Hood/Cooley/Craig Finn Interview

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Re: Hood/Cooley/Craig Finn Interview

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

If my band were opening for G. G. Allin, we'd play as The Sphincter Savants. I don't really see that there'd be any other reasonable choice.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

blackwll wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:who ever compared The Hold Steady to DBT?!?
- Patterson Hood. I have refereed to them as the DBT of the North.
I've said it myself, back when I first got Separation Sunday, and again when I saw the Rock and Roll Means Well tour, both bands hitting me live for the first times ever.

It was truer then than it is now. The Hold Steady is still living in one very small world, lyrically speaking. They've never quite grown up. Whereas DBT contains multitudes.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

i think i remember an interview where cooley said he thought he had lost an iron maiden or judas priest cd under the floor mat of his mini van.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

dime in the gutter wrote:i think i remember an interview where cooley said he thought he had lost an iron maiden or judas priest cd under the floor mat of his mini van.
Not sure if it's still online anywhere but there used to a clip on YouTube of Cooley playing R.E.M.'s "Sitting Still" with a pre-DBT's band. Their name escapes me.

roryg81

Post by roryg81 »

My favorite part of the interview is when Cooley plays the dad card when describing the reaction to shootings. Too bad his line of questioning isn't used more often

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

tinnitus photography wrote:self 3rd person references are the sole dominion of Rickey Henderson.
just don't use the word "tenure" around Rickey!

on a side note, Rickey hit the longest home run I have seen in person, 1986 for the Yankees at the Stadium against the Rangers. Had driven up from NC to see Dylan/Petty at the Meadowlands and the next day went to the stadium. No idea what the official measurement was, but it was a linedrive to dead center that was still steadily rising when it hit the empty seats (the batters eye). Nearly 31 years later it still impresses the hell out of me.
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

tinnitus photography wrote:self 3rd person references are the sole dominion of Rickey Henderson.
Clearly you never saw any Alan Iverson or Terrell Owens interviews.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Cole Younger wrote:
while T.O. will always be aces in my book for "desecrating the star," this is how I will ALWAYS remember him

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:
while T.O. will always be aces in my book for "desecrating the star," this is how I will ALWAYS remember him

I never liked him but always loved his interviews if that makes sense. He was so full of crap and had Kanye West syndrome in that he had both an inferiority complex and a superiority complex at the same time. I would always be nearly out breath from laughing if he was in front of a camera for any length of time. Iverson always cracked me up too come to think of it.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

roryg81 wrote:My favorite part of the interview is when Cooley plays the dad card when describing the reaction to shootings. Too bad his line of questioning isn't used more often
this was my favorite part. It was so...logical!

Just echoing everyone else upthread who said this was one of the better interviews they've seen. I really enjoyed the whole thing.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Cole Younger wrote:
they didn't do it w/ the flair and pizzazz.
, I think it was the year he ended up playing with the Red Sox. Anyway, he called San Diego GM Kevin Towers and left the following message: “This is Rickey calling on behalf of Rickey. Rickey wants to play baseball.”
:lol:

more gems here:
https://90feetofperfection.com/2010/09/ ... t-be-true/

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Cooley was a fan of the Darkness (I Believe in a Thing Called Love)
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

zoid

Post by zoid »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote:i think i remember an interview where cooley said he thought he had lost an iron maiden or judas priest cd under the floor mat of his mini van.
Not sure if it's still online anywhere but there used to a clip on YouTube of Cooley playing R.E.M.'s "Sitting Still" with a pre-DBT's band. Their name escapes me.

Yeah, that's my fault. Cooley was running sound for us and sat in on a couple of songs. They were pretty rough as this was the first live show ever for 3 of the 4 of us. That being said I thought "Sitting Still" turned out ok for not knowing what the hell we were doing.