Patterson at City Winery NYC

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Agerst1574

Patterson at City Winery NYC

Post by Agerst1574 »

Anyone going tomorrow night? On the fence about going as Patterson is opening up and don't know if I want to spend the money to see a 45 minute set.

John A Arkansawyer

Re: Patterson at City Winery NYC

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Agerst1574 wrote:Anyone going tomorrow night? On the fence about going as Patterson is opening up and don't know if I want to spend the money to see a 45 minute set.
If it makes a difference to you, the main act is one of the very best live performers I've ever seen.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Agerst1574 wrote:Anyone going tomorrow night? On the fence about going as Patterson is opening up and don't know if I want to spend the money to see a 45 minute set.
If it makes a difference to you, the main act is one of the very best live performers I've ever seen.
Did you go? I'm really curious about this one.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Agerst1574

Post by Agerst1574 »

I did go. Bought a half priced ticket off of Goldstar and then upgraded my seat when I arrived at the venue. Ended up right up against the stage. Patterson sounded hoarse and mentioned how the night before he was in Georgia and then was driven to Jacksonville to fly to NYC for the gig. He ended up writing a song about this and performed it last night. The song is called Sea Island Lonely and I know this because I asked for and was given the lyrics to the song after the set. Too bad it was not handwritten as I would have framed it.

He did 7-8 songs which included Heathens, the new song about Charlottesville, The Opening Act and a great version of What It Means with the entire story behind writing it.

John Hammond was a revelation. The last time I saw him live was close to 40 years ago. Still a fantastic guitar player and interpreter of songs. He really is one of the last links to guys like Sonny Terry and Howling Wolf as he interacted with all of these great blues guys.

Great show.

John A Arkansawyer

I figured Patterson would be good, and I love hearing you got another new song! But I was especially curious about:
Agerst1574 wrote:John Hammond was a revelation. The last time I saw him live was close to 40 years ago. Still a fantastic guitar player and interpreter of songs. He really is one of the last links to guys like Sonny Terry and Howling Wolf as he interacted with all of these great blues guys.
I hadn't seen him in quite a while myself, but I think only Zevon tops him so far as "guy with a guitar" shows go. That was the setup, right--not a band performance?

Agerst1574

Post by Agerst1574 »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:I figured Patterson would be good, and I love hearing you got another new song! But I was especially curious about:
Agerst1574 wrote:John Hammond was a revelation. The last time I saw him live was close to 40 years ago. Still a fantastic guitar player and interpreter of songs. He really is one of the last links to guys like Sonny Terry and Howling Wolf as he interacted with all of these great blues guys.
I hadn't seen him in quite a while myself, but I think only Zevon tops him so far as "guy with a guitar" shows go. That was the setup, right--not a band performance?

Same setup. Acoustic guitar and Steel guitar both unplugged and miked up.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I was there and thought it was a very good show. John Hammond was only onstage for a little over an hour though. I thought he would play until 10:30.

Besides 2 new songs, Patterson played these songs:

Heathens
Uncle Disney
The Opening Act (with great intro)
Fourth Night Of My Drinking
Guns Of Umpqua
What It Means (set closer)
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming