DBT tracks week #14 - Goddam Lonely Love

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

DBT tracks week #14 - Goddam Lonely Love

Post by Clams »

I got green and I got blues....

One of the masterpieces Jason brought to DBT.

I got green and I got blues
and everyday there's a little less difference between the two.
So I belly-up and disappear.
Well I ain't really drowning 'cause I see the beach from here.

I could take a Greyhound home but when I got there it'd be gone
along with everything a home is made up of.
So I'll take two of what you're having and I'll take all of what you got
to kill this goddamn lonely, goddamn lonely love.

Sister, listen to what your daddy says.
Don't be ashamed of things that hide behind your dress.
Belly-up and arch your back.
Well I ain't really falling asleep; I'm fading to black.

You could come to me by plane, but that wouldn't be the same
as that old motel room in Texarkana was.
So I'll take two of what you're having and I'll take all of what you got

Stop me if you've heard this one before:
A man walks into a bar and leaves before his ashes hit the floor.
Stop me if I ever get that far.
The sun's a desperate star that burns like every single one before.

And I could find another dream,
one that keeps me warm and clean
but I ain't dreamin' anymore, I'm waking up.
So I'll take two of what you're having and I'll take everything you got
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

littlemamma

Re: DBT tracks week #14 - Goddam Lonely Love

Post by littlemamma »

He had to have lived this...
there's no making up the passion and despair in this perfect perfect song.
NSFW

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

And I could find another dream,
one that keeps me warm and clean
but I ain't dreamin' anymore, I'm waking up.
So I'll take two of what you're having and I'll take everything you got

love the ending, too..this song is perfect...
loneliness and dispair tie us all together...and we are made better for it...but F-ck...it hurts
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

This may be my fave Jason DBT song.

Well I ain't really drowning 'cause I see the beach from here.
Having a broken heart wears you out.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

love love love this song
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

It is most obviously about ShonnaT.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

Belly-up and arch your back
Well I ain't really falling asleep, I'm fading to black.

So many great lines in this song. I don't like the term "God damn" so I'm always a little distracted when it comes to the chorus. I'll sing every word except that one.

Love the despair and passion in the words though.
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

never going back wrote:
So many great lines in this song. I don't like the term "God damn" so I'm always a little distracted when it comes to the chorus. I'll sing every word except that one.

My friend's wife hates this song for that same reason so of course we always made a point of calling her during the Rock Show and Jason Isbell shows and drunkenly singing along with the chorus when Goddamn Lonely Love was played. Now that I think about it I am kind of shocked they are still married. :lol:

edit: Without a doubt my favorite jason song; except for maybe Dress Blues.
Last edited by Gator McKlusky on Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Clams

Post by Clams »

Interesting that this thread seems to be generating more replies from female board members than male.

AprilTwister

Post by AprilTwister »

oh my.. what a song! I believe I did read somewhere that he penned it for Shonna.

I absolutely love the version on the Live at the Twist and Shout cd.. to me, it just sounds so much more personal and deep.
When the singer starts yodellin', you know you're in for a wild night

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

Clams wrote:Interesting that this thread seems to be generating more replies from female board members than male.

:roll: :lol:
NSFW

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

littlemamma wrote:
Clams wrote:Interesting that this thread seems to be generating more replies from female board members than male.

Thats just "Les Boys" Clams pointing out the fem side of things. :lol:

Clams

Post by Clams »

Gator McKlusky wrote:
littlemamma wrote:

Thats just "Les Boys" Clams pointing out the fem side of things. :lol:

Careful, or I'll sign you up for another Artist of the Week...

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

How about Erasure?

OtisTheBulldog

Post by OtisTheBulldog »

One of my favorites and IMO, Isbell's Masterpiece. It's just a perfectly written song, as already mentioned. I love the "I could come to you by plane, but it wouldn't be the same..."

I'm guessing a good time was had in that old motel room in Texarkana. But when it's gone, it's gone. And if you loved & lost, you know exactly what that feeling is and the feeling of not every truly getting it back. Only somebody's who's lived it could write it.

I also want to point out what I believe is a very underrated strength in Patterson Hood - singing backup. Dig when Patterson comes in for the final reprise. It is dead on and absolutely perfect.

burtreyn0lds

Post by burtreyn0lds »

Funny you say that, my brother's girlfriend loves the song. Likes it so much she went out and bought Dirty South on vinyl, I'm still not sure if she has listened to the rest of the album!

But I'm not going to lie it's always been one of my favorites Isbell songs

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Great song. It was the my first "favorite" on TDS and I learned it on guitar in about a day. The lyrics are remarkable. Still it's second to Danko/Manuel for me on TDS at this point. No shame in that though.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

song is more about bro's alcoholism than about his lady friend.

just this man's opinion.

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

I like singin and playin this one when I'm drunk

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

One of the top five best songs ever written by anyone, IMO. I'll write more about it later.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Such a stunning, and powerful song. I've sure lived it in my days.

I believe on the Cooley's House bootleg, he says "this is a love song for my bass player", so I really think it's about Shonna (just like I think You Got Another is about Jason).

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Great song, but not in my top Isbell songs. But as TC said, no shame in that....the man has written some amazing songs
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

dime in the gutter wrote:song is more about bro's alcoholism than about his lady friend.

just this man's opinion.

Never thought of it that way.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

This song always puts a wave of goosebumps upon the body. One of my favs of all time. Pills, booze, women. Hurts, yet uplifting for me. 4 stars

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

This is one of my favoritie Jason songs...it
give`s me chill`s every time I hear it...its so deep
and full of meaning....just love it!

Here is a video from 2006 when Jason was still
with DBT..

Here he is with Browan Lollar.
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

My favorite Jason song - favorite song off TDS - top 3 fav DBT songs ever
He nails that feeling perfectly - I love his commentary on it

Jason Isbell: I tried real hard to come up with a different way of saying this, but it just seemed to fit.
Loneliness can be drowned if you hold it under long enough, but it takes a lot of other things with it.

ain't that the truth...
powerful song that I can relate to perfectly - brings back some (not so great) memories
I love the studio version better than any live one though... it's fuckin perfect

for all the sadness/depression/rock bottomness of it... it's uplifting
Sometimes you just gotta throw yourself into your pain/grief completely to come out on the other side

this makes me think of a journal entry I wrote a few years back:
(wow six years ago seems like a lifetime)
[Aug. 30th, 2004|03:17 am]
[ feelin | crushed ]
[ listenin to | Danko/Manuel - DBT ]

It's 3:17 A.M.and I can't sleep. To say it's been a rough weekend would be selling it short... it's been no doubt one of the hardest weekends of recent memory. It's been so long since I've had something hit me as hard as the events of the past weekend have, that I forgot how bad I deal with stuff like this. I get to feeling as low as a person can go (no doubt a casualty of being bipolar) and I'll go to any length to overcome it... and like Jason Isbell explains the meaning behind "Goddamn Lonely Love" on drivebytruckers.com, "Loneliness can be drowned if you hold it under long enough, but it takes a lot of other things with it", and that's how I've always been about everything bad that's happened to me. It's a curse and noone's fault but mine, and it fucking sucks, right or wrong, but it's how I deal. Anything that can temporarily make me feel better about myself and my situation, I'll drink or swallow that in a second. But behind all the alcohol or whatever, that only hurts me in the long run, what will eventually get me through is the music and the knowledge that everything will get better one day, and this lonesome feeling will pass and things between me and her will get back better than ever...

Last entry I touched on the fact that I went to New Orleans and saw DBT again. Earlier in the summer, when I saw them at City Stages, I was moved. That one was one the most moving nights of my life, seeing them and then Skynyrd. To understand exactly what I mean, you've got to understand that I hold the original Skynyrd as Gods, and this was as close as I'll ever get to see Ronnie Van Zant's vision live and in person, and they did him, Steve, Allen, Cassie, and Leon more than justice. It was very emotional, and if that sounds corny, well fuck you. Their music connected with me like no band had ever connected before, and I was raised on everything from "Pronounced" to "Street Survivors", and to say I waited my whole life for that moment wouldn't be completely untrue. But for some reason, after the concert, as great and overwhelming as Skynyrd was, my mind was on the Drive-By Truckers' set. Sure, it was a festival show, and they played just a little over an hour, but it hit me harder than Skynyrd did. Maybe it was because while Skynyrd had absolutely nothing to prove, they've proved everything they needed over twenty five years ago, DBT played like they had everything to prove. It was new, but it was timeless, I felt like I was back in a time when rock'n'roll was original, new, and powerful, something no other band of today has ever made me feel. I felt like I was part of something, and the fact that the atmosphere was perfect, them playing "Let There Be Rock" right at sunset with a hard breeze blowing didn't hurt things either. Not to undermine Skynyrd at all, they rocked and made me cry like no other band could, but watching DBT made me feel like I was watching the original Skynyrd in 72 moreso than Skynyrd did. It was one of the first times I felt the power of Rock (god bless Jack Black) live and in person, and definately the time I felt it the most, until...

August 21st, Tipitina's, New Orleans. me and Daniell got there early and got right against the guardrail in front of the stage. I was tired from a wild, hard-drinking day in New Orleans, and before the Moaners impressed me with their great opening set, I didn't know if I would be able to make it through the whole performance without passing out. But right after soundcheck, when I was Patterson and the crew walk out, I knew that come hell (hail) or highwater, there wasn't a goddamn thing that could keep me from screaming every word to every song at the top of my lungs through the whole show. And by God, I did. I know I was definately into the show more than anyone else in there, and that's saying something, cause the crowd was great. I was right in front of Cooley, and I almost dehydrated and killed myself giving off energy in that show, because I felt like that's what they deserved. They had given me so much more than I ever deserved, and I feel like the least I can do is show them I love their music, and I know they would know me if they saw me tomorrow just from that show. They totally blew my mind... 4 hours of just great Rock. All the way to their closing number of "Steve McQueen", they had me and that whole crowd in the palm of their hand. And like Ecampbell said, it was the greatest musical moment of my life. They make you tear up during "the Living Bubba", "Sounds Better in a Song" and "Something's Gotta Give Pretty Soon", you can smell the Jack Daniels in "Women Without Whiskey", laugh your ass off during "18 Wheels of Love", bang your head to "Lookout Mountain", "where the devil don't stay", and "Let There Be Rock", grint your teeth and get pissed off during "Puttin People On the Moon" and you can't do anything but smile during "Carl Perkin's Cadillac" and "The Day John Henry Died". Once again, after the show, walking miles and miles back to the trolley and waiting their until almost sunrise, I didn't have anything on my mind but what I had just saw, and the fact that their new album came out in 4 days, and I would given the two-hundred or so dollars in my pocket to have been listening to it at that moment,and then tuesday came around...

and the Dirty South blew me away again. Top to bottom, fourteen songs that I can't find a single flaw with. I thought Decoration Day, Alabama Ass Whuppin', and SRO could never be topped, but I may be wrong. Time will tell. This is one of those albums that I want to buy an extra 2 or 3 copies of to put up in storage in case something where to happen to it, cause I can tell 20 years from now I'll still wanna hear it and it will still be relevant. While I loved every track on both DD and SRO, they both had ones I couldn't listen to at any time, namely Rob Malone's tunes and "Careless", and I've grown to love Careless, but at first it was a skipper. But on the Dirty South, there's not a song on here I was completely captivated by on the first listen. But I did notice something small - in the studio, Jason Isbell's songs come out the best, better than they do live, and don't get me wrong, they're still great live, but they sound better on CD, and Patterson's songs sound better live, because of the feeling he puts into them. While you can definately hear the anger of "Puttin People on the Moon" on the album, it definately lacks the attitude he puts into it live... Patterson's one of those people's whose intensity just can't be captured. He's lightning, but it's not in bottle. And I feel bad even saying that, cause it sounds like I'm critizing them, and that's the last thing I want to do. This album will probably turn out to be my all time favorite album. It's as perfect as I could ask for. I'm just blessed to have seen them live, and felt what true music is and always has been about. They are no doubt the greatest band in America today, and while I may be a little biased, being from North Alabama and relating to them like I do, hell they're the only band I can relate to nowadays. Beer-drinking, rough-looking Alabamians like them and myself shouldn't be so smart. They have the balls to say things no other band or singer-songwriter today can say, and it's convincing because it's so honest. They're just great. They've already helped me through some hard times, and where the soundtrack to the greatest times of my life, and I know without a doubt they'll be a big factor on getting me through this down-time, cause they've been through the same thing only worse, ten-fold. I just want to meet them again like I did in Birmingham, and then again in New Orleans, so I can thank them for giving thousands (maybe millions) of people faith in Rock again, and for representing people like me, who don't have a voice in anything anymore, we're so removed from the rest of the country.
Keep on fucking rocking, and I'll make sure that whatever happens, I'll do a whole lot more crazy shit, and I won't be sorry for a goddamn thing.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

My favorite Jason song - favorite song off TDS - top 3 fav DBT songs ever
He nails that feeling perfectly - I love his commentary on it

Jason Isbell: I tried real hard to come up with a different way of saying this, but it just seemed to fit.
Loneliness can be drowned if you hold it under long enough, but it takes a lot of other things with it.

ain't that the truth...
powerful song that I can relate to perfectly - brings back some (not so great) memories
I love the studio version better than any live one though... it's fuckin perfect

for all the sadness/depression/rock bottomness of it... it's uplifting
Sometimes you just gotta throw yourself into your pain/grief completely to come out on the other side

this makes me think of a journal entry I wrote a few years back:
(wow six years ago seems like a lifetime)
[Aug. 30th, 2004|03:17 am]
[ feelin | crushed ]
[ listenin to | Danko/Manuel - DBT ]

It's 3:17 A.M.and I can't sleep. To say it's been a rough weekend would be selling it short... it's been no doubt one of the hardest weekends of recent memory. It's been so long since I've had something hit me as hard as the events of the past weekend have, that I forgot how bad I deal with stuff like this. I get to feeling as low as a person can go (no doubt a casualty of being bipolar) and I'll go to any length to overcome it... and like Jason Isbell explains the meaning behind "Goddamn Lonely Love" on drivebytruckers.com, "Loneliness can be drowned if you hold it under long enough, but it takes a lot of other things with it", and that's how I've always been about everything bad that's happened to me. It's a curse and noone's fault but mine, and it fucking sucks, right or wrong, but it's how I deal. Anything that can temporarily make me feel better about myself and my situation, I'll drink or swallow that in a second. But behind all the alcohol or whatever, that only hurts me in the long run, what will eventually get me through is the music and the knowledge that everything will get better one day, and this lonesome feeling will pass and things between me and her will get back better than ever...

Last entry I touched on the fact that I went to New Orleans and saw DBT again. Earlier in the summer, when I saw them at City Stages, I was moved. That one was one the most moving nights of my life, seeing them and then Skynyrd. To understand exactly what I mean, you've got to understand that I hold the original Skynyrd as Gods, and this was as close as I'll ever get to see Ronnie Van Zant's vision live and in person, and they did him, Steve, Allen, Cassie, and Leon more than justice. It was very emotional, and if that sounds corny, well fuck you. Their music connected with me like no band had ever connected before, and I was raised on everything from "Pronounced" to "Street Survivors", and to say I waited my whole life for that moment wouldn't be completely untrue. But for some reason, after the concert, as great and overwhelming as Skynyrd was, my mind was on the Drive-By Truckers' set. Sure, it was a festival show, and they played just a little over an hour, but it hit me harder than Skynyrd did. Maybe it was because while Skynyrd had absolutely nothing to prove, they've proved everything they needed over twenty five years ago, DBT played like they had everything to prove. It was new, but it was timeless, I felt like I was back in a time when rock'n'roll was original, new, and powerful, something no other band of today has ever made me feel. I felt like I was part of something, and the fact that the atmosphere was perfect, them playing "Let There Be Rock" right at sunset with a hard breeze blowing didn't hurt things either. Not to undermine Skynyrd at all, they rocked and made me cry like no other band could, but watching DBT made me feel like I was watching the original Skynyrd in 72 moreso than Skynyrd did. It was one of the first times I felt the power of Rock (god bless Jack Black) live and in person, and definately the time I felt it the most, until...

August 21st, Tipitina's, New Orleans. me and Daniell got there early and got right against the guardrail in front of the stage. I was tired from a wild, hard-drinking day in New Orleans, and before the Moaners impressed me with their great opening set, I didn't know if I would be able to make it through the whole performance without passing out. But right after soundcheck, when I was Patterson and the crew walk out, I knew that come hell (hail) or highwater, there wasn't a goddamn thing that could keep me from screaming every word to every song at the top of my lungs through the whole show. And by God, I did. I know I was definately into the show more than anyone else in there, and that's saying something, cause the crowd was great. I was right in front of Cooley, and I almost dehydrated and killed myself giving off energy in that show, because I felt like that's what they deserved. They had given me so much more than I ever deserved, and I feel like the least I can do is show them I love their music, and I know they would know me if they saw me tomorrow just from that show. They totally blew my mind... 4 hours of just great Rock. All the way to their closing number of "Steve McQueen", they had me and that whole crowd in the palm of their hand. And like Ecampbell said, it was the greatest musical moment of my life. They make you tear up during "the Living Bubba", "Sounds Better in a Song" and "Something's Gotta Give Pretty Soon", you can smell the Jack Daniels in "Women Without Whiskey", laugh your ass off during "18 Wheels of Love", bang your head to "Lookout Mountain", "where the devil don't stay", and "Let There Be Rock", grint your teeth and get pissed off during "Puttin People On the Moon" and you can't do anything but smile during "Carl Perkin's Cadillac" and "The Day John Henry Died". Once again, after the show, walking miles and miles back to the trolley and waiting their until almost sunrise, I didn't have anything on my mind but what I had just saw, and the fact that their new album came out in 4 days, and I would given the two-hundred or so dollars in my pocket to have been listening to it at that moment,and then tuesday came around...

and the Dirty South blew me away again. Top to bottom, fourteen songs that I can't find a single flaw with. I thought Decoration Day, Alabama Ass Whuppin', and SRO could never be topped, but I may be wrong. Time will tell. This is one of those albums that I want to buy an extra 2 or 3 copies of to put up in storage in case something where to happen to it, cause I can tell 20 years from now I'll still wanna hear it and it will still be relevant. While I loved every track on both DD and SRO, they both had ones I couldn't listen to at any time, namely Rob Malone's tunes and "Careless", and I've grown to love Careless, but at first it was a skipper. But on the Dirty South, there's not a song on here I was completely captivated by on the first listen. But I did notice something small - in the studio, Jason Isbell's songs come out the best, better than they do live, and don't get me wrong, they're still great live, but they sound better on CD, and Patterson's songs sound better live, because of the feeling he puts into them. While you can definately hear the anger of "Puttin People on the Moon" on the album, it definately lacks the attitude he puts into it live... Patterson's one of those people's whose intensity just can't be captured. He's lightning, but it's not in bottle. And I feel bad even saying that, cause it sounds like I'm critizing them, and that's the last thing I want to do. This album will probably turn out to be my all time favorite album. It's as perfect as I could ask for. I'm just blessed to have seen them live, and felt what true music is and always has been about. They are no doubt the greatest band in America today, and while I may be a little biased, being from North Alabama and relating to them like I do, hell they're the only band I can relate to nowadays. Beer-drinking, rough-looking Alabamians like them and myself shouldn't be so smart. They have the balls to say things no other band or singer-songwriter today can say, and it's convincing because it's so honest. They're just great. They've already helped me through some hard times, and where the soundtrack to the greatest times of my life, and I know without a doubt they'll be a big factor on getting me through this down-time, cause they've been through the same thing only worse, ten-fold. I just want to meet them again like I did in Birmingham, and then again in New Orleans, so I can thank them for giving thousands (maybe millions) of people faith in Rock again, and for representing people like me, who don't have a voice in anything anymore, we're so removed from the rest of the country.
Keep on fucking rocking, and I'll make sure that whatever happens, I'll do a whole lot more crazy shit, and I won't be sorry for a goddamn thing.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

Dime, I think like Women Without Whiskey, you're right GDLL is about loving and likker. good frickin point.

and Smitty. I <3 your post.
NSFW

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Smitty--great post. (I wished i had gotten to see them at Tipitinas.)
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Emily

Post by Emily »

Such a beautiful, painful song.

I could find another dream
One that keeps me warm and clean
But I ain't dreamin' anymore, girl, I'm waking up...

I love that.

Definitely one of my favourite Jason songs, if not one of my top DBT songs overall.
she was all provocative and everything
until she saw what I was capable of