What keeps you coming back for more?

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

ledward2

What keeps you coming back for more?

Post by ledward2 »

Another question for my dissertation:

As ardent fans, what keeps you coming back for more? It seems reasonable to say that once a person becomes totally familiar with something, that person will more than likely move on to something else. Is it the music? Lyrics? Rock Shows? Community? Homecoming? All of the above? None of the above?

Thanks in advance.

IGTBA!
Lee
"Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time."

boyyourself

Re: What keeps you coming back for more?

Post by boyyourself »

It’s not necessarily what keeps me coming back, it’s that I’ve never left. Why? I could try to put it into words, my critical mind thinks about it a lot. Why after fifteen plus years am I still head over heels for this band? For me I think one of the keys is variety. Having Patterson, Cooley, and for a time, Isbell, sharing duties, keeps it fresh. Especially with how different they are from one another. And now having Cooley and Hood go back and forth on records and for the show is stupendous.
Also, I have so much admiration for how this band is always moving forward and evolving. Never resting. Never settling. Always seeking a creative spark. At times in my my heart I want them to be derivative of themselves so I can be comfortable immediately with something new they put out or play. But they never do. The new stuff hovers beyond my receptors but always keeps me coming back for infinite spins until it is ingrained in my soul and I love it unconditionally. It actually fucking amazes me how that happens because it doesn’t happen that way with this much consistency with anyone else. Not even close.
Honesty and realness plays a critical role for me as well. I do not feel as though anyone from this band has ever tried to bullshit me about anything ever on any level. Period.
And how personal their whole story and their music are to me is incredible. As I grew up in the Texas panhandle(I’m generalizing a region for the sake of my story), even as a wee lad, I never bought any of the b s they tried to sell me and consequently still rebel to this day. Patterson and Cooley always reminded me of my cool older cousins. I mean literally in how they look and talk. And then records like SRO really comforted my soul for reasons beyond explanation but mostly for how freely I associated it all with my own life.
And of course the Rawk Show which has maintained an impossible to believe level of consistency culminating with 90 songs in three nights in Colorado a couple weeks ago which include a bunch of brand new unreleased songs that have me geeked for the next record as always.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

boyyourself wrote:It’s not necessarily what keeps me coming back, it’s that I’ve never left. Why? I could try to put it into words, my critical mind thinks about it a lot. Why after fifteen plus years am I still head over heels for this band? For me I think one of the keys is variety. Having Patterson, Cooley, and for a time, Isbell, sharing duties, keeps it fresh. Especially with how different they are from one another. And now having Cooley and Hood go back and forth on records and for the show is stupendous.
Also, I have so much admiration for how this band is always moving forward and evolving. Never resting. Never settling. Always seeking a creative spark. At times in my my heart I want them to be derivative of themselves so I can be comfortable immediately with something new they put out or play. But they never do. The new stuff hovers beyond my receptors but always keeps me coming back for infinite spins until it is ingrained in my soul and I love it unconditionally. It actually fucking amazes me how that happens because it doesn’t happen that way with this much consistency with anyone else. Not even close.
Honesty and realness plays a critical role for me as well. I do not feel as though anyone from this band has ever tried to bullshit me about anything ever on any level. Period.
And how personal their whole story and their music are to me is incredible. As I grew up in the Texas panhandle(I’m generalizing a region for the sake of my story), even as a wee lad, I never bought any of the b s they tried to sell me and consequently still rebel to this day. Patterson and Cooley always reminded me of my cool older cousins. I mean literally in how they look and talk. And then records like SRO really comforted my soul for reasons beyond explanation but mostly for how freely I associated it all with my own life.
And of course the Rawk Show which has maintained an impossible to believe level of consistency culminating with 90 songs in three nights in Colorado a couple weeks ago which include a bunch of brand new unreleased songs that have me geeked for the next record as always.
This is the essay everyone on this board will write (though not as well). Don't think you need more than this Lee
Always go to the show

Flea

Post by Flea »

Jonicont wrote:
boyyourself wrote:It’s not necessarily what keeps me coming back, it’s that I’ve never left. Why? I could try to put it into words, my critical mind thinks about it a lot. Why after fifteen plus years am I still head over heels for this band? For me I think one of the keys is variety. Having Patterson, Cooley, and for a time, Isbell, sharing duties, keeps it fresh. Especially with how different they are from one another. And now having Cooley and Hood go back and forth on records and for the show is stupendous.
This is the essay everyone on this board will write (though not as well). Don't think you need more than this Lee
But he forgot to mention the camaraderie of the HeAthens.
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

I keep coming back for those sweet, sweet Soros checks :lol:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:I keep coming back for those sweet, sweet Soros checks :lol:
Dammit! I've never gotten shit. Who do I see about this?
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Either the assess chaps or horse (heroin). Toss up.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

hovers beyond my receptors
Well said man
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

The extremely high quality rock n roll.
Keep calm and have a cigar

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

I keep coming back because there's usually great fried chicken near where they play!
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:I keep coming back for those sweet, sweet Soros checks :lol:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Rolling Stone cheap seats in Jax, $200.00
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?