Setlist (or lack thereof) question

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: Setlist (or lack thereof) question

Post by Clams »

brett27295 wrote:
Flea wrote:
Their was a show at the 9:30 Club that, when I left the building, I could have SWORN Cooley did Zip City twice. Ended up being me, not them. I don't even think Clams was there to blame.
He's always to blame.
:x
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I think I remember that "Hearing Jimmy Loud" is Cooley cupping his hand by his ear (an "I can't hear you" gesture) but I'm not sure if that's an accurate memory.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

ledward2

Post by ledward2 »

beantownbubba wrote:I have seen them improvise (change their mind) on closing the show more than once: You AND THEY think it's the finale but they forget to stop and can go on for either one or several more songs. My sense on this is that they generally follow Patterson's lead. A lot of fans (including me) thought that's what happened on the Saturday nite of this year's homecoming, which seemed to be heading towards a 2:20ish conclusion but ended up going a full 3 hours.
I felt the same way at homecoming, yet I am a novice. Where did you initially sense the show was ending? (I pasted the setlist below to keep you from having to search.) It seems we all knew they were going to bring Lily out for the AHC song. From there I started sensing a figurative crescendo. When they played Company I Keep I sensed it. And again at KKK. At What It Means I thought perhaps we had arrived at Moksha/Nirvana/Heaven and that it would never end.

Ramon Casiano
Lookout Mountain
Gravity's Gone
Do It Yourself
Women Without Whiskey
Tales Facing Up
Sounds Better in the Song
Heathens
3 Dimes Down
Goode's Field Road
Shit Shots Count
I'm Eighteen
Zip City
18 Wheels of Love
Marry Me
My Sweet Annette
Runaway Train
First Air of Autumn
Guns of Umpqua
Surrender Under Protest
The Company I Keep
Kinky Hypocrite
The KKK Took My Baby Away
Southern Accents / Ever South
Made Up English Oceans
What It Means
Filthy and Fried
The Righteous Path
Where the Devil Don't Stay
Hell No, I Ain't Happy / Sign “☮” the Times
People Who Died
"Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time."

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

ledward2 wrote: I felt the same way at homecoming, yet I am a novice. Where did you initially sense the show was ending? (I pasted the setlist below to keep you from having to search.) It seems we all knew they were going to bring Lily out for the AHC song. From there I started sensing a figurative crescendo. When they played Company I Keep I sensed it. And again at KKK. At What It Means I thought perhaps we had arrived at Moksha/Nirvana/Heaven and that it would never end.
I wasn't there past Thursday this year due to an awful virus and left Athens Friday morning. However there is no way DBT were leaving the stage on night 3 at Homecoming without finishing up with People Who Died. Absolutely no way.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

ledward2

Post by ledward2 »

brett27295 wrote:
ledward2 wrote: I felt the same way at homecoming, yet I am a novice. Where did you initially sense the show was ending? (I pasted the setlist below to keep you from having to search.) It seems we all knew they were going to bring Lily out for the AHC song. From there I started sensing a figurative crescendo. When they played Company I Keep I sensed it. And again at KKK. At What It Means I thought perhaps we had arrived at Moksha/Nirvana/Heaven and that it would never end.
I wasn't there past Thursday this year due to an awful virus and left Athens Friday morning. However there is no way DBT were leaving the stage on night 3 at Homecoming without finishing up with People Who Died. Absolutely no way.
Agreed. I just thought it might occur several songs earlier.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

ledward2 wrote:
Agreed. I just thought it might occur several songs earlier.
Good point.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

If you assume that the ending would have been one more song each plus "People Who Died" or maybe "Grand Canyon", I thought the first sign that the end was approaching was "Kinky Hypocrite." But no way do they end on a non-Patterson/Cooley note, so KKK wasn't it. Then came a a couple of "slow ones" and those weren't gonna be it, so we were already pushing boundaries. That's when I first thought we might be entering "encore set" (i.e. long, long encore) territory. The last time I thought about it was at "What It Means," after that it was just enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts. If I had to guess, I'd say Patterson made up his mind either after Kinky (calling on Matt 'cause he knew there was plenty of "room" on the other side) or after KKK when they went into the "slow ones" which they wouldn't have done if they thought they had reached the finally final crescendo.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

phungi wrote:
buddymo wrote:I’d love a poster with a chart of all of the hand signals.
Spoiler Alert: List of known/suspected signals to follow

From this thread (and others), and personal experience, here is a list of songs mentioned that have signals, and the signal for that song. Consider this a working list, and feel free to copy/paste/add

Cooley:
English Oceans:fingers vertical over eye (like a pirate eye patch, maybe? I'm not sure what the reference is here)
Surrender Under Protest: both arms in an “X”
Filthy and Fried: fingers walking
First Air of Autumn: finger(s) to nose
Devil Don’t Stay: devil horns
Three Dimes Down: three fingers
Shit Shots Count: shooting pool gesture
Hearing Jimmy Loud: cupped hand to ear
Self Destructive Zones: gun to the head
Imagine: fingers make circles around the eyes, like John Lennon glasses
Natural Light: a flash of light gesture by the side of the head
Slow Ride Argument: hand moving up and down in an ocean wave or roller coaster like movement

Patterson:
Fourth Night of My Drinking: four fingers
Ever South: one finger pointed down, repeated a few times
Heroin Again: finger laid against inside of the forearm like a needle
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

ledward2 wrote:Thanks for all the insight, HeAthens. The one specific I don't think anyone has addressed, however, is the finale. Here are some things I wonder:

Do they know who will close the show? For example, I noticed that last week Cooley closed with Shut Up. Cooley rarely closes; was this discussed beforehand?
I don't think they plan out the finale. I have no idea if that's true or not, it's just the sense I get. I feel like they mainly close with a Patterson song and it seems like when they close with a Cooley song it's because they ran up against a curfew and simply ran out of time. I don't know if that's intentional or not, it's just my observation.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

hughesaz

Post by hughesaz »

CooleyGirl wrote: I don't think they plan out the finale. I have no idea if that's true or not, it's just the sense I get. I feel like they mainly close with a Patterson song and it seems like when they close with a Cooley song it's because they ran up against a curfew and simply ran out of time. I don't know if that's intentional or not, it's just my observation.
That was my impression at their Phoenix show in February. They closed the show with a killer version of Shut Up, but it felt like they had another song or two queued up. I glanced at my watch and noticed that it was 12:02 a.m..

Damn curfew.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

The only one I have ever figured out was English Oceans and I just really figure anything out. I just saw Cooley cover one eye and then they started playingit. I wonder how that came to be the signal.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Don't know if this deserves its own thread or not but Patterson discusses hand signals, Muscle Shoals, his Pops and other things in this Gear Club podcast.
https://www.gear-club.net/episodes/patterson-hood-gb5cm
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Rocky wrote:Don't know if this deserves its own thread or not but Patterson discusses hand signals, Muscle Shoals, his Pops and other things in this Gear Club podcast.
Good listen! Interviewers only dropped the ball on this one:

PATTERSON: My favorite Drive-By Truckers song is a Mike Cooley song.
(EVERYONE LISTENING: WHICH SONG?!)
INTERVIEWERS: Hmm.

Anyone have a bead on this from other sources? I've heard him praise a ton of Cooley songs at various points, but what's he referring to here?
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Rocky wrote:Don't know if this deserves its own thread or not but Patterson discusses hand signals, Muscle Shoals, his Pops and other things in this Gear Club podcast.

Anyone have a bead on this from other sources? I've heard him praise a ton of Cooley songs at various points, but what's he referring to here?
I'm not 100% certain but I believe Patterson's referred to "zip city" this way before.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mundane Mayhem wrote:

I'm not 100% certain but I believe Patterson's referred to "zip city" this way before.
I had this thought, too, but then remembered this line from the BTCD commentary: "Cooley closes his set with A Ghost to Most, which I am firmly convinced is the best song he's ever written."

Maybe "best" doesn't equal "favorite."
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I liked this podcast as well, especially Patterson talking about records made by The Swampers.

Guessing Zip City too.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

ledward2

Post by ledward2 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
brett27295 wrote:
beantownbubba wrote: A related mystery is how they supposedly never practice but manage to work new songs into the set and even more impressively (to me, anyway) re-work existing songs into substantially new versions.
I'm guessing soundchecks. But that's just a guess (though a somewhat educated one).
It's during soundchecks. They work on a lot of material that way.
I brought up a similar point on the Wheels of Soul thread, but I don't think anyone ever responded to that particular point. When I saw them open for TTB in Southaven, MS, I arrived in time to hear sound check, albeit from afar. As far as I could tell, they played portions of four songs: Tornadoes, English Oceans, and two more PH songs that I had never heard before. Granted, I am hardly an aficionado, but, to the best of my knowledge, these were new songs the band was working on. Not Babies in Cages, or The Perilous Night, and even though I have not heard them live, nor was it Heroin Again or the new USA song. Anybody pick up on similar things at other venues?

I guess I should just simmer down bc according to the AJC a new album is in the works, perhaps as I type.
And in bigger news for fans, Hood and Cooley have written a batch of new songs and will be recording them with Athens producer David Barbe.

“We’ll have just come out of the studio when we get to Atlanta,” Hood says. “We’re making the record in Memphis, which is something we’ve talked about doing literally since the Adam’s House Cat days.

“We were going to make ‘American Band’ in Memphis, but for logistical reasons, it ended up moving to Nashville. The new one we’re doing in Sam Phillips studio, which is supposed to be super cool. David Barbe will produce, again. I can’t wait to see what will happen.”

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

ledward2 wrote:I brought up a similar point on the Wheels of Soul thread, but I don't think anyone ever responded to that particular point. When I saw them open for TTB in Southaven, MS, I arrived in time to hear sound check, albeit from afar. As far as I could tell, they played portions of four songs: Tornadoes, English Oceans, and two more PH songs that I had never heard before. Granted, I am hardly an aficionado, but, to the best of my knowledge, these were new songs the band was working on. Not Babies in Cages, or The Perilous Night, and even though I have not heard them live, nor was it Heroin Again or the new USA song. Anybody pick up on similar things at other venues?

I guess I should just simmer down bc according to the AJC a new album is in the works, perhaps as I type.
And in bigger news for fans, Hood and Cooley have written a batch of new songs and will be recording them with Athens producer David Barbe.

“We’ll have just come out of the studio when we get to Atlanta,” Hood says. “We’re making the record in Memphis, which is something we’ve talked about doing literally since the Adam’s House Cat days.

“We were going to make ‘American Band’ in Memphis, but for logistical reasons, it ended up moving to Nashville. The new one we’re doing in Sam Phillips studio, which is supposed to be super cool. David Barbe will produce, again. I can’t wait to see what will happen.”
Yep, they are in Memphis at the Philips studio this week. As far as soundchecks they often work up new material that way. Also that's where they work up songs they haven't played in awhile.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

ledward2

Post by ledward2 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
ledward2 wrote:I brought up a similar point on the Wheels of Soul thread, but I don't think anyone ever responded to that particular point. When I saw them open for TTB in Southaven, MS, I arrived in time to hear sound check, albeit from afar. As far as I could tell, they played portions of four songs: Tornadoes, English Oceans, and two more PH songs that I had never heard before. Granted, I am hardly an aficionado, but, to the best of my knowledge, these were new songs the band was working on. Not Babies in Cages, or The Perilous Night, and even though I have not heard them live, nor was it Heroin Again or the new USA song. Anybody pick up on similar things at other venues?

Yep, they are in Memphis at the Philips studio this week. As far as soundchecks they often work up new material that way. Also that's where they work up songs they haven't played in awhile.
What is Phillips studio? At first I was thinking Sun, but that seems unlikely.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

ledward2 wrote:What is Phillips studio? At first I was thinking Sun, but that seems unlikely.
http://samphillipsrecording.com/about/
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

ledward2

Post by ledward2 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
ledward2 wrote:What is Phillips studio? At first I was thinking Sun, but that seems unlikely.
http://samphillipsrecording.com/about/
Well, I'll be. Just when I thought I knew almost everything. I guess I should've finished Guralnick's book on Sam and then I would've read about this (I'm on page 409 of 750). That looks like an amazing place. So cool that they are going to record there/are recording there right now. And it's not even a half a mile from Sun. Any of you heathens ever visited it?

Yaz Rock

Post by Yaz Rock »

This hand signal concept intrigues me. Here's a couple that I noticed on Saturday at College Street Music Hall, and I hope I am matching the song to the correct gesture

Goode's Field Road: Left fist raised, but not quite like the Black Power salute, but the fist was bent back and twisted. Patterson also cocked his head like if someone being hung had their neck snapped. I'm not sure if that was part of the official song gesture, or that was him trying to get whomever's attention.

Plastic Flowers on the Highway: Both fists held close together chest high, inside wrist to inside wrist, as if both hands were handcuffed together.

phungi wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:58 am
buddymo wrote:I’d love a poster with a chart of all of the hand signals.
Spoiler Alert: List of known/suspected signals to follow

From this thread (and others), and personal experience, here is a list of songs mentioned that have signals, and the signal for that song. Consider this a working list, and feel free to copy/paste/add

Cooley:
English Oceans:fingers horizontal over eye
Surrender Under Protest: both arms in an “X”
Filthy and Fried: fingers walking
First Air of Autumn: finger(s) to nose
Devil Don’t Stay: devil horns
Three Dimes Down: three fingers
Shit Shots Count:
Hearing Jimmy Loud:
Self Destructive Zones: gun to the head
Imagine:

Patterson: