Do Kings of Leon and DBT have history?

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

RevMatt

Re: Do Kings of Leon and DBT have history?

Post by RevMatt »

Smitty wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I remember reading a personal account from a DBTs fan on the DBTs Yahoo group from someone that attended one of the shows where they were opening for Skynyrd. They said the Skynyrd fans were all diggin' on "The Southern Thing" and were high fivin' when they got to the line that mentions "Robert EEEEEEEEE. Lee!!" but when Patterson followed that up with "Martin Luther Kiiiiiiing!!" they all turned to one another and stared in disbelief. Sadly, it goes to show that a belief in racism is still alive and well with a great deal of the Skynyrd fanbase. Even Skynyrd themselves have remained mum on Southern Rock Opera, I believe the only official statement I've read was from Rossington, who referred to it as "weird". Then again, you have to put yourself in their shoes. I imagine it is more than a bit strange to have an album out that's largely based on your own band's history and mythology. Probably a huge reason why the original name of the album was changed from Betamax Guillotine as well.

I seem to remember Johnny saying something to the effect that DBT would be better if they were a lil less punk rock-ish - I do believe Artimus Pyle is a fan.

I play in a Southern Rock tribute band with a couple of guys who were third tier regional southern rockers in the late seventies that achieved opening act status. I've tried to turn them onto newer stuff like DBT, Bottle Rockets, Widespread Panic, etc... I have come to the conclusion that if someone came to age before punk, post-punk and American indie then they will probably never "get" any of the newer bands other than Govt. Mule or Derek Trucks. For that generation chops and solos were everything. The guitar players in my band don't even "get" why exclusively rhythm players like Keith Richards or Lou Reed are admired for their guitar playing. To them, Paul Westerberg is not a great songwriter, just a musician with modest skills who can't even sing in tune. So, when it comes to DBT, they wouldn't understand why they even have three guitarists if they do not focus on either prolonged soloing (ala Allmans) or what I call choreographed guitar slinging (ala Outlaws, Skynyrd). The only player in the entire band they would appreciate is Neff whose skills are undeniable. But they would then complain that Neff should be featured like Duane Allman instead of being part of a multi-layered sound.

The whole phenomenon is generational. Patterson has described this in interviews when he says that the first evidence of a "generation gap" between himself and his father came when he started listening to punk. Eventually, David Hood understood punk a bit more but that probably wasn't until the late eighties or early nineties when he finally had the chance to work with some of the punk artists from the 70's and 80's. And I would assume that a Clash cd is not the first thing David Hood would reach for when he gets in the car and starts out on a two hour road trip.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Even though I'm not a fan of punk I do have an appreciation for it, whereas there are certain segments of society (and not just younger folks) that believe the Ramones, Sex Pistols, etc. have no place in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame (or music in general) for what they perceive to be a lack of musicality or technical proficiency. Those folks want to hear guitarists like Steve Vai and Joe Satriani and have an extremely low tolerance for musicians like Kurt Cobain, especially when they see him listed on "Best Guitarist Ever" type lists. For me, it was many of the artists that followed in the wake of punk rock in the late 70s and 80s that piqued my interest. Though it's definitely not true across the board, a lot of younger folks I encounter online don't have any use for new music of any kind and seem trapped into what "Classic Rock" radio plays 24/7. If they like any new music at all, they are looking for bands that are steeped in the tradition of Zep, Deep Purple, etc. It's the older listeners that seem to be more accepting of new music but even that is not true in all cases. There's quite a few of those people that are just as caught up in the past. At nearly 49 years of age, I'm not sure what separates me from the pack. I still love new music and actively seek it out. The music I grew up on forms the foundation but if that was all I ever listened to I would grow tired of it very quickly.

suntzu

Post by suntzu »

I realize I am alittle late getting in on this KOL gig, but I have to say a few things: First and foremost, I cannot even listen to KOL. I know, I am in the minority according to the Rock and Roll consumer reports magazine, Rolling Stone, but I just don't like 'em! I think DBT should be where they are, they just didn't kiss the right butt!! My Morning Jacket is some good raw shit and radio worthy and they get some play. I listen to Jam-On (sirius Xm) and do not get much DBT, but that is why I keep 2 or 3 cds in the truck( however, I do admit it doesn't sound great with the Diesel engine unless topped out in volume). IN short, I cannot even get the KOL thang and don't plan to! They suck the stanky wanky!!! :lol: :lol: :oops:

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

What's sad is a group like KOL, who had a record deal with a major label before they could even play their instruments (which you can't exactly blame them for as much as the record co. itself), get to live in million-dollar mansions and get on the cover of Rolling Stone when a band that's infinitely more talented and paid their fucking dues like the Dexateens have to pretty much hang it up to make ends meet....

Most of the gripes I have about KoL have more to do with the music industry itself than the actual Followills, but when you get to the tax bracket they're in so relatively easy compared to other musicians, I think you should atleast hold yourself with some degree of humility & respect, instead of shitting on other bands in the press & acting like a major douche to your fans time & time again...
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:What's sad is a group like KOL, who had a record deal with a major label before they could even play their instruments (which you can't exactly blame them for as much as the record co. itself), get to live in million-dollar mansions and get on the cover of Rolling Stone when a band that's infinitely more talented and paid their fucking dues like the Dexateens have to pretty much hang it up to make ends meet....

Most of the gripes I have about KoL have more to do with the music industry itself than the actual Followills, but when you get to the tax bracket they're in so relatively easy compared to other musicians, I think you should atleast hold yourself with some degree of humility & respect, instead of shitting on other bands in the press & acting like a major douche to your fans time & time again...

You know, to be fair, the first couple of albums were decent. A few good songs, some potential and then they tried really hard to get a hit and lo and behold they got one, and then another and another. After that it was all about image. That's not to say that every band that has a hit follows that path, but it does happen and it did to these guys. Then they spout off the wrong shit in the press, disrespect their own fanbase and become the kings of all douchebags.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Clams

Post by Clams »

Walls ... is the seventh studio album by American rock band Kings of Leon... The album title is an acronym for We Are Like Love Songs, which continues the band's unwritten rule of having five-syllable album titles
Wtf? Why do all the records have to have 5 syllables? Why would a group of dudes want to be like a love song and what does that mean anyway? These King Leons really piss me off, they seem like such douchebags. And I've never even heard one of their songs.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Clams wrote:
Walls ... is the seventh studio album by American rock band Kings of Leon... The album title is an acronym for We Are Like Love Songs, which continues the band's unwritten rule of having five-syllable album titles
Wtf? Why do all the records have to have 5 syllables? Why would a group of dudes want to be like a love song and what does that mean anyway? These King Leons really piss me off, they seem like such douchebags. And I've never even heard one of their songs.
i'm sure you've heard sex on fire in a grocery store at some point
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Bon Scott's AC/DC

Post by Bon Scott's AC/DC »

King's of Leon's first album is pretty good. They took what the Strokes had (the Strokes fist album was great - New Wave/Blondie, etc sound), added a bit to it... and came up with an enjoyable album. The second album wasn't as good, if I remember correctly their 4th had a few moments, but not all that hot, and around that stage they got a major makeover, a stylist, skinny jeans, etc, went mega, sold million of records, and sold out football stadiums, but were then releasing shit like Sex on Fire.

Whereas from what I can see DBT have pretty much always been great...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
I know I'm a simpleton, but if the name of the album is walls, it's a one syllable name, whatever it might stand for, and particularly if what it stands for is incoherent gobbledygook like "We Are Like Love Songs." As a certain mollusk said, "Wtf?"
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Jason Isbell once asked why he was always being asked to follow Nathan Followill. He said I wouldn't follow him to the International House of Blow Jobs. :mrgreen:
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

disgruntledgoat

Post by disgruntledgoat »

Molly's Chambers was cool. So was Pale Morning Light. Everything else, meh.

Then they hit that stage that bands on major labels always seem to when they try to sound like fucking U2. KoL combined this with dressing up like elves from Lord of the Rings. Then they sucked and sucked hard.

Bon Scott's AC/DC

Post by Bon Scott's AC/DC »

disgruntledgoat wrote:Molly's Chambers was cool. So was Pale Morning Light. Everything else, meh.

Then they hit that stage that bands on major labels always seem to when they try to sound like fucking U2. KoL combined this with dressing up like elves from Lord of the Rings. Then they sucked and sucked hard.
Yep, and they did try to sound like U2 after several albums ...

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Bon Scott's AC/DC wrote:
disgruntledgoat wrote:Molly's Chambers was cool. So was Pale Morning Light. Everything else, meh.

Yep, and they did try to sound like U2 after several albums ...
That has happened with a lot of bands when they run out of ideas. Even U2.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Zip City wrote:gotta be honest, I'm tired of this whole topic. I can't believe we're giving this much bandwidth to it
6.5 years later...

Is KoL still around?

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

I love the first two records. Everything after that is in my opinion unlistenable.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

blackwll wrote:
Zip City wrote:gotta be honest, I'm tired of this whole topic. I can't believe we're giving this much bandwidth to it
6.5 years later...

Is KoL still around?
They had a new single or two last year which weren't bad but were entirely forgettable
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Zip City wrote:
blackwll wrote:
6.5 years later...

Is KoL still around?
They had a new single or two last year which weren't bad but were entirely forgettable
I may be way offbase here, but I thought I read in the last week that they had a #1 album last year. I had no idea they even had an album last year

I agree with what SactoChris said

they were good when they guested on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Clams

Post by Clams »

ALL RECORD TITLES MUST HAVE 5 SYLLABLES.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

disgruntledgoat

Post by disgruntledgoat »

Clams wrote:ALL RECORD TITLES MUST HAVE 5 SYLLABLES.
It's a little known fact that the Beatles originally pencilled in "Revolvererer"

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Fuck KoL, first album and all.

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

Smitty wrote:Fuck KoL, first album and all.
I'm with Smitty.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I may have my 3DD password revoked for posting this, but....

I saw Kings Of Leon at Beale St Music Fest and liked them. I was with my brother in law, and he wanted to see KOL, but I remembered thinking I wouldn't like them, but despite my preconceived notions, I did. Maybe I'd read this thread at some point....

Not my favorite band, but I enjoyed them this past weekend.

Am I disbarred????

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Beaverdam wrote:I may have my 3DD password revoked for posting this, but....

I saw Kings Of Leon at Beale St Music Fest and liked them. I was with my brother in law, and he wanted to see KOL, but I remembered thinking I wouldn't like them, but despite my preconceived notions, I did. Maybe I'd read this thread at some point....

Am I disbarred????
there's the door

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Am I disbarred????
Sadly yes. Your Dad-in-law can stay, though.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Am I disbarred????
Lol. It takes more balls to post that than it does to just say everything about them sucks if you enjoyed it.

I saw them at an outdoor show in Atlanta sometime around the summer of 2011. Band of Horses opened. It was Africa hot that evening. I was there because my wife wanted to see them and Band of Horses kind of sweetened the deal a little.

They actually put on a good show. I didn't really know any of the songs other than that one that was such a big radio hit around ten years ago and a couple I heard when listening a few days before the show so I would at least have heard a couple.

I don't own any of their records and I get what turns so many people here off to them but I can't say it was a bad show or that I hated it. From what I could tell their audience was primarily made up of sorority girls and guys who might as well be sorority girls and I haven't seen them play since and didn't even realize they were still playing but it was a good show.

I remember they had a show in Texas after that one and either they broke up after the show I saw of after that Texas show. Cant remember.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:and guys who might as well be sorority girls
:lol:

If one doesn't know anything about them, the music itself is middle of the road classic rock w/ the occasional hummable hook - listenable in small doses.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I love "Sex on Fire" and I don't care who knows it. That song is catchy as hell
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

Smitty wrote:

Am I disbarred????
Sadly yes. Your Dad-in-law can stay, though.
Yeah, he's a keeper.
I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

When I initially posted part of me was a little worried Patterson would post (through Jenn) and send a hit out on me!

If I hadn't met so many of you, I'd now be tempted to tell you I was a hot sorority girl with curves in all the right places, but y'all know that's a lie.

"Sex on fire" was catchy (hell, I'm married, and sex anywhere is good), but what really got me was the "I'm going back down south now" song; it's been stuck in my head for days.

I'm not ready to buy CDs or get concert tickets, but at the festival it was good. Certain "things" at festivals make everything sound good. Maybe I should chalk my appreciation up to the environment, but I've listened to a few songs at home and still liked them.

I guess I need to get my New Kids on the Block tee shirt out of the closet....kidding, I don't have one of those!

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:I love "Sex on Fire" and I don't care who knows it. That song is catchy as hell
I think that may be the one I'm thinking about that was such a big radio hit. There as a song of there's that I had heard and I'm thinking that's it.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.