Baggage

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Danger Bird

Baggage

Post by Danger Bird »

Am I the only one out there that thinks Baggage is a great song? Love it on AB and really love it live. Looking back, it really stood out to me as one of the better moments on Thursday at homecoming. Cooley just smoked the solo at the end. He just kept going! Kind of caught me off guard. Hard to imagine going in that Baggage would be one of the songs that would be thinking about a month later. Could be I was just drunk though cause really loved English Oceans as well.

Zip City

Re: Baggage

Post by Zip City »

Danger Bird wrote:Am I the only one out there that thinks Baggage is a great song? Love it on AB and really love it live. Looking back, it really stood out to me as one of the better moments on Thursday at homecoming. Cooley just smoked the solo at the end. He just kept going! Kind of caught me off guard. Hard to imagine going in that Baggage would be one of the songs that would be thinking about a month later. Could be I was just drunk though cause really loved English Oceans as well.
It's my favorite song on AB by a large margin
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

I went to the record store and picked up AB the day after it came out. It was the second anniversary of my brother Keith deciding that his best move was to get into his bathtub with an AR15. Baggage was playing as I pulled into the cigar store parking lot I had stopped at to get some Boveda humidity packs for my humidors. I cried like a baby. Tears were still streaming down my face when the song ended and I went inside the store. I didn't give a fuck who saw me in that state of emotional distress. I think it that was at that exact moment that I finally finished processing the fact that my brother had blown the back of his head off.
Keep calm and have a cigar

disgruntledgoat

Post by disgruntledgoat »

sactochris wrote:I went to the record store and picked up AB the day after it came out. It was the second anniversary of my brother Keith deciding that his best move was to get into his bathtub with an AR15. Baggage was playing as I pulled into the cigar store parking lot I had stopped at to get some Boveda humidity packs for my humidors. I cried like a baby. Tears were still streaming down my face when the song ended and I went inside the store. I didn't give a fuck who saw me in that state of emotional distress. I think it that was at that exact moment that I finally finished processing the fact that my brother had blown the back of his head off.
Heavy. Thanks for being so honest

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

kevn kinny's tune this town always makes me cry like a little girl.

no offense meant to little girls.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

sactochris wrote:I went to the record store and picked up AB the day after it came out. It was the second anniversary of my brother Keith deciding that his best move was to get into his bathtub with an AR15. Baggage was playing as I pulled into the cigar store parking lot I had stopped at to get some Boveda humidity packs for my humidors. I cried like a baby. Tears were still streaming down my face when the song ended and I went inside the store. I didn't give a fuck who saw me in that state of emotional distress. I think it that was at that exact moment that I finally finished processing the fact that my brother had blown the back of his head off.
Fuck. Sorry man.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Clams

Post by Clams »

Beebs wrote:
Fuck. Sorry man.
X2. Good that you're able to open up like that, sacto. I hope you can somehow find peace in all that.

Incredible how DBT songs always strike such a raw nerve.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Oh wow. Jeez man I'm sorry.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Yeah sorry buddy. You are not alone. There's a few similar stories around here in Heathen land
Always go to the show

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Beebs wrote:
Fuck. Sorry man.
What Beebs said :( :( :(

after this story and the one regarding your dad, I sincerely hope from here out it's all kittens, puppies, rainbows, and cigars for you
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

I want to say thank you to everyone who posted such kind words. It means a lot to me.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

sactochris wrote:I want to say thank you to everyone who posted such kind words. It means a lot to me.
Sachto,
I hope you continue to find closure after this tragedy.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Also my favorite song off the record....It's one of Patterson's gems and like many of his songs, it came to him and I would not be surprised he penned it in no time at all....

Sorry to hear that brother Sacto - there are no words man...sometimes it's tough to hold things/emotions inside when you feel you have no one to talk too....Love each other.....be there for your friends.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Beebs wrote:
Fuck. Sorry man.
What Beebs said :( :( :(

after this story and the one regarding your dad, I sincerely hope from here out it's all kittens, puppies, rainbows, and cigars for you
Nothing to add. :( :(
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

So sorry for your loss. I can't imagine.

Was listening to an interview with Patton Oswalt this morning. He lost his wife, who he credits completely with turning his life around, suddenly last year, and needless to say, it devastated him. He said something that just struck me really hard:

"There's that famous line from Magnolia 'I'm through with the past. Well, the past isn't through with you.' And that is exactly what this is. You know, you can say you're through with grief all you want, but grief will let you know when it's done." http://www.npr.org/2017/03/10/519223604 ... -all-wrong

Most rock songs just brush the topic of genuine depression (as opposed to "I'm sad/I'm hurt/I've been done wrong"), but to meet it so squarely is really rare. I think when people hear that, without armor, it cuts more deeply. "Baggage" does that. It's such a powerful and brave song.
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

glennrwordman wrote:Was listening to an interview with Patton Oswalt this morning. He lost his wife, who he credits completely with turning his life around, suddenly last year, and needless to say, it devastated him. He said something that just struck me really hard:

"There's that famous line from Magnolia 'I'm through with the past. Well, the past isn't through with you.' And that is exactly what this is. You know, you can say you're through with grief all you want, but grief will let you know when it's done." http://www.npr.org/2017/03/10/519223604 ... -all-wrong

Most rock songs just brush the topic of genuine depression (as opposed to "I'm sad/I'm hurt/I've been done wrong"), but to meet it so squarely is really rare.
Agreed. And yet: "Guess it'll be through with me before I'm through with it." Not quite the same thing, but not that different, either.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

To the extent that you can.....

Toss it in the river and be free.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Rocky wrote:To the extent that you can.....

Toss it in the river and be free.
Yes, peace to you Sacto. I know you never really get over it, it just becomes a part of you. I hope you carry many memories of him before that moment, positive ones that are the essence of who he was,and they give you strength and you can share them with us and others as well.

I think it might be the most important song Patterson has ever written.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

X2 - this song should be played on the airwaves

Clams

Post by Clams »

Anyone find it interesting that Isbell's song about (and called) anxiety follows Patterson's song on depression by a few months?
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

Clams wrote:Anyone find it interesting that Isbell's song about (and called) anxiety follows Patterson's song on depression by a few months?
Well, there sure as s**t is plenty of depression and anxiety to go around!
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

Danger Bird

Post by Danger Bird »

Well, there sure as s**t is plenty of depression and anxiety to go around![/quote]

True enough. Difference for me being that Baggage has a healing effect for me while Anxiety just makes me anxious.

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

Danger Bird wrote:True enough. Difference for me being that Baggage has a healing effect for me while Anxiety just makes me anxious.
"Baggage" posits that there is a way out. "Anxiety" does not.