Heathens Homecoming 2018

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

phungi

Re: Heathens Homecoming 2018

Post by phungi »

Jonicont wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:Finally looked closely at the HC 2018 button
'Bout time somebody noticed
Thus answering the question: "what's a Doc without a T to do?"

Just got home, so many wonderful thoughts/reflections, but first and foremost is: great seeing/meeting/hanging/enjoying/rocking/drinking/partying with so many awesome people, and a damned amazing weekend soundtrack.
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Markalanbishop wrote:Finally looked closely at the HC 2018 button. That Jonicont is one clever motherfucker--a master of marketing as well as medicine. Although from the shots he was buying Thursday night he seems to have abandoned that whole "first do no harm" bullshit.
are said buttons only available to those blessed attendees?
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:Finally looked closely at the HC 2018 button. That Jonicont is one clever motherfucker--a master of marketing as well as medicine. Although from the shots he was buying Thursday night he seems to have abandoned that whole "first do no harm" bullshit.
Pretty sure some extras are making it out to the coast
Always go to the show

whatwouldcooleydo?

Jonicont wrote:
excellent!

Gonna do everything in my power to not have to rely on the kindness of others and get one in person next year

Daddy_played_poker

Post by Daddy_played_poker »

Wow, what an awesome weekend! Great to reconnect with some good people and to meet some new good folks. The shows, community and causes put enough wind in my sails to keep me moving for months!
"to love is to feel pain there ain't no way around it."

Flea

Post by Flea »

I really missed y'all motherfuckers. Never again.
Now it's dark.

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

Jonicont wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:Finally looked closely at the HC 2018 button
'Bout time somebody noticed
Nice double reference.
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

phungi

Post by phungi »

Flea wrote:I really missed y'all motherfuckers. Never again.
Your friends from last year were in rare form again on Friday night, Cooley side... Needless to say, you were missed!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

A few random thoughts, mostly about Saturday but also about the weekend generally.

Kudos to Cooley for taking one for the team: He was the first band member to arrive at the Nuci's Auction and he arrived well before any of the others. Needless to say he was the focus of a lot of attention. Despite his obvious discomfort w/ that kind of thing he was impressively friendly and patient w/ everyone who asked for a picture or a minute of his time, and smiled for every picture. What I don't understand is how his discomfort could not have been obvious to anyone who bothered to look. Or did people notice but not care? I'm first to say that one of the great, distinguishing features of this band is what genuinely good people the band members are and how generally open, accessible and patient they are w/ the fans almost always. But they're just people folks, they don't owe us anything off the stage and I think that we all owe each other the basic common courtesies. At the time I felt like I don't know Cooley well enough to have interrupted and "rescued" him but in retrospect, I'm sorry that I didn't look for and find someone better suited to that task.

Let's talk about Mr. Patterson Hood for a second: As is obvious from his opening remarks that I quoted above, Patterson was energetic and animated from the get go on Saturday nite. What was remarkable was not even that he maintained that energy level throughout the marathon 3 hour show, but that he became more animated and energetic as the night wore on. By "People Who Died" he was practically bouncing off the ceiling. In a good way. In a charismatic way. I'm sorry I forgot to mention in my original post Patterson's performance of "Do It Yourself." I did say that it was a highlight for me, but the reason was largely PH's vocal performance. Intense and moving throughout but at the end he added some serious vocal "stylings." I'm not sure what they'd be called in technical music/singing terms; not quite scat singing, not quite "vocalizing" as I understand that term, but using sounds to convey emotion, singing on, around and behind the beat in a way that brought every emotion to the surface. I've heard that Patterson has taken (is still taking?) voice lessons and I don't think there's any question that his singing is better and more professionally exacting than ever. Plus how great is it that someone who has reached the top of his profession and mastered his art is still working hard to improve in ways large and small? I love that and I appreciate it.

My sense is that Jay played less guitar and more organ & other keys on Saturday than is typical. He had a couple of really terrific solos in addition to his always excellent support & quick fills. Unfortunately I can't remember which songs they were in, but one was very soulful and vaguely reminiscent of (influenced by?) Booker T and the other was more funky. And speaking of solos, in another song I can't remember but which was near the end of Saturday's extravaganza, Matt had the closest thing to a bass solo I've ever heard at a DBT show. It wasn't quite a solo, more like a "lead bass" moment but needless to say it was excellent and tasteful.

If the pink pussy hats were in response to some particular event, I missed it, but as a general statement of support for women's issues I thought it was a very cool, thoughtful thing to do and the crowd seemed very appreciative of the gesture.

Speaking of the crowd, I noted earlier that Thursday nite's audience was a little younger and more female than the typical DBT show. Friday was a return to the usual demographics, but it seemed to me that Saturday may have been the best attended show by women of any that I've attended. As I've said before, I'm not sure why I believe this but I do think that the band catching on more widely among women fans is important for the band's long-term continuing success (and for whatever potential they may have to break bigger).

My impression is that Wednesday initially became a more popular arrival date because of the risk of travel problems delaying arrival unacceptably late on Thursday (or, gasp!, beyond). But by now I think Wednesday is pretty much an unofficial official part of the proceedings. Particularly if you're planning a first visit to HC, try to make it work for Wednesday - not only do you get that travel protection but it's a great entree to the "look and feel" of the weekend. As for those who have already bitten the bullet and made a whole week of it, I can only admire you from afar; I don't see that as a likely option for me.

I think most of us are used to "Where the Devil Don't Stay" as a staple of the early part of a "typical" DBT set, but I thought it worked fantastically well placed late in Saturday's show. It may just have been that it was another great performance in a momentum filled string of them, or it might be another one of those "context things" where the placement of the song actually adds something to its luster.

People were talking all weekend about Adam Howell's surprise appearance and his peformance of "Late for Church." I gotta agree, it was a from out of leftfield highlight.

The Athens food scene continues to change with dramatic speed but the overall effect has been an impressive upgrade in overall quality. One can easily not repeat meals at any restaurant and have a full weekend of excellent dining at incredibly reasonable prices. Yet another reason HC is continuing to evolve in the ways that it is. My only complaint on that score is that many restaurants don't take reservations and HC is so jam packed already that (a) there's not enough time to spend an hour waiting on line to eat and (b) most of us already do plenty of standing and waiting before and at the shows so more standing and waiting is just not an appealing option. But like I say, when you do sit down, the wait is usually worth it.

I am still trying to wrap my head around the purely musical parts of the weekend. All of the shows were just terrific and the three hour wild, chaotic and beautiful finale was icing on an already rich and delicious cake. I'm not sure how many different songs were played over the three nights (tyler? smitty?) but it was a lot which makes it very impressive to think of the songs that were NOT played. Even leaving aside gems that are generally not part of the set like "Daddy's Cup" and gems that are perhaps not best suited for the live and loud HC context like "Loaded Gun" the number of first rate fan favorite songs that were not played is impressive. That's not a complaint, just an observation on the wealth of riches that is the DBT catalog. Just as examples, some that come immediately to mind are "Mercy Buckets," "Space City," "Love Like This," "Primer Coat" and "Used to be a Cop."

If you're reading this post, this paragraph probably doesn't apply to you, but just in case, if you're on the fence about going to the rock show when it comes to a town near year (or even not so near), remember, always go to the show. The band is in such a great place right now and performing at such a high level it would be a mistake and a shame to miss the opportunity to experience it.

360 days, more or less, to Homecoming 2019!!!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

This. I had a lot on my plate this time with family obligations, things to take care of, etc. so I was busy enough that I couldn't really dwell on it and be as sad as I would have been about it. But I checked in here semi regularly all weekend and sure was sorry I had to bow out at the last minute. Bubba's reviews, always appreciated, were essential this time. Thanks again, bubba.

Next year, as long as I am still around, I will be there. I will not miss another Homecoming. Y'all be safe in your travels.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

As I and some other Homecoming first timers agreed on last night, I will DEFINITELY be back next year and every year for the foreseeable future. Incredible weekend all around. Now it’s time to catch up on some sleep and hope that Athens crud stays away this week...
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Ambrysus

Post by Ambrysus »

Three shows down: couldn't be happier with the performances!
I appreciate the pro-science conversations I had over the weekend.
It has been tough lately with a moron in the White house telling 'me' what do (especially for a guy my size). :D
It ain't easy being me -- Chris Knight

patricp

Post by patricp »

This was our 1st homecoming, and although we only were able to make Friday & Saturday, we were still absolutely amazed by the entire experience. Unsure if we can make it an every year tradition, but we are definitely going to come back to Athens again and do all 3 nights.
- So guitar man you done picked the wrong damn place to stay -

phungi

Post by phungi »

beantownbubba wrote:I'm not sure how many different songs were played over the three nights (tyler? smitty?) but it was a lot which makes it very impressive to think of the songs that were NOT played. Even leaving aside gems that are generally not part of the set like "Daddy's Cup" and gems that are perhaps not best suited for the live and loud HC context like "Loaded Gun" the number of first rate fan favorite songs that were not played is impressive. That's not a complaint, just an observation on the wealth of riches that is the DBT catalog. Just as examples, some that come immediately to mind are "Mercy Buckets," "Space City," "Love Like This," "Primer Coat" and "Used to be a Cop."
Not counting Southern Accents or Sign of the Times as "separate" songs, there were 82 total songs played (26 Thurs, 25 Fri, 31 Sat).

There were 12 "single repeats": Filthy and Fried, Guns of Umpqua, Kinky Hypocrite, KKK Took My Baby Away, Lookout Mountain, Marry Me, Ramon Casiano, Ronnie & Neil, Shit Shots, Shut Up and Get Your Ass on the Plane, Sink Hole, Where the Devil Don't Stay

And there were 5 songs played all 3 nights: English Oceans, Sounds Better in a Song, Surrender Under Protest, Women Without Whiskey, Zip City

Read into this as you like, but all of the 5 songs played 3 nights were Cooley songs, and 7 of the 12 repeats were also also Cooley Songs. Patterson only "repeated" Guns of Umpqua, Lookout Mt, Ronnie & Neil, and Sink Hole.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Cole Younger wrote:
This. I had a lot on my plate this time with family obligations, things to take care of, etc. so I was busy enough that I couldn't really dwell on it and be as sad as I would have been about it. But I checked in here semi regularly all weekend and sure was sorry I had to bow out at the last minute. Bubba's reviews, always appreciated, were essential this time. Thanks again, bubba.

Next year, as long as I am still around, I will be there. I will not miss another Homecoming. Y'all be safe in your travels.
Was surely missing chatting to both of you guys this year, Flea and CY.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

woollyB

Post by woollyB »

beantownbubba wrote:Speaking of the crowd, I noted earlier that Thursday nite's audience was a little younger and more female than the typical DBT show. Friday was a return to the usual demographics, but it seemed to me that Saturday may have been the best attended show by women of any that I've attended.
I think a number of couples made the drove over from Atlanta or other parts nearby for Saturday only ... and an extra dozen or so women is definitely noticeable in a DBT crowd ;-)

Big thanks again to the tapers for getting these shows online so quickly. I'm back at work on a rainy Monday morning but in my mind and on my speakers, it's still Saturday night.

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

My God, where to start?

My first Homecoming, first time in Athens. Even a year of getting to know people from shows, via the Board and other pages, and going to shows in Westbury, New York, D.C., Jersey City, Port Chester, etc., couldn't possibly prepare me for the sheer overwhelming totality of the HeAthens Homecoming experience.

It was five days of people pulling out their wallets, food magically appearing just when needed (THANK YOU, LBRod!), of looking for familiar faces to talk and hang with only to find yourself doing the same with people who moments before were near-total strangers, of sharing "first-timer stories", experiencing a suite of conversations that connected and grew and created a web of meaning and story, that none of our stories alone could possibly tell.

As someone who strives in my professional (and personal) life to create mutually-supportive, collaborative teams, to find one here so basically free of cliques and exclusions--you really could go up and talk to anyone, and find commonality and kindness--is not the norm today. Of COURSE 3DD folks and others who have deep connections grown over years and years of being part of the community had "connections" beyond that which someone who was attending their first HC. Just as anyone would, having known people for years, and having had those relationships flourish. But there was never, ever a sense of being "lorded over". I kind of knew what I'd find with the "big" DBT group. It doesn't mean I was not thrilled to have that suspicion confirmed.

I do echo what BTB said: the band, so accessible, so generous with their time and energy, who could be forgiven for saying "Folks, I just played a 2 1/2 hour show, and I. Am. Wiped. I just need to put on my sleep mask, and get some REST!" give inordinately of themselves, and it behooves everyone involved to respect the fact that, as BTB said, they are just people, and to respect their boundaries. Nearly everyone does. In every community there will be exceptions, but I know I thought of how fragile and precious the close relationship between DBT and the community is, and how anything that potentially could negatively affect it is to be guarded against.

(And a moment to thank Jenn, Paul, and Cole, who were generous beyond measure all week, while also doing their time-consuming and challenging jobs so damn well. Seeing Cole get his auction item--the bus carving--was a highlight of the whole weekend for me).

There were far too many people who showed me kindness, humor, and camaraderie to list, but I of course have to single out Uncle Rickey and Cooley Girl, who have been my sensei from literally my first moments at a rock show. I can't underestimate how much their "stamp of approval" has meant to my being able to not start from scratch with others, who also trust their judgement and opinions. They made my HC experience so much better than I had any reasonable hope it could be. I am honored to call both of them "friend".

Then there's the music. It is just unreasonable to think that the band can keep getting better, but, there it is. Whether by working individually to better their instrument, as BTB mentioned with Patterson's voice (in fact, BOTH PH and Cooley are far, far better singers NOW than they were at any other time in the band's life), this is not the usual pattern; or as a unit, cohering, playing joyfully off each other, finding new elements in songs they've played hundreds, thousands of times, even in the little over a year I've been seeing them, they're a tighter, "free-er" band than before.

This also allows them to take chances. Time after time, they changed directions, and mood, without losing momentum, In particular, I found going from the knucklehead rawk of "Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love" into "Sounds Better in the Song" was incredible. I found my mood and connection to what was going on on stage just GO with it. That is really, really hard for a band to manage. The version of "Guns of Umpqua" on Thursday was brave, with a different rhythm, meter...and did not work. (Patterson could not quite get the lines to scan). I've seen bands, even those around for as long as the Truckers, make "mistakes" early on in a set, and the rest of the show goes to pieces. My thought as it was happening was that they could be forgiven for starting the first show of HC with a blast, but instead trusted themselves and their audience...to GO with it. I also thought, as PH and Cooley alternate songs, "Cooley is going to 'restore order'". Bam: "Where the Devil Don't Stay", and we were off to the races. "Devil", "Sink Hole", and of course my favorite all-time song by anyone, "A Ghost to Most", which always chokes me up, were the entree into the best three consecutive nights of live music I've ever heard.

I loved how the songs spoke to, and echoed and re-cast each other. "Sounds Better in the Song" and "Heathens" Thursday, as was mentioned earlier; The trifecta of "Lookout Mountain", "Gravity's Gone", and "Do It Yourself" from Saturday, and I am sure others. I can't imagine it's completely accidental, but it never seems "forced". (And sure, thematically many DBT songs do treat similar subjects), but in the best sense, the two songwriters make each other, and each other's songs, better.

And each night's endings: "Grand Canyon", with all the emotional weight I know it holds for so many; "Angels and Fuselage", which somehow connects a distant tragedy to the moment; and finally "People Who Died", which was wild, unhinged, and a perfect, somehow celebratory end to the whole thing. What other band could end three consecutive nights with songs about death, and not only send people away with three very different feelings, but not brought down by the experience? To paraphrase Gus Fring, "no band".

I can't express how lucky I feel, and how surprising it is, to fall THIS much in love with a band, at 52 years' old. By the time Saturday's 3-hour show ended, at 2:01 AM, I was both drained and fulfilled, my feet finally saying "enough!" but my mind saying "shut up, and enjoy this moment". Farewells were hard to say, leavened by the fact that it's only temporary, only till the next show. Seeing all of this with all of you, having a genuinely "shared" experience, singing along, the waves of true feeling present in the crowd, created by the music's power, and knowing that I was safe, and could just BE, will be something I take with me to my grave. Not only have I fallen in love with a band, but with the people around them as well. For anyone with whom I shared any of these moments, a drink, a meal, a laugh (there were MANY), the waiting in line, the singing along, the dancing, the being MOVED...thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

^^^^ LIke!

Excellent, my friend.

Also reminded me that I wanted to comment on yet another thing: A few years ago I wrote that it sometimes seems that Cooley & Hood get into these "gunslinging" challenges where each seems to try to top each other song by song. I guess there might be some negative implication there, but then and now I mean it totally positively: each gets off on the other's songs and it just encourages them. I felt some of that this wkend but the difference from when I first wrote about it was the extra measure of joy and delight they seem to take not just in their songs, not just in each other, but in the entire band and what it can do and in the audience reaction because if nothing else, DBT fans, heAthens, "get it."

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

beantownbubba wrote:...each gets off on the other's songs and it just encourages them...the difference from when I first wrote about it was the extra measure of joy and delight they seem to take not just in their songs, not just in each other, but in the entire band and what it can do and in the audience reaction because if nothing else, DBT fans, heAthens, "get it."
Yep. Driving each other to greater heights. In no way do I get a sense of "battle". More of setting up of building blocks, and at the end, you've got quite the structure! And, as I said, the songs do speak to each other in a way that creates something greater over the course of a show.
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Very well said a few posts above, Glenn. RedCelt and I enjoyed meeting you.

I'm back at work now with the "what the hell did I just witness?" feeling that I often have after Homecoming/Rock Shows. There were just so many great moments.
Let the outside air in

bnzz

Post by bnzz »

Can someone tell me the amount raised for Nici’s? Thanks

bnzz

Post by bnzz »

Can someone tell me the amount raised for Nici’s? Thanks

phungi

Post by phungi »

bnzz wrote:Can someone tell me the amount raised for Nici’s? Thanks
Not counting the auctions, the total from DVD/Blu-Ray, T-shirts, and the two raffles at the HeAthens Hangout was a bit over $12700.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

phungi wrote:
Not counting the auctions, the total from DVD/Blu-Ray, T-shirts, and the two raffles at the HeAthens Hangout was a bit over $12700.
We'll update with final totals in a bit; I know CG and Dave from Nuci's are tracking some last-minute donations which will up the tally some. But once they have full itemized totals for everything--the 2 t-shirt runs, the raffle at the Hangout, the DVD donation drive, the food folks, the auction itself, and additional donations made the day of the auction--we'll post it all here.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:

Just to top things off, the various fund raisers raised over $27,000 for Nuci's Space this weekend. Just incredible. I am proud to be part of this community.
Unofficial, of course.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Jonicont wrote:
I'm Jonicont's mule.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LBRod wrote:
Jonicont wrote: Pretty sure some extras are making it out to the coast
I'm Jonicont's mule.
Better than being his bitch.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

beantownbubba wrote:
LBRod wrote:
Jonicont wrote: Pretty sure some extras are making it out to the coast
I'm Jonicont's mule.
Better than being his bitch.
When it comes down to it, ain't we all jonicont's bitches?
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

whatwouldcooleydo?

LBRod wrote:Jonicont's mule.
4 oz Ginger beer (preferably Gosling's)
1.5 oz tequila*
.5 oz lime juice
ice

*=only time I hung with Jon we drank tequila, thus this. If there is a more apropos ingredient, well then fuckin' put it there :lol: :lol: :lol:

Where's my Mule, where's my Mule?!?!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LBRod wrote:Jonicont's mule.
4 oz Ginger beer (preferably Gosling's)
1.5 oz tequila*
.5 oz lime juice
ice

*=only time I hung with Jon we drank tequila, thus this. If there is a more apropos ingredient, well then fuckin' put it there :lol: :lol: :lol:

Where's my Mule, where's my Mule?!?!
And here I thought you and OBL were like this. According to her, if it's ginger beer it's gotta be Blenheim's.

From my observations, Jon is pretty eclectic in his liquor preferences. If we go down that path we might wind up w/ some crime against nature like a Long Island Ice Tea, so I think tequila will do just fine.
Smitty wrote:When it comes down to it, ain't we all jonicont's bitches?
Point.