DBT @ WXPN's XPoNential Festival, July 30

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: DBT @ WXPN's XPoNential Festival, July 30

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Jonicont wrote:
uncle rickey wrote:
Sterling Bigmouth wrote:Yeah I couldn’t tell what the deal with the heckler was. The way Patterson reacted I assumed it couldn’t be too bad, but who knows. We’ll find out later.
It sounded to me like the heckler said "how come there are no black people in your band," or something like that.
I thought I saw Chris Christie
nah, he's in Milwaukee

http://deadspin.com/chris-christie-gets ... 1797379656
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Clams

Post by Clams »

uncle rickey wrote:
Sterling Bigmouth wrote:Yeah I couldn’t tell what the deal with the heckler was. The way Patterson reacted I assumed it couldn’t be too bad, but who knows. We’ll find out later.
It sounded to me like the heckler said "how come there are no black people in your band," or something like that.
Yes that's exactly what he said. He was right behind Bill, Guinness and me. Total asshole. Completely interrupted Patterson's intro to What It Means and disrupted the show. And the remark didn't even make any sense. But Patterson regrouped and put him in his place by dedicating the song to him.

Anyway... Fun day and great show. Perfect weather, beautiful location on the Delaware River, and XPN throws a really great party. The boys closed out the festival and sounded great doing it. Gravitys Gone/Buttholeville/State Trooper was awesome. So was Give Me Some Truth. Good to watch the show with Guinness and Worldwide. God bless the Drive By Truckers.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Clams

Post by Clams »

Me, Worldwide and Guinness in the final moments before rock show blastoff

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

I was watching the live stream when the heckler made the comment about "Where are all the black guys in your band?" It was a facepalm moment: PH has made it clear that part of the importance of what they are saying, and how clearly they are saying it, is that they ARE a bunch of white, southern dudes. He isn't speaking for black people: they can speak for themselves, have bands, write, etc...DBT doesn't have a black person in the band? Should they have? Dunno. What musicians were available when there was a spot in the band? Were there any black musicians interested at the time. (Leaving aside the Booker T record).

Talk about missing the fucking point.

There's an article today about the new movie, "Detroit", directed by Kathryn Bigelow ("Hurt Locker"), and Michael Eric Dyson said this:
The reality of two Americas means that there is a significant segment of the population for whom the idea of racism in policing is either difficult to grasp or fiction. That makes the telling of this story by someone like Ms. Bigelow vitally important, said Michael Eric Dyson, the scholar and activist. Her broad appeal can attract white viewers who might not otherwise go to see a movie about this topic, he said.

“This is a white woman telling the truth as much as she can on film about racial injustice in America,” said Mr. Dyson, a Detroit native whom Ms. Bigelow consulted on the movie. “That will resonate very powerfully with white folks. What better way to use your white privilege than to undermine it, raise questions about it, leverage it on behalf of black and brown people who usually don’t have a voice in the matter at all.”
And to me, that is PRECISELY what Patterson and Cooley are tying to do with "What It Means", and other songs. The fucking Purity Police on my side of the political spectrum sometimes makes me feel pretty god-damned hopeless. (But then I put on "Ghost to Most" and I feel all right...)
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

glennrwordman wrote: The fucking Purity Police on my side of the political spectrum sometimes makes me feel pretty god-damned hopeless. (But then I put on "Ghost to Most" and I feel all right...)
Fair point, but I'd bet that the heckler in this instance was a righty (assuming you're not, but apologies if I misconstrued).
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:I'd bet that the heckler in this instance was a righty
Interesting.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

beantownbubba wrote:
Interesting.
I mean, hard to say. I wasn't there, obviously. Not worth thinking about it too much. But I've definitely seen the "you're a hypocrite" attack deployed pretty frequently by the Right in conversations around racial justice/equity. I'd like to think that "my side" would see the Truckers as allies in this fight, but that could just be wishful thinking.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:
Interesting.
The crazy thing about the heckler was that within 5 minutes of his comment, he was nodding his head and singing along to the music.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Couple of vids from this show are up on the excellent Vuhaus site

Gravity's Gone
https://www.vuhaus.com/videos/drive-by- ... tival-2017

Let There be Rock
https://www.vuhaus.com/videos/drive-by- ... tival-2017

Some great crowd shots in there too :)

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Clams wrote: Some great crowd shots in there too :)
Could you see much over Bill?
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Clams

Post by Clams »

LBRod wrote:
Clams wrote: Some great crowd shots in there too :)
Could you see much over Bill?
You have to do a lot of ducking and weaving and neck-craning, but the honor of taking in a show with Worldwide makes it all worth it!