Gangstabilly album cover

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

ledward2

Gangstabilly album cover

Post by ledward2 »

Regarding the Gangstabilly album cover, do any of you HeAthens know what (if anything) the license plate on the front the car (a '68 Bonneville?) is supposed to say?
"Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time."

Smitty

Re: Gangstabilly album cover

Post by Smitty »

"FORGET,
HELL"

It's a popular tag/bumper sticker in the south, usually accompanied by Johnny Reb or the Confederate flag.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

ledward2

Post by ledward2 »

Of course. Now I see it clearly. Thanks, Smitty.

What are the intentions of such an image? That the Confederate soldiers are far more vicious--and thus more worthy of fearing--than hell?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

ledward2 wrote:Of course. Now I see it clearly. Thanks, Smitty.

What are the intentions of such an image? That the Confederate soldiers are far more vicious--and thus more worthy of fearing--than hell?
Note the comma between forget and hell. IOW, "we will not forget" either the civil war or rebel soldiers depending on how one wants to interpret the accompanying visual.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

ledward2

Post by ledward2 »

beantownbubba wrote:
ledward2 wrote:Of course. Now I see it clearly. Thanks, Smitty.

Note the comma between forget and hell. IOW, "we will not forget" either the civil war or rebel soldiers depending on how one wants to interpret the accompanying visual.
Thanks, BTB. That makes sense. Part of the problem was that I couldn't see the comma on my browser since I keep my magnification at 125%. Even then, though, a Comp professor and/or editor (I am neither . . . but I do spend a fair amount of time writing, and thus editing) would likely still have issues with it. I assume the intending meaning is something like "Forget? Hell no!" More verbosely, "Forget the Civil War? Hell no!"

I've lived in the South all my life and I have never seen this image. I have seen the "American by birth, Southern by the grace of God," and the "Durn tootin' I'm a Rebel," depictions, but never "Forget, Hell!"

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Smitty wrote:Image
growing up in western North Carolina I rarely ever saw the Confederate flag in any manner. That said, anytime we'd take a family roadtrip to places like Myrtle Beach, Chattanooga, north Georgia, you'd see people selling FORGET HELL! beach towels, mudflaps, and stuff like that on roadsides.
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Not that they were ever a rarity, but in my estimation, the amount of Confederate flag displayed around here has probably tripled since, oh I don't know, 2008?
My brother used to have an old Camaro with that "Forget, Hell" tags on the front. BTB nailed the meaning, just another way of saying "old time are not forgotten".

Flea

Post by Flea »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
growing up in western North Carolina I rarely ever saw the Confederate flag in any manner. That said, anytime we'd take a family roadtrip to places like Myrtle Beach, Chattanooga, north Georgia, you'd see people selling FORGET HELL! beach towels, mudflaps, and stuff like that on roadsides.
Shit like this and the battle flag were rather ubiquitous in Alexander County NC in the 70s/80s. Tough to NOT spot it.
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Flea wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Shit like this and the battle flag were rather ubiquitous in Alexander County NC in the 70s/80s. Tough to NOT spot it.
Not in Buncombe County
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

scotto

Post by scotto »

ledward2 wrote:Thanks, BTB. That makes sense. Part of the problem was that I couldn't see the comma on my browser since I keep my magnification at 125%. Even then, though, a Comp professor and/or editor (I am neither . . . but I do spend a fair amount of time writing, and thus editing) would likely still have issues with it. I assume the intending meaning is something like "Forget? Hell no!" More verbosely, "Forget the Civil War? Hell no!"
I grew up in Arkansas in the '60s and saw this shit all the time (along with the license plate of a donkey farting that said "LBJ has spoken"--remember those?). I always took it to mean, "Fergit bein' trounced by the Yankees? Hail nah!
Maybe it makes more sense if you add extra syllables: Fer-GEE-yit, Hay-uhl!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I saw a Confederate flag flying in Minnesota recently. There wasn't an American flag on the pole.

It's become en vogue for "pissing off libtards".

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

I always have to wonder, what is worse? Just plain old dumb asses or the people that assume dumb asses are racist.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

When I see a confederate flag in Ohio, my first reaction is "way to show your ass to everyone."
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

In 1982 my Boy Scout troop went to the world's fair in Knoxville. On the way we spent a few days in the Smoky Mountains and Gatlinburg. This image was everywhere. License plates, tshirts, stickers, etc. 99% of the kids in my troop bought something with this image on it. I went to Douglas Freeman HS in Richmond and our mascot was the Rebels and you could buy stuff from the school store with this image on it. I never owned anything with this image on it but in middle school I did have a Dukes of Hazzard tshirt before I knew what the flag really stood for.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Flea

Post by Flea »

Swamp wrote:I always have to wonder, what is worse? Just plain old dumb asses or the people that assume dumb asses are racist.
It's pretty safe to say that even though not all dumbasses are racists, all racists ARE dumbasses.
Now it's dark.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Flea wrote:
Swamp wrote:I always have to wonder, what is worse? Just plain old dumb asses or the people that assume dumb asses are racist.
It's pretty safe to say that even though not all dumbasses are racists, all racists ARE dumbasses.
That safety depends on where and to whom you are speaking.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Flea

Post by Flea »

LBRod wrote:
Flea wrote:
That safety depends on where and to whom you are speaking.
I defer to your wisdom, Sensei. :lol:
Now it's dark.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I wish all racists were stupid. It'd make kicking their asses a lot easier.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Flea wrote:
It's always a mistake to assume the opposition is dumb, especially when that opposition essentially had their way w/ their part of the world for hundreds of years. It takes something more than dumbass to make that happen. Although I guess dumbass is one of those words capable of many interpretations and if you're not using it to mean "stupid" you're probably right.

Just for yucks, I've noticed more and more in my part of the world that the word "schmuck" is capable of of similar slipperiness. You know you don't want to be called a schmuck, but exactly what you're being called is far from an exact science or a general consensus.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:
Flea wrote:
It's always a mistake to assume the opposition is dumb, especially when that opposition essentially had their way w/ their part of the world for hundreds of years. It takes something more than dumbass to make that happen. Although I guess dumbass is one of those words capable of many interpretations and if you're not using it to mean "stupid" you're probably right.

Just for yucks, I've noticed more and more in my part of the world that the word "schmuck" is capable of of similar slipperiness. You know you don't want to be called a schmuck, but exactly what you're being called is far from an exact science or a general consensus.
Correct. Isn't English a frustratingly wonderful and mutable language? I pity ESL learners.
Now it's dark.