Dance Band of the Resistance

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Jenn

Dance Band of the Resistance

Post by Jenn »

Hey folks! We reprinted some HC2017 merch and sent it to the store - we never do that! But the demand was high, so if you guys missed out on getting some of those kickass shirts, here ya go.

Heathens Homecoming 2017 Tee: http://drivebytruckers.shop.musictoday. ... pc=D2CT126

DBT Dance Band of the Resistance Tee: http://drivebytruckers.shop.musictoday. ... pc=D2CT128

DBT Resistance Baseball Tee: http://drivebytruckers.shop.musictoday. ... pc=D2CT128

-jenn
どれだけ涙を流せば
貴方を忘れられるだろう
Just tell me my life
何処まで歩いてみても
涙で明日が見えない

Jenn

Re: Dance Band of the Resistance

Post by Jenn »

どれだけ涙を流せば
貴方を忘れられるだろう
Just tell me my life
何処まで歩いてみても
涙で明日が見えない

disgruntledgoat

Post by disgruntledgoat »

Hey Jenn,

Are these available on the European tour?

njMark

Post by njMark »

I've got 2 of the three items listed, do I go for the Trifecta?

ford911

Post by ford911 »

For anyone who has one, how does the baseball tee fit? They seem to run small from my experience.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Most of the shirts they sell tend to run a size too small. Purchase bigger than you think you need. Unless you're female; the women's shirts run larger than they are, so purchase much SMALLER. Trust me on this one nudge nudge wink wink.
Now it's dark.

ford911

Post by ford911 »

Thanks!

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

ford911 wrote:For anyone who has one, how does the baseball tee fit? They seem to run small from my experience.
I have washed and dried my XL baseball tee and it fits fine.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

njMark

Post by njMark »

Never have had a problem with any of the band's shirts, the baseball one I have fits fine

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I always buy one size larger and NEVER dry them. If I do dry them accidentally I end up giving them to Beth. I don't really love the 52/48 blend on the new shirts but I know that's what's popular and I want the band to sell tons of them so I'm good with it. I usually only wear 100% cotton clothing but for The Dance Band of the Resistance tee I make an exception.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

The old 100% cotton XLs fit me perfectly. The new lighter weight XLs just barely fit me, but they do fit. The XL baseball shirt that came with the American Band pre-order is going to require me to lose a few pounds before I can wear it---doctor told me to lose 20 lbs anyway, so I guess I'll get to wear my baseball shirt as a reward after I lose about 10 more.
Let the outside air in

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I don't have Facebook but some buddies sent me a post by Daniel Hutchens, of Bloodkin, regarding some fans' reactions to his Dance Band of the Resistance shirt.

If you can find this post, it's a good read!

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Beaverdam wrote:I don't have Facebook but some buddies sent me a post by Daniel Hutchens, of Bloodkin, regarding some fans' reactions to his Dance Band of the Resistance shirt.

If you can find this post, it's a good read!
For the curious, here it is. Been meaning to order one of these. I should thank those cats for the reminder.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Agree with Danny 100% but it's possible that part of the issue is what "the resistance" has been up to. I mean destroying property, setting things on fire, assaulting people, in the name of politics...

That's bad no matter who you are or how you look at it. I like all kinds of people. And if I see a friend with one of these shirts on I'm sure not going to refrain from shaking their hand. But the people on the front lines of the resistance have been responsible for some heinous crap for which there is no excuse. I personally wish the guys weren't calling themselves that but...
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Cole Younger wrote:I personally wish the guys weren't calling themselves that but...
I'm personally glad the guys are calling themselves the Dance Band of the Resistance. And I hope people continue to stand up for what's right. Keep it up because it's working.

Resist. Persist. Repeat.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Flea

Post by Flea »

brett27295 wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:I personally wish the guys weren't calling themselves that but...
I'm personally glad the guys are calling themselves the Dance Band of the Resistance. And I hope people continue to stand up for what's right. Keep it up because it's working.

Resist. Persist. Repeat.
If you want an omelette, you need to break some eggs.
Now it's dark.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

brett27295 wrote:

Resist. Persist. Repeat.
I guess the point I was trying to make was while I'm on board all the way with Danny's point about needing to maintain a friendly society and still be neighbors and friends regardless of differences, it's odd that he doesn't see the irony in his making that point and his support of a movement that is doing all it can to extinguish those concepts altogether. The resistance doesnt seem to be about Trump. Not exclusively. It seems to be about crushing everyone identified as not being part of it.

I don't care what t shirts people wear or how they vote etc. If you're cool, I like you. But these resistance warriors are the very thing they claim to be against. And what are they resisting? They can tear up the pea patch all they want, set as many fires, hurt as many people, and destroy as much property as they can between now '20, it won't get Trump out of there any sooner than that. Vote him out. Because violence in the name of achieving political gain is the definition of something but it ain't resistance. It's terrorism. There is no way that comes close to standing up for what is right.
Last edited by Cole Younger on Sat May 20, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Flea wrote:
brett27295 wrote:

Resist. Persist. Repeat.
If you want an omelette, you need to break some eggs.
I know it. I just think there is a better way to do it.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Cole Younger wrote:Because violence in the name of achieving political gain is the definition of something but it ain't resistance. It's terrorism. There is no way that comes close to standing up for what is right.
I'm honestly not sure what violence you are referring to. Sure there's been a few isolated incidents here and there but certainly not to the level that you seem to be talking about. The March for Science and the Women's March were virtually violence free as were the many, many protests over the last few months. There was a fairly large protest march here in Raleigh (around 50,000 or so) a little while back and I'm not even sure anyone littered.

As a matter of fact the entire progressive protest movement against the policies of the Trump administration and the ACHA has been largely violence free.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

brett27295 wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:Because violence in the name of achieving political gain is the definition of something but it ain't resistance. It's terrorism. There is no way that comes close to standing up for what is right.
I'm honestly not sure what violence you are referring to. Sure there's been a few isolated incidents here and there but certainly not to the level that you seem to be talking about. The March for Science and the Women's March were virtually violence free as were the many, many protests over the last few months. There was a fairly large protest march here in Raleigh (around 50,000 or so) a little while back and I'm not even sure anyone littered.

As a matter of fact the entire progressive protest movement against the policies of the Trump administration and the ACHA has been largely violence free.
Yeah I know those were violence free as they should have been. There are others that haven been anything but violence free. I guess you can minimize it but if some fringe conservative group was doing the same thing and saying some of the same things would you just shrug it off? We've been getting Give Me Some Truth in the set lists recently. If only.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Cole Younger wrote:
Yeah I know those were violence free as they should have been. There are others that haven been anything but violence free. I guess you can minimize it but if some fringe conservative group was doing the same thing and saying some of the same things would you just shrug it off? We've been getting Give Me Some Truth in the set lists recently. If only.
I'll tell you what, I'll "minimize" it & you can act like any protest against the policies of the Trump Adminstration are lead by terrorist organizations. Gimme Some Truth indeed.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

brett27295 wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:
I'll tell you what, I'll "minimize" it & you can act like any protest against the policies of the Trump Adminstration are lead by terrorist organizations. Gimme Some Truth indeed.
Lol. Man what are you so angry about? This seems like it happens with you a lot. If I don't just shut up after one or two exchanges this is what I'm going to get. I didn't vote for Trump. I didn't vote for either of those two walking dumpster fires. But wrong is wrong and these jerks like the ones who did what they did at Berkeley are criminals and nothing more. There is no justification for what those people did and a person doesn't have to like or agree with Donald Trump to be able to see that. Some things are just wrong and politics shouldn't be so important that excuses get made for it. I didn't say any protest against the policies of Trump were lead by terrorist organizations. And you know I didn't say that.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

As the pin says, love each other, motherfuckers. Both you guys are smart, passionate, and caring - I hate to see two rock-solid kind of dudes spar.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Cole Younger wrote:
Lol. Man what are you so angry about? This seems like it happens with you a lot. If I don't just shut up after one or two exchanges this is what I'm going to get. I didn't vote for Trump. I didn't vote for either of those two walking dumpster fires. But wrong is wrong and these jerks like the ones who did what they did at Berkeley are criminals and nothing more. There is no justification for what those people did and a person doesn't have to like or agree with Donald Trump to be able to see that. Some things are just wrong and politics shouldn't be so important that excuses get made for it. I didn't say any protest against the policies of Trump were lead by terrorist organizations. And you know I didn't say that.
Have you ever noticed your go to reply when someone disagrees with you is to accuse them of being angry?

I support the shirt, I support the band's decision to embrace it, and I support any and all resistance movements against the Trump Administration.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Cole Younger wrote:
Have you ever noticed your go to reply when someone disagrees with you is to accuse them of being angry?

I support the shirt, I support the band's decision to embrace it, and I support any and all resistance movements against the Trump Administration.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

ramonz wrote:As the pin says, love each other, motherfuckers. Both you guys are smart, passionate, and caring - I hate to see two rock-solid kind of dudes spar.
I'm with ramonz. Love each other. I sure as hell didn't mean to start anything. I think what hutchens said was pretty interesting though!

Harsh your mellow!

John A Arkansawyer

ramonz wrote:As the pin says, love each other, motherfuckers. Both you guys are smart, passionate, and caring - I hate to see two rock-solid kind of dudes spar.
I'm glad somebody else likes that song!
brett27295 wrote:I support the shirt, I support the band's decision to embrace it, and I support any and all resistance movements against the Trump Administration.
There are a few elements in the resistance that I don't support, and there are some possible actions I wouldn't support unless the situation changes drastically for the worse, which I hope it doesn't. It's worse enough already. I've spent way too much time contemplating what an out-and-out fight would look like, and the one good part about it is that I'm old, slow, and clumsy, and wouldn't live through very much of it.
Cole Younger wrote:I didn't vote for either of those two walking dumpster fires.
I think you've made a mistake in comparing Hillary and Trump there. He's a dumpster fire, sure enough. She's bad but he's worse. She's smart and hard-working and competent and all that, and I'd much rather have her with her finger on the Big Button right now. There were maybe a half-dozen Republican candidates I could say that of, too. I also thought she was unlikely to advance my interests or the interests of The People as a whole as President. The Democratic Party has been justifying a long, slow sellout since her pigfucker of a husband took office. "Vote for our bullshit compromises or the world will end! You have no choice but to eat just a little more shit! It's for your own good." That's worked out awfully well, hasn't it?

But Hillary == dumpster fire? I don't think so. Here's a true story which, like almost all my stories, involves me:

My second- or third-longest friendship (depending on if you count my late friend's son, who was like six when i first met him) in Arkansaw is with the guy who did a lot of the research which went into the Arkansas Project. He was my roommate on two separate occasions. We were once in business together putting out a newspaper, and he used writing I'd done in co-founding the Arkansas Green Party. (He used the wrong part, I might add.) I think he thought he was doing that research on behalf of the left--I want to say it was The Nation magazine he'd gotten the impression he was working for--but that's not how it turned out. Most of the anti-Clinton bullshit from the early, pre-Presidential days, came from the left. It was just a fact beyond question that Clinton had helped the CIA move cocaine through the Mena airport to help fund the Contras in Nicaragua. I figured Clinton, who I already despised, was the kind of guy who would do that, especially since I'm pretty sure his running buddy and fellow pussyhound Don Tyson did have his finger in the cocaine trade. I changed my mind about it when the guy my friend brought to town to speak about flying some of those supposed missions dropped the bomb (so to speak) as kind of an aside that he also flew George Bush to France in 1980 as part of the supposed October Surprise. I thought that coincidence went beyond what was credible, and that he just "oh, kinda remembered this too" as an afterthought was totally unbelievable. At that point, I figured it was either random nut-jobbery or some sort of disinformation operation. Then I looked at the actual evidence underlying all that early anti-Clinton stuff, and it was all bullshit, total bullshit.

(The only piece of editorial work I've ever done that I regret was doing my damnedest to turn an article my friend wrote into a front-page story for our weekly that I could be proud of publishing. I didn't and I wasn't and I wish all around I hadn't, so I guess I'm a fine one to criticize Bill Clinton for his compromises. Not that I'll stop, because he really is a piece of crap, but I have a little more perspective on it now.)

In retrospect, I don't know what to think. It would have been awfully prescient to start that kind of operation against Clinton way back when he was still an ambitious governor who couldn't keep his dick under control. On the other hand, all I know about disinformation and black propaganda and that sort of thing is that you can't know much about it, by design, even if you are a conscious participant in it.

What I am sure of is that at some point, a lot of bullshit got encrusted around the very real grievances folks had against Bill Clinton, and some of that bullshit wiped off on Hillary. Bill is really just a farce of his own making, like a bigger Anthony Wiener, but I'm coming to see Hillary as an actual tragedy, a smart, thoughtful woman who married the wrong man at a time when a smart, thoughtful woman's options were growing way beyond having to attach herself to a piece of crap and hope that he floated to the top of the toilet bowl that is American Politics As She Is Spoken. The Scum Also Rises, as Hunter S. Thompson reminds us. I figure it had to be True Love, which is The Devil's Hot Rod.

And now here we are. And I've about worn out my shift key.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

Still getting me one of those shirts, though. Maybe one of each style.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

The offenders in the Berkeley protests weren't part of the "resistance" (as its understood); they were anti-fascist anarchists using "Black Bloc" tactics. If the shoe was on the other foot and HRC was president and there was a protest against a fringe-left speaker, they'd have likely done the same thing. To try and say they are representative or even part of the opposition to Trump is disingenuous; of course, I'm sure the fact of who those people were and why they were there was probably glossed over or ignored depending on what news outlet you prefer.

There were over 1500 peaceful protesters at Berkeley and somewhere between 50-75 vandals. That's a negligible percentage and certainly not worthy of inspiring hyperbole like this:
These resistance warriors are the very thing they claim to be against. And what are they resisting? They can tear up the pea patch all they want, set as many fires, hurt as many people, and destroy as much property as they can between now '20, it won't get Trump out of there any sooner than that. Vote him out. Because violence in the name of achieving political gain is the definition of something but it ain't resistance. It's terrorism
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
I'm glad somebody else likes that song!
brett27295 wrote:I support the shirt, I support the band's decision to embrace it, and I support any and all resistance movements against the Trump Administration.
There are a few elements in the resistance that I don't support, and there are some possible actions I wouldn't support unless the situation changes drastically for the worse, which I hope it doesn't. It's worse enough already. I've spent way too much time contemplating what an out-and-out fight would look like, and the one good part about it is that I'm old, slow, and clumsy, and wouldn't live through very much of it.
Cole Younger wrote:I didn't vote for either of those two walking dumpster fires.
I think you've made a mistake in comparing Hillary and Trump there. He's a dumpster fire, sure enough. She's bad but he's worse. She's smart and hard-working and competent and all that, and I'd much rather have her with her finger on the Big Button right now. There were maybe a half-dozen Republican candidates I could say that of, too. I also thought she was unlikely to advance my interests or the interests of The People as a whole as President. The Democratic Party has been justifying a long, slow sellout since her pigfucker of a husband took office. "Vote for our bullshit compromises or the world will end! You have no choice but to eat just a little more shit! It's for your own good." That's worked out awfully well, hasn't it?

But Hillary == dumpster fire? I don't think so. Here's a true story which, like almost all my stories, involves me:

My second- or third-longest friendship (depending on if you count my late friend's son, who was like six when i first met him) in Arkansaw is with the guy who did a lot of the research which went into the Arkansas Project. He was my roommate on two separate occasions. We were once in business together putting out a newspaper, and he used writing I'd done in co-founding the Arkansas Green Party. (He used the wrong part, I might add.) I think he thought he was doing that research on behalf of the left--I want to say it was The Nation magazine he'd gotten the impression he was working for--but that's not how it turned out. Most of the anti-Clinton bullshit from the early, pre-Presidential days, came from the left. It was just a fact beyond question that Clinton had helped the CIA move cocaine through the Mena airport to help fund the Contras in Nicaragua. I figured Clinton, who I already despised, was the kind of guy who would do that, especially since I'm pretty sure his running buddy and fellow pussyhound Don Tyson did have his finger in the cocaine trade. I changed my mind about it when the guy my friend brought to town to speak about flying some of those supposed missions dropped the bomb (so to speak) as kind of an aside that he also flew George Bush to France in 1980 as part of the supposed October Surprise. I thought that coincidence went beyond what was credible, and that he just "oh, kinda remembered this too" as an afterthought was totally unbelievable. At that point, I figured it was either random nut-jobbery or some sort of disinformation operation. Then I looked at the actual evidence underlying all that early anti-Clinton stuff, and it was all bullshit, total bullshit.

(The only piece of editorial work I've ever done that I regret was doing my damnedest to turn an article my friend wrote into a front-page story for our weekly that I could be proud of publishing. I didn't and I wasn't and I wish all around I hadn't, so I guess I'm a fine one to criticize Bill Clinton for his compromises. Not that I'll stop, because he really is a piece of crap, but I have a little more perspective on it now.)

In retrospect, I don't know what to think. It would have been awfully prescient to start that kind of operation against Clinton way back when he was still an ambitious governor who couldn't keep his dick under control. On the other hand, all I know about disinformation and black propaganda and that sort of thing is that you can't know much about it, by design, even if you are a conscious participant in it.

What I am sure of is that at some point, a lot of bullshit got encrusted around the very real grievances folks had against Bill Clinton, and some of that bullshit wiped off on Hillary. Bill is really just a farce of his own making, like a bigger Anthony Wiener, but I'm coming to see Hillary as an actual tragedy, a smart, thoughtful woman who married the wrong man at a time when a smart, thoughtful woman's options were growing way beyond having to attach herself to a piece of crap and hope that he floated to the top of the toilet bowl that is American Politics As She Is Spoken. The Scum Also Rises, as Hunter S. Thompson reminds us. I figure it had to be True Love, which is The Devil's Hot Rod.

And now here we are. And I've about worn out my shift key.
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing