Recording in Memphis

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

brett27295

Re: Recording in Memphis

Post by brett27295 »

Zip City wrote:Fuck vinyl
I can only fuck 45s. It's the only one with a hole I can fit into it. And honestly, fucking vinyl isn't really that enjoyable. On the positive side, I can play it after the lovemaking is done.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

brett27295 wrote:
I can only fuck 45s. It's the only one with a hole I can fit into it. And honestly, fucking vinyl isn't really that enjoyable. On the positive side, I can play it after the lovemaking is done.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Zip must've deleted his original comment since I don't see it here but I don't get his aversion to vinyl. It's how most of us round these parts listen to music, at least I think it is. It's OK if it's not for you but denigrating it doesn't make sense to me.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
brett27295 wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Zip must've deleted his original comment since I don't see it here but I don't get his aversion to vinyl. It's how most of us round these parts listen to music, at least I think it is. It's OK if it's not for you but denigrating it doesn't make sense to me.
If it was deleted, it wasn't by me.

My comment was mostly in jest, but the idea of delaying an album release based on the 5% that buy vinyl vs. the 95% who buy digital/CD is a ludicrous business model
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote: Zip must've deleted his original comment since I don't see it here but I don't get his aversion to vinyl. It's how most of us round these parts listen to music, at least I think it is. It's OK if it's not for you but denigrating it doesn't make sense to me.
As you probably know Dean about 90% of my listening is done in my music room spinning vinyl. It's certainly not for everyone but for me it's very, very important. That's why I don't really mind waiting on the release.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
If it was deleted, it wasn't by me.

My comment was mostly in jest, but the idea of delaying an album release based on the 5% that buy vinyl vs. the 95% who buy digital/CD is a ludicrous business model
Maybe I just didn't see the original post. Either way I think you're severely underestimating the DBT community and vinyl. I wouldn't guess a percentage but I'd bet greater than 5%.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

From Patterson:
Y’all,
First off, I’m thrilled to see that folks seem to be excited about our new album.
As we prepare to enter our 23rd year as DBT and will cross the threshold of 34(!!!) years of partnership between Cooley and myself, believe me, I feel like its a milestone onto itself for people to be excited about anything from a group with this many miles. The benefit, I guess of being a late bloomer.

All that said, I’m as excited about the upcoming album as anything I’ve ever been a part of, and more tellingly, Cooley, who is far less excitable than me about such things shares this feeling, as does the rest of my merry band.

While we haven’t set an exact official release date yet, It’s looking like early fall, hopefully the beginning of September, or thereabouts. We aren’t the ones to set the actual date, as that is in the end up the the record company, ATO, but they have always bent over backwards to do it as close to our wishes as possible. (Greatly appreciated).

Why, you ask, would an album, recorded in September of 2018 not come out until Sept of 2019?
Great question.
Complicated answer, but in short, we were booked throughout the rest of fall, leaving limited time to complete the album, then it was holidays, solo touring (already planned months in advance), upcoming winter tour and cruise and HeAthen’s Homecoming, etc. There’s also Dimmer Twins touring and a prior commitment on my end to Produce an artist that I have been wanting to work with for nearly two decades. It adds up. We will have toured behind American Band for nearly 3 years by this point, plus we all have family considerations and needs.

Plus we still have to Mix it, Master it, and created the album package. (All of which are hands on deck jobs for the band).

The original plan was to release it in late spring of this new year, but having spent most of last summer on tour, we made a rare but important decision to take most of this summer off before starting the whole process of putting out and touring behind an album that we are so excited about.

As to the original question, involving the vinyl release, and timing issues associated with such, things have changed somewhat since the last release. Many new pressing plants have been built and turnaround times are way more reasonable now than they were last time. That said, the vinyl release is of the utmost importance to us in ways that transcend mere financial / business considerations. We are one of the best selling vinyl selling artists in the world (I’d say for good reasons). I don’t know the exact percentage of our sales in vinyl but I know it’s far above the industry norm. We put monumental effort into making our packaging and pressings of the utmost top quality and tend to sell to a more distinguished and audiophile oriented fanbase than most other bands. A point of pride for us, especially since our music is still rooted in Punk Rock and we don’t exactly sound like Steely Dan or Peter Gabriel (both of whom I greatly admire, but seldom emulate). The new album promises to be a sonic leap for us and I truly hope that everyone at least gets to hear it presented the way we most intend, on vinyl, through killer loud system, even if you follow it up with streaming through a tin cup (which hopefully will still sound OK). (Perhaps we should book vinyl listening parties at Dr. John's and Jeff Schneider’s listening rooms :-)

Also, it should be mentioned that said streaming isn’t really much of a source of revenue for bands like us. We don’t exactly pull Drake numbers in that department, but we do actually get paid (eventually) for vinyl sales and of course all of it helps to enable the continuation of the almighty Rock Show. We certainly make more money from our vinyl sales than every there format combined so it is actually good business to accommodate that end to the best of our abilities.

All of this was mainly just an excuse to each out to you. I’m still taken aback by the beautiful coffee table book that Y’all put together with so much love and hard labor and I’m more excited than ever for the upcoming shows with Lucinda Williams, the Outlaw Country Cruise and of course HeAthen’s Homecoming. Hope everyone has had a wonderful holidays and looking forward to making 2019 a Much Better Today than the ones we had yesterday.

Much love, keep resisting and more than ever, See you at The Rock Show!

Sincerely,
Patterson Hood
DBT's