DBT in Wilmington, DE

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

brett27295

Re: DBT in Wilmington, DE

Post by brett27295 »

beantownbubba wrote:
Unless you're at a punk show, I think one can pretty much expect the occasional slow one. In DBT's case, not only are some of them fan favorites, but I think the band generally does a good job of managing the flow and momentum of the set. Sometimes the segue into or out of the slow ones seems abrupt but most often they manage to make the whole thing flow quite well. Another subtle but real ability that distinguishes DBT from the pack. Particularly impressive in that they manage it w/out a setlist and do it more or less by "feel." It's also another example of how Hood & Cooley play off each other and I think a pretty fascinating one.
I generally agree. However, I saw them in Charlotte once when they opened with 4-5 slow songs in a row that was kind of a downer. I think even Patterson eventually realized it because after about the 5th slow song in a row he said "Let's play some big-titted rock and roll" and roared into Lookout Mountain.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

phungi wrote:Gotta wonder if Cooley had over-celebrated:

Alterations of time: playing Zip City as his 5th song (10th overall).
He went for it pretty early the night before too, probably his 4th or 5th song.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Like bubba, I enjoy when Cooley throws a Zip City change up early in the set. IMO it keeps things interesting and fresh. Once They Banned Imagine is such a good song that I'm happy to see and hear it anywhere/anytime. I also like how you get the double dose of John Lennon when it follows the blistering Gimme Some Truth. I think it works well. As far as First Air of Autumn, Cooley obviously favors the song and that's good enough for me. But yes, it was weird when he had that brain fart on the lyrics. Anyway, moving on...

As for last night, I think I'm spoiled by the string of monster shows I've seen over the past year - Brooklyn and Washington a year ago, the edgy and emotional post-election show in Philly, and the homecoming run two months ago at the 40 Watt. Those are tough to match. Last night was solid though and one hell of a way to spend an otherwise humdrum Thursday night. Plus my wife came along so it was a fun date night. The highlight for me was Buttholeville/State Trooper which is one of my all time favorites and the mini run of KKK/Gimme Some Truth/Banned Imagine was pretty smoking too. Great time and fun to see all the usual suspects in the crowd too. Patterson yelled "See you at the 930 Club tomorrow night!!" as he closed the show and methinks yall are in for a pair of monster shows in DC this weekend.

Regarding the venue: Both MC Taylor (front man of Hiss Golden Messenger) and Patterson made a point of thanking WXPN for the station's huge support over the years. I have no idea what's to become of the Queen after XPN and World Cafe are no longer affiliated with it, but it's kinda sad because man, it is truly a beautiful room and a high quality venue. It's only 30 minutes from Philly and I've seen some really good shows there. I'll miss it (was kinda surprised that Patterson didn't play After the Scene Dies).

Finally, I want to acknowledge Hiss Golden Messenger which for my money was the best DBT opener I've seen in quite some time. Those guys have such soul and they can flat out play. In fact, the best musician I saw last night wasn't in DBT - it was HGM's Phil Cook. If you think Jay Gonzalez is a swiss army knife on stage, then you need to see Phil Cook play. He sang, played keyboards, played harmonica while playing keyboards, played and fucking jammed on three different guitars (including a cool mini hollow body on which he played slide), and he also played keys for DBT on Hell No. He looks totally unassuming but make no mistake - he is an absolute fucking monster. Only two other people I've seen come to mind in terms of being so multi-talented on the stage: Kathleen Edwards who sings like an angel and played guitars, violin and piano, and also Anders Parker who was a revelation on that New Multitudes tour a few years ago. Just fantastic.

With Phil Cook on keyboards:
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

phungi

Post by phungi »

Probably coming off a bit more "curmudgeon" than "comic", as none of it really bothered me. That said, I can think if a few handfuls of slower Cooley songs that would be much more welcome than First Air of Autumn.
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

brett27295 wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Unless you're at a punk show, I think one can pretty much expect the occasional slow one. In DBT's case, not only are some of them fan favorites, but I think the band generally does a good job of managing the flow and momentum of the set. Sometimes the segue into or out of the slow ones seems abrupt but most often they manage to make the whole thing flow quite well. Another subtle but real ability that distinguishes DBT from the pack. Particularly impressive in that they manage it w/out a setlist and do it more or less by "feel." It's also another example of how Hood & Cooley play off each other and I think a pretty fascinating one.
I generally agree. However, I saw them in Charlotte once when they opened with 4-5 slow songs in a row that was kind of a downer. I think even Patterson eventually realized it because after about the 5th slow song in a row he said "Let's play some big-titted rock and roll" and roared into Lookout Mountain.
Set lists are tricky that way, even more so when you're making them up on the fly. I think My Morning Jacket is the best live band on the planet, but last time I saw them they had a string of songs about 2/3 through the set (I Will Sing You Songs/Knot Comes Loose/Only Memories Remain) where the energy kinda got sucked out of the room.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

^^^^ Fully support Clams remark about HGM and Phil Cook above. I had the pleasure of seeing both "acts" a little less than a year in between, at a club here in Oslo, and I was completely blown away both times by the musicianship of both ensembles. Not in a flashy way, but just so consistently solid and to the point throughout their sets.

And to bring things back to DBT again. I don't mind the occasional minor 'dud' here and there. Its part of the game when doing a non-pre-produced and "unrehearsed" show every night. Calculated Risk I suppose, and may actually be one of the elements that helps keeping things a little "dangerous" and "on the edge".
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

On the slow songs, as a long retired drummer, EZB bangs the shit out of those cans and occasionally needs a break.
Dave

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Yes Cooley was slightly out of it and botched First Air of Autumn. But, he did fine with all the other songs and his part in the Jeff Sessions bit was priceless. If you love punk rock, these are the moments you treasure.

guitarmanmcs

Post by guitarmanmcs »

Any word of a recording?

countfeed

Post by countfeed »

My photos from this incredible show are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/countfeed ... 1201711221