Thalia Hall Chicago 4/6 and 4/7 (Both Sold Out)

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Cubfan06

Thalia Hall Chicago 4/6 and 4/7 (Both Sold Out)

Post by Cubfan06 »

Work travel has hindered me seeing DBT in about a year. Alas, I'm in town and I can't wait for the Rock Show next weekend!

Zip Up to Michigan

Re: Thalia Hall Chicago 4/6 and 4/7 (Both Sold Out)

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

IN + 5 friends for both nights! Lets rawk!!

Anyone have any good pre game dive bar recommendations? Last time we got all weird in the Mexican place across the street. No one was speaking in English...except for the Dexateens who were also drinking in that bar. :lol:

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:IN + 5 friends for both nights! Lets rawk!!

Anyone have any good pre game dive bar recommendations? Last time we got all weird in the Mexican place across the street. No one was speaking in English...except for the Dexateens who were also drinking in that bar. :lol:
:lol:
I ended up at the Mexican bar post show on that Saturday night in a drunken haze. I ordered an overabundance of craft punches at the PunchHouse in the basement of Thalia Hall at set break and during DBT's set.

I'll probably pre-drink again at Simone's which is down the block from Thalia Hall. It isn't necessarily a "dive bar", but they don't mind you turning it up a couple notches. I'd recommend the Portabello Fries w/wasabi aoili and soy sauce. Not necessarily a culinary epiphany, but they are damn good app to drink beer with. If you don't feel like eating at Simone's I'd recommend Honky Tonk BBQ which is also within a block of Thalia Hall.

Cheers.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

We were in but looks like we won't be making it this time.
Shit sucks.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Smitty wrote:We were in but looks like we won't be making it this time.
Shit sucks.
Bummer w/ a capital B. :(
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip Up to Michigan

Anyone have any idea what's up with the will call situation? Is this about to be a major fiasco with a line wrapping around the block around show time? My only option for "delivery" was will call, so I'm assuming most are in the same boat... I'll be in town early and would love to grab the tickets as early as possible. If anyone could shed light on this matter, it would be appreciated! :D

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I always get wistful when Chicago shows roll around. I saw so many great ones before I moved down south that I always wish I was there. Plus the midwest HeAthens just rock. Maybe next year we can make it happen.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:Anyone have any idea what's up with the will call situation? Is this about to be a major fiasco with a line wrapping around the block around show time? My only option for "delivery" was will call, so I'm assuming most are in the same boat... I'll be in town early and would love to grab the tickets as early as possible. If anyone could shed light on this matter, it would be appreciated! :D
I'd give them a call and ask. They were super nice when I called to find out if I could check my bags the second night (I was headed straight to the airport).
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I am in for both shows. Excited to see them at Thalia Hall again.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

chitowntrucker

Post by chitowntrucker »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:Anyone have any idea what's up with the will call situation? Is this about to be a major fiasco with a line wrapping around the block around show time? My only option for "delivery" was will call, so I'm assuming most are in the same boat... I'll be in town early and would love to grab the tickets as early as possible. If anyone could shed light on this matter, it would be appreciated! :D

There are no hard tickets at Thalia. They just check your name on the list. There is a bit of a rush when the doors open and closer to show time but overall it is run very efficiently. Honestly this is the best venue in town right now by a longshot.

Frisky77

Post by Frisky77 »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:IN + 5 friends for both nights! Lets rawk!!

Hate to tell you but that bar is closed. It’s something fancy now. Pilsen is changing.

I second the Simone’s nomination. Laid back place, lots of room, good beer and food.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

The Guns of Umpqua
Ramon Casiano
Puttin’ People on the Moon
Gravity’s Gone
Days of Graduation
Ronnie and Neil
3 Dimes Down
Buttholeville—>
State Trooper
72 (This Highway’s Mean)
Dead, Drunk and Naked—>
Guitar Man Upstairs
The Southern Thing
Surrender Under Protest
Darkened Flags on the Cusp of Dawn
First Air of Autumn
My Sweet Annette
Love Like This
Runaway Train
Shit Shots Count
Pauline Hawkins
Women Without Whiskey
What It Means
Filthy and Fried
The Righteous Path
Shut Up and Get on the Plane

phungi

Post by phungi »

wow, 8 songs from SRO!
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Looking at this setlist reminded me that Cooley has so many great songs that he never plays. I was thinking the other day about how many of his BTCD songs that he seems to have just totally left behind. And that's just one record.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Cole Younger wrote:Looking at this setlist reminded me that Cooley has so many great songs that he never plays. I was thinking the other day about how many of his BTCD songs that he seems to have just totally left behind. And that's just one record.
Cooley seems to have settled into a small batch of songs that he rotates from night to night. It's a shame he doesn't dive back into his catalog at least a little bit. It's hard to complain about hearing Women Without Whiskey, Zip City, Three Dimes Down, Gravity's Gone, etc., but it would be nice to hear some of his other great songs.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

brett27295 wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:Looking at this setlist reminded me that Cooley has so many great songs that he never plays. I was thinking the other day about how many of his BTCD songs that he seems to have just totally left behind. And that's just one record.
Cooley seems to have settled into a small batch of songs that he rotates from night to night. It's a shame he doesn't dive back into his catalog at least a little bit. It's hard to complain about hearing Women Without Whiskey, Zip City, Three Dimes Down, Gravity's Gone, etc., but it would be nice to hear some of his other great songs.
It'd be nice to hear Checkout TIme in Vegas sometime soon. That's a fantastic song and he almost never plays it.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

brett27295 wrote:
I know it. When was the last time he played Check Out Time In Vegas? I love that song. And I really like Lisa's Birthday and Perfect Timing.

I'll never give up on Daddy's Cup but I realize how unlikely it is. But still, there's Cotton Seed and he never plays Carl Perkins anymore. There are a bunch of them.

I know some people say that certain slower ones just don't work in the rock show setting but I don't buy that. I've seen them performed live and they were great and went over great. Patterson has always rotated songs in and out more but I see where Cooley has brought back When The Pin Hits The Shell lately so I wonder why he doesn't ever play some of these others. Think how few of his English Oceans songs he's played in years. It's kind of odd that he has left so many songs behind.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Eyes Above It

Post by Eyes Above It »

To echo what others have said about Cooley rarities, he could put a band together and do a killer solo tour of just forgotten DBT songs that he never plays.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

En fuego

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Zip City
Lookout Mountain
Surrender Under Protest
Baggage
When the Pin Hits the Shell
Do It Yourself
Kinky Hypocrite
The KKK Took My Baby Away
Sinkhole
Made Up English Oceans
The Guns of Umpqua
A Ghost to Most
Tornadoes
Women Without Whiskey
The Living Bubba
3 Dimes Down
The Company I Keep
Shit Shots Count
Southern Accents—>
Ever South
72 (This Highway’s Mean)
What It Means
Ramon Casiano
Hell No, I Ain’t Happy
Rockin’ in the Free World

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Holy crap
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Zip City wrote:Holy crap
Well said.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Eyes Above It wrote:To echo what others have said about Cooley rarities, he could put a band together and do a killer solo tour of just forgotten DBT songs that he never plays.
A Cooley version of the JGB!
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Zip City>Lookout Mountain opener

Mission.fuckin'.statement.
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Zip Up to Michigan

Two incredible rock shows. I heard mostly everything I wanted out of the weekend the first night, so last night was just gravy... Then they did when the pin hits the shell into do it yourself on night two and I was stunned again! Loved hearing Zip open, too.

Night one was basically my dream set. That run from Ramon to Southern Thing...maybe the best hour and change of ROCK I've ever heard. :mrgreen:

My MINOR and only complaint is the repeated songs from night one. Some were great to get twice (72, 3DD, Ramon) but others were just like...really? (Guns, What it means, shit shots). Just a little curious as to how we don't get a Let there be rock, marry me, or where the devil don't stay out of two rock shows but they repeat the ones mentioned above :cry: ...would have loved a heathens and sounds better in the song as well, as those have been played a lot lately...oh well!

But hey, in the end we got two kick ass shows and an unbelievable weekend with friends and all the midwest heathens!! LOVE LOVE LOVE the Thalia Hall. Gorgeous venue, great sound, and the staff are very friendly and helpful.

Can't wait for Kalamazoo in July!

Oh and thanks for the beer, Mr. B!

William Basshole

Post by William Basshole »

Absolutely 2 stellar shows IMO. Band is tight and absolutely on fire. Great venue and crowds. For myself when I try to imagine the songs that I want hear at an upcoming Rock Show it has become as difficult as picking favorite tunes for a Springsteen show. I don’t even try, always happy at the end. Saturday was like being shot out of a cannon: Zip City and Lookout Mountain and a blissful sonic assault after that and I was still amped up from Friday. Concerning the comments about Cooley: IMO The Stroker Ace can play whatever the fuck he wants too and it’s gonna be good. If you don’t like a particular DBT setlist follow the mantra that I’ve seen many times on this forum: “Always Go To The Show”. You will see what you want.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

William Basshole wrote: IMO The Stroker Ace can play whatever the fuck he wants too and it’s gonna be good.
Agreed on both points. I just wish he'd play some of his other great songs he doesn't play all the time.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Zip Up to Michigan

Did we just go through another fantastic two night run at the Thalia without a single taper present? :shock: :cry:

William Basshole

Post by William Basshole »

brett27295 wrote:
William Basshole wrote: IMO The Stroker Ace can play whatever the fuck he wants too and it’s gonna be good.
Agreed on both points. I just wish he'd play some of his other great songs he doesn't play all the time.
Absolutely. The list is indeed lengthy. I just always appreciate what I get to see at the shows I’m lucky enough to see. I’m NEVER disappointed !!!!

Zip Up to Michigan

These great rock shows were two years ago to the day. It was a chilly Chicago weekend but it was hotter than hell in the Thalia. :)