Hartford CT - July 26th

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Gang Green

Hartford CT - July 26th

Post by Gang Green »

Thinking about going to this one. Venue a little different than we're used to. Any intel?

beantownbubba

Re: Hartford CT - July 26th

Post by beantownbubba »

Don't know anything about the venue, but I do know DBT is playing, so I'll be there.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

I've been to the venue a couple of times, and I'm not wild about it, but it's not bad, either. Your typical seated theater with a balcony and a very tall stage. I can't imagine they'd allow an impromptu standing GA area in front of the stage as has happened at other DBT theater shows, just because a) there's not much space up there; and b) the stage is so tall I'm not sure you'd want to be right up against it. I remember thinking the sound is good there, but it's not my ideal choice to see our guys. Plus, er, there isn't a heck of a lot to do in Hartford if you're considering pre- or post-game options.

Having said that [/Larry David voice], I'll be there with bells on. If anybody wants to get together before or after, or needs a place to stay, let me know!

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

It's the company you keep that tips the balance to the up side! - Fiona and I will see you there!
8-)
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

blessedcurse wrote:It's the company you keep that tips the balance to the up side! - Fiona and I will see you there!
8-)
Well all right! That's fantastic news! Can't wait to see you guys.

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

We are also doing Portland the next night.

It will good for the soul to see you guys!!
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

blessedcurse wrote:We are also doing Portland the next night.

A-L-S-U-M!!!!

See you both nites. I'll be staying in Hartford that nite so if you have similar plans perhaps a postgame meet-up will be possible.

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

beantownbubba wrote:
blessedcurse wrote:We are also doing Portland the next night.

A-L-S-U-M!!!!

See you both nites. I'll be staying in Hartford that nite so if you have similar plans perhaps a postgame meet-up will be possible.

Most awesome! We are staying in Hartford that night as well! Give me a chance to buy you a post game single malt!

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I'm in for Hartford.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Hey guys and gals,

This is Joe Ploof, owner at the Hanging Hills Brewing Co in Hartford, CT. The Truckers are bringing the rock show to Infinity Hall in Hartford on 7/26 and not only are we opening up on a Wednesday, but we're also taking $2 off of every pint in the brewery. We're changing our current lineup of beer names to be respective of Trucker songs or Trucker references and playing the canon. Party starts at 5 and ends at 6:30.

Find us on Facebook @hanginghillsbrewing, on twitter @hhillsbeer, on Instagram @hanginghillsbrewing or go to our website http://www.hanginghillsbrewery.com. Party's open to anyone (not just ticket holders) but I hope to see many of you at the Rock Show, too.

Cheers,

Joe

PS, I've been meaning to sign up for a long time so I hope y'all can forgive that my first post is a solicitation to come drink at my establishment. Really I just want to hang out and drink beers with a bunch of fans such as myself.
Sunny Side Up

I think this goes here. ;)
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

LBRod wrote:Hey guys and gals,

This is Joe Ploof, owner at the Hanging Hills Brewing Co in Hartford, CT. The Truckers are bringing the rock show to Infinity Hall in Hartford on 7/26 and not only are we opening up on a Wednesday, but we're also taking $2 off of every pint in the brewery. We're changing our current lineup of beer names to be respective of Trucker songs or Trucker references and playing the canon. Party starts at 5 and ends at 6:30.

Find us on Facebook @hanginghillsbrewing, on twitter @hhillsbeer, on Instagram @hanginghillsbrewing or go to our website http://www.hanginghillsbrewery.com. Party's open to anyone (not just ticket holders) but I hope to see many of you at the Rock Show, too.

Cheers,

Joe

PS, I've been meaning to sign up for a long time so I hope y'all can forgive that my first post is a solicitation to come drink at my establishment. Really I just want to hang out and drink beers with a bunch of fans such as myself.
Sunny Side Up

Thanks for posting this here LBRod. I met Joe at one of the Brooklyn shows last year and enjoyed talking DBT and beer with him. I haven't made it to his brewery yet but will remedy that on July 26.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

notarydpo72

Post by notarydpo72 »

Thanks for the info, LBRod. Looks like a great pre-show destination.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Bill in CT wrote:
LBRod wrote:Hey guys and gals,

Cheers,

Joe

Sunny Side Up

Thanks for posting this here LBRod. I met Joe at one of the Brooklyn shows last year and enjoyed talking DBT and beer with him. I haven't made it to his brewery yet but will remedy that on July 26.
Joe may not be so happy when Bill shows up. Hey Joe, start brewing more NOW!
Now it's dark.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Looking forward to seeing a show in my home state! Woo hoo!

A friend of mine has an extra for Hartford that she is willing to give away for free. It is in a handicapped accessible section. If anyone is in need, please send me a pm and I'll get you in touch with her.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Rock show tonite!!!

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

CooleyGirl wrote:Looking forward to seeing a show in my home state! Woo hoo!

A friend of mine has an extra for Hartford that she is willing to give away for free. It is in a handicapped accessible section. If anyone is in need, please send me a pm and I'll get you in touch with her.
I grabbed it! And now my friend Kyle can go!

Dose Amigo

Post by Dose Amigo »

See you all at the rock show.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

The Guns of Umpqua
Ramon Casiano
Baggage
Gravity's Gone
Plastic Flowers on the Highway
Filthy and Fried
Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife
First Air of Autumn
My Sweet Annette
Marry Me
Ronnie and Neil
Surrender Under Protest
Sinkhole
Women Without Whiskey
The Living Bubba
Made Up English Oceans
Ever South
3 Dimes Down
The Company I Keep
Kinky Hypocrite
The KKK Took My Baby Away
Lookout Mountain
Zip City
What It Means
Once They Banned Imagine
A World of Hurt

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The only good thing that can be said about not seeing a DBT show for several months is that the space gives you a chance to fall in love with them all over again when you do get to see them. The band is at the top of its game and it just doesn't get any better than that. So many great moments during the non-stop 2 hr & 15 minute show it's hard to know where to start, so might as well start at the beginning: Thanks to Joe of Hanging Hills Brewery for throwing a really nice DBT themed pre game party. It got the evening off to a good and tasty start.

As is typical, the new songs evolve as the band gets more familiar with them and by now the American Band songs sound fully "broken in" and fleshed out and are just plain better than they were a year ago. "Kinky Hypocrite" may have been the most different, w/ a short new intro that emphasized the Stones-y feel of the song and an extended outro that frolicked and rocked and tore the place down.

The show started softly w/ a nice but unremarkable "Guns of Umpquaa". It and "Baggage" were most notable for Cooley's lead lines behind Hood's vocals - not "fills", he wasn't playing in the empty spaces, he was playing directly behind Patterson's vocals and the guitar licks nudged both songs into a tighter rock orientation. Cooley also heated up the instrumental last part of Baggage. All of the early songs were notable for how familiar the audience seemed to be w/ all the new songs. The next few songs started to raise the temperature w/ Patterson surprising not only w/ "Plastic Flowers" but w/ his tasty & fiery soloing on the song. By "My Sweet Annette" and "Marry Me' the show took off into that special DBT zone beyond the stratosphere. Patterson offered a new to me intro to "Annette" and the crowd was dead silent as they were for all the spoken commentary and softer songs, a very impressive and somewhat rare demonstration of respect for and knowledge of the band and the songs. During "Marry Me" the mostly seated crowd not only stood en masse but stormed the front of the stage, overwhelming the staff's efforts to keep the crowd seated. I'm always eager to experience spontaneous moments and this was a great one. Compare and contrast, say, the reality tv scripting of the crowd "frenzy" during the super bowl halftime show w/ the fans at the rock show being lifted to a place where they just HAD to get up and stay up.

I thought that the pairings of "Annette" & "Marry Me" and "Ronnie and Neil" & "Surrender" were brilliant on multiple levels and the performances matched the placement.

It was my first time hearing "KKK" and not only did Matt nail the vocal but the band understood what so few bands apparently do when they try to cover the Ramones: It's not about the punk and it's not about the pop, it's about the seamless melding of the 2 and it was obvious to me that the band gets it. They also seemed to be having a hell of a good time playing it.

Patterson introduced "What It Means" by saying that the song ain't political, it's personal. It took me a few seconds to get where he was going w/ that but I did get it, in part because of his impassioned vocal, and it provided new light and perspective on the song. I thought this was one of the more impressive and harder rockin' versions of the song I've heard and it was followed by an impassioned "Imagine" from Cooley which did nothing to diminish my admiration and love for that song.

I would need to consult w/ the likes of Rev Matt, Sterling bigmouth the First, clams and other veterans before i can say for sure but this version of "World of Hurt" may have matched the legendary Montclair NJ version in its majesty and definitiveness. It was a little odd to the extent that the performance was terrific but it seemed like the band didn't really intend to end w/ it but maybe had to for curfew reasons (?).

Overall it would be easier and shorter to identify the song or 2 that weren't highlights rather than trying to name all the hilites.

Patterson played more lead guitar than i remember him playing in quite some time and surprisingly, at least to me, Jay hardly touched his guitar during the first half of the show but really smoked once he got his chance. Patterson's playing on "Plastic Flowers" and (I think) Ronnie & Neil stood out.

Walking into the venue, I was a little concerned that the soundboard was off to the side and under the balcony, which sometimes makes it hard to get the sound right, but the sound was truly fantastic. Not only were the vocals crystal clear, the harmonies & backing vocals were crisp and all the instruments could be heard clearly and sharply both individually and in the overall mix. Except for the inevitable and imho unnecessary turning it up to 11 for "Zip City" the sound was pretty much perfect.

As I've said, the crowd appeared knowledgeable and was certainly enthusiastic. From my vantage point, the overall age seemed on the high end of the DBT demographic. I don't know if it was a sell out but it seemed pretty full to me.

A terrific show and a great time in all respects. And we get to do it again Thursday nite!!

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

uncle rickey wrote:The Guns of Umpqua
Ramon Casiano
Baggage
Gravity's Gone
Plastic Flowers on the Highway
Filthy and Fried
Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife
First Air of Autumn
My Sweet Annette
Marry Me
Ronnie and Neil
Surrender Under Protest
Sinkhole
Women Without Whiskey
The Living Bubba
Made Up English Oceans
Ever South
3 Dimes Down
The Company I Keep
Kinky Hypocrite
The KKK Took My Baby Away
Lookout Mountain
Zip City
What It Means
Once They Banned Imagine
A World of Hurt
I don't generally keep up on what's in rotation but Albany and Hartford both look like pretty spectacular set list. Real sorry I couldn't make it out.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Dose Amigo

Post by Dose Amigo »

Thanks for the setlist and great review guys. It was a fantastic show as always. I was a bit bummed though that I had three newbs with me and the sound in the Mez was terrible. It's always better on the floor but the vocals were rough.

Company I Keep always makes it worth the price of admission!

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

DBT came to us this time! Thrilled we didn't need to leave the state to catch a show.
Lot of love at this show, including a sweet shout out from PH. More later, but for now, My Sweet Annette was a shout along. Plastic Flowers was a surprise. I could here Company I Keep every night. Conner is doing some amazing things with the lights.

Seratones kick ass!
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Help me out, friends. I forgot to mention Cooley's serious, sustained and pretty much on-key falsetto backing Patterson on one of the mid-show songs, but I can't remember which one. Anyone?