The Haj 2017/The Star Club 1962

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

The Haj 2017/The Star Club 1962

Post by beantownbubba »

Thanks to jonicont for the traveling to Mecca metaphor: Homecoming indeed feels like a pilgrimage, more so every year. And no, I don't think DBT is about to become the next Beatles or anything like that, but I do think that being at the 40 Watt Club tonight felt something like it must have felt to those lucky enough to be there at the beginning of the Beatles. Something is happening here and I think we know what it is, Mr & Ms. Jones.

This is only my 5th or 6th Homecoming. But I don't think I'm going out on any kind of limb to say that there's never been a homecoming Thursday like this one. First of all, the show was sold out, which I'm virtually certain was a first for the thursday show. Second, the show was spectacular from beginning to end, all fireworks, no rest, much less any filler. It would be easier if one of the set listers had come through, but this is how I heard it:

The show started off fine and a bit mellow w/ "Guns of Umpquaa." Cooley then lit into "Ghost to Most," Patterson followed with an incredible "Gimme Some Truth" and that was all she wrote. The boys were at full throttle from then until perhaps the most titanic version of "Grand Canyon" I've ever heard, ending about 2 hours and 20 minutes after the first note. My sense was that Patterson tried to reign things in, Cooley was having none of it, and finally Patterson decided "what the hell, fuck it" and jumped in w/ both feet. It was pretty much a breakneck pace from "Ghost" to "Grand Canyon". Even the couple of slow ones burned. The highlights were many and the surprises were welcome (e.g. "My Sweet Annette"). For a while it seemed that Bootsy Collins and Bernie Worrell were in the house (an incendiary funkified "Aftermath USA" for example).

My recent reviews did not include what should be the obligatory acknowlegement of Jay's multi-instrumental virtuosity. Sorry about that, but it was on full display tonight. Dazzling. His right hand on the keys was simply fabulous. All 3 guitarists were feeling it and the solos went round n round in ever more intense displays of dexterity and mastery. The "Birthday Boy" - "Girls Who Smoke" couplet is always welcome but tonight it was just off the charts.

I need a set list to remind me of more specifics, but damn, this was an incredible show and if this set the bar, you may want to drop everything, shut your mouth and get your ass on the plane to ATL in time for Friday or at least Saturday nite. I'm pretty sure this weekend is going to be something special. The band is in a great, great place and it is a joy to behold.

FWIW, I have no idea what the offender during "What It Means" did, but whatever it was, he paid for it. He was G-O-N-E in no uncertain terms. I loved that Patterson started the song over after the "incident" (I don't want to overstate what was a minor hiccup) was over.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Swamp

Re: The Haj 2017/The Star Club 1962

Post by Swamp »

Since our first one we have always called it our Mecca.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Beaverdam

Re: The Haj 2017/The Star Club 1962

Post by Beaverdam »

Swamp wrote:Since our first one we have always called it our Mecca.
Yesterday during our never-ending drive to our first homecoming, we constantly joked about our pilgrimage to Mecca!