Boulder Chautauqua Auditorium 6/16 - 6/17

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Gaetzi

Re: Boulder Chautauqua Auditorium 6/16 - 6/17

Post by Gaetzi »

This is kind of an odd venue for DBT. Chautauqua is beautiful but I feel like they typically book more acoustic, Indigo Girls type stuff. Regardless- IN
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Fatah Ruark

Post by Fatah Ruark »

Exactly what I was thinking. Better off to do a Dirt Underneath show there.

I've never been. All I've heard is it sounds pretty mediocre. I can't imagine their sound system being able handle the louder songs.

The venue doesn't allow recording and I have a shit ton of shows in June so I may skip this. Maybe I'll change my mind the week of.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

IN.

Agree that it seems an odd venue choice, but I've been meaning to catch a show here for a while, so this is pretty sweet.

Guessing it'll be a pretty tight curfew with all the multi-million dollar homes in the area, so I hope they can hit the stage on the early side.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

FYI- tickets are now on sale. Almost all reserved. Got three in section A, row H for Sat night.

See you at the Rock Show
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Gaetzi wrote:FYI- tickets are now on sale. Almost all reserved. Got three in section A, row H for Sat night.

See you at the Rock Show
I got 6 in Row G for Saturday and 2 up front in the stage left section on Friday. Might be right in front of you.

Loved being asked to make a donation after paying a total of $65 in service fees. Not terrible on 8 tickets, but I still can't imagine their success rate is very high on that.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

It turns out I'm in the neighborhood for these shows. Any thoughts on the where to go, the what to do?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

I'm better equipped to offer Denver recommendations, but firstly I'd definitely recommend using the shuttle, as opposed to trying to park in the vicinity of the venue. Info here: https://www.chautauqua.com/events/hop-2-chautauqua/

If you're trying to kill some time in downtown Boulder before shuttling over to Chautauqua, I'd definitely check out Mountain Sun on Pearl Street. Good food, good beer, solid prices, and a laid-back vibe (it's a fixture of the local jamband scene). They don't take credit cards or out-of-state checks, so have cash handy.

I also really like West End Tavern (beer, bourbon, bar food).

There's great hiking all over the place, but you could do a lot worse than heading down toward the venue early and taking off from the Chautauqua trailhead. Info here: https://bouldercolorado.gov/osmp/chautauqua-trailhead

I'm sure some of our Boulder locals will put my ideas to shame.

If you have any specific activities you're interested in, let me know and I'll do some brainstorming. If you're planning on spending time in Denver, I can probably be of more help.

Next weekend can't get here soon enough!

John A Arkansawyer

Mundane Mayhem wrote:I'm better equipped to offer Denver recommendations, but firstly I'd definitely recommend using the shuttle, as opposed to trying to park in the vicinity of the venue. Info here: https://www.chautauqua.com/events/hop-2-chautauqua/

If you're trying to kill some time in downtown Boulder before shuttling over to Chautauqua, I'd definitely check out Mountain Sun on Pearl Street. Good food, good beer, solid prices, and a laid-back vibe (it's a fixture of the local jamband scene). They don't take credit cards or out-of-state checks, so have cash handy.

I also really like West End Tavern (beer, bourbon, bar food).

There's great hiking all over the place, but you could do a lot worse than heading down toward the venue early and taking off from the Chautauqua trailhead. Info here: https://bouldercolorado.gov/osmp/chautauqua-trailhead

I'm sure some of our Boulder locals will put my ideas to shame.

If you have any specific activities you're interested in, let me know and I'll do some brainstorming. If you're planning on spending time in Denver, I can probably be of more help.

Next weekend can't get here soon enough!
Very helpful--thanks! So where does one stay in Boulder that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Or should I bring my tent?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

Mundane Mayhem wrote:I'm better equipped to offer Denver recommendations, but firstly I'd definitely recommend using the shuttle, as opposed to trying to park in the vicinity of the venue. Info here: https://www.chautauqua.com/events/hop-2-chautauqua/

I think I'll take both those suggestions--thanks!
Mundane Mayhem wrote:If you have any specific activities you're interested in, let me know and I'll do some brainstorming. If you're planning on spending time in Denver, I can probably be of more help.
I will be in Denver--Centennial, actually--the week before, but I'm not planning on doing much besides training.
Mundane Mayhem wrote:Next weekend can't get here soon enough!
I'm with you! Especially since I'm pretty sure I'm not going to have the greatest time this weekend.

denverdawg

Post by denverdawg »

Also an interesting venue in that they don't serve alcohol, according to the website. (The venue is never completely closed to the elements, and leftover drink/food would draw wildlife, according to the website.) My almost five year old daughter has been dying to see a rock show with me for a while now, and doesn't understand the whole 21 and over thing - so given the early start time and no alcohol, I decided this will be her first rock show with Daddy. We are going to head up from Denver early on Saturday, see the street performers on the mall in downtown Boulder, then head over and do a hike around the Flatirons from the trailheads at Chautauqua, then have dinner at the Chautauqua Dining Hall. Since it's Father's Day weekend, it just sounded like the perfect opportunity to see a rock and roll show with my little girl and make a memorable day of it all.

Knowing that sometimes at least Patterson reads this board, I'll throw out a request for this Daddy-Daughter show for 'Daddy Needs a Drink,' or 'Primer Coat' or 'Eyes Like Glue' from Cooley. I agree with the earlier post - maybe doing at least a partial 'Dirt Underneath' approach could be really cool for this historic venue. But I took a brief listen to the Saturday opener (Rose Hill Drive), and it seems to lean towards pretty loud punk stuff - so they might come out blazing Saturday after the opener sets the tone. We shall see. I'm excited to see it one way or the other. This will be my 19th venue seeing the band play, so it's just always fun to see the Rock Show in a different setting.

I'll second the other poster's thoughts - I don't visit Boulder enough to give great ideas not already given, but I can help with Denver ideas if you need it.

Anyhow, see y'all at the rock show next weekend. I hope I'll be the guy with the little girl who is loving her first rock show! (but totally prepared for whatever happens, considering)

John A Arkansawyer

denverdawg wrote:I hope I'll be the guy with the little girl who is loving her first rock show! (but totally prepared for whatever happens, considering)
Two words: Ear Protection!

denverdawg

Post by denverdawg »

Yeah, I know. Any suggestions / experience? She has some earphones she uses to listen to stuff, so she's already comfortable with those. They aren't built for ear protection, but I wasn't sure if they can pretty much serve the same function, or if I need to get something specific to protection.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

denverdawg wrote:Yeah, I know. Any suggestions / experience? She has some earphones she uses to listen to stuff, so she's already comfortable with those. They aren't built for ear protection, but I wasn't sure if they can pretty much serve the same function, or if I need to get something specific to protection.

Ear Plugs

http://www.earplugstore.com/pluggerz-mu ... plugs.html

Ear Muffs

http://www.earplugstore.com/ear-muffs-for-children.html

I'd probably go with muffs on a 5yo
Always go to the show

John A Arkansawyer

Jonicont wrote:
denverdawg wrote:Yeah, I know. Any suggestions / experience? She has some earphones she uses to listen to stuff, so she's already comfortable with those. They aren't built for ear protection, but I wasn't sure if they can pretty much serve the same function, or if I need to get something specific to protection.

Ear Plugs

http://www.earplugstore.com/pluggerz-mu ... plugs.html

Ear Muffs

http://www.earplugstore.com/ear-muffs-for-children.html

I'd probably go with muffs on a 5yo
I kept my mouth shut so an expert could answer. ;-) I still think we should have an earplug molding party at Homecoming.

John A Arkansawyer

denverdawg wrote:She has some earphones she uses to listen to stuff, so she's already comfortable with those. They aren't built for ear protection, but I wasn't sure if they can pretty much serve the same function, or if I need to get something specific to protection.
Just to emphasize it, the earphones are almost certainly not sufficient for ear protection. You'll want to get actual ear muffs, or possibly ear plugs, as Jonicont says. I'd take his advice. I've met one of his kids. She's got real good hearing and the proof is in the pudding.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

John A Arkansawyer wrote: I still think we should have an earplug molding party at Homecoming.
Bring your kit and I'll hook you up
Always go to the show

John A Arkansawyer

Jonicont wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote: I still think we should have an earplug molding party at Homecoming.
Bring your kit and I'll hook you up
A kind offer! I'll try not to make you regret it. (Note to Johnnie: No garlic or chili that day.)

On another note, if anyone coming to town for these shows is interested in sharing a room, let me know. Anyone headed home Saturday night by way of the Denver Airport? Mass transit will get me there, but I'd rather ride with someone I know. Ping me if you're interested.

denverdawg

Post by denverdawg »

Thanks for the ear protection advice, y'all - appreciate it!

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

From Saturday's Daily Camera:
But a number of people who live not too far from the site are much less happy about hearing the strains of music on Chautauqua's summer schedule, as well as the noise of shuttle buses ferrying people to the concerts, and one family has gone as far as to hire a lawyer to press their case with the city.

Scanning down the schedule of upcoming shows at Chautauqua, it's hard to find many performers who might be expected to have the amps set at 11, a la Spinal Tap. Upcoming shows Friday and Saturday by the Drive-By Truckers stand out as those most likely to test some neighbors' nerves.
http://www.dailycamera.com/news/boulder ... ight-noise

John A Arkansawyer

Mundane Mayhem wrote:From Saturday's Daily Camera:
But a number of people who live not too far from the site are much less happy about hearing the strains of music on Chautauqua's summer schedule, as well as the noise of shuttle buses ferrying people to the concerts, and one family has gone as far as to hire a lawyer to press their case with the city.

Scanning down the schedule of upcoming shows at Chautauqua, it's hard to find many performers who might be expected to have the amps set at 11, a la Spinal Tap. Upcoming shows Friday and Saturday by the Drive-By Truckers stand out as those most likely to test some neighbors' nerves.
Did they move there after the auditorium was there? If so, then fuck 'em. I'm very willing to live and let live, but some folks would rather live and let die.

I'm in kind of a grumpy mood. My plane landed last night a little after eleven, and I thought I had it all planned out. I'd called RTD to make sure I rode the light rail to my stop in Centennial, got on the light rail, and got about halfway to Union Station before I started to wonder. Turns out I didn't need the A light rail but the AT express bus. Fine, I thought, if I'm at the central station, I'll be able to get there. I checked and yeah, there was light rail, the E train, which would run to the same stop and only get me there an hour or so later. But wait! Turns out the E train wasn't running over the first three stops south of Union Station. I had to take the W train to the next stop, where a shuttle bus would take me past the construction zone. And it did. Too late to get the last E train. Somehow, I thought the shuttle bus was going to, you know, shuttle me somewhere. Eventually, Yellow Cab showed up and I spent way too much money getting to my room at 3 AM. Class was at nine. I survived.

It was a nice walk to class, though, other than all the construction and attendant "Sidewalk Closed" signs I had to pretend weren't there, and the sign that was down which caused me to miss my turn and go way out of my way and get lost and get to class twenty minutes late. And the walk home was nice, too, except it was much further around the "block"--it's laid out like sections back home in Oklahoma here, main roads every mile--coming back. And now I'm beat as hell and ready to crash.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Mundane Mayhem wrote:From Saturday's Daily Camera:

Did they move there after the auditorium was there? If so, then fuck 'em. I'm very willing to live and let live, but some folks would rather live and let die.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Chautauqua says in that article that they started amplifying shows in 1980. People pull the same bullshit with Red Rocks. Funny thing is I guarantee that any real estate listing in the area of either venue would list "Walk to the show!" as an amenity.
I'm in kind of a grumpy mood. My plane landed last night a little after eleven, and I thought I had it all planned out. I'd called RTD to make sure I rode the light rail to my stop in Centennial, got on the light rail, and got about halfway to Union Station before I started to wonder. Turns out I didn't need the A light rail but the AT express bus. Fine, I thought, if I'm at the central station, I'll be able to get there. I checked and yeah, there was light rail, the E train, which would run to the same stop and only get me there an hour or so later. But wait! Turns out the E train wasn't running over the first three stops south of Union Station. I had to take the W train to the next stop, where a shuttle bus would take me past the construction zone. And it did. Too late to get the last E train. Somehow, I thought the shuttle bus was going to, you know, shuttle me somewhere. Eventually, Yellow Cab showed up and I spent way too much money getting to my room at 3 AM. Class was at nine. I survived.

It was a nice walk to class, though, other than all the construction and attendant "Sidewalk Closed" signs I had to pretend weren't there, and the sign that was down which caused me to miss my turn and go way out of my way and get lost and get to class twenty minutes late. And the walk home was nice, too, except it was much further around the "block"--it's laid out like sections back home in Oklahoma here, main roads every mile--coming back. And now I'm beat as hell and ready to crash.
Well, welcome to Denver anyway. :? I know RTD can be an adventure at times. What class/training are you here for?

John A Arkansawyer

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:I'm in kind of a grumpy mood. My plane landed last night a little after eleven, and I thought I had it all planned out. I'd called RTD to make sure I rode the light rail to my stop in Centennial, got on the light rail, and got about halfway to Union Station before I started to wonder. Turns out I didn't need the A light rail but the AT express bus. Fine, I thought, if I'm at the central station, I'll be able to get there. I checked and yeah, there was light rail, the E train, which would run to the same stop and only get me there an hour or so later. But wait! Turns out the E train wasn't running over the first three stops south of Union Station. I had to take the W train to the next stop, where a shuttle bus would take me past the construction zone. And it did. Too late to get the last E train. Somehow, I thought the shuttle bus was going to, you know, shuttle me somewhere. Eventually, Yellow Cab showed up and I spent way too much money getting to my room at 3 AM. Class was at nine. I survived.

Well, welcome to Denver anyway. :? I know RTD can be an adventure at times. What class/training are you here for?
You know, last night was the first real good night's sleep I've had in a week. Got about ten hours and interrupted just once to get up and pee like the old man I am. So I'm happy.

I'm here to do an accelerated Linux administration class. I've done this stuff off and on for twenty-odd years. When I got called upon to do it again at work, I was okay at it--actually, a little better than okay--but there is new stuff in the newest version I'm working with, and some stuff specific to this vendor. I was toying with skipping this class and taking the next one instead, but for once hubris didn't get me. So I'm learning a lot--maybe a little less than a lot, but enough to make it worthwhile on its own--and I'll be in a great position to teach this really well to the other cats I work with, which is super important. It was a good decision to ask for it, and a good decision to take it in person out of town. I'm still fielding job stuff when I have time, but I'm not getting interrupted when I'm trying to focus. The travel cost is about a third of the course cost and well worth it. If I were doing this on my own nickel, I'd spend the money, and that's my standard for what I ask for.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Mundane Mayhem wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:I'm in kind of a grumpy mood. My plane landed last night a little after eleven, and I thought I had it all planned out. I'd called RTD to make sure I rode the light rail to my stop in Centennial, got on the light rail, and got about halfway to Union Station before I started to wonder. Turns out I didn't need the A light rail but the AT express bus. Fine, I thought, if I'm at the central station, I'll be able to get there. I checked and yeah, there was light rail, the E train, which would run to the same stop and only get me there an hour or so later. But wait! Turns out the E train wasn't running over the first three stops south of Union Station. I had to take the W train to the next stop, where a shuttle bus would take me past the construction zone. And it did. Too late to get the last E train. Somehow, I thought the shuttle bus was going to, you know, shuttle me somewhere. Eventually, Yellow Cab showed up and I spent way too much money getting to my room at 3 AM. Class was at nine. I survived.

You know, last night was the first real good night's sleep I've had in a week. Got about ten hours and interrupted just once to get up and pee like the old man I am. So I'm happy.

I'm here to do an accelerated Linux administration class. I've done this stuff off and on for twenty-odd years. When I got called upon to do it again at work, I was okay at it--actually, a little better than okay--but there is new stuff in the newest version I'm working with, and some stuff specific to this vendor. I was toying with skipping this class and taking the next one instead, but for once hubris didn't get me. So I'm learning a lot--maybe a little less than a lot, but enough to make it worthwhile on its own--and I'll be in a great position to teach this really well to the other cats I work with, which is super important. It was a good decision to ask for it, and a good decision to take it in person out of town. I'm still fielding job stuff when I have time, but I'm not getting interrupted when I'm trying to focus. The travel cost is about a third of the course cost and well worth it. If I were doing this on my own nickel, I'd spend the money, and that's my standard for what I ask for.
Sweet. And the fact that it dovetails with a couple Rock Shows ain't half bad, either!

John A Arkansawyer

Mundane Mayhem wrote:Sweet. And the fact that it dovetails with a couple Rock Shows ain't half bad, either!
I got lucky on that! I'd done the research for the four possible places to go this month (fiscal year constraint) and Denver was the cheapest. I thought very longingly about maybe spending a little out of my own pocket to justify seeing New York City again, but decided against it and came here. I'd thought these two shows were in July, but after I'd made my training decision, I looked to be sure and, as so often happens, was pleased to be wrong.

Of course, one of the guys in my class had seen DBT a couple times before, and had seen the Dead show last week, so we had things to talk about over lunch. He was amused when I told him about the story from the Daily Camera.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Figured this was as good a place to put this as anywhere else: Ryan Adams just announced a "surprise" show at the Fox (capacity ~500) on Monday night before he takes to Red Rocks on Tuesday. After a weekend of Truckers (and pretty pricey Truckers tickets, too), I'm on the fence. $65 is steep. I'm not doing Red Rocks, but the smaller venue does make it a bit appealing.

Tix on sale tomorrow (Thursday 6/15) at 10 a.m. MDT. http://www.foxtheatre.com/event/1491108 ... s-boulder/

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

For posterity:

John A Arkansawyer

Well, I've done worse on easier tests, but I'm still walking away with a bruised ego and a machine that almost didn't boot back up. Now I'm ready to blow it out in Boulder tonight. And the night after--my friend from class tells me the opener rocks!

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:For posterity:

Thursday ?
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

John A Arkansawyer

John A Arkansawyer wrote:Well, I've done worse on easier tests, but I'm still walking away with a bruised ego and a machine that almost didn't boot back up. Now I'm ready to blow it out in Boulder tonight. And the night after--my friend from class tells me the opener rocks!
Oh, and I have yet to book a room for tonight. Anyone who'd like to split one should drop me a text at (501)240-8430.