Brooklyn Bowl 3/29/18 & 3/30/18

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

glennrwordman

Re: Brooklyn Bowl 3/29/18 & 3/30/18

Post by glennrwordman »

beantownbubba wrote:They came, they played, they conquered.

I. Love. This. Band.

All else is commentary.
Pretty much. It's just remarkable how great they can be, nearly every night.
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

In an otherwise positive review (http://www.brooklynvegan.com/drive-by-t ... allery-1=1) of Night #1 in Brooklyn Vegan, there is this paragraph:

"...from the Black Lives Matter poster affixed to Mark Gonzalez’s keyboard to The Clash’s “Know Your Rights” playing over the house PA as the band joyfully bounded onto the stage. There was nothing subtle about it and DBT took no prisoners, kicking things off with Cooley singing “Righteous Path.”

I did reply:
Thank for the review, but, respectfully, there is a ton wrong with this paragraph, so please edit:
The walk on song was "Train in Vain", not "Know Your Rights" (note--I'm 98% sure it was "Train in Vain" both nights).
The multi-instrumentalist is JAY Gonzalez.
They did not "kick-off" with "The Righteous Path" (note: the set list was included in the review), and it is written and sung by Patterson Hood, not Mike Cooley. They opened with Cooley's "Zip City".

I was really trying not to be a know-it-all here, but just a "know SOMETHING".

Looking forward to seeing Mark and the Boys tonight in Philadelphia.
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Just because all else is commentary, that doesn't mean I'm not gonna comment.

Approx 24 songs per night, 17 no repeats. Seriously? Who does that? And who does that w/ no noticeable drop off in quality?

Where's my man Brett when I need him? It's time to dust off the age old question, what is that thing that separates a really good, solid DBT show from a great DBT show? "I know it when I hear it" works to a point but is ultimately unsatisfying. To these ears, the 2 bklyn shows nicely frame the issue, w/ thursday being the really good one (tho it must be said that "Levee" elevated it to special) and friday breaking through that barrier to great. The only thing I can specifically identify is that the band projected a more "take no prisoners" attitude from the first notes on Friday.

Again, lots of guitar from the twins, less from Jay. Though I'm happy to say that standing further back (some time on each side of the stage) I could hear jay's playing perfectly.

In a turnabout is fair play kind of moment it was interesting to hear "sounds better" and "heathens" separately, not following each other. Together is better, i think but each song obviously can, and did, stand on its own. Same w/ Ronnie & Neil: Fine on Thursday, something more than that when paired w/ "Days of Graduation" on Friday.

Always happy to hear the "buttholeville-state trooper" medley but my goodness, Patterson and the band absolutely shredded it, especially the state trooper portion. 'Lookout Mountain" was another one notable for its intensity. And "Baggage" remains something of an enigma to me. I was really trying to figure out how they make a ballad rock the way they do but never did figure it out. In any case, rock it they did, and the flaming guitar solo coda just burned.

Always fun to attend w/ a crew in tow, especially one including a newbie or 2. Needless to say a great time was had by all and new fans were made.

The crowd both nites but especially friday definitely trended younger and more female. For a while I thought it might even have been 50/50 on Friday. Ultimately it didn't quite get there but all signs for a growing younger and more gender balanced fan base are positive.

In the beating a dead horse dept, I just don't understand why, when faced w/ a "hard curfew," the band doesn't either start the show earlier or cut the length of the opening act's show. It's not like I felt cheated last nite, the band poured it all out there for 2 hours, but you know, if 2 hours was great, 2:20 or 2:30 would be that much greater.

Always, always go to the show. Speaking of which, many thanks and much appreciation for the many courtesies extended by that rock n roll philosopher, jonicont. Unexpected pleasures: Seeing lynne & daughter and allisonsdc & spouse making the trek from DC. Sorry I didn't see you, emandrisdad, especially since I ended up w/ extra tickets because 2 of the crew I had bought for had unbeknownst to me bought their own tickets.

Pick hits from the neighborhood: Whiskey Brooklyn (Dave the bartender makes an exceptional sazerac) and Emmys Squared, which makes great, great pizza even if I'm still skeptical that there actually is a thing called "detroit style pizza."
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Great write-up as always, but a small quibble with:
beantownbubba wrote:
Approx 24 songs per night, 17 no repeats. Seriously? Who does that? And who does that w/ no noticeable drop off in quality?
only because I can name several bands who can (and do) do this, which isn't to take anything away from DBT. Just an observation
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

Zip City wrote:Great write-up as always, but a small quibble with:
beantownbubba wrote:
only because I can name several bands who can (and do) do this, which isn't to take anything away from DBT. Just an observation
Agreed. I’ve seen several bands on THREE night stands where single songs haven’t been repeated. My morning jacket, dave Matthews band , Bruce Springsteen (besides born to run) ... impressive but not that uncommon.

Whispering Pines

Post by Whispering Pines »

On the subject of repertoire repeats, it's worth noting that Patterson repeated just one song from Thursday night, "Ronnie and Neil," and gave a different tip on Friday with the "Days of Graduation" prelude. Cooley repeated five, and while I would be loathe to delete either "Ramon Casiano" or "Surrender Under Protest," which have both become live monsters, the other tunes are heard with regularity. I guess I just despair about ever hearing (for instance) "Carl Perkins' Cadillac" again. Was glad for the outer-borough repeat of "KKK," and the guitar textures on "Used to Be a Cop" and others made me think of another great punk-era NYC band, Television. All told, two great nights-- Friday's set was a pedal-to-the-metal thrill, but Thursday was close behind, and nobody's going to forget the Zep cover. In regards to the sound, the vocals did indeed sound better from my second-night perch positioned between the house speakers, though on Thursday, it was fun to see the reflection of Uncle Ricky and Cooley Girl in E Z's mirrored drum head.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:
Zip City wrote:Great write-up as always, but a small quibble with:
beantownbubba wrote:
Agreed. I’ve seen several bands on THREE night stands where single songs haven’t been repeated. My morning jacket, dave Matthews band , Bruce Springsteen (besides born to run) ... impressive but not that uncommon.
Fair enough. Probably more a comment on my recent musically sheltered life than on DBT (or these other bands).
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard