Cooley's New Haircut- The Sequel

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Cooley's New Haircut- The Sequel

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

something along the lines of “we’re going into the studio this week to begin work on a new album”

As always, I could be wrong, and if so hope someone else who was there will set this straight
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Jonicont
Site Admin

Re: At Sausalito yesterday Patterson said....

Post by Jonicont »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:something along the lines of “we’re going into the studio this week to begin work on a new album”

As always, I could be wrong, and if so hope someone else who was there will set this straight
Sounds right to me
Always go to the show

whatwouldcooleydo?

Also, looks like Cooley got a haircut recently. The new do reminds me a bit of Alex Lifeson’s hair circa Signals (emphasis on “a bit”)

Will post a pic when I get access to laptop later

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Did anyone keep a setlist?
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

whatwouldcooleydo?

Mundane Mayhem wrote:Did anyone keep a setlist?
Worldwide says it is on FB. I am not on FB. I stopped writing sets down years ago, got to where so many were doing it that I saw no need to keep doing it.

It was a great set but there were no rarities or anything unusual, at least as I remember it. I assume Slowride Argument (which was played) is at this point not considered to be rare or unusual

drommel56

Post by drommel56 »

I heard the studio comment too
I would like to apologize to anybody that I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Mundane Mayhem wrote:Did anyone keep a setlist?
Worldwide says it is on FB. I am not on FB. I stopped writing sets down years ago, got to where so many were doing it that I saw no need to keep doing it.

It was a great set but there were no rarities or anything unusual, at least as I remember it. I assume Slowride Argument (which was played) is at this point not considered to be rare or unusual
I’m not on Facebook either, so I guess I’ll use my imagination.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Lordscooges

Post by Lordscooges »

Setlist:
Filthy
2 dtrs
Ghost
Guns
Ramon
Flags
Sounds better in the song
Annette
Kinky
Kkk took my baby
Ronnie
Shit shots
Comp I keep
Marry
What it means
Slow down take it easy
Let there be rock
Surrender
Lookout

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Lordscooges wrote:Setlist:
Filthy
2 dtrs
Ghost
Guns
Ramon
Flags
Sounds better in the song
Annette
Kinky
Kkk took my baby
Ronnie
Shit shots
Comp I keep
Marry
What it means
Slow down take it easy
Let there be rock
Surrender
Lookout
Thanks! 19 ain't bad for a festival set like that.

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Also, looks like Cooley got a haircut recently. The new do reminds me a bit of Alex Lifeson’s hair circa Signals (emphasis on “a bit”)

Will post a pic when I get access to laptop later
Well this is potentially good news.

I don’t have any knowledge of the chronology of Alex Lifeson’s haircuts, which I suppose makes me a bad Canadian. But I don’t hate Rush or anything. They deport you here, to a penal colony in the Upper Northwest Territories, of you hate Rush, so luckily for me, I’m just generally ambivalent to them and happily admit that they are outstanding at what they do. It’s just that what they do is not really my thing. You don’t even want to know what they do to Shania Twain haters here. But honestly, who could hate Shania? She’s the loveliest. It’s a weird country, but all countries are strange.

Anyway, digression… back to Cooley’s hair.

If this new haircut is of the 1980s skater variety and is basically very short, but with long, angular bangs, hallelujah! I’ve been willing him from afar to cut his hair this way for what feels like a decade.

If he’s sporting some mullet-y thing, well that’s pretty much the haircut apocalypse, which is no good news for anyone (especially Cooley).
His facial expression is terrifying. He's basically the equine Chucky.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

PonyGirl wrote: Anyway, digression… back to Cooley’s hair.

If this new haircut is of the 1980s skater variety and is basically very short, but with long, angular bangs, hallelujah! I’ve been willing him from afar to cut his hair this way for what feels like a decade.
Something like that, yes.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Yes, folks, we now have a thread devoted to Cooley's haircut. :lol: :lol: :lol: Hey, I guess if we're gonna claim to be a serious fan site we have to cover all the bases.

Always nice to see you ponygirl even to talk about haircuts. In case you're interested (and why wouldn't you be?), I'm overdue for a cut by about a week and the mop is (a) still mostly here and (b) starting to get unruly.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I saw some pics from the gig. I could care less about the setlist or performance but I noticed that Matt's hair seems a little longer and he seems to be combing it a bit differently. Can anyone confirm?
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Some of you old timers might remember this drawing that my son made for me probably around 2009 when he was 9 or 10 years old. All this talk about Cooley's new haircut has been reminding me of it.

(from left to right Hood, Morgan, Cooley, Neff, Tucker (apologies to Gonzalez).
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

beantownbubba wrote:Yes, folks, we now have a thread devoted to Cooley's haircut. :lol: :lol: :lol: Hey, I guess if we're gonna claim to be a serious fan site we have to cover all the bases.

Always nice to see you ponygirl even to talk about haircuts. In case you're interested (and why wouldn't you be?), I'm overdue for a cut by about a week and the mop is (a) still mostly here and (b) starting to get unruly.
Oh Bubba! I always knew you were a rebel!

You know, the whole rock n roll musician thing is a job that involves a certain aesthetic. Especially in the digital age. Images everywhere. I am a person who admires style and I would argue that this subject isn't any less relevant than the exact date and time they first got a tour bus, how members of the band pronounce Latin American proper names, Patterson's hats, that they like doughnuts, how they take their coffee, so much granular data analysis regarding songs and shows and personnel. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but my feeling is that this is a site dedicated to the minutiae of DBT.

From a sociological perspective, DBT is a really interesting band in terms of how eclectic their fan base is. In this way, I find them quite unique. Some people came to them by following the Replacements -> Wilco -> DBT progression. I am one of these and this seems really obvious to me. But there are others who found their way to DBT through classic rock or jam bands (diametrically opposed to my musical and style aesthetics) or classic country and alt country (also me, also obvious) or Norwegian Death Metal.

All this to say that people do DBT in many different ways. I've always been a bit of a bad girl. I come from the sex, drugs and rock n' roll school of music. I lose myself in the show. Why anyone would want to be filming or making notes on phones or paper at a rock show is outside my capacity of comprehension (unless they're actually music journalists). Yet so many people seem to love doing it and as long as their phones are not in my face while they're recording, I'm happy to let them be happy doing what makes them happy. You can't wait to get home after the show to create a new macro on your DBT spreadsheet? Super. Best of luck. I'm taking a different path (and probably not a righteous one).

Anyway, most of the artists of my youth like Bowie, The Clash, Elvis Costello, The Mats (okay maybe not Bob), REM, Sonic Youth (the list goes on and on) had style and a certain aesthetic and the bands that I've been friends with over the years have all seemed to care about how they look on stage. Ultimately style and music are connected. Maybe you don't remember the concert review that said something like, "John Neff is a genius at pedal steal, but he dresses like an accountant."

Apparently I'm very unfamiliar with the concept of economy of words. And my hair's not looking great these days either, FWIW.

Anyhoo, didn't Patterson say something somewhere?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Cooley's New Haircut- The Sequel

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

If you're wondering, it was me. I did it. I ain't sorry.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

whatwouldcooleydo?

If someone is a genius at pedal steel, I don’t give a fuck how he/she is attired ;)

Seeing Tommy Stinson at a house concert tonight, will report back on his sartorial state with photos

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:If someone is a genius at pedal steel, I don’t give a fuck how he/she is attired ;)
John is always pretty easy on the ears and eyes, but I think that was the last time I ever saw him on stage wearing khakis and an oxford cloth button down. My friend had a huge crush on him and sent me the review the next day. It was after a Toronto show.
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Seeing Tommy Stinson at a house concert tonight, will report back on his sartorial state with photos
I don't get jealous very often, though an exception would be what I am feeling right now, towards you. :mrgreen:

I am sure he will look fantastic if a little rough. Have fun!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

PonyGirl wrote: I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but my feeling is that this is a site dedicated to the minutiae of DBT.
Guess you missed the manscaping thread
Always go to the show

Clams

Post by Clams »

Jonicont wrote:
PonyGirl wrote: I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but my feeling is that this is a site dedicated to the minutiae of DBT.
What's manscaping?

whatwouldcooleydo?

PonyGirl wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:If someone is a genius at pedal steel, I don’t give a fuck how he/she is attired ;)
John is always pretty easy on the ears and eyes, but I think that was the last time I ever saw him on stage wearing khakis and an oxford cloth button down. My friend had a huge crush on him and sent me the review the next day. It was after a Toronto show.
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Seeing Tommy Stinson at a house concert tonight, will report back on his sartorial state with photos
I don't get jealous very often, though an exception would be what I am feeling right now, towards you. :mrgreen:

For my eye, looking fantastic and looking a little rough go hand in hand

Flea

Post by Flea »

Clams wrote:
Jonicont wrote:
What's manscaping?
Check your PMs.
Now it's dark.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Just browsing around the recent posts, I see it's been a good day for 3DD:

Cooley's haircut
hookers & blow
manscaping

This is the stuff that keeps me coming back. 3DD needs a magazine.
Let the outside air in

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

PonyGirl wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Yes, folks, we now have a thread devoted to Cooley's haircut. :lol: :lol: :lol: Hey, I guess if we're gonna claim to be a serious fan site we have to cover all the bases.

Oh Bubba! I always knew you were a rebel!

You know, the whole rock n roll musician thing is a job that involves a certain aesthetic. Especially in the digital age. Images everywhere. I am a person who admires style and I would argue that this subject isn't any less relevant than the exact date and time they first got a tour bus, how members of the band pronounce Latin American proper names, Patterson's hats, that they like doughnuts, how they take their coffee, so much granular data analysis regarding songs and shows and personnel. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but my feeling is that this is a site dedicated to the minutiae of DBT.

From a sociological perspective, DBT is a really interesting band in terms of how eclectic their fan base is. In this way, I find them quite unique. Some people came to them by following the Replacements -> Wilco -> DBT progression. I am one of these and this seems really obvious to me. But there are others who found their way to DBT through classic rock or jam bands (diametrically opposed to my musical and style aesthetics) or classic country and alt country (also me, also obvious) or Norwegian Death Metal.

All this to say that people do DBT in many different ways. I've always been a bit of a bad girl. I come from the sex, drugs and rock n' roll school of music. I lose myself in the show. Why anyone would want to be filming or making notes on phones or paper at a rock show is outside my capacity of comprehension (unless they're actually music journalists). Yet so many people seem to love doing it and as long as their phones are not in my face while they're recording, I'm happy to let them be happy doing what makes them happy. You can't wait to get home after the show to create a new macro on your DBT spreadsheet? Super. Best of luck. I'm taking a different path (and probably not a righteous one).

Anyway, most of the artists of my youth like Bowie, The Clash, Elvis Costello, The Mats (okay maybe not Bob), REM, Sonic Youth (the list goes on and on) had style and a certain aesthetic and the bands that I've been friends with over the years have all seemed to care about how they look on stage. Ultimately style and music are connected. Maybe you don't remember the concert review that said something like, "John Neff is a genius at pedal steal, but he dresses like an accountant."

Apparently I'm very unfamiliar with the concept of economy of words. And my hair's not looking great these days either, FWIW.

Anyhoo, didn't Patterson say something somewhere?
A much more serious reply than my essentially offhand comment deserved and true in all respects. I did lose a bet w/ myself however since I thought you would come back w/ a reference to the ginger v. mary ann thread. OTOH you made the same point w/ more specific DBT references which is much better. Sex, drugs & rock n roll (and bad girls) for the win!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

DB Cooper would be proud of the number y’all did on this thread :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

edited to resize photos

Finally.....

Last edited by whatwouldcooleydo? on Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whatwouldcooleydo?

PonyGirl wrote:

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Don't know about y'all but I've never had a member of The Replacements in my foyer before.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Can we go back to discussing Cooley's new haircut, please?
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Clams

Post by Clams »

RolanK wrote:Can we go back to discussing Cooley's new haircut, please?
Yeah, the Stinson stuff is fine but I'm seeing a little too much Floyd.