DBT/Facebook commentary thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

drommel56

Re: DBT/Facebook commentary thread

Post by drommel56 »

Southern Efficiency wrote:
Clams wrote:stupidest (is that a word?)
Yes.
My wife claims that it is not, along with 'stupider'. I don't see why not.
I would like to apologize to anybody that I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

drommel56 wrote:
Southern Efficiency wrote:
Clams wrote:stupidest (is that a word?)
Yes.
though this link and others say stupider and stupidest are proper, I still don't think they sound right in actual usage

http://www.sensagent.com/alexandria-con ... l=en&dl=en

stupid

(adj.)
pos.stupid
comp.stupider
super.stupidest
stupid

(n.)
(sing.)stupid
(plur.)stupids
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Flea

Post by Flea »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
drommel56 wrote:
though this link and others say stupider and stupidest are proper, I still don't think they sound right in actual usage

http://www.sensagent.com/alexandria-con ... l=en&dl=en

stupid

(adj.)
pos.stupid
comp.stupider
super.stupidest
stupid

(n.)
(sing.)stupid
(plur.)stupids
I think that while those comparative and superlative forms are technically correct, it feels more "natural" (for lack of a better descriptive) to say "more stupid" and "most stupid".
Now it's dark.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Flea wrote:I think that while those comparative and superlative forms are technically correct, it feels more "natural" (for lack of a better descriptive) to say "more stupid" and "most stupid".
Or we could say "super stupid" like the mighty Funkadelic did in a song...

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Southern Efficiency

Post by Southern Efficiency »

If you say/write it and some folks understand roughly what you meant, it's a word.

Whether you want to use it is up to you!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Flea wrote:I think that while those comparative and superlative forms are technically correct, it feels more "natural" (for lack of a better descriptive) to say "more stupid" and "most stupid".
Presumably a matter of regional variation, but "more stupid" (not "stupider") and "stupidest" (not "most stupid") sound/feel like the right usages to me.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

I am in facebook jail again. I got 30 days this time. I better clean up my hand. I don't want to get the perma boot.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Clams

Post by Clams »

sactochris wrote:I am in facebook jail again. I got 30 days this time. I better clean up my hand. I don't want to get the perma boot.
They got you again?!? I was wondering where you've been!! You've got to be one of Zuckerberg's 10 most wanted at this point. :lol:
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

sactochris wrote:I am in facebook jail again. I got 30 days this time. I better clean up my hand. I don't want to get the perma boot.
as a non-Facebooker, what does one have to do to get such a "time out"?
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

This time, it was for asking a guy, who by this point, had made several posts about how the very concept of age of consent laws are nothing but a moral construct, if he was the president of NAMBLA, or just a garden variety pedophile.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

sactochris wrote:

This time, it was for asking a guy, who by this point, had made several posts about how the very concept of age of consent laws are nothing but a moral construct, if he was the president of NAMBLA, or just a garden variety pedophile.
Sorry for the diversion, but what does that mean "nothing but a moral construct"? Isn't a moral construct exactly and unambiguously what age of consent laws are, and isn't that a good thing? Or put another way, if being a "moral construct" is worthy of contempt, what analytical framework does he propose?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

beantownbubba wrote:
sactochris wrote:This time, it was for asking a guy, who by this point, had made several posts about how the very concept of age of consent laws are nothing but a moral construct, if he was the president of NAMBLA, or just a garden variety pedophile.
Sorry for the diversion, but what does that mean "nothing but a moral construct"? Isn't a moral construct exactly and unambiguously what age of consent laws are, and isn't that a good thing? Or put another way, if being a "moral construct" is worthy of contempt, what analytical framework does he propose?
Well, of course it's a moral construct. And culturally relative, and all that. People can have very reasonable disagreements about whether it should be fourteen or twenty-five.* That argument usually comes from someone who wants an analytical framework to rationalize kiddie plooking, though, so shit on 'em, statistically speaking.

*I have that particular disagreement with myself often.

Some days I say, yes, it should be either fourteen or twenty-five, but I can't decide which. Other days, I say no, there's some other, more reasonable number, which no one will ever agree upon. And when I feel ambitious, I write letters to Google asking them to shape human evolution so we have a little "ready" light on our forehead for our own individual values.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

lynne

Post by lynne »

phungi wrote:I think the true purpose of the FB discussion/argument is to bait Lynne while demonstrating who is the biggest douchebag on the DBT Facebook Group... I this respect, there are many leading contenders...
Haha, just saw this. Those 2 toolbags were top prize winners for douchebag of the year. Don't post shit just because you want to start controversy or at least don't be stupid enough to admit it. And realize it is NOT a dating site, especially when one of the moderators has warned you to be respectful. Wonder what they do with their spare time now that they have been removed? Bye bye little boys!
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

lynne

Post by lynne »

I was wondering where you have been too. Damn, I miss your posts and responses. Could always count on you for a lot of great comments. Hope the jail time goes quick!
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

lynne wrote:
I was wondering where you have been too. Damn, I miss your posts and responses. Could always count on you for a lot of great comments. Hope the jail time goes quick!

That's nice of you to say. I try to post some interesting things and add my two cents here and there.

Clams

Post by Clams »

sactochris wrote:
I try to post some interesting things and add my two cents here and there.
Pretty sure that's your problem right there.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Because there have never been any inane threads at 3DD or 9 Bullets.
chaps!
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

one belt loop wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Because there have never been any inane threads at 3DD or 9 Bullets.
chaps!
Ladies, too.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

one belt loop wrote:
chaps!
Yes, but that's my favorite inane thread.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved