Rivers, Dams and Drive-By Truckers

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Rivers, Dams and Drive-By Truckers

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Re: Rivers, Dams and Drive-By Truckers

Post by beantownbubba »

This is insanely cool. My favorite "concept 45" (even if only in my mind) applied to real life in a thoughtful way and, at the very least we can be thankful that the author actually understands both songs (not necessarily a given when this sort of thing is attempted). Great find TC! I am totally out of proportion happy about this. :D :D
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

And a shout-out to Saint John Coltrane at the end. What could be better?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Wow! That was tremendous. And a worthy challenge to DBT at the end. And it only makes sense that Patterson write the 3rd dam song to complete the trilogy.

When PH moved to Portland, it made me wonder whether he'd fully appreciate the vast array of outdoor activities suddenly available to him. Yes, the South has a vast array as well, but perhaps the lack of stifling heat would bring out his inner Grizzly Adams. I recalled my time as a 14 year-old, rafting the Deschutes River with a bunch of kids from around the country, through the Warm Springs Indian Reservation. Before the trip, we were taught about Chief Joseph, the leader of the Nez Perce from the Wallowa Valley in Oregon, a stunningly-beautiful place where one of my best friends lives today. The incredible guides, who were really only a decade or so older than we were (but centuries wiser), wanted to make sure we were respectful as we paddled through as guests of the tribe. They had us read stories of Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce people, the US Government's treatment of them, and Chief Joseph's timeless speeches and letters about the experience. While I'd always loved the outdoors, and had backpacked the beaches of the Olympic Peninsula and summited Mt. Rainier the summer before, it was my exposure to the story of Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce that turned this relatively privileged punk kid into a more empathetic listener. It truly shaped the rest of my life, from my political leanings to who I choose to be friends with.

The story of Chief Joseph's experience has all the salacious elements of a great PH song: a conversion to Christianity by his father to appease the whites (we can guess how that worked out), the discovery of gold and the re-drawing of reservation boundaries by the US to steal the gold, a 1,400 mike trek to Canada that tragically ended 40 miles south the border in surrender....the list goes on and on.

So, back to the 3rd song in the Dam Trilogy. I knew parts of Oregon were sinking into Patterson's bones when I heard those odes to Nature in Guns. There's an appreciation there that cannot be faked. I'd guess there is a growing amazement at the grandeur of his new surroundings, one that surely must find its way into song. There is a county in Oregon called Hood River. Coincidence? I think not! :D And Chief Joseph's Native American name means "Thunder Rolling Down a Mountain" If that's not a damn fine name for a song, I don't know what is! So whether it's the 3rd Dam Song (how cool would that be), or a song about the incredible life and story of Chief Joseph, or simply watching the beauty of the PNW seep into his songs, Patterson has a deep well from which to choose. I'm hoping we'll be the beneficiaries of a rich harvest.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

^^^ Fantastic post!

Ramonz' response is almost better than the original article.

The way this country fucked Chief Joseph (and plenty of other natives) is one of our biggest tragedies.

(I wish the writer had cited the songs' authors but this is a minor gripe.) Good find TC.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

ramonz wrote:And a worthy challenge to DBT at the end.
They're gonna cover Giant Steps?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Here is a great documentary about our nation's Dams. I believe you should be able to stream it on Netflix. http://damnationfilm.com/

A few interesting thoughts/random facts about dams:

Progressive states in much of the Pacific Northwest, particularly Oregon, have adopted more modern policies to manage dams. Oregon (based on my understanding) has a policy that new or existing dams must not impede the natural flow of wildlife, particularly fish (Trout, Salmon, Steelhead). The power companies must find a way to help wildlife bypass the dam for natural migration or....boom goes the dynamite. While still a work in progress, there have been some really elaborate systems built involving 'fish ladders', trucks and the awesome Salmon Cannon. https://www.whooshh.com/ In addition to finding a symbiotic relationship between power and nature, it gives biologists more access to the wildlife to study and even assist the wildlife (inoculation, etc).

Another interesting random fact about dams: Most of the nation's dams were constructed some time ago, many during the CCC era. Thus, the majority of our dams are approaching 100 years of age. This presents a problem that was not necessarily anticipated or engineered to accommodate. As the water flows in, around and through the dam, it carries a small amount of silt (dirt) in solution. Over 100 or so years, the silt buildup on the backside of the dam becomes massive and can not only hinder the functionality of the dam, but the structural integrity. A lot of these dams are at risk, and the potential consequences of a breach or bust are catastrophic.

I guess my main point being: If Patterson is going to write the third installment of the Dam Trilogy, I think is should be called "Salmon Cannon". :P
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I'm glad everyone is enjoying this but I have to point out that Alquina found it originally and posted it on FB. I just stole it and posted it here. One of the most interesting pieces about (at least tangentially) our boys I've ever read.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

There was an old low-head damn just outside the town I live in that was replaced with a fish ladder. It's cool as hell. One of these days, I'm gonna ride my kayak down it when the water's high.

From this:

To this:

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

The Salmon Cannon in action:

I'm just sayin.....

Throw myself up Salmon Cannon
No more for a damn to break
Wonder who will hatch my roe there?
Will I wind up in a lake?
Love each other, Motherfuckers!