Homecoming Thursday show travel help

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

gkow4three

Homecoming Thursday show travel help

Post by gkow4three »

Hello 3DD.
Long time fan, I live in San Diego area. I am trying to work the Thursday night "Homecoming" show into a work trip I have in February.
I am flying back to US from Europe on Thursday, the 15th. I am scoping a flight that would schedule me into Atlanta at about 4PM.
Does anyone see any unsurmountable challenge with my... getting a car and then getting over to Athens for showtime? I have some concern with being groggy, but I can manage that.
Then, on Friday, I'm looking at an Atlanta-SanDiego flight that leaves at 10:35AM... that seems doable too.
Any input on this would be appreciated--my email is:
gkow4three@yahoo.com
Overall... things have to come together for this plan to work... but I think they can... and, well, this would be bucket list kind of thing for me. Fingers crossed.
GK

P.S. I have a DBT car mix CD that stays in my car. Track #1 = "Heathens" which is an awesome track #1. Track #9 = "Sinkhole." A couple of months back, I was driving with my 10 year old daughter in the back seat. I told her to listen close to the words, particularly the last verse. Well.. she did and she kind of gasped when it played out! And now everytime in the car, "Dad, disc 3, track 9." We sing it and talk about it from all different angles. Good stuff.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Homecoming Thursday show travel help

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

gkow4three wrote:Hello 3DD.
Long time fan, I live in San Diego area. I am trying to work the Thursday night "Homecoming" show into a work trip I have in February.
I am flying back to US from Europe on Thursday, the 15th. I am scoping a flight that would schedule me into Atlanta at about 4PM.
Does anyone see any unsurmountable challenge with my... getting a car and then getting over to Athens for showtime? I have some concern with being groggy, but I can manage that.
Then, on Friday, I'm looking at an Atlanta-SanDiego flight that leaves at 10:35AM... that seems doable too.
gkow4three@yahoo.com
Overall... things have to come together for this plan to work... but I think they can... and, well, this would be bucket list kind of thing for me. Fingers crossed.
GK

P.S. I have a DBT car mix CD that stays in my car. Track #1 = "Heathens" which is an awesome track #1. Track #9 = "Sinkhole." A couple of months back, I was driving with my 10 year old daughter in the back seat. I told her to listen close to the words, particularly the last verse. Well.. she did and she kind of gasped when it played out! And now everytime in the car, "Dad, disc 3, track 9." We sing it and talk about it from all different angles. Good stuff.
If you're renting a car you'll be fine. Might take you 2-2.5 hours in that traffic to get to Athens though. Friday morning you'll probably have to leave at about 6:00 AM to head back.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
gkow4three wrote:Hello 3DD.
gkow4three@yahoo.com
GK

If you're renting a car you'll be fine. Might take you 2-2.5 hours in that traffic to get to Athens though. Friday morning you'll probably have to leave at about 6:00 AM to head back.
Depending on your energy level, your sleep cycle, whether you drink and how much, and all that jazz, you might consider driving back to Atlanta after the show and getting a room there. Athens hotels turn out to be kind of crowded this year. I usually leave Sunday morning an hour or two after the show. Sometimes I nap in a rest area on the way.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:Depending on your energy level, your sleep cycle, whether you drink and how much, and all that jazz, you might consider driving back to Atlanta after the show and getting a room there. Athens hotels turn out to be kind of crowded this year. I usually leave Sunday morning an hour or two after the show. Sometimes I nap in a rest area on the way.
Also good advice. I can't drive in the dark at all anymore so that wouldn't even occur to me.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

I would suggest reading the driving directions in the primer. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3080
Always go to the show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

You should have no problem making the show on time even allowing for typical delays in the air and on the ground. Definitely follow the "counter-intuitive" driving directions that jonicont links to.

Your big problem is your return flight. There's no way around the fact that you're gonna have a lot less sleep than you want. How that affects you is pretty individual but you should adjust your booze consumption accordingly. The facts are that Athens is a long way from ATL and your flight puts you right into rush hour(s) in order to get there on time even though the flight itself is mid morning.

It will be a pain in some ways and takes some flexibility out of your schedule, but you should also consider the shuttles between athens & ATL. Even allowing for typical delays you should be able to make the show. Not having to drive, especially in the am, may be worth the risks of less flexibility. Obviously, if you can afford it or can figure out a way to get your employer to pay for it, a personal car service would be even better.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

gkow4three

Post by gkow4three »

Thanks for all the responses, including the link to the recommendation page.
I'm trying to finalize my trip and hoping this can still fit in.
Thanks.

psychobillycadillac

Post by psychobillycadillac »

as an Atlanta native this is what I would suggest. Saying you land at 4:00PM you can plan on 45-60 minutes to grab your bags and get your rental car. Now you are in Atlanta at 5:00 on a Thursday, pretty much the 3rd layer of hell when it comes to traffic so rather than jumping right out into it find a place and have dinner (there are a fair amount of restaurants around the airport or there are also some decent places in the airport). Plan on getting onto the road around 6:30 and don't go through Atlanta but rather take 285 around the city and get on I-85 followed by 316 which will take you into Atlanta (Pro tip, download the Waze app and use it, this tends to be more up to date than the traffic reports here). This should put you into Athens around 8:30 which is enough time to get parked and into the 40 Watt.
As for the return trip, if you can manage it I'd head straight to the airport post show and find a place in the airport to grab a nap. Morning traffic here is equally bad as the evening rush hour so if you decide to stay overnight in Athens I would suggest being on the road no later than 5:00. This may seem early but clearing the TSA line at the Atlanta airport can be like running the gauntlet on a Friday morning, sometimes it may take you 15 minutes other times its' over an hour.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

psychobillycadillac wrote:As for the return trip, if you can manage it I'd head straight to the airport post show and find a place in the airport to grab a nap.
There are two good spots I've used. One is to nap in the cell phone lot. The other is to go upstairs and nap outside the offices. This works best at night and on weekends. ;-) The chapel is a good spot in most airports, but I'm not sure I've tried this one.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be