What does DBT mean to you?

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

ledward2

Post by ledward2 »

Feel free to PM or e-mail me if you prefer (ledward2@harding.edu). Perhaps you can't say all you want and/or need to say here. Be as wordy as you like. It won't hurt my feelings.

Full disclosure: I am in the process of writing my doctoral dissertation on, to oversimplify, the "politics" of DBT vis-a-vis contemporary evangelicalism ("politics" will be used in a VERY broad sense). So, to be clear, there is a good chance I will use your comments in my dissertation. If I use your response, once the dissertation is published by a major publishing house, and it is on the NYT bestseller list, and I am so rich I can fly to Homecoming every year instead of making the 9 hour drive, I will allow you to buy a copy (or two), and I will sign it for you...for a fee. OK, that last sentence was a joke. Seriously, I am writing my dissertation on DBT, however, and your thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. IGTBA!
"Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time."

gepman

Re: What does DBT mean to you?

Post by gepman »

Drive-By Truckers...

(sorry, couldn't help myself...) :D

dsmith73

Post by dsmith73 »

For me, DBT expresses the thoughts I have that I don't have the eloquence or courage to say myself. As a southern liberal, I feel like I am constantly fighting an uphill battle. No one around me agrees with me or thinks the same way I do. It seems as though the conservative, christian, right wing, republican, straight, white, Americans are in lock step and I have to watch what I say or do in public because these are my neighbors, co-workers, bosses, etc. The hypocrisy of the the southern way, and christian conservatism in general, is very frustrating for me and DBT describes it well in song after song. DBT provides an outlet for me to escape the local norms and knowing that there are others that feel the same way here is comforting.
Maybe everyday is Saturday morning...

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

dsmith73 wrote:For me, DBT expresses the thoughts I have that I don't have the eloquence or courage to say myself. As a southern liberal, I feel like I am constantly fighting an uphill battle. No one around me agrees with me or thinks the same way I do. It seems as though the conservative, christian, right wing, republican, straight, white, Americans are in lock step and I have to watch what I say or do in public because these are my neighbors, co-workers, bosses, etc. The hypocrisy of the the southern way, and christian conservatism in general, is very frustrating for me and DBT describes it well in song after song. DBT provides an outlet for me to escape the local norms and knowing that there are others that feel the same way here is comforting.
This is so much of what HeAthens are all about. I present to you this from our fearless leader

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

gepman

Post by gepman »

Straight forward, honest song writing.
Willing to tackle any and all topics.
I have always gravitated to bands that have more than one main singer / writer.
Lack of pretentiousness. No B.S.
Best bang for the buck as a live band.

dsmith73

Post by dsmith73 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
This is so much of what HeAthens are all about. I present to you this from our fearless leader

It's this exactly. To me, there is a right and there is a wrong. I am appalled at those who steadfastly support the clearly wrong. I recognize all the gray areas in life and wish that there could be less allegiance to party on both sides of the aisle and more allowance of common sense. Like Cooley says in one of my favorite lines, "What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard."
Maybe everyday is Saturday morning...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Proof that rock n' roll can occasionally live up to its promise and deliver life affirming, life changing, life saving salvation through music and community.

PS to dsmith: note my sig line :)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

I don’t know what it means
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing