Louisiana 1927

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Frog Man

Louisiana 1927

Post by Frog Man »

Somewhere I have a copy of JI playing Loiuisiana 1927 at a Truckers show. My collection is very unorganized though and it would take some digging for me to find it. Does anyone know what show that was? Did that happen more than once? Anyone have a link to it?
I want to say that I saw him play it live with them but I might have made that up in my head.

Sterling Bigmouth

Re: Louisiana 1927

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Setlist.fm says they’ve played it 9 times, if you were at any of those show

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/drive-by-t ... 6e9cf.html
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Frog Man

Post by Frog Man »

BOOM Tabernacle 11/26/05. T'was there. Another thing I remember about that show was Jason played Outfit on a keyboard. And it was the first time I ever heard Runaway Train as they (Hood/Cooley) were celebrating a milestone of sorts, 20 years I think.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I swore I heard them play it at Cat's Cradle in Carrboro, NC once but it wasn't the same show I was thinking of (10.10.03). I only caught the ass end of the show that night as I drove over from Raleigh right after R.E.M. finished playing at Walnut Creek (same night Bill Berry jumped behind the drumkit for a couple songs). I'd always wanted to see those bands on the same bill. That night was the closest I ever came. They both played ACL Fest one year but not on the same day, I ran into Jason in the crowd during R.E.M.'s set.

gepman

Post by gepman »

Frog Man wrote:BOOM Tabernacle 11/26/05. T'was there. Another thing I remember about that show was Jason played Outfit on a keyboard. And it was the first time I ever heard Runaway Train as they (Hood/Cooley) were celebrating a milestone of sorts, 20 years I think.
Maybe someone can refresh my memory...
Didn't Jason play keys on "Outfit" on the 40 Watt DVD? Or was it another song on the DVD?
Or maybe i'm just mis-remembering?

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

https://archive.org/details/dbt2005-11-26.flac16

There are about the nine shows mentioned posted here too.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

gepman wrote:
Frog Man wrote:BOOM Tabernacle 11/26/05. T'was there. Another thing I remember about that show was Jason played Outfit on a keyboard. And it was the first time I ever heard Runaway Train as they (Hood/Cooley) were celebrating a milestone of sorts, 20 years I think.
Didn't Jason play keys on "Outfit" on the 40 Watt DVD? Or was it another song on the DVD?
They show him playing it on keys in "Secret to a Happy Ending'
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

gepman

Post by gepman »

Smitty wrote:
gepman wrote:
They show him playing it on keys in "Secret to a Happy Ending'
Ah, thanks.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Don't believe I've ever heard of this song.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Clams wrote:Don't believe I've ever heard of this song.
:o
You need some "Good O' Boys" in your life.
(Don't play in public, at least not the first time. Could cause misunderstandings)
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Great tune. I don't recall ever seeing it played live. I had burned that Tabernacle show on CD which I wore the shit out of over the years. I never knew that it was a Randy Newman cover. That was a well placed and well picked cover song, because it felt like DBT's own.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

The Aaron Neville cover was kind of an anthem as to the recovery from Katrina. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OxcXHuAY0k is a good intro.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I swore I heard them play it at Cat's Cradle in Carrboro, NC once but it wasn't the same show I was thinking of (10.10.03).
You're right. It was 11-19-05. My first show, and it was ridiculous. Jason and Patterson split time on Louisiana 1927, but we also got Daddy's Cup (seriously drunk Cooley), Rebels, TVA, Keep on Smilin', and an 11+ minute version of The Southern Thing. Stupid-good show from start to finish, check it out: https://archive.org/details/dbt2005-11-19.flac16.4022 Listen to that Annette!!!

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

all timer record.

the original and definitive version.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

ramonz wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I swore I heard them play it at Cat's Cradle in Carrboro, NC once but it wasn't the same show I was thinking of (10.10.03).
You're right. It was 11-19-05. My first show, and it was ridiculous. Jason and Patterson split time on Louisiana 1927, but we also got Daddy's Cup (seriously drunk Cooley), Rebels, TVA, Keep on Smilin', and an 11+ minute version of The Southern Thing. Stupid-good show from start to finish, check it out: https://archive.org/details/dbt2005-11-19.flac16.4022 Listen to that Annette!!!
Thanks. I was thinking they were playing it in the wake of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita so that makes perfect sense.

Clams

Post by Clams »

dime in the gutter wrote:Image
all timer record.

the original and definitive version.
Thanks
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Not really music related but relevant to the Louisiana flood. These maps are amazing. They show the meander course of the mighty Mississippi over the years.
Link to report and maps
*click map for more detail
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Really?

Good 'Ol Boys would certainly be on my list of 'Desert Island Albums'. Pure genius, beginning to end...
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Can buy a 5-pack of his first 5 albums (on CD) on Amazon for $17: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J ... UTF8&psc=1 Already had GOB, but excited to explore the others.

Same treatment for Zevon's first 5 - serious deal!

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

bovine knievel wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:59 pm
Not really music related but relevant to the Louisiana flood. These maps are amazing. They show the meander course of the mighty Mississippi over the years.
Link to report and maps
*click map for more detail
very cool. excellent post.

gkow4three

Post by gkow4three »

Good old boys and that run of his records (12 songs, sail away)... excellent.
I used to have a tape with those 3 albums on it and I would listen to it driving north out of Chicago toward the home country... like great DBT songs, his songs have a lot of thoughts and ideas in them that I find great for driving songs.
I'll say, too, just a few weeks ago... relating to current times, I was thinking about Good old boys and I played it few times. It is thought provoking.