Cannery Ballroom, Nashville, TN 11/9-10

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Bill in CT

Re: Cannery Ballroom, Nashville, TN 11/9-10

Post by Bill in CT »

WarHenRecords wrote:Have felt that way a lot with them.
Band plays very minimal songs from BTCD, TBTD & Go Go Boots. Would be nice to get more of those songs back into rotation.
Fourth Night of My Drinking and Drag the Lake Charlie just came back to the rotation.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

At 1 pm today I was really kicking myself for not realizing that the Patriots played in Nashville today = can't say for sure it would have tipped the balance to making the trip but it wouldn't have hurt. By 3 pm today I was really glad I saved my money even knowing that I would have loved the DBT shows and seeing Nashville for the first time. Ending the wkend w/ today's football disaster would have been no fun at all. Uncle Rickey, Worldwide Bill, did you go to the game?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

From Patterson:
Y’all,
Apologies to anyone that felt that the night was a little off last night.
I certainly felt it so.
Woke up yesterday with nearly full laryngitis, then had radio show commitment and some other stuff to deal with.
I rallied and was able to do the show, but it was definitely compromised on my end by having to think through what I could and could not sing and just the general feeling of knowing it wasn’t all it should be.
I was grateful to be able to sing at all, but my only alternative would have been to cancel a sold out show with folks traveling sometimes long distances to be there or else to push on through and hopeful the best. The down side of this job I love so.
In all, we played well over our contracted time (DBT shows are generally contracted at 90 minutes) and did our best to keep the energy up.
We don’t use a set list so shows tend to pull from what is on our mind and in these days, Babies are still in cages and guns are still being shot far too often.
I definitely look forward to having different concerns.

In all, thanks to everyone who supports our band.
We never phone it in, even when it might be beneficial to our health to do so.
I’m feeling a little better today and have 2 days off before Little Rock so I expect to be in full voice again by Tuesday to complete the tour.
Best to one and all and, as always:
See You at The Rock and Roll Show!
Sincerely,
Patterson
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Bill in CT wrote:
Band plays very minimal songs from BTCD, TBTD & Go Go Boots. Would be nice to get more of those songs back into rotation.
Fourth Night of My Drinking and Drag the Lake Charlie just came back to the rotation.
two songs from one of the three album i listed...

really i just wish assholes was in rotation.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

WarHenRecords wrote:
Bill in CT wrote:
two songs from one of the three album i listed...

really i just wish assholes was in rotation.
They also played 3 songs from BTCD on Saturday as part of a 23-song setlist. That seems like solid representation to me.

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

Bill in CT wrote:
Zip Up to Michigan wrote:Although I walked away with a huge smile on my face, I can’t deny tonight fell a bit short of my expectations. It was pretty clear that after 5 straight nights , the boys simply ran out of steam. 10 minutes short of two hours tonight, no extended jams (the quickest hell no ive seen). Poor repeat song selections. I mean, not only were half of the songs repeated from last night, several were played three nights in a row. You can’t play dead drunk, guitar man, angels, sounds better, heathens.... but babies in Cages and what it means gets three nights in a row? Ouch. Just seemed like they went through the motions tonight. Again, I love every minute I have with this band and tonight was no exception but when I compare / contrast The Rock Shows I’ve seen, tonight was by far my least favorite.
There were 27 songs played on Friday. Nine of them were played again last night. That’s not half.
All 5 of the songs you wish they had played last night were played in Birmingham. They can’t play everyone’s favorite songs at every show.
Patterson’s voice was not as good as usual but the band performed with good energy throughout the show.
Babies In Cages is a new song that is very relevant right now. What It Means is a key song from AB that sadly remains relevant. It’s not surprising that the band would play those songs.
By my count, 23 songs were played on Saturday (and that includes "Days of Graduation" which I think most would consider a prelude). 10 songs were repeated from Friday night. 10/23 is pretty close to half. It's 43.5%. With the catalog that DBT has, I just don't like that stat at all. Especially because I've seen two night stands from them in the past where you only get two or three repeated. But hey, maybe I've been spoiled by the likes of Springsteen, My Morning Jacket, Phish, and DMB who can play three night runs (and in Phish's case several more) and not repeat a single song.

Yes, I know they can't play everyone's favorite at every show but your point about Birmingham doesn't make sense. I don't think it's fair to assume most fans are going to do five shows in a row, in multiple cities. I also just threw out some random tunes I like. I could have listed several others, including many that weren't played in Birmingham.

I do understand Babies in Cages and What it Means are sadly relevant (even though I think they are not the greatest tunes lyrically and in the latter's case, musically) but does that still mean you need to play them three nights in a row? Maybe my point is better served by looking at Mr. Cooley's set list choices from the weekend where songs like A Ghost to Most, 3 Dimes Down, Women Without Whiskey and Marry Me are all 10+ years old and not exactly "very relevant" in the moment, at least in the way of Babies in Cages and What It Means. Would it be that difficult to throw in an equally as fun classic in any of those places and mix it up a bit for the people who have traveled really far (in my case 9 hours :P ) to catch a two night stand?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:your point about Birmingham doesn't make sense. I don't think it's fair to assume most fans are going to do five shows in a row, in multiple cities.
I have no idea what the answer is but am curious as to your thoughts: How much of the audience was there for both nights in Nashville and how many attended just one or the other?

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:
Bill in CT wrote:
Zip Up to Michigan wrote:Although I walked away with a huge smile on my face, I can’t deny tonight fell a bit short of my expectations. It was pretty clear that after 5 straight nights , the boys simply ran out of steam. 10 minutes short of two hours tonight, no extended jams (the quickest hell no ive seen). Poor repeat song selections. I mean, not only were half of the songs repeated from last night, several were played three nights in a row. You can’t play dead drunk, guitar man, angels, sounds better, heathens.... but babies in Cages and what it means gets three nights in a row? Ouch. Just seemed like they went through the motions tonight. Again, I love every minute I have with this band and tonight was no exception but when I compare / contrast The Rock Shows I’ve seen, tonight was by far my least favorite.
There were 27 songs played on Friday. Nine of them were played again last night. That’s not half.
All 5 of the songs you wish they had played last night were played in Birmingham. They can’t play everyone’s favorite songs at every show.
Patterson’s voice was not as good as usual but the band performed with good energy throughout the show.
Babies In Cages is a new song that is very relevant right now. What It Means is a key song from AB that sadly remains relevant. It’s not surprising that the band would play those songs.
By my count, 23 songs were played on Saturday (and that includes "Days of Graduation" which I think most would consider a prelude). 10 songs were repeated from Friday night. 10/23 is pretty close to half. It's 43.5%. With the catalog that DBT has, I just don't like that stat at all. Especially because I've seen two night stands from them in the past where you only get two or three repeated. But hey, maybe I've been spoiled by the likes of Springsteen, My Morning Jacket, Phish, and DMB who can play three night runs (and in Phish's case several more) and not repeat a single song.

Yes, I know they can't play everyone's favorite at every show but your point about Birmingham doesn't make sense. I don't think it's fair to assume most fans are going to do five shows in a row, in multiple cities. I also just threw out some random tunes I like. I could have listed several others, including many that weren't played in Birmingham.

I do understand Babies in Cages and What it Means are sadly relevant (even though I think they are not the greatest tunes lyrically and in the latter's case, musically) but does that still mean you need to play them three nights in a row? Maybe my point is better served by looking at Mr. Cooley's set list choices from the weekend where songs like A Ghost to Most, 3 Dimes Down, Women Without Whiskey and Marry Me are all 10+ years old and not exactly "very relevant" in the moment, at least in the way of Babies in Cages and What It Means. Would it be that difficult to throw in an equally as fun classic in any of those places and mix it up a bit for the people who have traveled really far (in my case 9 hours :P ) to catch a two night stand?
You're right, 10 songs were repeated in Nashville. It's still just over a 3rd of the Friday setlist so I don't think it's that big a deal.
Dave Matthews Band sucks ass IMO so I don't care what they do at their shows. I would like to see Phish sometime but they are a jam band which is a whole different thing. MMJ and Springsteen do mix up a lot of their setlists but MMJ only does no repeats if they are doing a 3-night stand. They will have repeats in a 2-night stand.
You cited Birmingham (complaining they did What It Means and Babies In Cages 3 nights running) but said it's not fair for me to say that they did those 5 songs in Birmingham. You can't have it both ways.
I traveled a long way too (from Connecticut) and was happy with the shows. To each their own.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

One of the factors that keeps DBT fans coming back for more over the last 20 or so years is the relevancy of the narrative. Borne out, I think, by American Band being their best selling record to date.
Zip Up to Michigan wrote: I don't think it's fair to assume most fans are going to do five shows in a row
I agree with this. In fact, I think it's fair to assume that most folks just do one show.
Babies in Cages and What it Means are sadly relevant but does that still mean you need to play them three nights in a row?
The answer to this is fairly obvious
Always go to the show

Zip Up to Michigan

Bill in CT wrote: You're right, 10 songs were repeated in Nashville. It's still just over a 3rd of the Friday setlist so I don't think it's that big a deal.
Dave Matthews Band sucks ass IMO so I don't care what they do at their shows. I would like to see Phish sometime but they are a jam band which is a whole different thing. MMJ and Springsteen do mix up a lot of their setlists but MMJ only does no repeats if they are doing a 3-night stand. They will have repeats in a 2-night stand.
You cited Birmingham (complaining they did What It Means and Babies In Cages 3 nights running) but said it's not fair for me to say that they did those 5 songs in Birmingham. You can't have it both ways.
I traveled a long way too (from Connecticut) and was happy with the shows. To each their own.
To each his own, indeed... We can go back and for on statistics and semantics all day. To me, I simply felt the performance was off on Saturday (the band leader admits as much) and the song selection was uninspired (I realize this is subjective). Still had a great time (!!) and will go to The Rock Show again.

beantownbubba wrote:
I have no idea what the answer is but am curious as to your thoughts: How much of the audience was there for both nights in Nashville and how many attended just one or the other?
I'm not sure what the number is either, but I would certainly think it would have to be a significant to recognize. What I can say, is most everyone I spoke to around me were doing both nights. I also recognized the same folks were on the rail both nights. We also know that every once in a while, the band will offer multi night packages, so they clearly understand this phenomenon.
Jonicont wrote:One of the factors that keeps DBT fans coming back for more over the last 20 or so years is the relevancy of the narrative. Borne out, I think, by American Band being their best selling record to date.
I think you're absolutely correct. It's certainly a reason I'm interested. I guess I just feel like they could do a better job of mixing things up/not forcing certain songs on a nightly basis, while still maintaining a relevant narrative.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:To each his own, indeed... We can go back and for on statistics and semantics all day. To me, I simply felt the performance was off on Saturday (the band leader admits as much) and the song selection was uninspired (I realize this is subjective). Still had a great time (!!) and will go to The Rock Show again.

Your follow up posts on this are thoughtful and I don't ever think the band or any of the fanbase can get angry about constructive criticism. One thing I will say though is that a thank you to Patterson for saying what he said, essentially in response to your post, is probably in order. I think we can agree that there are very few bandleaders who would care quite that much to explain themselves.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

For the record, Patterson Hood is a motherfucking beast. I've seen him take to the stage with maladies far more debilitating than laryngitis (shit that would keep most of us in bed) and still put on an ass kicking Rock Show. He doesn't need to apologize for anything. But he'll continue to do so 'cause that's how he rolls.
Always go to the show

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:Still had a great time (!!) and will go to The Rock Show again...

...I guess I just feel like they could do a better job of mixing things up/not forcing certain songs on a nightly basis, while still maintaining a relevant narrative.
There's two halves to this: Hood and Cooley.

The Cooley half is easy to understand. He appears to have a bad memory for lyrics. If I had trouble remembering all the words to "Daddy's Cup", I wouldn't sing it at a rock show*, either, no matter how many people wanted to hear it or how great a song it is. He also has fewer songs for the band, so his choices are more limited.

The Hood part is easy to understand in this situation: He had a blown voice and needed to pick songs he could sing. He's pretty good about moving songs in and out of rotation over time, and has more material than Cooley, so his part of the set is usually more varied. But you'll still get some repeats in a show built to flow. I myself am bummed that I'll probably never see a live band performance of one of the lesser-known songs they've released which is a huge personal favorite--to say nothing of "Greenville to Baton Rouge" or "The President's Penis is Missing".

That's part of the price for improvisatory performance. There's only one live recording of the Coltrane Quartet doing "A Love Supreme". And how often did people get "Iko-Iko->Dark Star->Touch of Grey" or whatever weirdass combination Deadheads lap up?** And then there's The Replacements.

So as a Great Man once sang, "I took what I could get, yes, I took what I could get."

*I have hopes of someday hearing it at a Cooley solo show. He uses a music stand sometimes during those.
**To paraphrase Barbara DeDrew, "That's a grilled cheese sandwich and I think you know that."
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

Wasn't there. Have only seen about 60 rock shows and a 10 solos, so this observation is distant and maybe does not have as deep of a foundation as some. That said when one looks at the setlist, there are songs played off of 9 albums. Three rarities in recent years were played, Do it Yourself, One of these Days and Days of Graduation. Bubba and Henry Drinks don't get regular play much anymore. Seems pretty deep and diverse. Other than Springsteen and some of the bands mentioned, 90% of touring bands play pretty much the same songs every night, especially the commercially successful acts. I saw Petty twice on the last tour. Both were great but basically the same show. There is opposite pressure on bands from many fans that want to hear the "hits"/"more well known" songs. There are fans that would probably have been disappointed had WWW, 3DD, Marry Me, R & N, etc. not been played. Some fans were probably disappointed Zip City, LTBR, SUAGOTP, etc. weren't played. I don't think DBT would have the travelling fan base they do if not for the variety of their setlists.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Friday night was definitely the better of the two, but I’m sure Patterson would readily admit that. Sometimes you lose your voice, shit happens. I get the setlists weren’t as varied as some may like, but as some of y’all mentioned it’s tough to consistently reach the standard DBT has set night after night, let alone go above and beyond like they often do.

The only thing I’m mad about was being far too drunk to fully appreciate Cooley playing One of These Days, but I blame 16 ounce PBRs for that.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

bakertom09

Post by bakertom09 »

Bill in CT wrote: Dave Matthews Band sucks ass IMO so I don't care what they do at their shows.
God they are awful. I think they actually only have four songs but suck so bad at playing them that they sound different every night so people think they are getting a diverse setlist.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote: as some of y’all mentioned it’s tough to consistently reach the standard DBT has set night after night
From the shows I've seen, I think they DO consistently reach that standard, and it takes something like laryngitis to be the exception.
Let the outside air in

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Jonicont wrote:For the record, Patterson Hood is a motherfucking beast. I've seen him take to the stage with maladies far more debilitating than laryngitis (shit that would keep most of us in bed) and still put on an ass kicking Rock Show. He doesn't need to apologize for anything. But he'll continue to do so 'cause that's how he rolls.
My first HC show was the night after Craig Lieske died of a heart attack. I was relatively new to their live shows and didn't know anyone on this board personally yet but I had been posting on here and was aware of what Craig meant to everyone. It would have been completely understandable if they cancelled the rest of the weekend, but they didn't. The sense of community was physically palpable to me that night and I've seen them play through other personal illnesses and tragedies since that time. You just can't fake this kind of love for your fans and we love them right back.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote: but I blame 16 ounce PBRs for that.
Those tall boys don't make you do anything but they do let you.
Humboldt wrote:I don't think DBT would have the travelling fan base they do if not for the variety of their setlists.
Good point.
Tequila Cowboy wrote:I think we can agree that there are very few bandleaders who would care quite that much to explain themselves
I may or may not get around to writing something more about this but I think this is the very significant bottom line. And not just to explain themselves but also to say right there in print that the show might not have quite measured up. When's the last time you heard that in real time (as opposed to 10 years later when the now sober bandmembers say "yeah we thought we were killing it back then but holy shit did we suck."

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Oh yeah, Springsteen: I feel like I've seen Springsteen a hell of a lot and at least for the arena/stadium tours what I remember is that he does the one audience request and then changes up 2 to 4 songs from the previous night (obviously not counting specialty items like playing whole albums in order). Over a month there may be considerable variety but I feel like a Springsteen fan attending back to back shows would be pretty excited if they heard 5 different songs in the 2 nites.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:And how often did people get "Iko-Iko->Dark Star->Touch of Grey" or whatever weirdass combination Deadheads lap up?
Never!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:Oh yeah, Springsteen: I feel like I've seen Springsteen a hell of a lot and at least for the arena/stadium tours what I remember is that he does the one audience request and then changes up 2 to 4 songs from the previous night (obviously not counting specialty items like playing whole albums in order). Over a month there may be considerable variety but I feel like a Springsteen fan attending back to back shows would be pretty excited if they heard 5 different songs in the 2 nites.

I was just about to make the same point; great minds, yadda yadda...

And totally concur about DMB suckage. Would not leave my living room to hear them in my backyard if the event was free.
Now it's dark.

Zip Up to Michigan

Y’all can say what you want about DMB. I mentioned them because they’re an extremely popular band putting on multimillion dollar tours with a huge catalog and playing different sets every night.

I’ve been seeing Springsteen since 2003. At least since I’ve been seeing him , it’s always a different show every night with WAY more than 3 or 4 changes. Usually about a dozen, sometimes more. Dude played 144 unique songs on his last band tour.

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Bill in CT wrote: They also played 3 songs from BTCD on Saturday as part of a 23-song setlist. That seems like solid representation to me.
I mean sure, but without looking I can all but guarantee that it wasn't Bob, Perfect Timing, That Man I Shot, SDZ, Home Front, Two Daughters, Monument Valley, Checkout Time in Vegas...

Alls I'm saying is that a lot of the shows seem to line up pretty similarly and when one attends multiple shows a year, it would be a welcome change of pace to hear some songs that are in a deeper rotation.

Also would be rad if they played the Fine Print version of Goode's Field Road too, but maybe I'm a dreamer in that regard.

Still gonna go to the shows, still gonna have a blast. Band fucking slays and is as relevant as ever.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:I’ve been seeing Springsteen since 2003. At least since I’ve been seeing him , it’s always a different show every night with WAY more than 3 or 4 changes. Usually about a dozen, sometimes more. Dude played 144 unique songs on his last band tour.
Some here might want to visit the Killing Floor. Other than the recent River tour, his arena/stadium setlists have been quite varied in recent years
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

WarHenRecords wrote:it would be a welcome change of pace to hear some songs that are in a deeper rotation.
I'll agree with that-- especially at Homecoming when the worldwide hardcore fans are there.

I was happy to hear repeats on the new songs so I could get more familiar with them (in Birmingham, I didn't go to Nashville). I kinda wondered in Birmingham if they saw how many more people were there on night 3 and stuck with more of the standard favorites that night knowing there were a lot of folks there who weren't there the first two nights. And we probably gotta admit that most of us on this board who hit three (or five) shows in a row aren't the average DBT/music fans. I talked to a bunch of folks in Birmingham and met as many people doing just one night as I met who were doing all three. My personal opinion would be screw all the one-night fans and mix it up more, but I also can't blame the band for seeing a packed house on night 3 and playing the crowd-pleasers along with the new songs to tickle the next album release and then throw in a few surprises---seems like a good compromise to please everyone the best they can for different types of fans with different levels of fandom.

Outside of Homecoming, we're probably the outliers in multi-night runs in other cities. At Homecoming, I expect to see more deep rotation songs. Homecoming is the place to say screw the one-nighters and dive deep.
WarHenRecords wrote: Also would be rad if they played the Fine Print version of Goode's Field Road
I won't agree with that. The current live version is perfect.

I do, however, agree with Bill that Dave Matthews sucks ass.
Let the outside air in

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Just wanted to drop back in here to mention I also hate DMB. Carry on.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

schlanky wrote:My personal opinion would be screw all the one-night fans and mix it up more, but I also can't blame the band for seeing a packed house on night 3 and playing the crowd-pleasers along with the new songs to tickle the next album release and then throw in a few surprises---seems like a good compromise to please everyone the best they can for different types of fans with different levels of fandom.
From a business point of view it probably makes sense to go along with this strategy for the next, say 20-25 years, then, when the curve of new fans they are reeling in at every show is starting to level and the theoretical fan-base is becoming "saturated", it may be time to consider doing pure back-catalogue rarities shows.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

While I love DBT's "no set list", off the cuff style of song playing, I don't think it would kill anybody if they were more strategic about their multi-night runs (especially Homecoming).

Just my opinion, but I prefer "no repeat" setlists when I see bands play multiple nights in one venue
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

RolanK wrote:
schlanky wrote:My personal opinion would be screw all the one-night fans and mix it up more, but I also can't blame the band for seeing a packed house on night 3 and playing the crowd-pleasers along with the new songs to tickle the next album release and then throw in a few surprises---seems like a good compromise to please everyone the best they can for different types of fans with different levels of fandom.
From a business point of view it probably makes sense to go along with this strategy for the next, say 20-25 years, then, when the curve of new fans they are reeling in at every show is starting to level and the theoretical fan-base is becoming "saturated", it may be time to consider doing pure back-catalogue rarities shows.
I think they'll have to stick with this for at least thirty years to make it pay off.
Zip City wrote:While I love DBT's "no set list", off the cuff style of song playing, I don't think it would kill anybody if they were more strategic about their multi-night runs (especially Homecoming).

Just my opinion, but I prefer "no repeat" setlists when I see bands play multiple nights in one venue
I wouldn't want to see the very same show two nights in a row--I don't bother going to more than one night for most bands. I think the last exception for me (other than DBT and musicians who are my friends) would be Camper Van Beethoven. The kid's mom and I went both nights to the Atlanta '03 shows, and I'd intended to make three or four in California, or at least two till that little problem I had driving away from Stanford Law. But I also like being able to compare versions of songs from night to night. What they did for It's Great To Be Alive is a reasonable approach--in lieu of a straight-up set list, make a list of songs you try to hit on a multi-night run.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be