NY shows

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

uncle rickey

Re: NY shows

Post by uncle rickey »

Surrender Under Protest
Darkened Flags on the Cusp of Dawn
Women Without Whiskey
The Living Bubba
Filthy and Fried
Ever South
Where the Devil Don't Stay
Lookout Mountain
Gravity's Gone
Sinkhole
Uncle Frank
The Guns of Umpqua
Ramon Casiano
The Company I Keep
Kinky Hypocrite
What It Means
Once They Banned Imagine
Let There Be Rock
Shut Up and Get on the Plane
Zip City
Hell No, I Ain't Happy-->
Sign O' the Times-->
Hell No, I Ain't Happy
Rockin' in the Free World*

*w/Sean Dylan, Henry Barbe, Kyle Craft, and featuring Patterson leading a R-E-S-I-S-T chant

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

They came. They saw. They conquered. Neither New York City nor Drive By Truckers may ever be the same. Yeah, this was one of those nights, one of those transcendent moments that IS rock n' roll, the kind of night that can save your life whether you're 14 or 40 or, ummm, much older than that. I will no doubt babble on at some length, but really, it all comes down to this: Right now, nothing makes me happier, nothing makes me feel better, nothing lets me get outside myself more than the rock show hitting on all cylinders.

The night started off very much on the right foot when I turned the corner on to 11th street and saw the marquee: "Drive By Truckers/ Sold Out." Fuck yeah. Selling out a 1,500 person capacity venue in the big city should put a smile on anyone's face and it seemed like both the band and the fans realized it. The energy level started high and blasted off from there, w/ tons of synergy between band & fans. At several points the crowd was as loud or louder than any similar sized audience I've been a part of. Most of the audience seemed to know most of the songs and the sing alongs were LOUD and on the money. One of the coolest moments along those lines was when a good two thirds or so of the New York audience audience sang the second "no matter where we are we're ever south." And at the end, during and after "Rockin in the Free World it was easy to see that the band knew it had killed it and they were damn happy and proud of it. A great moment.

And oh yes they were hitting on all cylinders from the very start. If the new songs are not fully realized, they're pretty damn close. It's amazing how far they've come in just a few months (since I last saw the band, longer since the originals were recorded). In general they rock harder but even more, they sound complete, like the band knows exactly what it wants to say and how to say it "Ever South" somehow managed to sound more rockier and "harder" w/ what seemed to me to be a more spare arrangements w/ fewer notes. Not sure how that happens but it sounds terrific. I get such a kick out of all the band members lined up 4 across singing choruses, but for sure it's most effective on "Surrender Under Protest". Powerful. "Kinky Hypocrite" sounded to me like I imagine it would have sounded to be in that legendary club in Toronto or western Mass in the early 70's when the Stones did those sneak preview shows at the start of tours. I mean this was down and dirty, greasy rock n roll the way it's meant to be played. Great, great stuff.

Just to get it out of the way, the "Hell No/"Sign"/"Hell No"/"Rockin in the Free World" closing was whatever comes after outstanding, spectacular, fantastic...

I don't know if I'll still think so a week or a year from now, but right now I absolutely believe and can say straight out that "Uncle Frank" is as good as "This Land is Your Land". It's long been a fan favorite and highly admired by one and all, but in the current environment that sucker just resonates and resonates and resounds and grows and hits hard right in the gut and the heart.

"The Company I Keep" into "Kinky Hypocrite" was one of the more amusing pairings I can think of in recent memory :)

"Gravity's Gone" rocked hard yet somehow sprouted a kind of country edge or finish that sounded great to these ears.

As I said, this was a high energy show from the get go, but I thought things hit another level w/ "Where the Devil Don't Stay" and that's when I was 100% sure that the night was going to be special.

I am totally blanking on the song now, but there was one song where all 4 singers were singing and they did a totally new (to me) harmony on the chorus of one of the songs. It was awesome but I just can't remember the song. GGGRRRRR. Similarly Jay had a couple of extra special keyboard solos; one was on "The Company I Keep" but I can't remember the other. Do yourself a favor at your next rock show: Pick a random moment and just focus on Matt's playing. Guaranteed to bring a smile and have your head nodding or your money back. Some of Matt's influences, like Duck Dunn and David Hood are pretty obvious but a part of me suspects that if Matt could be anyone it would be Bootsy Collins :)

The only thing wrong w/ "Let There Be Rock" was that it was too short. When Patterson not only nails it but times it just right w/in the overall set, that song packs an incredible punch. Actually, nailing it doesn't quite describe the level of overdrive the song hit.

Patterson gave a pretty fucking fiery motherfucking angry expletive filled fucking intro to "What It Means" and followed w/ an equally fiery rendition.

The older songs have gained additional power from their current context, both in terms of set list and the wider world. Lines like "Tell me how to tell the difference between what they tell me is the truth or a lie/ Tell me why the ones who have so much make the ones who don't go mad" and much of "The Living Bubba" just leap out at the listener as do stories like "Sinkhole" and "Uncle Frank.".

Speaking of leaping out, the sound was incredibly good. Just terrific.

I could wax ecstatic for another hour or 2 but I think that's enough for now. A great, great night and while I greedily would have been thrilled to hear another 30 or 60 minutes worth, truth be told, the band everything out there in 2 pretty much perfect hours and I can't believe anyone left less than fully satisfied. I know that the newbies in my group were pretty much dazed (in a good way) and I will say that not a single person left the venue before the final note.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

^^^^My expectations for HC just upped 5 notches!

thank you BTB.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Hell yes BTB! What a great write-up. And when combined with Jonicont's sold out photo (the place is packed!)....BOOM.

Clams

Post by Clams »

ramonz wrote:Hell yes BTB! What a great write-up.
x2
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Always go to the show

Clams

Post by Clams »

Jonicont wrote: Image
^^^^^ that's a lotta white dudes
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

RMD

Post by RMD »

What a night. That and what Beantown stated.

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

Yeah, not going to go on and on after Beantown pretty much nailed it (and so good to meet you!), but a truly special night. Great sound, best sustained energy I've ever seen in an NYC show from band and audience, and back and forth. Such a great community, and what a way to commence my DBT show attendance with two amazing gigs. I know "hitting the note" is an Allman Bros. concept, but man, it was HIT.

(And I am sure I'll get to hear "A Ghost to Most" some day... :) )
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

wordmeester

Post by wordmeester »

Were the tapers at work at Webster Hall?

Can't help but think that Homecoming could be EPIC...

Yaz Rock

Post by Yaz Rock »

Great review BTB, thanks! Pretty much in full agreement. I didn't sense anything great out of the gate but the show "kicked in" for me with the Living Bubba, a favorite of mine which I had not heard live before (This being my 6th time, dating back to 2013, seeing DBT). Following up that song with Filthy and Fried, another favorite, was sublime. Gravity's Gone is one of those songs I got hooked on after my first show, but I think it has been a while since I've heard them play it in concert. Nice to hear it again. Yes, I also noticed the four guys lining up for vocals and I thought that was cool. Darned if I can remember which song now too, but it was later in the set, I recall. Rockin' In the Free World was another all-time concert moment. I''ve probably heard Pearl Jam play it a dozen times or so, so it feels like "their" song to me now, but DBT's version was unexpected and kickass. Here's RITFW from my tape.

Yes, it seemed like Jay had some extra flourishes compared to the last time I saw the band, or maybe that was because I was right in front of him (and his monitor). Actually, I was very surprised at how good the mix sounded up front - usually Webster Hall's mix is terribly bassy and some of the band members are inaudible if they're far enough away. That was the case in Kyle Craft's set when I couldn't hear the two guys on the far right, but thankfully Cooley's guitar was discernible during DBT's set. The vocals were especially clear all across the board.

Let There Be Rock included a nice acknowledgment to Kyle Craft and his band, a mention to NYC and "I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd, and I never saw the Clash, but I saw the Replacements about seven times."

Nice to meet you Uncle Ricky and Cooley Girl, thanks for introducing yourself!

Rob

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

So, even without this being a show of rarities, oldies or even longer than normal, the energy of this show AND of the sold out crowd made this one of the more special DBT shows I've seen. The set list doesn't do the impact of the show justice.

THEY JUST KILLED IT!!

The fully engaged sold out crowd ate it up and I haven't seen so many young newbies singing along to every word from AB ever. Just a super special night and a helluva appetizer for Homecoming. God bless DBT.

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

Yaz Rock wrote:...but the show "kicked in" for me with the Living Bubba, a favorite of mine which I had not heard live before (This being my 6th time, dating back to 2013, seeing DBT).
From that moment on, pure sublime. And I think we were feet apart, so the comments on the sound were right on. Unusually good sound for WH.
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

glennrwordman wrote:
I'm sure you'll hear it in Ath....oh, wait. Never mind. :)
Last edited by one belt loop on Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

wordmeester wrote:Were the tapers at work at Webster Hall?

Can't help but think that Homecoming could be EPIC...
Big Tom was taping.

- bubba

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

This show was high up on a long list of sublime shows. Started out high energy and went up from there.

I'm pretty sure the song with the extra singers was "Shut Up and Get On the Plane".

- bubba

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

good thread. special hat tip, btb.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

beantownbubba wrote:They came. They saw. They conquered. Neither New York City nor Drive By Truckers may ever be the same. Yeah, this was one of those nights, one of those transcendent moments that IS rock n' roll, the kind of night that can save your life whether you're 14 or 40 or, ummm, much older than that. I will no doubt babble on at some length, but really, it all comes down to this: Right now, nothing makes me happier, nothing makes me feel better, nothing lets me get outside myself more than the rock show hitting on all cylinders.

The night started off very much on the right foot when I turned the corner on to 11th street and saw the marquee: "Drive By Truckers/ Sold Out." Fuck yeah. Selling out a 1,500 person capacity venue in the big city should put a smile on anyone's face and it seemed like both the band and the fans realized it. The energy level started high and blasted off from there, w/ tons of synergy between band & fans. At several points the crowd was as loud or louder than any similar sized audience I've been a part of. Most of the audience seemed to know most of the songs and the sing alongs were LOUD and on the money. One of the coolest moments along those lines was when a good two thirds or so of the New York audience audience sang the second "no matter where we are we're ever south." And at the end, during and after "Rockin in the Free World it was easy to see that the band knew it had killed it and they were damn happy and proud of it. A great moment.

And oh yes they were hitting on all cylinders from the very start. If the new songs are not fully realized, they're pretty damn close. It's amazing how far they've come in just a few months (since I last saw the band, longer since the originals were recorded). In general they rock harder but even more, they sound complete, like the band knows exactly what it wants to say and how to say it "Ever South" somehow managed to sound more rockier and "harder" w/ what seemed to me to be a more spare arrangements w/ fewer notes. Not sure how that happens but it sounds terrific. I get such a kick out of all the band members lined up 4 across singing choruses, but for sure it's most effective on "Surrender Under Protest". Powerful. "Kinky Hypocrite" sounded to me like I imagine it would have sounded to be in that legendary club in Toronto or western Mass in the early 70's when the Stones did those sneak preview shows at the start of tours. I mean this was down and dirty, greasy rock n roll the way it's meant to be played. Great, great stuff.

Just to get it out of the way, the "Hell No/"Sign"/"Hell No"/"Rockin in the Free World" closing was whatever comes after outstanding, spectacular, fantastic...

I don't know if I'll still think so a week or a year from now, but right now I absolutely believe and can say straight out that "Uncle Frank" is as good as "This Land is Your Land". It's long been a fan favorite and highly admired by one and all, but in the current environment that sucker just resonates and resonates and resounds and grows and hits hard right in the gut and the heart.

"The Company I Keep" into "Kinky Hypocrite" was one of the more amusing pairings I can think of in recent memory :)

"Gravity's Gone" rocked hard yet somehow sprouted a kind of country edge or finish that sounded great to these ears.

As I said, this was a high energy show from the get go, but I thought things hit another level w/ "Where the Devil Don't Stay" and that's when I was 100% sure that the night was going to be special.

I am totally blanking on the song now, but there was one song where all 4 singers were singing and they did a totally new (to me) harmony on the chorus of one of the songs. It was awesome but I just can't remember the song. GGGRRRRR. Similarly Jay had a couple of extra special keyboard solos; one was on "The Company I Keep" but I can't remember the other. Do yourself a favor at your next rock show: Pick a random moment and just focus on Matt's playing. Guaranteed to bring a smile and have your head nodding or your money back. Some of Matt's influences, like Duck Dunn and David Hood are pretty obvious but a part of me suspects that if Matt could be anyone it would be Bootsy Collins :)

The only thing wrong w/ "Let There Be Rock" was that it was too short. When Patterson not only nails it but times it just right w/in the overall set, that song packs an incredible punch. Actually, nailing it doesn't quite describe the level of overdrive the song hit.

Patterson gave a pretty fucking fiery motherfucking angry expletive filled fucking intro to "What It Means" and followed w/ an equally fiery rendition.

The older songs have gained additional power from their current context, both in terms of set list and the wider world. Lines like "Tell me how to tell the difference between what they tell me is the truth or a lie/ Tell me why the ones who have so much make the ones who don't go mad" and much of "The Living Bubba" just leap out at the listener as do stories like "Sinkhole" and "Uncle Frank.".

Speaking of leaping out, the sound was incredibly good. Just terrific.

I could wax ecstatic for another hour or 2 but I think that's enough for now. A great, great night and while I greedily would have been thrilled to hear another 30 or 60 minutes worth, truth be told, the band everything out there in 2 pretty much perfect hours and I can't believe anyone left less than fully satisfied. I know that the newbies in my group were pretty much dazed (in a good way) and I will say that not a single person left the venue before the final note.
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

one belt loop wrote:
glennrwordman wrote:
I'm sure you'll hear it in Ath....oh, wait. Never mind. :)
CRUEL. Cruel, but fair point!!

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

After reading reviews of the past few shows my anticipation for this years Homecoming is off the charts.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

RMD

Post by RMD »

So I have had a day or so to fully digest this show so to speak. It will go in my top three DBT shows easily. Maybe higher. I was further back on the floor, it was packed, but the sound was fantastic where we where. As beantown stated the energy between audience and band was like something I have never seen. We had a first timer in tow and he just stood shaking his head the whole night. Later all he could muster was "powerful ". I was concerned about any curfew with the dance crowd deal but it was not an issue. I was drained, drunk, probably wouldn't have made another hour. What a blast, thanks DBT.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Anyone find a taper link for this show yet? Sounds like required prep for Homecoming.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

It was a fantastic show. I said shortly after they started, "it looks like Cooley's a little ripped tonight. Those nights are usually great shows. Hold on." And it lived up to that early proclamation. As was noted earlier, this was the best sound I've ever heard at Webster, and I was even one row back from the rail and it still sounded great there.

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

Jonicont wrote:Image
That's my valentine rocking out, fist in the air, on the rail. I'm behind her, looking in the Patterson/Jay direction.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

pearlysnaps wrote:
Jonicont wrote:Image
That's my valentine rocking out, fist in the air, on the rail. I'm behind her, looking in the Patterson/Jay direction.
Put that up just for her. Sorry we didn't connect
Always go to the show

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

Awesome! Thanks, John. I was hoping I'd see you to say hello. At least we all got a fantastic show though.

Yaz Rock

Post by Yaz Rock »

Tape details posted at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8259