Chicago Show -- July 20

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Mr. B

Chicago Show -- July 20

Post by Mr. B »

New (and free!) show just announced for the Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park on July 20. Few things in life are more enjoyable than drinking a few beers at a free show in one of America's most beautiful parks on a warm Chicago evening. Its a beautiful 4,000 seat pavilion with an additional large lawn area in the back. While I would prefer a hot, sweaty night at the Vic or Thalia Hall, this will be a nice opportunity to introduce a bunch of friends to the magic that is DBT. Hopefully a few other Midwestern dates will be added to the calendar either before or after this show.

Zip Up to Michigan

Re: Chicago Show -- July 20

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

Thanks for the heads up Mr. B. I haven't seen this listed anywhere up until now. Kind of bummed it's another Thursday (like the show in February) but a Chicago ->Kalamazoo run is that much more easier than Chicago -> Detroit for me if I decide to do this. Free show, huh? Do you expect this to be normal tour show in terms of length and including an opener , etc. ? Seems like an awfully big venue for DBT, even if it's free!

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

The opening band appears to be a band named Honeysuckle at 6:30. Curfew is at 11 pm so I anticipate the length of DBT's set will be normal. Beautiful venue that they won't have any trouble generating a big crowd for. DBT seems to have gotten some pretty decent airplay on WXRT throughout the years. I have seen much lesser named bands at the free Millennium Park summer concert series, with strong crowds.
It's something to do for free in the heart of the city. You will be able to move freely throughout the pavilion and lawn, but on a Thursday night they'll generate a nice crowd.

https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/d ... ark18.html

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

On track to make it down to Millenium Park for this one tomorrow night, probably right about DBT time.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

This will be the first Chicago-area headlining show that I miss in over 15 years. Parental obligations come first tomorrow night. Luckily, I'll be able to drown my sorrows while drinking Bell's beer at the Friday night show in Kalamazoo.

Have a great time, should be an interesting show given the dynamics of this one.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

This being Chicago, Bueller? Anyone?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

chihio72

Post by chihio72 »

Beautiful night in downtown Chicago. DBT played about an hour and 20 minutes and sounded really good to my ears. I’m curious how it sounded further back; it’s quite an expansive place. Pavilion was maybe 2/3 full but lots more lawn dwellers watching from further back. Unusual place to see the band, a short time slot, and can’t be an easy venue to play but Patterson, in particular, was a total pro as you’d expect and was able to dial up the energy (not that Cooley and others weren’t). Matt’s smile was larger than ever thanks to the enormous jumbotron behind the band. If that wasn’t the largest screen DBT has ever been on, I’d like to see what was bigger. Ever South stood out as a highlight. Patterson’s vocals were a little quiet early and Cooley’s vocals cut out on Surrender Under Protest (or else he’s doing a better job of hiding the occasional forgotten lyric) but those were the only minor issues I noticed. Overall, had to be a really cool gig for the band.

These are almost certainly out of order in the middle, but I think I have the songs correct:

Surrender Under Protest
Baggage
Ramon Casiano
Guns of Umpqua
Where the Devil Don’t Stay
Puttin People On The Moon
Kinky Hypocrite
Ever South
A Ghost to Most
Ronnie and Neil
Shit Shots Count
Let There Be Rock
Shut Up and Get On The Plane
Hell No I Ain’t Happy

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

beantownbubba wrote:This being Chicago, Bueller? Anyone?
You want a review of my daughter's camp performance?

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

chihio72 wrote:
These are almost certainly out of order in the middle, but I think I have the songs correct:
I heard they did KKK Took My Baby Away as well? Got a text from a friend who was there and very excited about that.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Work took priority last night, and I got hung up in a 90+ minute conference call and missed the Metra from the burbs which would have gotten me there on time. Heard it was an intense sample set with the band playing with a vengeance. BYOB and beautiful Chicagoland weather last night.
Bummed that a missed it.

The setlist which the buddies who were in attendance sent me.

Surrender Under Protest
Baggage
Where the Devil Don't Stay
Puttin' People on the Moon
Ramon Casiano
Guns of Umpqua
A Ghost to Most
Ever South
Kinky Hypocrite
The KKK Took My Baby Away
Let There Be Rock
Shit Shots Count
Ronnie and Neil
Shut Up and Get on the Plane
Hell No, I Ain't Happy

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mr. B wrote:
Hell yeah!

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mr. B wrote:
Hell yeah!
I laughed. I cried. 4 stars!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mr. B wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Mr. B wrote: You want a review of my daughter's camp performance?
Hell yeah!
I laughed. I cried. 4 stars!
I hope that's 4 out of 4.

Brava!