Heathens Homecoming 2018

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Heathens Homecoming 2018

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Image
So good.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

No more yanky my wanky- the Donger need food!
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

phungi

Post by phungi »

Gotta keep the spirit alive:

We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Are we to expect an Eagle every day through day 11? Or 10 if they win? :lol:

phungi

Post by phungi »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Are we to expect an Eagle every day through day 11? Or 10 if they win? :lol:
You can expect a final Eagles-related countdown photo on Monday 2/5...

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

phungi

Post by phungi »

Here's one for the Pat's fans, an image we can all agree is a beautiful omen...

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Just getting over a case of the Athens Crud so my immune system should still be on high alert and ready to rock in two weeks.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Markalanbishop wrote:Just getting over a case of the Athens Crud so my immune system should still be on high alert and ready to rock in two weeks.
Thinking the same thing about the "airplanes are worse than kindergarten" cold I'm now dealing with.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:Just getting over a case of the Athens Crud so my immune system should still be on high alert and ready to rock in two weeks.
Thinking the same thing about the "airplanes are worse than kindergarten" cold I'm now dealing with.
My entire family is sick. But, I think I'm on the verge on inventing a Elderberry based cocktail that could go viral.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

It's good to know that everyone will be bringing their hometown germs to Athens so that we can mix it all up into a super-crud again this year.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

brett27295 wrote:It's good to know that everyone will be bringing their hometown germs to Athens so that we can mix it all up into a super-crud again this year.
Hey, what are families for if not to bug you? Literally. Speaking of which, unfortunate use of the term "viral" there, pearlbeer. :lol:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I'm sort of liking Schlanky's biohazard suit, although if it became the fashion du jour Kenny Two Times might have a hard time stripping down to his skivvies.

ledward2

Post by ledward2 »

First HC for me.

What are the demographics like for attendees? Is there such thing as "typical"? Age, gender, geographic location, etc. And is it safe to assume that most in attendance will know every song performed? Will there be any obnoxious drunk quasi or even pseudo fans screaming for them to play (fill in the blank) because that's the only other song they know, and the band already performed the other?

Perhaps I need to start a new thread for this question?
"Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time."

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

ledward2 wrote:First HC for me.

What are the demographics like for attendees? Is there such thing as "typical"? Age, gender, geographic location, etc. And is it safe to assume that most in attendance will know every song performed? Will there be any obnoxious drunk quasi or even pseudo fans screaming for them to play (fill in the blank) because that's the only other song they know, and the band already performed the other?

If you had the time you could get a good feel from the threads about past homecomings but nobody's got that kind of time. Here's the short version: The crowd skews male and over 40 (some nites it seems like over 50) but at least the gender part is getting better (more women, still not half). The largest portion of the crowd is from the southeast and the largest portion of that contingent is from GA but the numbers from elsewhere continue to grow and there are guaranteed to be some europeans (RIP John Robertson), west coasters, midwesterners and folks from up and down the east coast.

There are always some frat boy types, presumably from UGA but they're a minority and when they get out of hand, which happens occasionally, either the crowd, patterson or cooley takes care of it before anything can really happen. In that mysterious way in which groups of people just know something it seems to be well understood that shouting out requests is not cool. There are always a few, but very, very few. The funny part is when they only know 2 songs but request one that's already been played (has happened more than once). Drunkenness is unpredictable (I mean it's predictable that most will be drunk, it's the effects that are unpredictable) but it's mostly a happy enthused drunk. There's no way to guarantee that there won't be the occasional asshole but in my experience never enough to ruin the evening or anything close to that.

There was one night a few years ago where I felt a portion of the crowd was getting too aggressive in hassling women. I mentioned it in a post here. The next night Patterson said something from the stage and as far as I know it's never been an issue again (I'm sure incidents are not down to zero but they are definitely far fewer than that particular nite). One of the great things about homecoming is that people have your back. The overwhelming majority of the crowd is there for the music and comraderie and are ill-disposed towards those who try to harsh the collective mellow.

Did I say short version?

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote:

Did I say short version?
Short version:
My first Homecoming was last year, and I met a large number of truly fine human beings. Not just in the 40 Watt, but in and around Athens as well. I like to view the standard DBT fan crowd as a very narrow Venn Diagram generally combining "Educated Liberals + Have an active Hunting/Fishing License". Expect to see a lot of good people, covered in a lot of facial hair.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

pearlbeer wrote:Short version:
My first Homecoming was last year, and I met a large number of truly fine human beings. Not just in the 40 Watt, but in and around Athens as well. I like to view the standard DBT fan crowd as a very narrow Venn Diagram generally combining "Educated Liberals + Have an active Hunting/Fishing License". Expect to see a lot of good people, covered in a lot of facial hair.
Show off.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

This will be our 7th so I think I can answer a few of these, at least from my perspective:

1. Demographics: Not much difference from a typical DBT show in your town. Generally older and male with a mix of females. The difference between Homecoming and a regular DBT show is the percentage of diehard fans is much higher. I'd guess as much of 75% of the crowd would fall into the diehard category and they'll be coming from all over the world. I'm friends with a couple who come every year from England. The midwest, west coast, and the northeast will be well represented. The majority will be from the southeast (even transplanted yankees like myself lol).

2. Drunks/Pseudo fans: There will be many drunk & stoned fans (not that there's anything wrong with it) but the crowd is generally very well-behaved, with the exception of a few. There's usually an incident or two every year over the 3 nights, but nothing major. I have noticed a change in the number of fratboy assholes the past number of years. The sellouts have come earlier and earlier and the number of dipshits has gone down. But then again I never thought there were any more than a typical show anyhow. Of the 3 nights, Thursday will be the most laid back and less crowded. I think sometimes the 40 Watt has a few stages of a "sell out"...a regular sell out, a packed sell out, and Saturday night which is usually sold the fuck out. The good thing about Homecoming for many of us is that we all personally know and are friends with dozens of other attendees. Even if you don't know anyone when you show up I can almost guarantee you'll make friends over the weekend. The DBT fanbase is very welcoming in general, and even moreso during Homecoming.

3. Homecoming is a fun, fun time. Athens is an AWESOME city. The shows might not end up being the best you've ever seen, but it's almost a guarantee that they'll be special.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Each night has a different tenor, IMHO. Thursday night feels kind of loose. Even though they will all be sellouts at least early on there will be room to move around on Thursday. Since some folks don't get into town until Thursday there will be a lot of visiting early from folks who haven't seen each other in awhile. I believe that the traveling portion of the crowd is around 250 people with maybe 150-175 of them being from either here or the FB groups. After Thursday night it will be elbows to assholes all the way to the back of the room. Friday night tends to be the night where everyone kicks out the jams, so to speak. Camp Amped will play and that's always a highlight for the traveling crowd, oh and there will be proud parents there as well. After those kids play there are a lot of smiles to go around. Unless you're an asshole, but there aren't many of those. It's the only night with three acts so casual fans sometimes get a little bored before DBT's set but I hope not this year. David Barbe is the shit. Saturday night is the night where you wish it wouldn't end and your feet hurt and depending on your predilections you may have a spot of alcohol poisoning, but you've got another show to do. Lots of hugging going on and more smiles. At the end of the night is a HeAthens photo so don't miss it.

Really though, describing Homecoming is nearly impossible. You take out what you bring in. Bubba gave you the basics on the crowd, pearlbeer gave you the skinny on the HeAthen demographic, and I've given you kind of a brief synopsis of how things go night to night but here are some general tips. Doors are at 8:00 but if you want the rail you'll need to be in line by 5 ish or whenever Tyler decides the line starts. I would say that as long as you're in line by 7:30 you can find a good spot not far behind. If you get there after that you're hanging by one of the bars or further back but there are benefits to both. In recent years we either don't do the rail at all or just do one night and I like to wander. The sound in back has to be heard at least once during the weekend. The 40 Watt isn't a spectacular music room but it's not bad and it sounds pretty sweet back there. There are no rules at HC, shit you can strip down to your skivvies if you want even if cell phone photos are a bitch, but most of all do what feels right. Meet people, mingle, talk to Bubba about how much you love the Rolling Stones Black & Blue and make sure to ask jonicont if you can still get a DVD ;). Come to the hangout at Max Canada's (checkout the hangout post for the raffle prizes!!) and also spend some time at Flicker. You'll have a bunch more friends by Saturday than you did on Thursday. Oh and don't needle Cooley, he pokes back.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote:
pearlbeer wrote:Short version:
Show off.
If I really wanted to show off, here is the truly Short Version:

Always go the the show.

bnzz

Post by bnzz »

This will be my ninth or tenth, can't remember. Each year is becomes a little less about the music. Don't get me wrong I am a die hard fan with somewhere around 50 shows in and more Trucker tshirts/posters and Wes Freed artwork than anyone really should have(according to my wife), but the people you meet and become friends with is what makes THIS weekend so special to me. There will be times during the show when the music will make me as happy as I have been all year, but there will also be times throughout the weekend when you run into friends you hardly ever see but for one weekend a year and you have these conversations that are just as meaningful and makes me just as happy. Might be a conversation about somebodies kid that graduated, or maybe a killer show they have seen, might be a funny story out in the smoking section outside(I don't smoke, but it is so fun to get together out there, you will see), or it might just be a good conversation with someone from your home state. This weekend is just different than going to a show. I can't wait to see the Wolf, Gaetzi, Bill,, Bill, Dick, Jonicont, LBrod, Lucas and Sarah, Dean, Willie, Beths, Jeff, I can't name em all..... Hell the whole right hand side(as you look at it) of the stage LOL, Just as much I can't wait to see Patterson, Cooley, EZB, Jay, MAtt, and Cole. It's the hangovers and the cures, the knowing looks when the band is getting it, the Handshakes and Hugs, the sights and sounds of the 40 Watt, the waking up and realizing you have to do this 2 more times, walking out of the 40 Watt in the early morning hours and the cold hitting you in the face, the debriefing about the prior nights show, the song you wanted to hear, but never really expected to. Get out, see Athens, come to the events. Don't be afraid to talk with people...most of us haven't bit anyone in a long time. It is just a special weekend.

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

see you there bnzz

phungi

Post by phungi »

We got this...

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

Not sure if this is the appropriate place for it, but I'm flying down on 2/13, Newark-Atlanta, 12:05-2:42 PM, and would love to connect with any 3DD folks arriving around the same time to coordinate a journey to Athens. Let me know if anyone else is arriving close to that time, in that place...
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

glennrwordman wrote:Not sure if this is the appropriate place for it, but I'm flying down on 2/13, Newark-Atlanta, 12:05-2:42 PM, and would love to connect with any 3DD folks arriving around the same time to coordinate a journey to Athens. Let me know if anyone else is arriving close to that time, in that place...
I believe my trusty assistant Guillaume is arriving Tuesday as well. Not sure the timing works but I'll ping him and let him know in case it does...

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Wolf wrote:see you there bnzz
X2
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

phungi

Post by phungi »

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Hey woollyB, I moved your ticket post to the tickets thread. I didn't want you to think it was deleted.