Do Kings of Leon and DBT have history?

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Duke Silver

Re: Do Kings of Leon and DBT have history?

Post by Duke Silver »

ain't no static on the gospel radio

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

not a kol apologist or doubting caleb's level of pussyness, but i saw them several years ago and they put on a damn fine rawk show. damn fine! as far as the comments made by the cuz/bro, i see both sides. tough to justify publicly throwing a co-worker under the bus. but my bro & i still get in each other's grill if we spend too much time together.
Having a broken heart wears you out.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Years ago, I used to go see Johnny Thunders. When you went to a Johnny Thunders show there was a one in three chance of one of the following happening:

1) He would find whatever he needed to "get straight" and deliver a kickass, raw, punky rock show that few others could ever touch.

2) He'd imbide a little to much or the wrong combination and deliver a sloppy set but the between song insults and crowd baiting were priceless. "Why doncha you home and s@$c your mothers c$#k ya f'ing douchebags."

3) We would take way too much, enough to kill an ordinary person, but fearing that he wouldn't get paid, he would stagger onstage, spend ten minutes trying to plug his patch chord into his amp before puking all over himself. Then he'd stagger to the microphone and say, "Aghhh ahhh arrrr, shit, blow me" and collapse to the floor.

No one in the audience ever complained because we had convinced ourselves that we were seeing a legend and today, when among rock geeks, claiming that you saw Johnny Thunders pass out on the stage still carries a certain amount of awe among those who never got to see one of the founders of punk rock. We paid our money, took our chances and didn't complain.

But Kings of Leon are no Johnny Thunders. They charge way too much money for their shows to pull this crap. And besides, they do not have that panache that Johnny had. After all, he did inspire Paul Westerberg to write "Johnny's Gonna Die". All KOL will inspire is someone to write a song like Lucinda William's "Hey Little Rock Star".

And publically calling out DBT after that Spin review in '04 is inexcusable. Yes, there is a tradition in rock when it comes to calling out someone else. But it has to be done the way Keith Richards called out Elton John after the remake of "Candle in The Wind" when Keef said, "He's made a career out of writing love songs about dead blondes." But all KOL could come up with is bitching about being included in the same review and calling referring to DBT as "rednecks". Whiney, snivelling little boys. Nothing funny, cool or classic about it.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Any band who had a major label deal before they could even play their instruments gets little respect in my book.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

I watched that clip. The only people I've seen spout that much bull shit at a show are Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons. But at least they mean their bullshit.

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

I watched that clip. The only people I've seen spout that much bull shit at a show are Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons. But at least they mean their bullshit.

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

mark lynn wrote:I watched that clip. The only people I've seen spout that much bull shit at a show are Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons. But at least they mean their bullshit.

...and Paul Stanley sounds good spouting it.

You know better than to get me started on Paul Stanley talk.. I was talking to somebody backstage before. Honey that ain't no pistol! Now listen PEOPLE! PEOPLE!
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

You know better than to get me started on Paul Stanley talk.. I was talking to somebody backstage before. Honey that ain't no pistol! Now listen PEOPLE! PEOPLE!

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Mark....how did your post get stuck in mine?

SmashedinNashville

Post by SmashedinNashville »

The one thing the DBTs will always have over KOL is that they are a band FOR the fans, OF the fans.
Someone else put it perfectly for me in another message board I was reading a while back. "DBT is the only band I would scrape, save or quit my job to go a see them play live." I know I am not alone. That says a lot about how loyal of a fan base they have. Not just screaming girls throwing panties around because that one guy is "SO HOT"....but a true diverse mix of people - young and old, male and female - who can quote every single song and make an effort to support the band by buying albums, artwork, show tickets, merchandise, all of it.

It may not make the band rich, which sucks for them - they deserve endless success and IMO to be inducted in the R&R Hall of Fame for their hardwork someday. But at least they aren't some passing hipster-jegging/Amish-clothes-wearing psuedo rock trend, embarrassed about where they came from (their Daddy must not have given them the speech about wearing outfits vs. plain ass clothes). And DBTs definitely don't have to hate on their peers to try and somehow prove how un-southern they are. They relish in it. They are just being who they are. That is pretty damn courageous. If someone is making fun of them or envying them for getting rave reviews, it is probably because they are insecure about their own talent and instant success.

The DBTs have been playing together for 20 years, and I guarantee they will still all be making music in some form or fashion for the next 20. KOL....not counting on them being around or relevant by next year.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Over on the alt-country.org board, one of the more hateful members (of which there are plenty) is accusing the DBTs of being a "generic" Southern Rock band. It goes without saying that this person has never bothered to listen to one note of their music. Of course, everyone has a right to their own opinion but this particular opinion sounds uninformed at the least and designed to court controversy at best.
Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Over on the alt-country.org board, one of the more hateful members (of which there are plenty) is accusing the DBTs of being a "generic" Southern Rock band. It goes without saying that this person has never bothered to listen to one note of their music. Of course, everyone has a right to their own opinion but this particular opinion sounds uninformed at best and designed to court controversy at best.

I can't handle the alt country.org board anyway.

Kudzu Guillotine

Smitty wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Over on the alt-country.org board, one of the more hateful members (of which there are plenty) is accusing the DBTs of being a "generic" Southern Rock band. It goes without saying that this person has never bothered to listen to one note of their music. Of course, everyone has a right to their own opinion but this particular opinion sounds uninformed at least and designed to court controversy at best.

Not sure why I keep returning but of the friendlier posters, there's usually some halfway decent new music recommendations. Otherwise, it seems to be about just how much vitriol one can spew at fellow members while hiding behind the anonymity of a screen name.

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Smitty wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Over on the alt-country.org board, one of the more hateful members (of which there are plenty) is accusing the DBTs of being a "generic" Southern Rock band. It goes without saying that this person has never bothered to listen to one note of their music. Of course, everyone has a right to their own opinion but this particular opinion sounds uninformed at best and designed to court controversy at best.

WOW...Just looked at alt-country.org. That mr703 dude is a character. Character=Douche.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

At Bele Chere over the weekend, Jason was poking fun at them walking off stage. He mentioned something about the heat and if that strong breeze hadnt come through, him and the boys were walking off stage. Wasnt sure what he meant, until he mentioned something about those "pentecostal boys".

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Over on the alt-country.org board, one of the more hateful members (of which there are plenty) is accusing the DBTs of being a "generic" Southern Rock band. It goes without saying that this person has never bothered to listen to one note of their music. Of course, everyone has a right to their own opinion but this particular opinion sounds uninformed at the least and designed to court controversy at best.

I lent SRO to the guitarist in one of my bands figuring it would be a slam dunk considering how big a Skynyrd fan he is. He didn't like it. Reason? He didn't like Patterson's chord changes. My thoughts were "Did he even bother to read the lyric book?"

People have different tastes for a number of reasons. Personally, I am not a huge Wilco fan. Nothing against them. I own about five of their albums and listen once in a while. But they never became a favorite of mine the way DBT, Bloodkin (recently), The Bottle Rockets and James McMurtry have. But there are people here whose music opinions I respect that regard Yankee, Hotel, Foxtrot highly.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Kudzu Guillotine

I don't think someone being a Skynyrd fan is a prerequisite for being a DBTs fan. As I've mentioned here many times before, I know of some Skynyrd fans I encountered that took Southern Rock Opera as an insult despite the dedication in the liner notes to Skynyrd. I also recall telling a friend (who's a fellow Skynyrd fan) about Southern Rock Opera when it was first released. No matter how I described it to him, he seemed unable to wrap his brain around it. He kept wondering if it was an album where they covered Skynyrd songs. I don't expect everyone to be a fan but some folks simply don't get it. In the case of some Lynyrd Skynyrd fans, Skynyrd is so sacred to them that something like Southern Rock Opera, which isn't an album of cover tunes, which actually requires them to think outside of their very narrow-minded box, is considered an insult. Then, there's folks like the douchebag on the alt-country.org board who delight in pushing people's buttons just because they get their jollies from hiding behind an anonymous screen name with no threat of reprisal.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'm a DBT fan who doesn't really care for Skynyrd, so there's that....
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Zip City wrote:I'm a DBT fan who doesn't really care for Skynyrd, so there's that....

I don't think liking Skynyrd is a prerequisite for liking DBT. They really never sounded like Skynyrd, not even on SRO. But they wrote several songs about Skynyrd on SRO. I think you can admire Skynyrd for their work ethic and what they meant to music without being a fan.

Personally, I always liked Skynyrd. Even during the mid-eighties when I would hide my Skynyrd fandom from my friends lest I lose my "indie cred". Lol, we used to worry about those things back in those days. Then that Carlucci guy from SST wrote the classic Rock and The Pop Narcotic which made it cool to like Skynyrd and ZZ Top again.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

It still ain't "cool" to like Skynyrd.

Kudzu Guillotine

I never saw the point in having any sort of "indie cred" or being ashamed of the types of music (or artists) I like. I may catch some shit for liking Jimmy Buffett or Rush but I really don't care what other people think.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I never saw the point in having any sort of "indie cred" or being ashamed of the types of music (or artists) I like. I may catch some shit for liking Jimmy Buffett or Rush but I really don't care what other people think.

It mattered to me (to a degree) for a couple years in high school, but that's it. Fuck 'em if they don't get it.

Kudzu Guillotine

Smitty wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I never saw the point in having any sort of "indie cred" or being ashamed of the types of music (or artists) I like. I may catch some shit for liking Jimmy Buffett or Rush but I really don't care what other people think.

It mattered to me (to a degree) for a couple years in high school, but that's it. Fuck 'em if they don't get it.

I've mentioned this many times before but growing up in a large family has been both a blessing and a curse (to borrow a phrase) for me. In high school, I was into Zeppelin, Skynyrd, Jethro Tull, Nantucket, Mother's Finest, etc. like most everyone else but due to being turned onto lots of other music from my older siblings, I was also into Prine, Buffett, Waylon, Willie, DAC, Little Feat, the Grateful Dead, the New Riders of the Purple Sage, Leon Russell, etc. that made me stand out like a sore thumb. I was never harassed for it though.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I don't care now but I am fully grown. It did matter to me as a teenager. In my high school there were only about 30 to 40 punks out of 2,000 plus kids. This was 1979 to 1982. We took a lot of crap for liking the bands we did, so much that we turned on most mainstream AOR bands. I remember one of my friends had a party in her yard and a bunch of jocks crashed it and started beating up the punkers, calling us "faggots" and a whole bunch of other shit. All this because we listened to The Ramones, danced to The Specials and made out to The Cure.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I don't think someone being a Skynyrd fan is a prerequisite for being a DBTs fan. As I've mentioned here many times before, I know of some Skynyrd fans I encountered that took Southern Rock Opera as an insult despite the dedication in the liner notes to Skynyrd. I also recall telling a friend (who's a fellow Skynyrd fan) about Southern Rock Opera when it was first released. No matter how I described it to him, he seemed unable to wrap his brain around it. He kept wondering if it was an album where they covered Skynyrd songs. I don't expect everyone to be a fan but some folks simply don't get it. In the case of some Lynyrd Skynyrd fans, Skynyrd is so sacred to them that something like Southern Rock Opera, which isn't an album of cover tunes, which actually requires them to think outside of their very narrow-minded box, is considered an insult. Then, there's folks like the douchebag on the alt-country.org board who delight in pushing people's buttons just because they get their jollies from hiding behind an anonymous screen name with no threat of reprisal.

Most Skynyrd fans I know have no clue :roll: when it comes to DBT. Try as I may, I just can't convert them. The only one I did convert had nothing to do
with SRO/Skynyrd. He was an amateur racer/NASCAR fan who drives fords. :D
.......................but then, most them people don't like Neil Young either.
As far as high school, only one other guy I knew listened to Neil, besides me and my older brother in law.
And I don't know anybody that listened to AC/DC (Bon) back then, unless they got in my van :lol:
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Kudzu Guillotine

I remember reading a personal account from a DBTs fan on the DBTs Yahoo group from someone that attended one of the shows where they were opening for Skynyrd. They said the Skynyrd fans were all diggin' on "The Southern Thing" and were high fivin' when they got to the line that mentions "Robert EEEEEEEEE. Lee!!" but when Patterson followed that up with "Martin Luther Kiiiiiiing!!" they all turned to one another and stared in disbelief. Sadly, it goes to show that a belief in racism is still alive and well with a great deal of the Skynyrd fanbase. Even Skynyrd themselves have remained mum on Southern Rock Opera, I believe the only official statement I've read was from Rossington, who referred to it as "weird". Then again, you have to put yourself in their shoes. I imagine it is more than a bit strange to have an album out that's largely based on your own band's history and mythology. Probably a huge reason why the original name of the album was changed from Betamax Guillotine as well.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I remember reading a personal account from a DBTs fan on the DBTs Yahoo group from someone that attended one of the shows where they were opening for Skynyrd. They said the Skynyrd fans were all diggin' on "The Southern Thing" and were high fivin' when they got to the line that mentions "Robert EEEEEEEEE. Lee!!" but when Patterson followed that up with "Martin Luther Kiiiiiiing!!" they all turned to one another and stared in disbelief. Sadly, it goes to show that a belief in racism is still alive and well with a great deal of the Skynyrd fanbase. Even Skynyrd themselves have remained mum on Southern Rock Opera, I believe the only official statement I've read was from Rossington, who referred to it as "weird". Then again, you have to put yourself in their shoes. I imagine it is more than a bit strange to have an album out that's largely based on your own band's history and mythology. Probably a huge reason why the original name of the album was changed from Betamax Guillotine as well.

I seem to remember Johnny saying something to the effect that DBT would be better if they were a lil less punk rock-ish - I do believe Artimus Pyle is a fan.

Kudzu Guillotine

Smitty wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I remember reading a personal account from a DBTs fan on the DBTs Yahoo group from someone that attended one of the shows where they were opening for Skynyrd. They said the Skynyrd fans were all diggin' on "The Southern Thing" and were high fivin' when they got to the line that mentions "Robert EEEEEEEEE. Lee!!" but when Patterson followed that up with "Martin Luther Kiiiiiiing!!" they all turned to one another and stared in disbelief. Sadly, it goes to show that a belief in racism is still alive and well with a great deal of the Skynyrd fanbase. Even Skynyrd themselves have remained mum on Southern Rock Opera, I believe the only official statement I've read was from Rossington, who referred to it as "weird". Then again, you have to put yourself in their shoes. I imagine it is more than a bit strange to have an album out that's largely based on your own band's history and mythology. Probably a huge reason why the original name of the album was changed from Betamax Guillotine as well.

I seem to remember Johnny saying something to the effect that DBT would be better if they were a lil less punk rock-ish - I do believe Artimus Pyle is a fan.

I remember reading about him being in attendance at some of the Asheville shows when Southern Rock Opera was new.

Kudzu Guillotine

I love the line from the end of this article about the trials and tribulations (to put it lightly) surrounding Fela Anikulapo-Kuti’s Coffin for Head of State that says, "Don’t you feel bad for Kings of Leon?"

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Smitty wrote:It still ain't "cool" to like Skynyrd.

And where I'm from it's never been 'uncool'.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light