoming multi night runs.

3 shows in Birmingham - none are sold out
2 shows in Nashville - neither is sold out
2 shows in Austin - neither is sold out

I think it's great that Saturday in Athens sold out in less than a day. I just don't think it signals a huge shift in terms of fans getting tickets for DBT shows.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Bill in CT wrote:GW said he bought Saturday tickets about 5 his time. That's about 6 Athens time. So 8 hours after Saturday tickets on sale, they were not yet sold out.

Let's look at some upcoming multi night runs.

3 shows in Birmingham - none are sold out
2 shows in Nashville - neither is sold out
2 shows in Austin - neither is sold out

I think it's great that Saturday in Athens sold out in less than a day. I just don't think it signals a huge shift in terms of fans getting tickets for DBT shows.
Well I guess that is the question. I think the answer is that if it wasn't before, homecoming is now becoming its different, own kind of beast with different ticket dynamics than even other traditionally "hot" DBT towns. Or put another way, nobody's written a book about attending the Rock Show in Birmingham, Boston or Boise. :D