Soundboard/Matrix Recordings available on Archive.org

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

brett27295

Soundboard/Matrix Recordings available on Archive.org

Post by brett27295 »

Has anyone ever gone through and cataloged the soundboard/matrix recordings available on Archive.org? I’ve started randomly going through and downloading the flac files (these are lossless files unlike MP3) for each that I find. Some of the soundboards aren’t as “exciting” as some of the best audience recordings but the matrix (a mix of a soundboard source and audience source) can be almost official in quality. From what I can tell soundboard sources were much more common up until 2006 than after. Anyhow, these are the ones I’ve found so far & feel free to add to the list:

11-5-2003 Beachland Ballroom/Cleveland, OH (SBD)
1-23-2004 Alley Katz/Richmond, VA (Matrix)
2-18-2004 Bluebird Theatre/Denver, CO (Matrix)
7-29-2004 Visulite Theater/Charlotte, NC (Matrix)
7-30-2004 Ziggys/Winston-Salem, NC (Matrix)
10-28-2004 The Wheelroom/Iowa City, IA (Matrix)
1-1-2005 Bowery Ballroom/New York, NY (SBD)
3-31-2005 The Blue Note/Columbia, MO (Matrix)
2-24-2006 Orange Peel/Asheville, NC (Matrix)
10-17-2006 The Underground/Hamilton, Ontario (Matrix)
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

gepman

Re: Soundboard/Matrix Recordings available on Archive.org

Post by gepman »

brett27295 wrote:Has anyone ever gone through and cataloged the soundboard/matrix recordings available on Archive.org? I’ve started randomly going through and downloading the flac files (these are lossless files unlike MP3) for each that I find. Some of the soundboards aren’t as “exciting” as some of the best audience recordings but the matrix (a mix of a soundboard source and audience source) can be almost official in quality. From what I can tell soundboard sources were much more common up until 2006 than after.
Agreed, Brett, most SBD's usually disappoint me. Since the SBD is usually mixed for the House Sound, the mix between the instruments is isn't usually ideal. ie. vocals too high, drums / bass too low, virtually no crowd noise... Big fan of the Matrix, usually the best of both worlds. In most cases, a quality AUD recording (with a mic placed far enough away from the idle chatterers during the songs) works good enough for my ears. I think I've downloaded and listened to 500+ shows over the years at this point... If you can find it, Alex Leary did a Matrix of a Jason show from DC on 2-4-15 that has incredible sound (was up at DIME or BTREE at the time). PM me if you're interested and can't find it.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Agreed. I am a big fan of quality audience recordings. I usually prefer them to soundboards, though soundboards for 60's/70's live shows are nice because excellent audience recordings are pretty rare. I'm interested in collecting all the DBT soundboard/matrixes because they are fairly rare and are nice for really focusing on certain aspects of a show. And some of the matrix recordings are excellent.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

So glad you posted this topic Brett. It made me go in today and give these a cursory listen.

Had heard the Alley Katz and near-legendary Visualite shows before but hadn't really heard The Blue Note one before. Wow. If you have some time check this one out. https://archive.org/details/dbt2005-03-31.mtx.flac16
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

That Asheville show was my first.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords