Adam's House Cat- Town Burned Down RELEASED!

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Adam's House Cat- Town Burned Down RELEASED!

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Y'all are slackin'. I expected a thread. Thoughts? So far I love what I hear but I haven't had a real chance to dive in yet and my vinyl isn't supposed to be here until Tuesday. So great to finally hear this on an official release!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Sterling Bigmouth

Re: Adam's House Cat- Town Burned Down RELEASED!

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Listened this morning, the reviews are all highlighting Runaway Train and Shot Rang Out, but I think some of the others like Down on Me and 6 O’Clock Train are great as well. Also nice to hear Buttholeville and Lookout Mountain in their earlier forms of course.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

roland

Post by roland »

Got it from Apple Music this morning. Listened to it once on earbuds and once in the car. When the Mrs. gets home, I'm going to put it on the towers in the living room with an Evan on ice. I like it, and am impressed with the engineering. I'm going to preface my wife's listening with "What if DBT never happened, and this band became popular in the 90's alt-rock genre.

eta- how fitting that this post is #420 for me, and I'm talking about a great release, vaping an 80/20 The Wife and OG Cush blend, while sweating in the garage listening to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band on the Wifi.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Haven't listened yet, but planning on picking up a vinyl copy at the Knoxville show next week.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

In a perfect world, PREORDER should mean we'll get it to you on release day for ordering in advance. I blame Clams.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

coornelius

Post by coornelius »

This sounds so much better than what was out on the web. I was skeptical about the redone vocals, but they made the whole project so much more listenable. This is very good and I'm glad it's out in the world.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

bovine knievel wrote:In a perfect world, PREORDER should mean we'll get it to you on release day for ordering in advance. I blame Clams.
Mine actually arrived on time! Score one for musictoday. Fifth time’s a charm I guess. ;)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

bovine knievel wrote:In a perfect world, PREORDER should mean we'll get it to you on release day for ordering in advance. I blame Clams.

Strangely I got mine today even though the tracking said it was coming Tuesday. Trying to wrap up work so I can spin that bad boy. I've already listened to the digital version

Flea

Post by Flea »

roland wrote:
eta- how fitting that this post is #420 for me, and I'm talking about a great release, vaping an 80/20 The Wife and OG Cush blend, while sweating in the garage listening to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band on the Wifi.
I like the way you talk, mmm hmmm.
Now it's dark.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Sadly not available in the Norwegian iTunes store, which happens from time to time with some of the releases I am interested in, which means I will have to wait for the mailman.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Wasn't sure I was going to like the re-recorded vocals but I think Patterson did a good job capturing the vibe of the original recording. The new vocals fit perfectly somehow. Nice to have this album in good quality, it's a good one!

Flea

Post by Flea »

For the obsessive/compulsive fans out there: are you going to file this immediately before Gangstabilly in your collection, or will Adam's House Cat have it's own spot? I cannot decide.
Now it's dark.

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

My MusicToday pre-order still hasn't arrived here in northwest Georgia so I am listening to it on Amazon now. Sounds friggin' great! The old circulated copy is dead to me. :lol: I am so damn excited this finally has a proper release! Currently on track 5/12.
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Flea wrote:For the obsessive/compulsive fans out there: are you going to file this immediately before Gangstabilly in your collection, or will Adam's House Cat have it's own spot? I cannot decide.
It gets its own spot
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

This is so much better than I could have ever imagined it could be. Hearing these songs like I have never heard them before, and that goes far beyond just the new vocals, has given me a new respect for AHC. Down On Me and Shot Rang Out are probably my favorite tracks on the album, as of three listens that is. I will be playing this every day for the next couple weeks for sure.

Has anyone else found it to be far beyond their expectations?

This record rocks. It is a shame AHC didn't get to see it through. If they had I guess we most likely wouldn't be enjoying this new cut of it today but the record definitely deserved a shot back in the time in which it was created.
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Flea wrote:For the obsessive/compulsive fans out there: are you going to file this immediately before Gangstabilly in your collection, or will Adam's House Cat have it's own spot? I cannot decide.
Right now I filed it under A. But I'm considering moving it to before Gangstabilly.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

scotto

Post by scotto »

brett27295 wrote:
Right now I filed it under A. But I'm considering moving it to before Gangstabilly.
Guess my "preorder" won't get here until next week, but I'll probably file mine on the turntable for several days in a row. Then, who knows?

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Anyone have any idea who will be the AHC bassist for this week's shows? I thought maybe Patton would pull double-duty, but when I asked him on Twitter, he said it wasn't him. I'm guessing that probably means Barbe.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

rlipps wrote:Anyone have any idea who will be the AHC bassist for this week's shows? I thought maybe Patton would pull double-duty, but when I asked him on Twitter, he said it wasn't him. I'm guessing that probably means Barbe.
It's Barbe.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Well, finally got mine yesterday and played it about four times in a row. Color me wowed.
I got it because of course I did, but wasn't expecting it to be this good. (Had heard a couple of cuts, but never the full AHC experience that's been circulating.) Love the '80s/'90s rock 'n' roll vibe and I don't even notice the vocals being redone. So nice to have this in a proper and well done package.
(Now if we can get a dee luxe remaster of SRO all will be well.)

NICO9000

Post by NICO9000 »

Just listened to it twice yesterday. A nice document of what was to come.

I have the Musician Magazine Best Unsigned Bands CD from 88 where AHC were one of the winners. The song on that disc, "Smiling at Girls," is OK, but Patterson's vocals are pretty weak. He made the right choice to redo them for the new release.

Frog Man

Post by Frog Man »

Love it. Better than the last four DBT albums. Can’t wait to hear it live tomorrow

Fatah Ruark

Post by Fatah Ruark »

So any word on why the tracklisting is different that whatever came out in the internets a few years back?

EDIT with more details:
I don't remember where I got the "Unknown Internet release." Probably some torrent site. The source of the songs in undetermined. The 2011 tracklist is from what Patterson shared on Soundcloud in 2011. I never "saved" a copy of that (anyone have a copy of Elvis P Stole My Car?).

New release tracklist:

1 Lookout Mountain
2 Town Burned Down
3 Runaway Train
4 Down On Me
5 6 O'Clock Train
6 Buttholeville
7 Child Abuse
8 Love Really Sucks
9 Kiss My Baby
10 Shot Rang Out
11 Long Time Ago
12 Cemeteries

Unknown Internets release tracklist (with possible incorrect/early titles):

1 Town Burned Down
2 Runaway Train
3 Child Abuse
4 Kiss My Baby
5 Long Time Ago
6 Lookout Mountain
7 Picture of Elvis https://youtu.be/qYF9GD08st8
8 Ask Yourself Why (aka Cemeteries)
9 Since You Came (aka Love Really Sucks)
10 Smiling (aka Smiling At Girls) https://youtu.be/2TisULIRQ-Q
11 Santa's Out of Rehab https://youtu.be/ufBK0yDNg_o
12 Nine Bullets https://youtu.be/Z5t6zOXix2k

BOLD = Unique to this release.

EDIT: Also found in this thread (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3058&hilit=Adam%27s ... t&start=30) another tracklisting that is the same as what was just released but also includes 1 extra track (in bold):

2011 21st Anniversary Soundcloud tracklist:

01 Lookout Mountain
02 Town Burned Down
03 Runaway Train
04 Elvis P Stole My Car
05 Down On Me
06 6 O'Clock Train
07 Buttholeville
08 Picture Of Elvis Cured My Cancer
09 Child Abuse
10 Kiss My Baby
11 Love Really Sucks
12 Long Time Ago
13 Cemeteries
Last edited by Fatah Ruark on Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I had never heard any of this stuff prior- really love the early version of Lookout Mountain, that was a pleasant surprise for me
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I've been listening to these songs which has lead to me singing them around the house. A while ago my six year old daughter was singing Smiling At Girls. I got a good laugh out of that.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Well I've been stressing to my kids that they cannot go to school singing "Child Abuse" no matter how indelibly catchy it is.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

:lol: :lol:
Smitty wrote:Well I've been stressing to my kids that they cannot go to school singing "Child Abuse" no matter how indelibly catchy it is.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Smitty wrote:Well I've been stressing to my kids that they cannot go to school singing "Child Abuse" no matter how indelibly catchy it is.
I picked up my 16 year old daughter from cross country practice yesterday and was playing this album. She said "that's a great song, I really like it. What's it called?" It was Child Abuse. And you're damn right, it is catchy as hell lol.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Yaz Rock

Post by Yaz Rock »

I finally picked up Town Burned Down at the Cooley show Thursday night (I've been listening to one of the live shows to get my fill til now). And you're all right, this is one hell of a catchy record. Likewise I had to stop myself from singing to myself at the supermarket "Talkin' 'bout chiiilllld abuusse", or, "bitch, bitch, bitch, cry, cry, cry. " LOL. Seriously though, these songs hold up with Patterson's best. I thought it would just be Runaway Train and ten other songs, but damn, Long Time Ago, Shot Rang Out, Cemeteries, are all great songs.

The liner notes are great too, even if the story is of the band being on the cusp of something great and having it crash, and having an in-person brush with a band (Nirvana) that did explode right then, and having their hit song idea go big with another band (Soul Asylum). Sometimes the universe works in our favor, sometimes it doesn't. Although it didn't work out at the time as AHC for Hood & Cooley, I hope they feel full satisfaction now with DBT and the ultimate release of Town Burned Down.