Isbell on stage with DBT tonight at the Ryman?

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

armPitt

Isbell on stage with DBT tonight at the Ryman?

Post by armPitt »

Anyone go to the Rock Show tonight at the Ryman? Did Jason join the band for a song or two? I'm hearing rumblings that he played during Heathens.

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: Isbell on stage with DBT tonight at the Ryman?

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

armPitt wrote:Anyone go to the Rock Show tonight at the Ryman? Did Jason join the band for a song or two? I'm hearing rumblings that he played during Heathens.
I did not go but per one of the DBT's FB groups there is video of him sitting in on "Heathens."

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Thanks for that LB. My favorite way to see Jason!
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

gepman

Post by gepman »

Awesome, thanks for sharing.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks for posting the video LB. All kinds of awesome. Best thing that's happened to me all day.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Will

Post by Will »

Man. Watching this sure does put me in a good mood.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

That makes me so happy, even if Isbell never learned to sing harmony.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Agerst1574

Post by Agerst1574 »

Great opening show of the tour last night. It is interesting how Isbell can sell out four nights at the Ryman while DBT had lots of empty seats last night. The Isbell appearance was nice but was only one of the highlights including a fierce State Trooper and the one-two punch of Hell No.... into Rocking In The Free World.

I was curious how the band was going to handle the death of Butch Trucks and they did it in the best way possible by mentioning the influence of the Allman Brothers and then breaking in a killer version of Let There Be Rock.

A quick note. I flew in for the weekend to see this show from NYC and ran into a friend of mine who is a club owner in Nashville. He told me that he was going over to the Basement East after the show as Alice Cooper was going to perform four songs with his bass player's band. By the time we got there, Alice was in the middle of "School's Out" which was the last song of the set. Would have loved to have seen him do "I'm Eighteen" but it was not to be. But a really fun night in Nashville.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I know Heathens is Jason's favorite (that's the song he's sat in with them on a few times), but damn, wouldn't you just love to hear him rip into that Devil Don't Stay riff?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

LBRod wrote:
Damn, that is awesome. Made my day.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

Zip City wrote:I know Heathens is Jason's favorite (that's the song he's sat in with them on a few times), but damn, wouldn't you just love to hear him rip into that Devil Don't Stay riff?
YES! It seems like whenever he guests, it's usually "Heathens." I'm cool with that but it would be nice to see a rocker. I'd really love to see them do one of Jason's songs. I'm getting greedy, though. Great to see the guest slot even happen. It was pretty cool seeing him get big hugs from everyone at the end. :)

Eem

Post by Eem »

Zip City wrote:I know Heathens is Jason's favorite (that's the song he's sat in with them on a few times), but damn, wouldn't you just love to hear him rip into that Devil Don't Stay riff?
It's the DBT song that misses him the most. I prefer Jay's version to Neff's, but neither touches Jason's

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:That makes me so happy, even if Isbell never learned to sing harmony.
:lol:

Seriously though if that doesn't make you happy you ain't no Heathen. :D
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

To be fair, it's tough to harmonize with Patterson because he frequently strays from the melody that's on the records
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

...Why, yes I would. Definitely!

glennrwordman

Post by glennrwordman »

That was really lovely and heart-warming. So clear that there is a lot of love there for each other.
I’d have a lot of nerve to go feigning shock and outrage/If I'd been my example I’d be worse

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Rolling Stone has taken an interest in last night's reunion

http://www.rollingstone.com/country/new ... le-w463370

If there was bad blood between the two songwriters upon Isbell's exit from the group in 2007, it's all water under the bridge now, with the video above showcasing a pair of Americana kingpins who have made amends as they continue to make career-defining music.

Clams

Post by Clams »

I recall reading something a while back where he said the two dbt songs he misses playing on the most are Heathens and Zip City. So I guess that's why those get played when he sits in.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

With A Little Help From Jason Isbell, Drive-By Truckers Deliver Scorching Set At The Ryman

Seeing Isbell onstage with Hood and Mike Cooley, it was remarkable to consider that an American band once featured three songwriters of such prowess and talent, with each possessing a distinct vibe and authorial voice, operating as a collective whole.

But as cool as the Isbell appearance was Thursday night, the band was doing just fine on its own. Hood has remarked in interviews that this is one of his favorite iterations of the Truckers, who seem recommitted and charged with newfound purpose. Thursday night’s show sported an intensity and fire reminiscent of some of their shows in the early aughts, albeit with less whiskey flowing on the stage.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:With A Little Help From Jason Isbell, Drive-By Truckers Deliver Scorching Set At The Ryman

Seeing Isbell onstage with Hood and Mike Cooley, it was remarkable to consider that an American band once featured three songwriters of such prowess and talent, with each possessing a distinct vibe and authorial voice, operating as a collective whole.

But as cool as the Isbell appearance was Thursday night, the band was doing just fine on its own. Hood has remarked in interviews that this is one of his favorite iterations of the Truckers, who seem recommitted and charged with newfound purpose. Thursday night’s show sported an intensity and fire reminiscent of some of their shows in the early aughts, albeit with less whiskey flowing on the stage.
Love it - thanks for posting TC.

If you go to the "photos of the show" part of the article, it shows a few pics with PH sporting 4 buttons on his jacket, a la high school punk rock days. Anyone know what they say/said?

gepman

Post by gepman »

OK, we know they played Heathens...

Setlist anyone? Bueller?

I know it was the first show of the run, but we're slacking a bit here... :roll:

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

gepman wrote:OK, we know they played Heathens...

Setlist anyone? Bueller?

I know it was the first show of the run, but we're slacking a bit here... :roll:
Set list is in the article above.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

ramonz wrote:
gepman wrote:OK, we know they played Heathens...

Setlist anyone? Bueller?

Set list is in the article above.
I wasn't there, but I'll copy-paste for the team.

Guns of Umpqua
A Ghost to Most
Goode’s Field Road
Filthy and Fried
The Righteous Path
Kinky Hypocrite
Buttholeville
State Trooper (Bruce Springsteen cover)
Where The Devil Don’t Stay
Ever South
Made Up English Oceans
Heathens (with Jason Isbell)
Zip City
Sink Hole
First Air of Autumn
What It Means
Surrender Under Protest
Ronnie and Neil
Ramon Casiano
Let There Be Rock
Shut Up and Get on the Plane
Hell No, I Ain’t Happy
Rockin’ in the Free World (Neil Young cover)
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

litdimly

Post by litdimly »

Guilty as charged on slacking a bit…

Random observations from the show:

Kyle Craft - Wow! Oozes talent. Big, huge voice filled the Mother Church nicely. I don’t know anything about the process for choosing openers but DBT has given me many gifts through the years including this one.

Sound for DBT was not as good as I recall from the last time at the Ryman - could have been my head cold or different seat location. It wasn't bad, just not as good as my recollection (probably the damn congestion).

As mentioned in the St. Louis thread, it appears the Fender Fairy visited the band. Cooley played his for some length of time. Patterson’s went back to the rack pretty quickly which was OK by me as seeing him with his SG feels like a warm blanket to me. I didn’t see Jay with one but that doesn’t mean he didn’t play one - I may just not have noticed though I very much enjoyed watching the unassuming rock star play.

What else? I guess you heard Jason Isbell joined on Heathens.

I feel like i’m not properly conveying how much I enjoyed the show - the article TC linked covered it much better than I. Can’t get my mind around why more shows don’t sell out but I admit that I am completely biased. I’m attracted to art that I perceive to be genuine and I feel like that’s what I get with DBT, that they are all in, all heart with where they are and what they’re feeling.

David Barbe joined on Rockin’ in the Free World. He jumped in during the song. Walked out to Patterson and seemed to say “I can’t take it - I gotta play,” grabbed a guitar and got on with it, smiling all the way.

mikem

Post by mikem »

Great show as usual

My First time at the RYMAN

Sound wasn't that great

They also played Sign O the Times

Nice little road trip from Ohio

8.00 PBRs at Tootsies afterwards??

that place used to b Cool.