Chicago Show -- Feb. 2

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Mr. B

Chicago Show -- Feb. 2

Post by Mr. B »

Me and the wife will be there. Who else? Cubfan, I'm assuming you will be there. Coach, hope you make the trip.

Cubfan06

Re: Chicago Show -- Feb. 2

Post by Cubfan06 »

Hey man. I've been traveling a lot for work. Just got back from Aussie>New Zealand and I leave for China>Hong Kong a week later.

Since she has been carrying a heavy weight while I've been gone for work, I'm giving Mrs. Cubfan a break out with her girlfriends for the Vic show. She deserves it much more than me. If I decide to line up a sitter than I will go to the Vic. If not, I'll do Milwaukee the night before. So I will play this one by ear. Regardless of whether I go to the Vic or not, I'm gonna be at the Sound Opinions taping at Goose Island's Tap House from 2-3 pm since I'll be able to grab the kids from daycare in time.

Most of my crew will be there, Also, better than 2:1 odds that The Drifter is there.

A good rawk show with an anti-right wing message sounds mighty therapeutic!

BB Coach

Post by BB Coach »

Hey Mr. B
I think it has been the Bloomington, Il show since we have done a rock show....in fact that is may last one. I will not make it to the Vic even though it is one of my favorite venues. I will however be in St. Louis tomorrow and Iowa City on Sunday. Looking forward to it! On another note, Isbell will be in Peoria on May 6. Tickets on sale tomorrow.

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

Zip Up to Michigan +2

Can't wait!

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Coach, sorry I'll miss you, enjoy the shows. CubFan, the wife and I will also be in Milwaukee, so let's make sure we finally get together for that drink. First round on me.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

In.
(After my senseless long winded diatribe above)

I'll be the one with the red Icky Trump shirt.

chitowntrucker

Post by chitowntrucker »

After a solid Friday night show in STL at the Pageant a few nights ago I am ready to do it all over again on Thursday at the Vic. Nice to have a few nights in between these shows. While I like a 2 or 3 night run, logistically this is way easier to handle at this stage of my life!

Anyone going anywhere for drinks or eats pregame?
Looks like I may be meeting up with some friends at Sheffield's a couple blocks from the Vic.

Would be great to meet some people before the rock show.

chitowntrucker

Post by chitowntrucker »

BB Coach wrote:Hey Mr. B
I think it has been the Bloomington, Il show since we have done a rock show....in fact that is may last one. I will not make it to the Vic even though it is one of my favorite venues. I will however be in St. Louis tomorrow and Iowa City on Sunday. Looking forward to it! On another note, Isbell will be in Peoria on May 6. Tickets on sale tomorrow.

Is there an access code for the Isbell show in Peoria?

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

chitowntrucker wrote:After a solid Friday night show in STL at the Pageant a few nights ago I am ready to do it all over again on Thursday at the Vic. Nice to have a few nights in between these shows. While I like a 2 or 3 night run, logistically this is way easier to handle at this stage of my life!

Looks like I may be meeting up with some friends at Sheffield's a couple blocks from the Vic.

I'll be doing the Sound Opinions taping at the Goose Island Tap House from 2-3:30 pm. After that will probably stop for grub at Revolution Brewing or Cafe Ba-Ba-Reeba.

Sheffield's is a good bar. For shows at The Vic I always pregame at Matilda which is less than a block down from the venue. It opens at 5 pm. I'll likely be there about opening time.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Cubfan06 wrote:
chitowntrucker wrote:After a solid Friday night show in STL at the Pageant a few nights ago I am ready to do it all over again on Thursday at the Vic. Nice to have a few nights in between these shows. While I like a 2 or 3 night run, logistically this is way easier to handle at this stage of my life!

I'll be doing the Sound Opinions taping at the Goose Island Tap House from 2-3:30 pm. After that will probably stop for grub at Revolution Brewing or Cafe Ba-Ba-Reeba.

Sheffield's is a good bar. For shows at The Vic I always pregame at Matilda which is less than a block down from the venue. It opens at 5 pm. I'll likely be there about opening time.

Am also doing the Sound Opinions taping, but unlikely to get to the show before doors open. But I'll presumably be near the stage in Cooleyville for a pre-show drink or three.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cubfan06 wrote:

Wait. Didn't you say that you weren't going to the Vic show? Decided the kid was old enough to leave by himself, eh?

All this talk brings back memories of the October '15 shows in the Windy City. Now that was a time!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

beantownbubba wrote:
Cubfan06 wrote:

Wait. Didn't you say that you weren't going to the Vic show? Decided the kid was old enough to leave by himself, eh?

All this talk brings back memories of the October '15 shows in the Windy City. Now that was a time!
I was going to let my better half let off some steam at a Thursday night show with her DBT girlfriends. My wonderful wife, however surprised me by securing a surprise overnight sitter for the kiddos :D I'm on the loose.

Zip Up to Michigan

Doing the Sound Opinions event before the show. What time do ya'll think I should get to Goose Island to guarantee a spot? Sheffields is a cool spot but I swore I'd never return after paying $6 for a Budweiser 12oz! :shock: Matilda is a cool place, though? Being a block away can't be a bad idea.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:Doing the Sound Opinions event before the show. What time do ya'll think I should get to Goose Island to guarantee a spot? Sheffields is a cool spot but I swore I'd never return after paying $6 for a Budweiser 12oz! :shock: Matilda is a cool place, though? Being a block away can't be a bad idea.
I personally think Matilda is a good, chill spot. The only negative is that it doesn't open until 5 pm. During College Football season its a bar that University of Michigan alumni in the Chicago gather to watch games. Their grub is solid and they usually have some good craft beers on tap for $6-$7 a pull. If domestic's like Budweiser are your thing, it should be a little more reasonably priced at $4.50. Unfortunately that neighborhood which you know extends out to Wrigleyville so it isn't the cheapest place in the city to drink. But it certainly isn't the worst either. The Vic is literally less than a block down the street from Matilda as well.
http://matilda-babyatlas.com/

If you decide to go for an after-show drink, Trader Todd's is a good dive karaoke bar a block down the street on Sheffield from the Vic. I wouldn't normally advocate a karaoke bar, but the place has serious character. It is co-owned by Ogre from Revenge of The Nerds who often times is behind the bar working. In my single days, I would hit it up after Cubs game occasionally as the clientele was easy on the eyes. Indulge yourself in a shot-ski while you are there.
https://www.tradertodd.com/

In regards to the Sound Opinions event. I'm not sure when is a good time to get in to guarantee yourself a spot as I have never been to one. I assume that you registered in time to get a set of the free e-tix. It is now showing that those are sold out. If you have the e-tix and you arrive before 1:30 I believe that you shouldn't have a problem getting in. I plan to arrive about 12:30 and will grab a lunch time pint or three.

chitowntrucker

Post by chitowntrucker »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:Doing the Sound Opinions event before the show. What time do ya'll think I should get to Goose Island to guarantee a spot? Sheffields is a cool spot but I swore I'd never return after paying $6 for a Budweiser 12oz! :shock: Matilda is a cool place, though? Being a block away can't be a bad idea.

Sheffield's is also one block from the Vic, just in the other direction then Matilda. As for $6 for a bud, not sure why you'ld be ordering that at Sheffields with a beer list like theirs, see below. Also Wrigleyville, $6 buds is the norm.

http://www.sheffieldschicago.com/drink-menu/beer-menu/

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

chitowntrucker wrote:

Sheffield's is also one block from the Vic, just in the other direction then Matilda. As for $6 for a bud, not sure why you'ld be ordering that at Sheffields with a beer list like theirs, see below. Also Wrigleyville, $6 buds is the norm.

You can't argue with a $5 Gumballhead draft. That's for sure.

Zip Up to Michigan

chitowntrucker wrote:

I randomly found myself in there a couple of weeks ago pre gaming for Tedeschi Trucks Band. I just sat down with a bunch of friends who were already there and started drinking what they were, as I was looking to drink cheap. It wasn't until later when I saw a menu and realized craft was cheaper! :evil: :oops: Lesson learned. Thanks for all the info, cubfan. We are big U of M fans, so naturally we will have to hit Matilda's before the show. Excited to meet some of you Truckers at Goose Island. :mrgreen:

chitowntrucker

Post by chitowntrucker »

Tonight's schedule:

Doors- 7pm
Kyle Craft 8:15-9:00
DBT 9:30- 11:30

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

First off I'm extremely jealous of y'all. I have probably seen more overall shows in the last 30 years at the Vic than any other venue except maybe Metro and I think I've seen DBT there 8-10 times. It's not a pretty venue, the line down the stairs to bathroom can be rough, the drinks are expensive but hell, it's home. I'm sure it will be a great show so enjoy.

Here's Wes' poster for tonight and it kicks all kinds of ass

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip Up to Michigan

Sound Opinions event was great although I'm sure all of us can agree it wasn't loud enough. WTF.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:Sound Opinions event was great although I'm sure all of us can agree it wasn't loud enough. WTF.
I thought it was great -- Kot and Derogatis are smart guys, huge music geeks and big DBT fans. While those of us on the Board have probably previously heard much of what Hood and Cooley said in one form or another, it was still a high level, enjoyable discussion. We were in the front row, so we didn't have any issues with the sound. Songs played: Once they Ban Imagine, Surrender Under Protest, What it Means, Ever South.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:First off I'm extremely jealous of y'all. I have probably seen more overall shows in the last 30 years at the Vic than any other venue except maybe Metro and I think I've seen DBT there 8-10 times. It's not a pretty venue, the line down the stairs to bathroom can be rough, the drinks are expensive but hell, it's home. I'm sure it will be a great show so enjoy.

Here's Wes' poster for tonight and it kicks all kinds of ass

Going to miss you TC but we'll do our best to have a good time without you. Me and the Mrs. will likely be in Cooleyville and I'll be wearing my Cubs hat, so if any of you see me make sure you say hi.

Zip Up to Michigan

9:31

Guns of Umpqua
Ramon casiano
Darkened flags
Surrender under protest
Sink hole
3 dimes down
The living bubba
Gravitys gone
Lookout mountain
First air of autumn
What it means
Where the devil don't stay
The company I keep
Marry me
Let there be Rock
Kinky Hypocrite
Angels & Fuselage (w/Kelly Hogan)
Filthy & Fried
Righteous Path
Zip City
Hell No I Ain't Happy ->
(Sign O' the Times ) ->
Hell No I Ain't Happy
Keep On Rockin' in the Free World

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote: Angels & Fuselage (w/Kelly Hogan)
Nice!!
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Thanks for the set list!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I know they're touring behind a new album but are the set lists becoming more structured with less variation show to show?
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Gaetzi wrote:I know they're touring behind a new album but are the set lists becoming more structured with less variation show to show?
I think only in the fact that the openers since the Fall have been from American Band and they've been closing with Hell No almost every night. Everything in between still seems fairly random with the usual suspects showing up more often than not. I saw them this Fall for 2 nights in Asheville and 2 nights in Richmond and each show was quite varied from the night before both in setlist and feel.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

That could well be- and I definitely didn't mean to come in here and shit on anyone's parade. Just an observation
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:9:31

Guns of Umpqua
Ramon casiano
Darkened flags
Surrender under protest
Sink hole
3 dimes down
The living bubba
Gravitys gone
Lookout mountain
First air of autumn
What it means
Where the devil don't stay
The company I keep
Marry me
Let there be Rock
Kinky Hypocrite
Angels & Fuselage (w/Kelly Hogan)
Filthy & Fried
Righteous Path
Zip City
Hell No I Ain't Happy ->
(Sign O' the Times ) ->
Hell No I Ain't Happy
Keep On Rockin' in the Free World

One of my favorite shows in 15 years of seeing every Chicago show. The boys hit the stage firing on all cylinders and kept their foot on the gas all night. Even by Chicago standards it was a large, incredibly enthusiastic crowd and I think the band feed off of that. For whatever reason, and maybe it was just me, I sensed that the band was trying to convey its political message more emphatically than the other shows I have seen on this tour. Great meeting and hanging out what the boys from Michigan and seeing a few other familiar faces.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

TruckerTomer wrote:
Zip Up to Michigan wrote: Angels & Fuselage (w/Kelly Hogan)
Nice!!

I adore Kelly Hogan.
Keep calm and have a cigar