Boulder Chautauqua Auditorium 6/16 - 6/17

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Mundane Mayhem

Re: Boulder Chautauqua Auditorium 6/16 - 6/17

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

TW_2.0 wrote:
Mundane Mayhem wrote:For posterity:

Thursday ?
Good catch. You win some, you lose some.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
TW_2.0 wrote:
Mundane Mayhem wrote:For posterity:

Thursday ?
Good catch. You win some, you lose some.
Ha. Makes it even more of a collector's item I suppose.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Umpqua
One of These Days
Heathens
Surrender
Tales Facing Up
Marry Me
Sinkhole
Where The Devil Don't Stay
Ever South
First Air of Autumn
My Sweet Annette
Women Without Whiskey
Wife Beater
Filthy and Fried **Stepford Speech**
Ronnie and Neil
Kinky
Buttholeville
Sounds Better in the Song
What It Means
Imagine
Grand Canyon
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Blink twice and I'll try to help you.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Fatah Ruark wrote:Exactly what I was thinking. Better off to do a Dirt Underneath show there.
This is what ended up happening. I'm not sure the band was super happy about it. More to come after tonight's show.

John A Arkansawyer

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Fatah Ruark wrote:Exactly what I was thinking. Better off to do a Dirt Underneath show there.
This is what ended up happening. I'm not sure the band was super happy about it. More to come after tonight's show.
After "It cuts both ways, motherfuckers," I was pretty sure. By the end of Grand Canyon, I had no doubt.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

The openers, Rose Hill Drive, kicked serious ass just now, with five great songs.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Ramon
Baggage
Living Bubba
Panties
Tornadoes
Ghost to Most
Heathens
Surrender
Umpqua
One of These Days
Opening Act
Sounds Better in the Song
My Sweet Annette
Marry Me
What It Means
Imagine
Hell No
Shut Up

John A Arkansawyer

So those were two very different shows. The first one was a little tense and not the best performance I've seen, though there were some moments that shone through. The second one was very good, about as rockin' as it can get without any electric guitar going on. Okay, Jay played his a little, but not very much. I saw the first one from over on the right side, near the front, in a free seat; for the second one, I ended up making a new show buddy and sitting front row center. I paid full face value for that ticket when I saw my new show buddy holding up that "Real Front Row" sign and it was well worth the price. I lost my notes from the second night, but I remember Jay playing an exceptional solo on one of Cooley's, I think Sounds Better In The Song. It was not an obvious venue for the band, but after the second night, I'd recommend seeing them there again and wouldn't be surprised if they came back.

That first night, though, security was being really tight-assed. They apparently take that "no taping in the venue" pretty seriously. That and a variety of other small annoyances made for an interesting experience. Finally, Mister Cooley called for a vote by the audience on standing up (not in quite those words, but that's how it felt), and it was pretty near unanimous. After that, things loosened up a little. The next night, lessons appeared to have been learned and security was very laid back.

It was pretty great being there the second night with a True Concert Professional. She knew where to park, how to walk past the security with confidence, and which hotel bar to take me to for my hang time till the airport bus left. It turned out to be exactly the right place, even though I later went to the other hotel bar and eventually got rousted from their lobby while nursing a drink. No hard feelings about that. I got my phone charged.

Those two bars were a real study in contrasts. I sat at a street table outside the Boulderado bar and had a great conversation with my new buddy about music and concerts (she's headed to her 53rd or 54th Who show this month) and life in general. I felt like I really made a new friend that night, and I think it was mutual.

Then I went over to the St. Julian, which is very ritzy and was still open, and ended up at the bar next to the woman who had mistakenly grabbed my ticket out of my hand the night before. She'd been confused by the security folks, and I didn't blame her for thinking I had her ticket. She just happened to be wrong. Turned out she was in town for a wedding for folks (one of whom was from Arkansas!) and very drunk, so drunk she could not stop apologizing for the ticket thing.

It was a good trip. The first show was fun--adversity brings out the Cooleyisms--and the second was more fun and real solid. Everyone everywhere was really sweet, to me at least, and I remembered to get my kid a present.

And speaking of new friends, I'd like to thank the Mayhem Brothers for letting my store my luggage in their car the the first night. I didn't have my room reserved yet and they came through for me with temporary storage.

Come to Little Rock, all you sweet people from Colorado! Remember, you know a local.

denverdawg

Post by denverdawg »

I wouldn't want to see the guys there regularly, but I thought it was a great change of pace. I didn't get to see a Dirt Underneath show back in the day - they played it in Georgia when I was in Colorado and vice versa. So this felt a little like a second chance for a stripped down show experience. It was fun to hear the different nuances that come from having acoustic guitars. I think the end of What It Means was the highlight for me. Love how they jam on that one, especially with the organ howling. And I just love the subject matter of that song to start with.

Thanks again for the ear protection advice. The ear muffs worked really well. My little girl fell asleep about seven songs in, but was so excited to see her first rock show.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I didn't go Friday but all in all was quite pleasantly surprised on Saturday night. I had heard from friends that went Friday that the acoustic thing was a last second call because the sound check was too loud and that people were sitting for a lot of the show so I went in a bit apprehensive but everything was just fine Saturday night. As was mentioned when these shows were announced, Chautauqua is an odd venue for a loud, guitar driven rock band but it is a really cool, beautiful space. It's basically a huge, old barn that was built in the late 1800's. Ornate enough that they don't allow food or drinks inside. And I'll basically echo what Denverdawg said- It was a really cool one off, half acoustic DBT show and while I'd prefer ear ringing, electric face melting DBT this was a cool change of pace. The songs took on a bit of a different feel, like 50% of how Cooley plays his songs differently when he plays solo- One of These Days for example- Up through the first verse it was just Cooley playing and singing before the rest of the band came in. Everything seemed to have more room to breath ands had a bit slower pacing, a more mellow vibe, etc but you still had Brad playing w sticks vs brushes, Matt Patton laying down heavy bass lines so it didn't really sound like the Dirt Underneath stuff. It was a cool, unique sounding DBT. Panties in your Purse, Sounds better in the Song really worked well in this setting. And stuff like Hell No I Ain't happy was real funky with a lighter feel.

Drive by Truckers never disappoint, really glad to have seen one of these shows and feel thankful to have heard a unique, one off semi acoustic version of the band. I'll post a few pics to the Facebook group.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Mundane Mayhem wrote: Wife Beater
:shock:

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

Gaetzi wrote:The songs took on a bit of a different feel, like 50% of how Cooley plays his songs differently when he plays solo- One of These Days for example- Up through the first verse it was just Cooley playing and singing before the rest of the band came in
That sounds amazing. Thanks for the write-up!

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

While the sentiment stands, as soon as I posted that I realized it's always just Cooley singing and playing through the first verse! I guess the acoustic version sounded different enough (I didn't recognize the song until he started singing) that it caught me off guard.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Gaetzi wrote:I didn't go Friday but all in all was quite pleasantly surprised on Saturday night. I had heard from friends that went Friday that the acoustic thing was a last second call because the sound check was too loud and that people were sitting for a lot of the show so I went in a bit apprehensive but everything was just fine Saturday night. As was mentioned when these shows were announced, Chautauqua is an odd venue for a loud, guitar driven rock band but it is a really cool, beautiful space. It's basically a huge, old barn that was built in the late 1800's. Ornate enough that they don't allow food or drinks inside. And I'll basically echo what Denverdawg said- It was a really cool one off, half acoustic DBT show and while I'd prefer ear ringing, electric face melting DBT this was a cool change of pace. The songs took on a bit of a different feel, like 50% of how Cooley plays his songs differently when he plays solo- One of These Days for example- Up through the first verse it was just Cooley playing and singing before the rest of the band came in. Everything seemed to have more room to breath ands had a bit slower pacing, a more mellow vibe, etc but you still had Brad playing w sticks vs brushes, Matt Patton laying down heavy bass lines so it didn't really sound like the Dirt Underneath stuff. It was a cool, unique sounding DBT. Panties in your Purse, Sounds better in the Song really worked well in this setting. And stuff like Hell No I Ain't happy was real funky with a lighter feel.

Drive by Truckers never disappoint, really glad to have seen one of these shows and feel thankful to have heard a unique, one off semi acoustic version of the band. I'll post a few pics to the Facebook group.
I think John A and Gaetzi have hit it pretty well, but I'll toss in a couple reflections. Like Gaetzi said, I was definitely looking forward to a face-melting Rock Show, but I can't say I've ever been "disappointed" by a Truckers show. Cooley's "Stepford Speech" on Friday night was hilarious. Right after "Filthy and Fried," he stepped up to the microphone and said to the sedate, seated crowd, "So, do they shock you if you try to stand up?" He asked us to blink twice if we needed help. Throw in a reference to Stepford Wives, the aforementioned "it cuts both ways, motherfuckers," and an emphatic double-bird from stage left and the place sprang to life for "Ronnie and Neil" and the energy was better for the rest of the show.

I thought "Kinky Hypocrite" worked really well in the stripped down context, even if they struggled a little bit to figure out how to end it. It's a song that shines lyrically, and was allowed to do so in that arrangement. "Buttholeville" was a surprise given the lack of electric guitars, but that worked pretty well too.

If I have a complaint, it's that the tight 10 p.m. curfew had the shows feeling a little bit truncated. They hit the stage around 8:20 both nights. Part of the appeal of TDU is there's room for more storytelling/audience interaction, but they didn't do much of that given the time constraints--and we still got relatively short sets (for this band, anyway) of 21 and 19 songs. Exceptions were Cooley's plea for signs of life and Patterson's introduction of "The Opening Act" on night 2.

In all, I enjoyed the hell out of the weekend. Great meeting John A (and providing trunk space was the least I could do). Considering the relative priciness of the tickets, I'd be a little bummed if they booked this venue again when we have both the Ogden and the Boulder Theater within 25 miles. That said, if they announced another run of shows here, I'd still buy tickets. Naturally.

John A Arkansawyer

uncle rickey wrote:
Mundane Mayhem wrote: Wife Beater
:shock:
I don't think I've heard Cooley hit notes that low since Shonna was singing harmony. It was pretty awesome.
Gaetzi wrote:I didn't go Friday but all in all was quite pleasantly surprised on Saturday night. I had heard from friends that went Friday that the acoustic thing was a last second call because the sound check was too loud
I came in during the second song, but heard later that the first words out of Patterson's mouth were "We're too loud for this place". And while waiting for the shuttle back to town after that show, I looked over the shoulder of someone who might have done something not too cool: He had the song list (!) for the night from the stage. Or maybe it was okay, because he mentioned someone from the crew telling him that it wasn't a set list, but a list of songs that (apparently) the band put together of material they thought they could make work, given the sound constraints. If someone told him that, then maybe it was a gift (okay) and not a swipe (not okay) or a lift (questionable).

They didn't hit them all and I think they did a couple that weren't on it. Wife Beater was, but I didn't notice at first. Cottonseed wasn't, I don't think, which surprised me.
Gaetzi wrote:Hell No I Ain't happy was real funky with a lighter feel.
I kept waiting to see if they'd hit Sign O' The Times, but alas! It was not to be. Not that I'm complaining. It was a really good, unusual show. One thing I really enjoyed was hearing the backing vocals clear as a bell.
denverdawg wrote:Thanks again for the ear protection advice. The ear muffs worked really well. My little girl fell asleep about seven songs in, but was so excited to see her first rock show.
I wish I'd seen that!

John A Arkansawyer

I just remembered reaching into my change pocket that I found a pick at the second show, right under my seat. I didn't see anyone throw a pick into the audience but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. It's a Herco Flex 50, nylon and kind of a dull gold color. Any thoughts on whose it might be?

Flea

Post by Flea »

denverdawg wrote:
Thanks again for the ear protection advice. The ear muffs worked really well.
Was the protection for your ears or the muffs?
Now it's dark.

Clams

Post by Clams »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:I just remembered reaching into my change pocket that I found a pick at the second show, right under my seat. I didn't see anyone throw a pick into the audience but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. It's a Herco Flex 50, nylon and kind of a dull gold color. Any thoughts on whose it might be?
That is a P. Hood guitar pick. 100%
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Flea wrote: Was the protection for your ears or the muffs?
Why would one need protection from muff?
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Flea

Post by Flea »

brett27295 wrote:
Google "Blue Waffle". I'll wait.
Now it's dark.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Flea wrote:
brett27295 wrote:
Google "Blue Waffle". I'll wait.
Way ahead of you...I teach teenagers and am well aware of the term :lol:

Actually all the terms so far
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Some great pics from the 6/16 show: http://www.listenupdenver.com/46214/dri ... uditorium/