Woodstock, NY (The Colony)

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

guitarmanmcs

Woodstock, NY (The Colony)

Post by guitarmanmcs »

I just grabbed two tickets to the show at the Colony in Woodstock. Has anyone ever been to the venue? It looks insanely small, which I guess is why tickets were more. Any recommendations on things to do in the area?

Yaz Rock

Re: Woodstock, NY (The Colony)

Post by Yaz Rock »

Yup. Great venue! Built in the 1920s, it is one of the few historic resort relics from that time still around.

What kind of things are you looking to do? There are lots of great hikes nearby. For good eats, there's plenty of restaurants/cafes in town, but for those who aren't into the hippie reverie aesthetic of Woodstock, Kingston NY isn't too far away - there are some cool pockets of town worth checking out for food/drink there too.

guitarmanmcs

Post by guitarmanmcs »

Sounds good. Probably going to do some hiking and outdoors stuff. What do you think is the capacity of the venue?

Yaz Rock

Post by Yaz Rock »

Someone else posted capacity around 300 in the tour thread.

Overlook Mountain (and the ruins of the Overlook Mountain House hotel, which the Colony was built in conjunction with) is the nearest good hike. Giant Ledge, further out past Big Indian, is also a really cool hike, or at least one with a very rewarding view!

if it's open, Opus 40 is a cool attraction - handbuilt large-scale sculptural stone work.

Saugerties, another cool small town, is nearby too. A walk out to the Saugerties lighthouse is a great outdoorsy thing to do.

guitarmanmcs

Post by guitarmanmcs »

Thanks for the info. You catching the show?

Yaz Rock

Post by Yaz Rock »

Definitely! Heading up with a couple friends.

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

Yep; got my ticket. Can't wait to see 'em in such a small joint.
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

That place looks intimate. Congrats to all ticket holders.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Whispering Pines

Post by Whispering Pines »

Counting the days on one hand until the Truckers play my home town. Feeling a little bad that that there are tickets still left for a venue that claims a capacity on the shy side of 400 (and that would be one very packed house). In any event, this is by far the smallest venue in which I've seen the band, save the only other time they played Woodstock, at Levon Helm's barn. Patterson's dad was on hand for that show, and joined the band to play bass on "Respect Yourself."

A little Woodstock primer. Upscale eats are to be found at the Bear Cafe (about two miles west of town), Sylvia's, and Cuchina (at the eastern entrance to town). More moderate fare is available at Catskill Mountain Pizza (where my band has played many a show), Joshua's, and Yum Yum Noodles. Here's a link for more info: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants ... _York.html

The pizza joint has a bar, and there's a street-side patio at the Laundau Grill, which also serves decent pub fare. Locals gravitate to a bar towards the west side of town (101 Tinker Street) called The Station, which also has a nice patio.

The nearest hike is up Overlook Mountain, which looks down on Woodstock. It's kind of a boring 5-mile walk mostly up an old logging road, but the payoff is a fire tower that offers an incredible view of the Hudson Valley. The trail also brings you past a ghostly hotel that burned down late in the 19th century (the Colony was actually built to house folks traveling to the mountain lodge). If it's still brutally hot, you might also want to find your way to the lovely stream that runs just south of the center of town.

See you at the rock show!

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Whispering Pines wrote:Counting the days on one hand until the Truckers play my home town. Feeling a little bad that that there are tickets still left for a venue that claims a capacity on the shy side of 400 (and that would be one very packed house). In any event, this is by far the smallest venue in which I've seen the band, save the only other time they played Woodstock, at Levon Helm's barn. Patterson's dad was on hand for that show, and joined the band to play bass on "Respect Yourself."

A little Woodstock primer. Upscale eats are to be found at the Bear Cafe (about two miles west of town), Sylvia's, and Cuchina (at the eastern entrance to town). More moderate fare is available at Catskill Mountain Pizza (where my band has played many a show), Joshua's, and Yum Yum Noodles. Here's a link for more info: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants ... _York.html

The pizza joint has a bar, and there's a street-side patio at the Laundau Grill, which also serves decent pub fare. Locals gravitate to a bar towards the west side of town (101 Tinker Street) called The Station, which also has a nice patio.

The nearest hike is up Overlook Mountain, which looks down on Woodstock. It's kind of a boring 5-mile walk mostly up an old logging road, but the payoff is a fire tower that offers an incredible view of the Hudson Valley. The trail also brings you past a ghostly hotel that burned down late in the 19th century (the Colony was actually built to house folks traveling to the mountain lodge). If it's still brutally hot, you might also want to find your way to the lovely stream that runs just south of the center of town.
Thank you for the tips! See you at the show!
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Whispering Pines

A writer friend of mine hit up Patterson for tix to the Colony and emailed me the info that because of the size and configuration of the club, they're likely to play and acoustic show. Kind of bummed, but then again, I haven't seen an acoustic show since the tour that followed Jason's departure. And maybe they'll get to Woodstock and just have to plug in their electric guitars.

Yaz Rock

Post by Yaz Rock »

Acoustic would be fine by me, I am always down for something different. That said, surely they've had electric shows in there before. Don't see why DBT would be any different. It's no tinier than Maxwell's or Mercury Lounge.

See you all tomorrow!

guitarmanmcs

Post by guitarmanmcs »

My first trip to Woodstock tomorrow. I’ve never seen the band acoustic, just Cooley and Hood at separate solo shows. I’d be a bit bummed if it wasn’t electric. I’m driving over four hours each way. But maybe acoustic would be something different. I’ve heard good things about this venue. There’s still tickets available. I would have thought this would have sold out in a few hours!

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Patterson just confirmed on Instagram that the show tonight will be of the "Dirt Underneath" variety. Venue looks nice but really small. Looks like a great room for an acoustic show.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Well, I guess one could be bummed if they're not getting what they expected. But a Dirt Underneath with some hard core Heathens in a tiny club should be a night to remember
Always go to the show

guitarmanmcs

Post by guitarmanmcs »

It was excellent.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

The Deeper In
Gravity’s Gone
Sinkhole
Ramon Casiano
21st Century USA
Panties in Your Purse
Heathens
Slow Ride Argument
Thoughts and Prayers
Sounds Better in the Song
The Opening Act
72 (This Highway’s Mean)
Ronnie and Neil
Surrender Under Protest
Babies in Cages
One of These Days
Bulldozers and Dirt
Marry Me
Why Henry Drinks
Filthy and Fried
Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife
First Air of Autumn
What It Means
Shit Shots Count
Grand Canyon

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

FOUR new unreleased songs in one show. Just another typically atypical nite at the rock show. As somebody once said, always go to the show.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Jcnowak55

Post by Jcnowak55 »

Is there any recording of this show or the new songs anywhere yet?

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Jcnowak55 wrote:Is there any recording of this show or the new songs anywhere yet?
Take a breath man, the show was just last night. It was recorded and will show up. 21st Century USA is here-- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8862
Always go to the show

Jcnowak55

Post by Jcnowak55 »

Yeah I knew it was a little soon just wondering lol thanks for the link the I really appreciate it!!!

jberg72

Post by jberg72 »

Hats off to the gentleman with the "Horse Farm Drunk" shirt last night......made for a great reaction from Patterson. Appreciate you telling me the full story after the show.....forgot your name but think you were with a young lady named Meghan. Till the next rock show.....

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

jberg72 wrote:Hats off to the gentleman with the "Horse Farm Drunk" shirt last night......made for a great reaction from Patterson. Appreciate you telling me the full story after the show.....forgot your name but think you were with a young lady named Meghan. Till the next rock show.....
That would have been Steve (SteveinCTneedsadrink)
Always go to the show

OldCloverdale

Post by OldCloverdale »

25 songs is pretty damn strong.

SteveInCTNeedsADrink

Post by SteveInCTNeedsADrink »

Hell yeah brother nice meeting you & all the other fine folks we met last night! Always so many damn good people we meet at these shows & we were treated to an EPIC evening in such an intimate venue last night! Just a loss for words at how amazing it was! Time to get off my ass & get up to Hartford for a mini rock show tonight!

Whispering Pines

I was initially disappointed that Woodstock would not be treated to a full-bore rock show, but having played with my own band at the Colony, I did wonder how DBT could modulate its wall-of-guitars to not overwhelm the relatively small club. The "dirt underneath" solution proved to be the right call, and gave the show an even greater sense of spontaneity than usual. The only other time I saw an acoustic show was right after Jason left the band, at the Bowery Ballroom, and it was charming if a bit shambling, but nowhere near as good as last night This was a rock show powered by acoustic guitars, and it was fun to hear Patterson and Cooley recreate their electric breaks on their acoustics. Jay added some electric guitar, and while his keyboard set-up was minimal, it was nothing compared to EZB's bare-bones kit, which didn't even include a tom. The new song that struck me hardest was "Babies in Cages," and given the context of their summer tour, it probably wasn't an accident that Patterson pulled out "The Opening Act." And I've got to think that it was the intimate atmosphere that prompted the the choice to end the show with "Grand Canyon." There was no long fade-out; just a sweetly sad end to a special night.

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Pretty sure that the reason for the Dirt Underneath was because all their electric stuff gets packed up for the next Wheels of Soul show and it would be too much to unload and reload all that stuff.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

uncle rickey wrote:The Deeper In
Gravity’s Gone
Sinkhole
Ramon Casiano
21st Century USA
Panties in Your Purse
Heathens
Slow Ride Argument
Thoughts and Prayers
Sounds Better in the Song
The Opening Act
72 (This Highway’s Mean)
Ronnie and Neil
Surrender Under Protest
Babies in Cages
One of These Days
Bulldozers and Dirt
Marry Me
Why Henry Drinks
Filthy and Fried
Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife
First Air of Autumn
What It Means
Shit Shots Count
Grand Canyon
This was a shockingly (shouldn't be shocked anymore) superb show.

A few notes and thoughts...I'll start at the back. EZ B. Playing “unplugged” really reveals how incredibly critical Brad is to the DBT sound. Even with one snare, kick, hi-hat, and ride, there was still both a sense of power (“Marry Me”, “Sink Hole”, “Grand Canyon”, “Surrender Under Protest”), and lightness and touch (“The Opening Act”, “Sounds Better in the Song” and many others).

He can do it all, in any configuration. Super underrated, super steady, a less-than-secret weapon. Really appreciated it anew last night. And I loved how he keyed into especially Patterson as song endings (both new and old ones) shifted and changed depending on the whims of the front line. And the smile when he, of course, hung with the changes, and nailed 'em. Brad's playing rewards close listening to discover more and more in his parts every time, every show.

This was one of those shows where it was idiot grin time from the first notes, in this case of "The Deeper In". There was a little apprehension expressed beforehand about whether the audience "would be OK" with an acoustic show. I think those fears were allayed from the start, and certainly by the time the trio of "Gravity's Gone", "Sinkhole", and "Ramon Casiano" followed "The Deeper In", and proved beyond the shadow of a doubt that they were going to have a rock show, just with Cooley and Patterson shouldering acoustics.

I was telling Ms. Wordman that it felt, to me, like a connection to early rock 'n roll, pre-60s, in a way: the "heavier" material often reminded me, in terms of "feel" of some of the great roots rock music that surely was all around when the band were young, listening to all of the music made in their region. There was more "ooomph" than twang, which may have something to do with not being a duo show, but a full band one.

The new songs continue to develop, to take shape. Lyrically, as we've seen they concern "current events", as no matter how much PH might want to "move on", as a chronicler of our times, he's able to nail something essential about the essence of the dangers in our country at the moment. Musically, I'm very interested in how the PH songs evolve, as the guys play them more and more, and find aspects to discover and transform.

On the other hand, having it stuck in my head for two weeks in Europe, I'll venture to say Cooley's "Slow Ride Argument" is right f**king there already, and will be a set mainstay for a long time. Deceptively simple, with Cooley, Patterson, and Matt overlapping vocals (which also will evolve, I'm certain, especially Matt's part), it's got a killer chorus, Cooley's usual aphoristic genius (Take two Tall Boy beers/not one, not three..."), and is a total earworm. It shows Cooley's uncanny ability to create something tight and catchy without pounding one over the head with repeated chorus after repeated chorus. It's rapidly moving up my own personal favorite chart.

Of the quieter material, "Sounds Better in the Song", "Heathens", a heartbreaking version of "Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife", and the surprise of "The Opening Act" again were gorgeous, swinging, and benefited not only from Brad's aforementioned agile and understated support, but also Jay and Matt being able to pull back and always add, never subtract with their playing. And, to me, both PH and Cooley are singing these quieter songs better than ever: finding nuance without oversinging, and drawing out the melodies perfectly. Jay's parts, especially the keys, were a little hard to hear from where I was standing; not sure if that was the case further back in the room, or upstairs.

There were some very funny moments: Patterson losing it entirely when one of the gang reacted...strongly...to the opening notes of "Bulldozers and Dirt" (!), the aforementioned "T-shirt Recognition Award", and being so close to everyone, just being able to see all the interaction among the band. They've said it, and it's patently clear: they LIKE each other a lot right now, and it really, really shows. It's healthy. I hope it stays that way till they're all ancient.

The Colony is a sweet little venue, and I hope they return there for more Dirt Underneath-style shows. This was an excellent start.

(And thanks to CooleyGirl and Uncle Rickey for the lift, of course!)
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

SteveInCTNeedsADrink

Post by SteveInCTNeedsADrink »

So the full horse farm drunk story for everybody is available on here from the Schneider’s amazing backyard Dimmer Twins party. After downloading the show & cranking it along with some drinks I was a little house porch bar drunk & figured I just absolutely had to have that on a t-shirt. From what I’m guessing they were just joking about naming the new album that & I would never be able to own a shirt like that. So did some internet searching & found a site to design your own shirt & actually made a pretty damn good one. The kicker is that next summer we’re actually moving to a goddamn horse farm in SC! I’ve been drunk there a pretty good number of times already & there will be many more times upcoming in the future! So I just had to have a damn shirt like that. Patterson mentioned it & Cooleygirl threw me up at the stage & I mumbled something but don’t even know what words came out cause I was pretty baked at the time. (We had to smoke one for Levon in the cemetery pre-show) Anyways I was asked by a shit ton of people about the shirt & that’s the story. There’s none for sale & it’s just something as a fan of the band I drunkenly created for myself. They are my favorite band of all time & I just had to have a Horse Farm Drunk shirt as part of the inside joke. Unless of course they really do name the new album that!

misterbrow

Post by misterbrow »

It was one of those shows you hear about after the fact and then wish you could get to one like that. After getting the shorter set at SPAC, it hit the spot.

Thinking acoustic and small venue my brother decided to bring along my 11 year-old nephew for his first concert. As the story goes when he was in second grade they had an assignment in school where they made a poster and one of the questions was favorite song. His classmates went with stuff like Bruno Mars and he listed "Ghost to Most" by the Drive By Truckers. Thanks to everyone in Cooleyville that made sure he could see, hooked him up with waters, and earplugs (as dad left them sitting in his office at work).

After driving up from Annapolis all of the 930 club shirts were wild.