Birmingham: Avondale Brewery 5/5

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Birmingham: Avondale Brewery 5/5

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Looking forward to this one. Who's in?
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

Re: Birmingham: Avondale Brewery 5/5

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Thinking real hard about whether I can and should make this one. There's stuff going on that argues for it very strongly on both sides. The duality of the Johnnie thing.

ETA: You think it'll be over in time to catch a 1:30 AM bus to Memphis?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

I hope I'm in. I've been counting the days and needing a Rock Show, but there is potential that I won't be able to make it. Should know for sure in a couple of days.
Let the outside air in

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

LaDonna and I will be there.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:LaDonna and I will be there.
Excellent!

John A Arkansawyer

That sure sweetens the pot.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Jenn

Post by Jenn »

I'm coming! Not sure how long I'll stay, bringing my dog for a trip home to Frogpond but stopping for the show along the way. I think it's a dog friendly venue but I'm not sure how she'll take the music. Do they have earplugs for dogs? :)
どれだけ涙を流せば
貴方を忘れられるだろう
Just tell me my life
何処まで歩いてみても
涙で明日が見えない

John A Arkansawyer

Jenn wrote:I'm coming! Not sure how long I'll stay, bringing my dog for a trip home to Frogpond but stopping for the show along the way. I think it's a dog friendly venue but I'm not sure how she'll take the music. Do they have earplugs for dogs? :)
Yes. I spent hours pulling them out of my uncle's dogs' ears back in the hills. But they're hard to get loose, and sometimes they squash too easily between your fingers. I recommend ear muffs instead. I think I've seen those. It's a city folk thing. If you get to Birmingham before the stores close, you can probably find a pair.

AtlCigs

Post by AtlCigs »

I am new to the board. My wife and i will be driving in from Atlanta for the show. Has anyone been to the venue before? It appears to be outdoors and the weather looks pretty crap for Friday night.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Looks like I am in! Venue is about half a mile from my workplace, so I'll probably head over pretty soon after work. I'll likely be incommunicado on the board tomorrow---storms last night knocked out internet at work and they couldn't get it fixed today (which made for one looooooong day) and they couldn't make promises for tomorrow.

I've not been to the venue, but a friend said it's nice. It is outdoors.

I look forward to seeing y'all and hearing Cooley's thoughts about Mo Brooks.
Let the outside air in

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

With the temperature looking like about 50 degrees at showtime this is going to be a chilly one.

AtlCigs

Post by AtlCigs »

Something came up and we can no longer make the show. I have two free tickets I can email someone. Let me know.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Ramon Casiano
Darkened Flags
Surrender Under Protest
Ronnie & Neil
Women Without Whiskey
Used To Be a Cop
Gravity's Gone
Do It Yourself
First Air of Autumn
Guns of Umpqua
One of These Days
Sinkhole
Uncle Frank
Ever South
72 (This Highway's Mean)
Heathens
Marry Me
Lookout Mountain
Devil Don't Stay
What it Means
Birthday Boy
Let There Be Rock
Kinky Hypocrite
The KKK Took My Baby Away
Hell No I Ain't Happy>Sign o' the Times>Hell No

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

There was enough rain to send folks to shelter before the show, but the rain ended and DBT was amazing and 3DD held the center of the rail. Had the pleasure of hanging out with Smitty, LaDonna, Lurleen, Tequila Cowboy, and met Jenn.

Every time I see the Rock Show, it's like discovering DBT all over again. They're always even better than you remembered.
Let the outside air in

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

LaDonna and I spent a wet, chilly, life-affirming amazing night on the altar (the rail) between schlanky, Jenn, Lurleen and TC, all of whom it was a pleasure to see It surprised me looking at the length of the setlist as it seemed to fly by; speaking of the set list, it was damn near perfect as I got three favorites that have alluded me the past few shows (One of These Days, Birthday Boy and an uber-emotional Heathens for the late, great Jyl Freed).

All in all a great night in spite of the shitty weather that conspired against us. Now I'm ready to get these wet clothes off and go to sleep.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

John A Arkansawyer

Smitty wrote:LaDonna and I spent a wet, chilly, life-affirming amazing night on the altar (the rail) between schlanky, Jenn, Lurleen and TC, all of whom it was a pleasure to see It surprised me looking at the length of the setlist as it seemed to fly by; speaking of the set list, it was damn near perfect as I got three favorites that have alluded me the past few shows (One of These Days, Birthday Boy and an uber-emotional Heathens for the late, great Jyl Freed).

All in all a great night in spite of the shitty weather that conspired against us. Now I'm ready to get these wet clothes off and go to sleep.
I wanted to be there--especially since I had Jyl Freed on my mind--but I think I might've broken my string of incredibly crappy things happening when I skip a show for church stuff. I just blew off the church stuff, too. I'm still sorry to miss the band and the people, though. I got my SPLC vinyl yesterday, though, so I did get to hear Airplane Screams and maybe you folks didn't yet. Resist Fear--Assist Love. That'll do me for now.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

schlanky wrote:Every time I see the Rock Show, it's like discovering DBT all over again. They're always even better than you remembered.
Amen brother. Every show is it's own thing at last night was no exception. So great to hang with Jenn, Smitty, LaDonna & Schlanky all of whom we just don't see enough of. The rain didn't seem to want to let up before the show but all of us were frantically checking our radar to time it's exit. We were cold and wet when the show started but by several songs in I realized I wasn't cold anymore in the slightest. Patterson's tribute to Jyl Freed was heartfelt and beautiful and his rant about the senseless tragedy of Jordan Edwards was poignant as hell. I loved the fact that people were ecstatic in the extreme when KKK started, a much different response from NOLA where many people seemed confused. Not last night though. People were bouncing and dancing and expressing their delight at DBT playing the Ramones on a cold night in Birmingham. None of us forgot for one second that it's fucking great to be alive.

OldCloverdale

Post by OldCloverdale »

I enjoyed meeting y'all. Thank you, Schlanky, for introducing us.
Last edited by OldCloverdale on Mon May 08, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Good seeing you, OldCloverdale. Glad you posted----I know your real name, but realized I'd forgotten your screen name.
Let the outside air in