St. Louis 1/27/17

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

BB Coach

St. Louis 1/27/17

Post by BB Coach »

The Pageant, St. Louis, 1/27/17

Surrender Under Protest
Darkened Flags on the Cusp of Dawn
Shit Shots Count
Sink Hole
Filthy and Fried
Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife
Uncle Frank
Guns of Umpqua
Ramon Casiano
Lookout Mountain
First Air of Autumn
What It Means
When They Banned Imagine
Baggage
Gravity's Gone
Ronnie and Neil
Kinky Hypocrite
Company I Keep
Women Without Whiskey
Pauline Hawkins
Marry Me
Let There Be Rock
Zip City
Get Your Ass on the Plane
Hell No I Aint Happy/Sign O the Times

25 songs/ 2 hr. 15 mins
Highlights for me: Everything before the new album. The band/crowd seemed to be having more fun with the older stuff. Great second half of the show.
Cooley (blue), Pat (gold), and Jay (white) all played what looked like brand new, new model Fender guitars. Anybody know any story on that or did they just all go shopping at the Fender store together? Anyway they sounded great and Cooley played his for probably 8 or 10 songs.

Beaverdam

Re: St. Louis 1/27/17

Post by Beaverdam »

BB Coach, I wish I'd met you.

My father-in-law and I arrived late (for us) but in time to get a good spot on the rail..partially thanks to friendly railbirds! Not as much chatter from the band as I might have expected last night. I wasn't sure if Patterson might have had a head cold or if this was an effect of the sound where I was standing. After our arrival the rail was full but still lots of room but that changed quickly. I only left the rail once because I had such difficulty navigating the crowd.

We had a post show dinner with JR29 at a great diner down the street from the Pagent. I was hungry, but my corndog was good enough to inspire a song!

Pauline Hawkins has been stuck in my head today. Jay's keys really shine on that one. I've said it before, but I love watching him play keys while wearing a guitar.

Toward the end of the show Patterson and jay held their guitars in the air and bumped them together....the lights at the pagent did something cool at this point (a lightening effect). I guess this had to be pre-planned for the light effect but it was still pretty cool!

The Moonrise hotel next door was very convenient! Last night was a great appetizer for Homcoming in a few weeks!

BB Coach

Post by BB Coach »

Beaverdam wrote:BB Coach, I wish I'd met you.

My father-in-law and I arrived late (for us) but in time to get a good spot on the rail..partially thanks to friendly railbirds! Not as much chatter from the band as I might have expected last night. I wasn't sure if Patterson might have had a head cold or if this was an effect of the sound where I was standing. After our arrival the rail was full but still lots of room but that changed quickly. I only left the rail once because I had such difficulty navigating the crowd.

We had a post show dinner with JR29 at a great diner down the street from the Pagent. I was hungry, but my corndog was good enough to inspire a song!

Pauline Hawkins has been stuck in my head today. Jay's keys really shine on that one. I've said it before, but I love watching him play keys while wearing a guitar.

Toward the end of the show Patterson and jay held their guitars in the air and bumped them together....the lights at the pagent did something cool at this point (a lightening effect). I guess this had to be pre-planned for the light effect but it was still pretty cool!

The Moonrise hotel next door was very convenient! Last night was a great appetizer for Homcoming in a few weeks!
We were probably right in your vacinity. My wife, daughter, and a few friends were one person back from the rail in between Jay and Patterson. A nod to Tequila as we had Pi Pizza pre show (one of our favs as well). And got to meet Porkulator and wife before the show and had a great conversation. We have never stayed at Moonrise but would sure consider if price is right. We always stay at Holiday Inn Express by the hospital on Lindell.10 mins. I also loved the guitar "explosion" near the end and thought the light/fog show was exceptional. And as stated previous, I loved the new Fender guitars. Gave a new sound to some old songs. And a first with for us with Two Daughters. On to Iowa City tonight.

porkulator

Post by porkulator »

The wife and I were very lucky to see the Ryman show,lucky as we got stood up by a hotel shuttle and barely got parked and in for the start of Kyle Crafts show. The Pageant show was our second DBT show there and the first time ever we've left before the show was over.Had to cut out after they banned imagine.The crowd was just too much. I can't understand why they wouldn't open the balcony to relieve some of the overcrowding.It was nice to meet the BB Coach and Goose and his wife though.
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

porkulator wrote:The wife and I were very lucky to see the Ryman show,lucky as we got stood up by a hotel shuttle and barely got parked and in for the start of Kyle Crafts show. The Pageant show was our second DBT show there and the first time ever we've left before the show was over.Had to cut out after they banned imagine.The crowd was just too much. I can't understand why they wouldn't open the balcony to relieve some of the overcrowding.It was nice to meet the BB Coach and Goose and his wife though.
The crowd was absolutely too much. You could barely move.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

And for the second year in a row Mike heidorn, former Uncle tupelo and Son Volt drummer, was on the rail and rocking harder than anyone in the place.

Clams

Post by Clams »

porkulator wrote:The wife and I were very lucky to see the Ryman show,lucky as we got stood up by a hotel shuttle and barely got parked and in for the start of Kyle Crafts show. The Pageant show was our second DBT show there and the first time ever we've left before the show was over.Had to cut out after they banned imagine.The crowd was just too much. I can't understand why they wouldn't open the balcony to relieve some of the overcrowding.It was nice to meet the BB Coach and Goose and his wife though.
That sucks. The same thing happened to me and my wife at a Go Go Boots era show at the 930 Club in Washington. Leaving was 100% the right thing to do but I still haven't forgotten the shitty feeling of leaving a DBT show in the middle of Play It All Night Long, lol.
If you don't run you rust

porkulator

Post by porkulator »

Clams wrote:
That sucks. The same thing happened to me and my wife at a Go Go Boots era show at the 930 Club in Washington. Leaving was 100% the right thing to do but I still haven't forgotten the shitty feeling of leaving a DBT show in the middle of Play It All Night Long, lol.
That is exactly right.Just the shittiest feeling I've ever felt (musically speaking). Especially when we enjoyed the last trip there so much.St Louis is right on the edge of our driving range so I guess I wont be wondering if I can swing it next time.
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

porkulator wrote:
Clams wrote:
That is exactly right.Just the shittiest feeling I've ever felt (musically speaking). Especially when we enjoyed the last trip there so much.St Louis is right on the edge of our driving range so I guess I wont be wondering if I can swing it next time.
Friday night's show was the fourth DBT show I've seen at the Pageant and the first I've had a single complaint about. Keeping the balcony closed was ridiculous.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

The Peacock Diner...it was awesome. A great late night meal!
Beaverdam wrote:BB Coach, I wish I'd met you.

chitowntrucker

Post by chitowntrucker »

We were on the dance floor about 4 rows deep from the stage a little closer to Cooley. While the floor was certainly crowded I had zero issues getting out to use the bathroom or get a drink at the bar. While opening the balcony would have made it less crowded I think it would take away from the energy and intimacy of the crowd/band vibe. This is my 3rd (maybe 4th?) DBT Pageant show in a row and I don't think they have ever had the balcony open for DBT. I don't think it was even open for the Old 97's/DBT double bill which in theory should have had a larger crowd. They all end up blending together a bit in my mind though.

Clams

Post by Clams »

BB Coach wrote: Cooley (blue), Pat (gold), and Jay (white) all played what looked like brand new, new model Fender guitars. Anybody know any story on that or did they just all go shopping at the Fender store together? Anyway they sounded great and Cooley played his for probably 8 or 10 songs.
Anyone have photos of those new guitars?
If you don't run you rust

chitowntrucker

Post by chitowntrucker »

Clams wrote:
BB Coach wrote: Cooley (blue), Pat (gold), and Jay (white) all played what looked like brand new, new model Fender guitars. Anybody know any story on that or did they just all go shopping at the Fender store together? Anyway they sounded great and Cooley played his for probably 8 or 10 songs.

I have a decent one of Cooley's but for the life of me I can't figure out how to post a pic to this board.

gepman

Post by gepman »

Clams wrote:
Scroll through these pics... Both MC and PH are sporting theirs.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/indieimag ... 099060064/

By the way, great shots...

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

gepman wrote:
Clams wrote:
Scroll through these pics... Both MC and PH are sporting theirs.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/indieimag ... 099060064/

By the way, great shots...
Cooley seems to be playing a Jazzmaster (The American Professional - Mystic Seafom color?). I believe PH is playing a Jaguar Johnny Marr signature model (based on the colour and pick up selector). I believe he was playing the same guitar on the NPR(?) show from around the album release.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Fender sponsorship. Looks like they invested wisely. Folks are noticing
Always go to the show