Homecoming 2019: Feb 13-16 (Thur., Fri, Sat.) Sold Out)

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

glennrwordman

Re: Homecoming 2019: Feb 13-16 (Thur., Fri, Sat.) Sold Out)

Post by glennrwordman »

Clams wrote:
gordonlw wrote:
Don Chambers

02. Sorrows Like Sea Billows Roll
So that's what they were singing. Nothing like kicking off your opening set with an unintelligible 10 minute droner. That was a really weird song. IMO.
I thought Don Chambers himself was really charismatic. (Although the song in question might've had Nick Cave consulting his attorneys). The challenge for me with DC's band was that the drummer, IMO, was just not very good. Played basically the same rhythm for every song, with little dynamics, and when he DID have a "moment" (a big drum roll, followed by a crash), it was just...off. Lost the beat entirely. Really puzzling, since the rest of the band was very, very good. But that for me was an impediment to really digging DC's set.
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

Flea

Post by Flea »

gordonlw wrote:
Clams wrote:
gordonlw wrote:
Don Chambers

So that's what they were singing. Nothing like kicking off your opening set with an unintelligible 10 minute droner. That was a really weird song. IMO.
I dug it
Ditto
Now it's dark.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Flea wrote:
gordonlw wrote:
I dug it
Ditto
As did I. Quite a bit.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Clams wrote:
gordonlw wrote:
Don Chambers

I think that I focused in on one of the backup singers. I had heard of Don Chanbers (Goat), but the first song wasn’t what I was expecting!

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Smitty wrote:There was also a moment Saturday night when I looked around and realized I was surrounded by Allison (who I must say is probably my favorite human being on earth), Clams, Lara, Nick Sainz, the bogarts, the Joniconts, OBL, ramonz, headhunter, joe, flea, the beaverdams, Dru, Jack Flash, Mark & Maddy, tyler, and even for song or two BTB , and even further back was Luke & Sarah, Kevin, lorna & co, the gavney's, bigtom, rod, ian, van, etc etc(including Gary's face, probably stuck down someone's pants) and I thought about all the years I've known these people and how rare it is for us to be in the same place (even during shows I usually end up on the opposite side from most of these folks for whatever reason) and I got a little teary-eyed. I think I joined 9B in 2004/2005 which it hadn't dawned on me was 15 fucking years ago. There's been a multitude of names and faces in that time that have come and gone, but just the fact that there are so many of us still here and together in that moment was a beautiful epiphany.
So occupationally I’m often writing, but y’all are some articulate mofos! I’ve read so many good synopses which summarized many of my thoughts of last weekend. While I appreciate so many of the posts, I’m always impressed by BBubba’s ability to compose thoughts at 4am! I believe that I met a few new faces this year, but so many of you have become old friends. I don’t know if my first homecoming shows will ever be topped for me, but I’ve enjoyed forging deeper friendships each year since. I’m not even going to attempt to name names, but Smitty, I believe that I recall late Saturday night you standing a person or two in front of me, and our eyes meeting (you mentioned looking back in your post). I think I was having similar thoughts. I looked around most nights and just felt extremely thanksful to be surrounded by so many wonderful people.

I hope not too many of you had the crud. I came home feeling pretty well. Other than scheduled 3DD events and the shows (and awesome meals) Bryan and I rested. I felt pretty well on Monday and on Tuesday morning but by the evening I was sick. I’m on the mend now...and consider it a small price to pay for the fun that I had.

Speaking of which I have time to write now because my wife left me at home with the kids so that she could play cards with our friends...agian small price (she had the kids all last weekend—which of course started Wednesday)!

Love y’all! How much longer till February 2020???

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

VERY chatty but I know some folks want to hear it......

https://archive.org/details/jay2019-02-13.mk41.flac16

Jay Gonzalez
2019/02/13
40 Watt Club
Athens, GA

source: Schoeps mk41 (dina) > Nbob > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices Mixpre-6 @ 24/48
transfer: SDHC > PC > Wavelab 6.1 (gain, fades) > iZotope RX 6 (edits) > CD Wave > Wavelab 6.1 (crystal resampler, MBIT+ dither) > THL (flac 8) > Foobar (tags)

*16bit/44.1khz fileset*

recorded and transferred by Gordon Wilson

A Team Dirty South Recording

01. Welcome Back
02. Gotta Get Up
03. I Saw the Light
04. Short People
05. Go All the Way *
06. I Will
07. Goodbye Girl
08. Desperados Under The Eaves
09. Jackie Blue
10. Hello It's Me **
11. The Things We Do For Love
12. Dirty Work
13. Lonely Boy
14. Wichita Lineman
15. Is She Really Going Out with Him? ***
16. Magic
17. Medley (How Deep Is Your Love, Magnet and Steel, The Air That I Breathe, Lotta Love) >
18. They Don't Know
19. Cruel to Be Kind

* w/ Patterson Hood & David Barbe
** w/ Patterson Hood
*** w/ David Barbe

Opened for Adam's House Cat

Very chatty! You have been warned!

Huge thanks to Rage Cage for the mic loan!

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Beaverdam wrote: I hope not too many of you had the crud.
After avoiding it the last three years, I got a good case of the Homecoming Crud. Started on Wednesday and it's been kicking my ass since. Totally worth it though.
Let the outside air in

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Clams wrote:
gordonlw wrote:
Don Chambers

Lol. My reaction as well, Clams. 'Cause I had no idea. Having seen Don open for the Truckers before I had some idea of what to expect so it didn't throw me off like it might normally would have. It was a weird song and a weird way to start a set. Not bad. Just weird. Mad Mike liked it a lot and kept referring to "the song where they were saying something about the ocean.". I just went along with it. One thing is for sure, Don was into it. Big time. And even if it ain't exactly my cup of tea I definitely appreciate that.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Reflecting on the weekend, I think we need to address jonicont's "winning" the handwritten PH lyrics at the Hangout gathering. I've heard rumors that he froze his ticket before placing it in the bin to make it easier to pick, much like the NY Knicks did in the 1985 NBA lottery so they could draft Patrick Ewing. Come to think of it, jonicont was living in NYC in 1985. Hmmm.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

I overdid my still new to me vape pen and was incredibly stoned during Jay's set Wednesday night. The disco ball was going the whole set. I would occasionally get myopically focused on the stage and then flinch when the lights came toward me. Fortunately I found it funny instead of going and hiding in the corner or something. Good fucking times!
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Markalanbishop wrote:I overdid my still new to me vape pen and was incredibly stoned during Jay's set Wednesday night. The disco ball was going the whole set. I would occasionally get myopically focused on the stage and then flinch when the lights came toward me. Fortunately I found it funny instead of going and hiding in the corner or something. Good fucking times!
I started Wednesday night with an indica cartridge I'd never used before. It was potent and awesome. In fact, there was only about a quarter of the gram left by weekend's end.
Now it's dark.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Markalanbishop wrote:Reflecting on the weekend, I think we need to address jonicont's "winning" the handwritten PH lyrics at the Hangout gathering. I've heard rumors that he froze his ticket before placing it in the bin to make it easier to pick, much like the NY Knicks did in the 1985 NBA lottery so they could draft Patrick Ewing. Come to think of it, jonicont was living in NYC in 1985. Hmmm.
Well it was about time. Haven't had much luck with the Knicks Picks since then
Always go to the show

Danger Bird

Post by Danger Bird »

My friend and I rented a little bungalow on Pulaski for this year’s HC. On the day that we arrived, they started clear cutting the lot directly across the street. Rumor has it that they are building a Piggly Wiggly or something. Anyway, I guess the commotion stirred up all the vermin that were living on that hill. What came next really set the tone for the week. A giant owl took up residence on the power lines right in front of our house. Every evening he would take his perch and wait silently for prey to emerge. He would then swoop down and return to his perch to devour his meal right in front of us and repeat several times. Watching that owl during our nightly pregame ritual was something we will never forget. It was symbolic of departed loved ones, new friends, DBT and the music we love so much. Unreal.

Couple other highlights:
Wednesday night was just plain fun. Jay was tremendous and the after party at Flickr was great. I ended up getting into a strange debate with some other drunk about which bathroom would become available next while we were waiting in line. It was a ridiculous conversation. I didn’t realize until that next night that it was Don Chambers!

Fried chicken, collards and mid-morning cocktails at the upstairs bar in The Place.

Friday afternoon hangout is always great. I enjoy it so much. This year was even better because I ran into an old friend that I didn’t even know was going to be there. I also enjoyed meeting the “Steve McQueen” guy. He and his wife are great. Kind of pissed DBT didn’t play Steve McQueen now that I’m thinking about it.

Of course the music. Friday night was the show for me. The SRO tease, Margo and Harold, The Southern Thing… Not to mention World of Hurt which I can never seem get enough of. It was almost more than I could handle!

Only a couple low points. Massive but short lived hangover on Thursday. I still come out of the gate a little hard even after all these years. Long drive home on 85N. That highway was definitely mean! Oh yeah, Babies in Cages. Don’t like it, never will. Oh well.

It’s truly fucking great to be alive!

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

So Bryan and I stayed at the Holiday Inn this year, because we couldn’t find anything else. We liked the HI, and my wife actually booked us a room for Valentine’s weekend 2020 at the HI after she found a room for under $100. The HI may have been slightly more expensive than the courtyard, but we saved significantly on Uber’s. Normally we uber back from shows, but the HI was so close that we didn’t need uber.

I’d enjoy the camaraderie of the Days, but I don’t think I can talk Bryan into it. One of the HI highlights for me this year was meeting Cole’s folks outside the workout room and learning his mom grew up in the same area as I did! Small world!

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

HOMECOMING THURSDAY NIGHT

I started to post this in the "what are you listening to" thread, but I think it belongs here.

I downloaded all the shows right after they were up, but I put off listening until tonight to give it some space. This year was only my 5th Homecoming and I posted previously that this year was a solid #1 for me.

Hearing it again, I realize that it wasn't just bias of what I saw most recently. Every time you think this band has hit the ceiling of what's possible, they come back out and blow your mind all over again.

Thursday was a surprise of rarities. Friday was "oh holy shit, are they gonna keep going on SRO"? Going into Saturday was "they haven't played 'this' or 'this' or 'this' ----- oh hell, they're gonna burn down the fucking house." And then they did.

I'd love to see the HC setlist look like this forever---this is when the hardcore fans have come from all over the continent and beyond. Mix it up crazy the first two nights and leave you knowing your face is gonna melt Saturday.
Let the outside air in

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

schlanky wrote: I'd love to see the HC setlist look like this forever---this is when the hardcore fans have come from all over the continent and beyond. Mix it up crazy the first two nights and leave you knowing your face is gonna melt Saturday.
You nailed it. This year was our 8th and it was my favorite. The incredibly high level they managed to hit all 4 nights was something to see...and hear again on the recordings. I can't wait until next year's fundraiser to get Thursday night on Blu-Ray!
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I got asked a question today in the form of a statement: ""Tell me about a favourite ritual". I was just going to write a sentence, but I kept adding comments, and here's what I finally said:

After a great rock show or other event, I keep the wristbands on till they fall off.

We have Drive-By Truckers Homecoming at the 40 Watt, where the coat checkers write the number of your item on your wristband with a Sharpie. I play with the numbers, whether they're in order, whether the order is rising or falling, how they factor, what they might signify. This year, I got:
168--the hours in a week
93--the passengers who fought back
111--a sixth of the way there

It also lets me have some idea where I was in line each time. ;-)

In the days after that in particular, I play with the wristbands, stacking them on my wrist, in date order sometimes, but really in whatever order they fit my arm best, the largest furthest up, each other slid under the next largest, a little showing of each.

They'd last longer if I didn't, but then, so would I.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

^^^ like
They're not monsters. They're not animals.

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

Finally working on the audio of the Homecoming openers. Jay & Don have already been posted and are on archive. I will post Dropbox links here for the rest.

Eyelids Flac:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ykhz96rpzdf2 ... BeMha?dl=0

Eyelids MP3:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jymuweo7e1kj ... -EMKa?dl=0

Eyelids
2019/02/15
40 Watt Club
Athens, GA

source: Microtech Gefell M20 (din) > Nbob KCY > Naiant PFA (60V) > Sound Devices Mixpre-6 @ 24/48
transfer: SDHC > PC > Wavelab 6.1 (gain, fades) > CD Wave > Wavelab 6.1 (crystal resampler, MBIT+ dither) > THL (flac 8) > Foobar (tags)

*16bit/44.1khz fileset*

01. Intro by Patterson Hood
02. I Can’t Be Told
03. Seagulls Into Submission
04. Camelot *
05. Falling Eyes
06. Tell Me You Know
07. My Caved in Mind
08. Masterpiece (Wanna Die)
09. It's About To Go Down
10. Insomnia
11. The Accidental Falls
12. Bound to Let You Down
13. Slow It Goes
14. You Know I Gotta Reason
15. Say It's Alright

* w/ Jay Gonzalez

Opened for Drive-By Truckers

Huge thanks to jbell for the mic loan!

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

Camp Amped Band

Flac:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/67nqdot2r0zk ... C3wna?dl=0

mp3:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nptorjjwxebx ... vYpoa?dl=0

Camp Amped Band
2019/02/16
40 Watt Club
Athens, GA

source: Microtech Gefell M20 (din) > Nbob KCY > Naiant PFA (60V) > Sound Devices Mixpre-6 @ 24/48
transfer: SDHC > PC > Wavelab 6.1 (gain, fades) > CD Wave > Wavelab 6.1 (crystal resampler, MBIT+ dither) > THL (flac 8) > Foobar (tags)

*16bit/44.1khz fileset*

02. ?
03. Creep
04. Make My Day?
05. ?
06. ?
07. ?

opened for Drive-By Truckers

Huge thanks to jbell for the mic loan!

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

Lingua Franca

Flac:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bme2t7hrlppv ... E2Bla?dl=0

mp3:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u1kcwjiswu1t ... vlTMa?dl=0

Lingua Franca
2019/02/16
40 Watt Club
Athens, GA

*16bit/44.1khz fileset*

02. Gold Bike
03. The Seeds That I Planted
04. Styrofoam Plates >
05. It's not too late
06. Ra Ra Ra
07. The Good Feels >
08. ?
09. Takes No Action