"We've always been a poltical band."

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

ledward2

"We've always been a poltical band."

Post by ledward2 »

After American Band was released, and especially after the 2016 election, PH and MC were asked again and again about this overtly political album. Both almost always said the same thing: "We've always been a political band."

So my question is this: When and where have you observed these political underpinnings at Rock Shows? Rock Shows prior to AB, that is. If possible, please include enough info so I can see if I can track down the show in the archives. And/or just tell me the story as best you remember it.

Feel free to tell me about political songs from previous albums, too. And feel free to tell me about political comments made since AB on the Darkened Flags/Dance Band of the Resistance tour. But mainly I am looking for ante-AB instances.

Thanks in advance.
"Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time."

Clams

Re: "We've always been a poltical band."

Post by Clams »

Hell's filling up with Republicans!

First album, second song
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The band has from time to time made "political comments" from the stage but I can't think of any off the top of my head. Isn't there something that would qualify on the It's Great to be Alive album? But political songs? Sheesh! A partial list:

Puttin' People on the Moon
Uncle Frank
Righteous Path
This Fuckin' Job
That Man I Shot
The Three Alabama Icons
Wallace
The Buford Pusser songs
Ronnie & Neil
Birmingham
Late For Church
Too Much Sex
Sands of Iwo Jima
Sinkhole
Ghost to Most
Birthday Boy
After the Scene Dies
Ray's Automatic Weapon
Made Up English Oceans
That Part of Him
Go Go Boots
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

gepman

Post by gepman »

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

2009 Homecoming was the weekend before Obama’s inauguration and they were celebrating. Patterson told the story of George A. voting for Barrack Obama one of the nights (can’t remember which).
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:2009 Homecoming was the weekend before Obama’s inauguration and they were celebrating. Patterson told the story of George A. voting for Barrack Obama one of the nights (can’t remember which).
Yep, I heard Patterson tell that story several times in 2008 also, I specifically remember him telling it at Summerfest in Milwaukee. Also, in the Chicago show with the Hold Steady (which was on the Friday night three days after Obama was first elected) Patterson told a story about watching the election results and celebrating the occasion with the guys in the Hold Steady.

Eyes Above It

Post by Eyes Above It »

The 4th DBT song that I heard was PPOTM
Goddamn Reagan's in the Whitehouse, and nobody gives a damn
From that moment its been blatantly obvious to me where they stand.

ledward2

Post by ledward2 »

beantownbubba wrote:The band has from time to time made "political comments" from the stage but I can't think of any off the top of my head. Isn't there something that would qualify on the It's Great to be Alive album? But political songs? Sheesh! A partial list:

Puttin' People on the Moon
Uncle Frank
Righteous Path
This Fuckin' Job
That Man I Shot
The Three Alabama Icons
Wallace
The Buford Pusser songs
Ronnie & Neil
Birmingham
Late For Church
Too Much Sex
Sands of Iwo Jima
Sinkhole
Ghost to Most
Birthday Boy
After the Scene Dies
Ray's Automatic Weapon
Made Up English Oceans
That Part of Him
Go Go Boots
Yes, definitely some political comments on IGTBA. Cooley introducing English Oceans, and Patterson's changing of the lyrics in Puttin' People on the Moon from "And all them politicians" to "The MFing Tea Party" are the first that come to mind.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:2009 Homecoming was the weekend before Obama’s inauguration and they were celebrating. Patterson told the story of George A. voting for Barrack Obama one of the nights (can’t remember which).
Good example of that from two days after the 2008 election here, in the intro to "The Sands of Iwo Jima."

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I've thought of that ever since as the Goatfucker Homecoming.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

It was always in the songs. Pretty easy to pick up on. As far as the shows? Hard to say. They would say things on stage now and then over the years but it never seemed like it was over the top. It didn't become all politics all the time until right before American Band. That seems to have trailed off a bit closer to the pre AB level which is fine by me.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Yeah, I don't remember much about politics as on-stage banter until 2016. If you couldn't tell what their politics were from their songs, however, you had to be pretty dense. Like Clams pointed out, it was there on the 2nd song of the first album.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Iowan wrote:Yeah, I don't remember much about politics as on-stage banter until 2016.
There was a decent amount of pro-Obama and anti-Tea Party comments coming from the stage from around 2009 on ("and that motherfuckin' Tea Party says a change is coming round but I'm working at the Walmart & Mary Alice in the ground"). But you're right, if definitely became more common in the lead up to the 2016 election.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

brett27295 wrote:
Iowan wrote:Yeah, I don't remember much about politics as on-stage banter until 2016.
There was a decent amount of pro-Obama and anti-Tea Party comments coming from the stage from around 2009 on ("and that motherfuckin' Tea Party says a change is coming round but I'm working at the Walmart & Mary Alice in the ground"). But you're right, if definitely became more common in the lead up to the 2016 election.
I remember the Tea Party change but just saw it as the song getting more topical with time.

Then again, I have a feeling the central character in PPOTM would vote differently than Patterson does. I'd be curious to know what he (Patterson) thinks.

ledward2

Post by ledward2 »

Iowan wrote:
brett27295 wrote:
I remember the Tea Party change but just saw it as the song getting more topical with time.

Then again, I have a feeling the central character in PPOTM would vote differently than Patterson does. I'd be curious to know what he (Patterson) thinks.
I think I would agree with your last statement. Actually, that's too mild. I totally agree. I think PH would agree too. Cooley as well. I wonder if that is the very reason, or at least one of the main reasons, that they became so overtly political when they did. I also wonder if that is why they have remained so outspoken.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'm sure that there were plenty of fans of early-to-mid era DBT songs who looked at songs like PPOTM and This Fucking Job who looked at those songs like the country tunes that stood up for the working man. The occasional "goddamn Reagan's in the Whithouse" line can be overlooked because the overall message is one of support for the blue collars. The fans didn't turn on them until they more overtly linked the bad conditions of the working class with the politicians and their policies.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

There's a good argument to be made about whether the line "all them politicians, they're just lying sacks of shit" is political or not. There's a sense in which it's anti-political: How can someone who believes that be political? The guy who says it (as opposed to the guy who wrote it) doesn't participate in politics. Doesn't pay his income taxes, or into Social Security if he can help it, either. He might vote, but he's anti-political.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Excellent point. PPOTM is sung from the POV of a character. New songs are mostly sung from the POV of Patterson
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:There's a good argument to be made about whether the line "all them politicians, they're just lying sacks of shit" is political or not. There's a sense in which it's anti-political: How can someone who believes that be political? The guy who says it (as opposed to the guy who wrote it) doesn't participate in politics. Doesn't pay his income taxes, or into Social Security if he can help it, either. He might vote, but he's anti-political.
I pay taxes, and vote, and love that line. You can be anti politician, and still be political.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

lele larue

Post by lele larue »

The President's Penis is Missing
The Homefront
✌️

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

lele larue wrote:The President's Penis is Missing

✌️
Yes, but that was making fun of Clinton, so that's okay