Heathens Homecoming 2018

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Jonicont
Site Admin

Re: Heathens Homecoming 2018

Post by Jonicont »

beantownbubba wrote:
Smitty wrote:When it comes down to it, ain't we all jonicont's bitches?
Point.
I'm going to need a bigger crib
Always go to the show

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

My mother in law got me Moscow mule glasses for Christmas; I'd never had one prior. I like them and bet they'd be good with tequila.

Maybe instead of "Homecoming 2019" buttons we'll each get one that reads "Dr. John's #1 Bitch"!
beantownbubba wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
LBRod wrote:Jonicont's mule.
4 oz Ginger beer (preferably Gosling's)
1.5 oz tequila*
.5 oz lime juice
ice

*=only time I hung with Jon we drank tequila, thus this. If there is a more apropos ingredient, well then fuckin' put it there :lol: :lol: :lol:

Where's my Mule, where's my Mule?!?!
And here I thought you and OBL were like this. According to her, if it's ginger beer it's gotta be Blenheim's.

From my observations, Jon is pretty eclectic in his liquor preferences. If we go down that path we might wind up w/ some crime against nature like a Long Island Ice Tea, so I think tequila will do just fine.
Smitty wrote:When it comes down to it, ain't we all jonicont's bitches?
Point.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Beaverdam wrote:My mother in law got me Moscow mule glasses for Christmas; I'd never had one prior. I like them and bet they'd be good with tequila.
We had this at Tlaloc on Wednesday! A Mexican Mule.

GrahamtheGhost

Post by GrahamtheGhost »

First off let me say just how fucking awesome it was getting to know all of y'all this week and it was great to put some faces to the many names I had heard from other fans. Second off, HOLY SHIT what a weekend. This was my second year and first going all 3 nights, and after blacking out last year I was so ashamed at myself I swore that I would live this one to the fullest and that I did. Within minutes of arriving at the 40 Watt I met up with old friends and made countless new ones, by night two those friends were best friends and by night three I felt like family. There's no way to describe how perfect Homecoming was, got the stage bottle night one, met Adam Howell at my shitty hotel after the first show, got Pattersons pick and some lyrics the second night and met Cooley and sang People Who Died from the rail (and the Tequila again) on the last night. Seriously I could have not dreamed of a better experience and I owe it all to you guys and the band. I love you wonderful motherfuckers! :D
I thought them lasers was a spider chasing me

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

GrahamtheGhost wrote:I swore that I would live this one to the fullest
Mission accomplished! Well done, sir, in impressive fashion. I hope to meet you next time.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

GrahamtheGhost

Post by GrahamtheGhost »

I hope to meet you next time.[/quote]

Likewise good sir, I have been enjoying reading your reviews of Homecoming and they are truly a work of art. It lets me relive the indescribable experience and feeling that is Heathens Homecoming, and for that I thank you.

Beaverdamsfinlaw

Post by Beaverdamsfinlaw »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
LBRod wrote:Jonicont's mule.
4 oz Ginger beer (preferably Gosling's)
1.5 oz tequila*
.5 oz lime juice
ice

*=only time I hung with Jon we drank tequila, thus this. If there is a more apropos ingredient, well then fuckin' put it there :lol: :lol: :lol:

Where's my Mule, where's my Mule?!?!
Tequila Mule
Tequila some in a glass (you be the judge)
Lime 1/8 slice twisted
More Tequila in the glass
Watch an old Francis the mule movie.
Just my reflection in my mama's tears

Beaverdamsfinlaw

Post by Beaverdamsfinlaw »

GrahamtheGhost wrote:First off let me say just how fucking awesome it was getting to know all of y'all this week and it was great to put some faces to the many names I had heard from other fans. Second off, HOLY SHIT what a weekend. This was my second year and first going all 3 nights, and after blacking out last year I was so ashamed at myself I swore that I would live this one to the fullest and that I did. Within minutes of arriving at the 40 Watt I met up with old friends and made countless new ones, by night two those friends were best friends and by night three I felt like family. There's no way to describe how perfect Homecoming was, got the stage bottle night one, met Adam Howell at my shitty hotel after the first show, got Pattersons pick and some lyrics the second night and met Cooley and sang People Who Died from the rail (and the Tequila again) on the last night. Seriously I could have not dreamed of a better experience and I owe it all to you guys and the band. I love you wonderful motherfuckers! :D
I saw it, you had the perfect Homecoming. Very happy for you.
Just my reflection in my mama's tears

GrahamtheGhost

Post by GrahamtheGhost »

I saw it, you had the perfect Homecoming. Very happy for you.[/quote]

It all started with your suggestion Beaverdamsfinlaw, can't thank you and Beaverdam enough for the company and comradery. I'll shoot you my number in a PM.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

GrahamtheGhost wrote:First off let me say just how fucking awesome it was getting to know all of y'all this week and it was great to put some faces to the many names I had heard from other fans. Second off, HOLY SHIT what a weekend. This was my second year and first going all 3 nights, and after blacking out last year I was so ashamed at myself I swore that I would live this one to the fullest and that I did. Within minutes of arriving at the 40 Watt I met up with old friends and made countless new ones, by night two those friends were best friends and by night three I felt like family. There's no way to describe how perfect Homecoming was, got the stage bottle night one, met Adam Howell at my shitty hotel after the first show, got Pattersons pick and some lyrics the second night and met Cooley and sang People Who Died from the rail (and the Tequila again) on the last night. Seriously I could have not dreamed of a better experience and I owe it all to you guys and the band. I love you wonderful motherfuckers! :D
Hell yeah, man! It was great hanging, headbanging, and harmonizing with you!

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

What an amazing weekend. We drug three new folks to HC, one who had not seen a Rock Show previously, a few who had only seen one other show. Converts all. Just one of my favorite weekends of the entire year. Great community, great band, great people. That's what matters.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Hey - do any of you RailBirds have any high quality images of the band singing Roman wearing pussy hats? I wasn't close enough to get a decent shot. I want to blow up a picture to poster size and hang it in my two daughter's room. That image encompasses pretty much all of the wisdom I need to collectively impart as a father. Job done! ;)
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

mgsooner wrote:Hi guys. Long, long time. I’m sitting here having some svedkas and listening to the live stream. Thanks to those responsible for doing it.

I’ve never been to homecoming. We’ve got two girls. One 7, one 4. I turn 40 in July. Kinda feel like my time is running out. 2019, homecoming. It has to happen. See you there.
Welcome back! Great to see you! How are you, how's your little girl? Not so little anymore I guess, and a big sister now, too :) :)

Gotdowntown

Post by Gotdowntown »

pearlbeer wrote:Hey - do any of you RailBirds have any high quality images of the band singing Roman wearing pussy hats? I wasn't close enough to get a decent shot. I want to blow up a picture to poster size and hang it in my two daughter's room. That image encompasses pretty much all of the wisdom I need to collectively impart as a father. Job done! ;)
This. And perhaps a caption for that poster, stolen from someone else, stating "This is what a feminist (band) looks like".

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Reading all these reviews there isn't a ton more that I can add, music wise.. DBT at the 40 Watt for the annual Homecoming run? That's as good as it gets for us DBT fans. I was with three other guys so we didn't make it in until nine every night, and as a result didn't see nearly enough of the 3DD crew. Saw TC and Lurleen Friday night (and ran into their buddy Les on Sunday as we were walking to the Hilton Garden). Saw Brad at the bar briefly one night, hung with Worldwide Bill for a bit Saturday and as luck would have it, hung w phungi most of the night sat as well. But all in all a ton of folks I was hoping to see that I didn't. I brought a vape pen with me and can honestly say I got at least half of the 40 Watt high Friday and Saturday. Happy I was able to contribute in some fashion at least.

We also caught Trey Anastasio wrapping up his solo acoustic tour Sunday night at the Classic Center. That was killer and such a great way to wind down the wkend. Mellow, acoustic versions of Phish classics in a sit down environment.

Hope/ plan to do it again next year!
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Once there was a time when I could write long recaps/reviews of DBT shows, and Homecoming in particular with the eloquence of my dear friend Bubba but for whatever reason I'm not quite able to do that anymore although I hope the words I do write come across as heartfelt and grateful as I mean them to be. One of the reasons I can no longer write long, beautiful tomes about Homecoming is that I think I ran out of words several years back. Instead I like to read the words of others, like Bubba of course who has been to nearly as many of these things as I have, and newcomers who write about this thing, this inexplicable thing they wandered into and describe their joy at what they found. I wandered into my first Homecoming nine years ago, several years after discovering the band and the various online resources including the Yahoo Group and the predecessor to 3DD, 9 bullets. I had wanted to go the previous year in 2008 but convinced myself it was foolish to travel to Georgia from Illinois for Rock and Roll without knowing a soul. Boy, was I wrong and after reading all about the fun being had in Athens I vowed to never miss one again and I haven't. That next year I planned on going by myself but somehow managed to convince our erstwhile poster Cotter into joining me. Within hours of arriving I had met two dozen of my now closest friends and my future wife, oh and I walked into the 40 Watt and had my mind blown. I realized right then that Homecoming was a place all by itself, sure it was in Athens Georgia but it was it's own thing with the tone set by the band and the feeling amplified by fine, fine people from the band members, to the crew and to of course the fans. You can't help but sense that within minutes and live it within hours. As the years have gone by that feeling has grown and intensified. We, as a community, have embraced the band's charity in Nuci's Space as our own and keep trying to find new and better ways to help, and I'll be damned if the generosity of HeAthens doesn't get me right in the heart, every single time. So now we have good people, great music and the element of giving back all in one event. That's a rare and beautiful thing.

I won't say much about the shows because they, and Bubba's posts, speak for themselves but suffice it to say the band rears and back and grabs a different gear at Homecoming. The band caught wind that people were calling Thursday night a Saturday night show and they took that as a challenge and topped it the next two nights. We got Adam Howell on Thursday and three hours and eight goddamn minutes on Saturday with a lot of great, sweaty, meaty and wonderful Rock & Roll in between. Sure we're biased but I'll never apologize for calling this the best damned Rock & Roll band in the land.

As far as the people what can you say? Our events just keep getting better and better, the fundraiser keeps growing and raising more money and the sense of family just grows every single year. As far as I'm concerned the whole thing starts with jonicont and the time, energy and heart and soul he puts into this community and into doing right for Nuci's Space. Many of us have a part in that after him, but he's the rock and I could not be prouder to call him my dear friend. From there y'all know the usual suspects so I'm not going to list them for fear of leaving someone out. All I can say is that you Rock, that and thank you from bottom of my heart. I found a great band fifteen years ago and they led me to a great event nine years ago, but the people and the generosity built on that and led me to a family. I love all y'all and can't wait until we meet again over burgers at Clocked, barbecue at White Tiger, Pizza at Teds, drinks at Flicker and wherever else we break bread and bend elbows before we go to the show, because if there's one thing all of us know and take to heart...ALWAYS GO TO THE SHOW.

See you in 2019.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

I seem to say it every year I come to Homecoming but this was the best one yet and one of my favorite weekends ever. Big thanks to all of the wonderful folks here on 3DD and to the greatest band around.

As someone once said to me, you come for the music. You stay and return for the peeps. So much love and fun were shared. Thanks for all the hugs, fist bumps and smiles. Looking forward to the next family reunion.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

HC 2018 was my sixth, and favorite, Homecoming for a variety of reasons. I've made so many what I consider good friends since I jumped on this board and it's impossible to put into words what being in this community means to me. It's not much of an exaggeration to quote PH and say rock and roll saved my life. Again. And the element of service that our tie-in with Nuci's Space adds transforms a fun weekend into a transcendent experience. I don't get this anywhere else in my life so I just want to say thank you.

Thursday night was the most emotional and intense Rock Show I've attended and I'm still struggling to figure out why. I've talked to several people and seen posts on here and FB from people describing how they broke down in tears during several parts of the show. And I was glad that the band felt it too--witness PH on Friday night "apologizing" for playing a Saturday night show on Thursday. At the end of the night I was stunned and speechless. On a personal note, before the show started I was thinking to myself that maybe some of the intensity with which I love this band was starting to wane a bit. Kind of like how hard it is to keep the initial passion and fire of a personal romantic relationship going after several years. But the show knocked that feeling right out of my head.

Friday night was amazing and I enjoyed wandering around catching the show from various vantage points. A word about the front of the house sound--it's incredible. The solos are bumped up in the mix and the vocals are crystal clear. It sounded great no matter where I stood. Kudos to the entire crew.

Saturday night was another off the charts experience. I spent the first 2/3 of the show over on stage left standing on one of the couches over there so I had a great view. Much to my surprise, the sound was incredible there as well. Everything, including the vocals, was spot on. Also, I got to hear more of the stage mix which is always fun. The boys were clearly enjoying themselves. Another anecdote: I've heard Kinky Hypocrite many times and I always felt that it didn't "work" as well as it should live and I felt the same way after Friday night's version. I was discussing this with TC before the show and we were talking about how KH was a studio "accident" that was recorded on the fly. We were talking about how Aftermath was a similar song with the same kind of feel that is kind of hard to recreate. Well, the Saturday version put my reservations to bed. It was rocking and crunchy and it seems like they might have come up with an ending that works. Anyway, that's just me nitpicking. I drove back to Atlanta Saturday night and didn't turn on the radio or play any music. I was reliving the weekend and marveling at how lucky we all are to get to experience this level of musicianship on a regular basis.

I love all you motherfuckers and God Save the Drive-By Truckers!!! Rock on.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Emily

Post by Emily »

I'm loving reading everyone's reviews of the weekend and I don't think I can add much to what's already been said. But I'll add my voice to the echo of how special this community is and how much I delight in meeting and befriending fellow Truckers fans at Homecoming.
pearlbeer wrote:Hey - do any of you RailBirds have any high quality images of the band singing Roman wearing pussy hats? I wasn't close enough to get a decent shot. I want to blow up a picture to poster size and hang it in my two daughter's room. That image encompasses pretty much all of the wisdom I need to collectively impart as a father. Job done! ;)
These images definitely aren't high quality, but here's what I got:

As an aside, does anyone have LAST year's group picture that they can post? I looked in the 2017 thread but it was either vanished in the Photobucket direct linking purge or never posted. I would love to see it if someone can point me in the right direction!
she was all provocative and everything
until she saw what I was capable of

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I love that we're all saying pretty similar things (and that we are in agreement about the important stuff) yet people find different ways of expressing themselves and respond to different moments or aspects of the shows and the weekend which touch them uniquely so I don't feel it gets at all old to read all of the posts.

But I realize that there's one aspect to the HC experience that has been taken for granted by every poster (I think, I haven't re-read them all) and that's the incredible efforts some people make and the incredible distances some people travel to get to HC and make their own contributions to the HC stew. I include in this group not just those who travel from foreign countries, though they may be the most obvious example, but you know, the US is a damn big country and people flock to HC from pretty much all corners. It wasn't that many years ago that the "furthest traveler" got some recognition and maybe a prize(?) at the Nuci's Auction. Now we seem to regard it all as routine.

I consider HC a personal priority so I have no problem believing that others save money expressly to be able to afford HC, hoard their vacation days to be able to take the time off and otherwise put themselves out to make the trip. But even if our experiences are somewhat similar in that regard, some people come a long fucking way and make extraordinary efforts to join us. It's astounding, really. I mean, their spouses/kids/work colleagues/friends have probably never even heard of DBT. It's not like saying "I'm going to see Springsteen on Broadway" or "I'm going to the Led Zeppelin reunion" or whatever and have everyone immediately get it and have most of them be jealous.

Of course this year we had the particularly poignant example and experience of Lorna who shlepped over from Scotland after so recently losing her mate of so many years and while I hope (and believe) that she got something necessary and worthwhile from us, I know that we got something special from her.

The flavor these folks add is truly special, in part because it validates our own nutty devotion, in part because of the mix of accents, in part because we get to experience the joys of travel like learning about different places and hearing different perspectives without having to put up w/ ICE, in part because it's really cool to have friends in parts of the world you've never actually visited (or even if you have) and in part because it's just plain fun to go to a rock show and know that not everyone is just like yourself yet we are all bound by our love of this band, this community and this weekend. So I salute everyone who traveled further than me, everyone who had to change planes to get to HC and everyone who drove over 6 hours to get to Athens (my totally arbitrary feeling about what makes flying intolerable and the totally arbitrary cut off for how long I can stand to be in a car at one time).

One day: Trucker Tomer (Israel) and Steve French (New Zealand) plus a whole bunch of Canucks and folks from the far side of the Mississippi.

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

Thanks for posting these Emily! Sorry, I don't know the location, right off, of last year's group photo but I do have a question. How long did they keep the hats on for? I know by the Gordon recording Cooley "sings" an improvised line at the end of Gravity's Gone about it. Just how long did they wear them for?
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

potatoeater wrote:Thanks for posting these Emily! Sorry, I don't know the location, right off, of last year's group photo but I do have a question. How long did they keep the hats on for? I know by the Gordon recording Cooley "sings" an improvised line at the end of Gravity's Gone about it. Just how long did they wear them for?
Patterson: 1/2 song
Jay & Matt: 1 song
Cooley: 2.5 or maybe 3 full songs I don't quite remember
EZB: NA (though he wore PH's hat for 1 song)

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

beantownbubba wrote: Patterson: 1/2 song
Very interesting. Seems about right. I noticed Brad didn't have one on and that didn't surprise me but it didn't dawn on me that he had on Patterson's hat. Even though I've never known Brad to wear a hat, maybe a ball cap here and there but definitely nothing like Patterson's hat. I just totally didn't put that together. Guess I was distracted by all the pussy. Hats.
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

beantownbubba wrote:
potatoeater wrote:Thanks for posting these Emily! Sorry, I don't know the location, right off, of last year's group photo but I do have a question. How long did they keep the hats on for? I know by the Gordon recording Cooley "sings" an improvised line at the end of Gravity's Gone about it. Just how long did they wear them for?
Patterson: 1/2 song
Yeah, Cooley took his off at the end of "Gravity's Gone." So 3 songs. Here's what I've got:

Last edited by Mundane Mayhem on Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Not much to add to what's already been said, except that I didn't get a chance to meet people from this community the way I might've liked to. My wife and I were first-timers to HC, so we were doing things during the day like checking out the GA Botanical Garden and the art museum (in addition to, like, eating food).

Unfortunately, that meant I couldn't make the hangout or the Nuci's auction. I got stuck in traffic on the way to and from 5 Points Bottle Shop on Friday afternoon and got to Max's Canada just as the banner was being taken down. Most people were chatting in small groups, so I didn't feel like I should interrupt at that point.

Met some great folks at the shows themselves, of course, but I've definitely got to do some better planning next time (and there will be a next time).

In the meantime, maybe I'll get to meet some of you fine people at Red Rocks this summer.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

phungi wrote:
bnzz wrote:Can someone tell me the amount raised for Nici’s? Thanks
Not counting the auctions, the total from DVD/Blu-Ray, T-shirts, and the two raffles at the HeAthens Hangout was a bit over $12700.
WOW
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:

One day: Trucker Tomer (Israel) and Steve French (New Zealand) plus a whole bunch of Canucks and folks from the far side of the Mississippi.
Hoping for HC 2020. I'm embarrassed I haven't made it yet.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

And let's not forget the kids in the Camp Amped band! Another highlight of HC weekend. The guitarist on stage right was shredding, and smashing that toy guitar at the end of Helter Skelter was brilliant.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

phungi

Post by phungi »

Markalanbishop wrote:And let's not forget the kids in the Camp Amped band! Another highlight of HC weekend. The guitarist on stage right was shredding, and smashing that toy guitar at the end of Helter Skelter was brilliant.
They rocked the 40-Watt like they were playing Wembley
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

My memory might be bad, but was Go-Go Boots the only album that didn’t have any songs played?
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob