Hood/Cooley/Craig Finn Interview

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

disgruntledgoat

Hood/Cooley/Craig Finn Interview

Post by disgruntledgoat »

Not sure if anyone has posted this up yet, just stumbled across it on Youtube.
Craig Finn talks through American Band with Patterson and Cooley, track by track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkN47uD0yWc Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAsnpNyUd1I&t=325s Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7A2Ab1cvaQ Part 3

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Re: Hood/Cooley/Craig Finn Interview

Post by RolanK »

disgruntledgoat wrote:Not sure if anyone has posted this up yet, just stumbled across it on Youtube.
Craig Finn talks through American Band with Patterson and Cooley, track by track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkN47uD0yWc Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAsnpNyUd1I&t=325s Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7A2Ab1cvaQ Part 3
Part 1 just popped up in my face feed. Thanks for posting the other two.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

McButton

Post by McButton »

Listening now, this is very cool, thanks for posting this!

blueridgehiker

Post by blueridgehiker »

This is great, I'm a huge Hold Steady fan. I feel like DBT and Hold Steady are similar in that you don't really "get" them until you see them live, then you're hooked.
A girl as plain as a primer coat

disgruntledgoat

I think I saw the steady every time they came to the UK between Boys and Girls and Teeth Dreams

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

blueridgehiker wrote:This is great, I'm a huge Hold Steady fan. I feel like DBT and Hold Steady are similar in that you don't really "get" them until you see them live, then you're hooked.
I saw the Hold Steady live on the Rock n' Roll Means Well tour with DBT's. They weren't bad or anything but I wasn't into 'em.

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

blueridgehiker wrote:This is great, I'm a huge Hold Steady fan. I feel like DBT and Hold Steady are similar in that you don't really "get" them until you see them live, then you're hooked.
"Separation Sunday" is one of my favorite albums EVER and "Boys and Girls in America " isn't far behind. I kind of agree about their live show although their sound has really suffered since they lost Franz. Getting him back for the 10 year anniversary of "Boys..." is huge and hopefully they'll have him for anything else going forward. It's been way too guitar heavy/not dynamic lately.

Whether or not you like THS/Craig Finn, this interview is fantastic and really insightful. Everyone is so comfortable and it's great to see Cooley really open up about the songs. Wish it was longer!

blueridgehiker

Post by blueridgehiker »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:
"Separation Sunday" is one of my favorite albums EVER and "Boys and Girls in America " isn't far behind. I kind of agree about their live show although their sound has really suffered since they lost Franz. Getting him back for the 10 year anniversary of "Boys..." is huge and hopefully they'll have him for anything else going forward. It's been way too guitar heavy/not dynamic lately.

Whether or not you like THS/Craig Finn, this interview is fantastic and really insightful. Everyone is so comfortable and it's great to see Cooley really open up about the songs. Wish it was longer!
Almost Killed Me is my favorite, followed by Separation Sunday. Saw them at the Intonation Music Festival in Chicago in '05 (which later became Pitchfork). Saw a girl use two cigarette butts as ear plugs, still one of the most bad ass things I've seen.

And I agree - interviews between friends are always so nice and love seeing Cooley animated. Interviews like this really deepen my love for the band - I love the music but this helps me truly know, understand, and love the humans behind it. [/end day drinking ramble]
A girl as plain as a primer coat

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:Wish it was longer!
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

disgruntledgoat

Sep Sunday is definitely a top 5 album EVER for me too. Also, they ain't the same without Franz

Also, I've had the pleasure of drinking with Craig and singing Springsteen on Kate Karaoke with him too. A good egg. You're right, he got the best outta Cooley and I love that he can't remember a single lyric in 45 minutes.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:

This is absolutely as animated and candid as I've seen Cooley in an interview. The song by song discussion also explains some of the questions that have come up on the board about lyric interpretation.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Wow. What a great interview. I really enjoyed watching it. I wonder why it was held back?

Although the timing was a total coincidence, I watched it last night immediately following President Obama's final address. It was interesting watching the interview as it was recorded well before the election in that context. I'm paraphrasing, but both Cooley and Patterson said something to the effect of "incremental change is hard and slow, but we are really making progress. Now all we have to do is not fuck it up"

....sorry, boys...we fucked it up...
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

jr29 wrote:This is absolutely as animated and candid as I've seen Cooley in an interview.
It hit me the same way. Wonder why it took so long to get thrown up on line. It is insightful and enjoyable. Thanks for posting.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I enjoyed the interview. I don't care for The Hold Steady at all and always shake my head when they get compared to the Truckers but Finn does a good interview.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

who ever compared The Hold Steady to DBT?!?

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

tinnitus photography wrote:who ever compared The Hold Steady to DBT?!?
- Patterson Hood. I have refereed to them as the DBT of the North.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Satisfied?

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
I saw the Hold Steady live on the Rock n' Roll Means Well tour with DBT's. They weren't bad or anything but I wasn't into 'em.
Ditto. For some reason the singer reminded me of George Costanza and I just couldn't get over it. However I liked Franz.
There's a comparison for yall.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

tinnitus photography

Cole Younger wrote:
Satisfied?
in the smugness of your answer?

it could use a dash more smugness.

everything i've ever held to be true about Patterson's opinions about music is now thrown into question.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I was hooked on both long before I saw either live.

They're my two favorite working bands, so this was right up my alley. Finn should be a journalist. If he didn't write awesome songs.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

blackwll wrote:
Yeah, I absolutely view them as the DBT of the North/Upper Midwest. It's part of what hooked me so hard.

IMO they have a ton in common and there's a reason for the high overlap between their fanbases. Both are lyric-driven rock bands that have recurring focuses on a certain part of the country and the characters who come from it.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:
Satisfied?
in the smugness of your answer?

it could use a dash more smugness.

everything i've ever held to be true about Patterson's opinions about music is now thrown into question.
Yeah 'cause you're never smug. :lol: not ever.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Iowan wrote:
I was hooked on both long before I saw either live.

They're my two favorite working bands, so this was right up my alley. Finn should be a journalist. If he didn't write awesome songs.
I've tried to like them and I just dont.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Swamp wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Ditto. For some reason the singer reminded me of George Costanza and I just couldn't get over it. However I liked Franz.
There's a comparison for yall.
isn't Franz the son of Ron Jeremy?
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

tinnitus photography

Cole Younger wrote:Yeah 'cause you're never smug. :lol: not ever.

your neck must be really sore from always shaking your head when the tHS/DBT comparison got made once by Patterson.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

your neck must be really sore from always shaking your head when the tHS/DBT comparison got made once by Patterson.
My neck is fine. Thanks for asking. But sounds like your butt hurts.

disgruntledgoat

Iowan wrote:
blackwll wrote:
Yeah, I absolutely view them as the DBT of the North/Upper Midwest. It's part of what hooked me so hard.

IMO they have a ton in common and there's a reason for the high overlap between their fanbases. Both are lyric-driven rock bands that have recurring focuses on a certain part of the country and the characters who come from it.
Pretty much sums it up for me. Separation Sunday and TDS are my go to example of the "Welcome to my world" album. Both bands were also a bit older than their peers when they started making records and have a fine appreciation of classic rock.

I remember a guy on the THS forum lamenting once that he'd sold his Vox AC30 to buy a transistor amp purely because he wanted to get the sound off Godzilla by Blue Oyster Cult. Tad Kubler logged in to reply "No regrets. Godzilla's a jam" :lol:

tinnitus photography

Cole Younger wrote:

My neck is fine. Thanks for asking. But sounds like your butt hurts.
are you some sort of sphincter savant?

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

That's very clever tiny but that doesn't bother me. I'll defer to you on matters of the posterior as yours often seems to be on your shoulders when you don't like what someone posts.

I've enjoyed it but play time with Cole is over for now.

tinnitus photography

self 3rd person references are the sole dominion of Rickey Henderson.