Cooley Denver 12/2 and 12/3

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

ndavis86

Cooley Denver 12/2 and 12/3

Post by ndavis86 »

Night one:

Space City
Self-Destructive Zones
Shit Shots Count
Birthday Boy
Marry Me
Zip City
Uncle Frank
Gravity's Gone
Perfect Timing
Made Up English Oceans
Surrender Under Protest
Cartoon Gold
A Ghost To Most
Filthy and Fried
Panties in Your Purse
Cottonseed
Everybody Needs Love

blackwll

Re: Cooley Denver 12/2 and 12/3

Post by blackwll »

No 206 to Denver? Maybe tonight. What happened to that song anyways? Does he ever play it anymore?

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

blackwll wrote:No 206 to Denver? Maybe tonight. What happened to that song anyways? Does he ever play it anymore?
Yeah that is kind of a surprise. I've never seen him solo so I don't know how often he plays 218 to Denver but my feeling is that it's not all that often. Cooley seems to stick to mostly the same songs. There is a difference between his solo set lists and what he generally plays with the band with some overlap obviously. But he has songs that he never plays except when playing solo. That's my only real gripe with Cooley and it's a small gripe. You pretty much know what songs you are going to get from him and he isn't going to surprise you quite the way Patterson will. His EO songs for instance. Those songs are still relatively new and he has abandoned most them and likely won't play them again. That's too bad.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I don't know what to make of opening a show w/ "Space City." Seems to violate pretty much every rule in the show business rule book, but hey, it's Cooley, so it's not like the rule book applies. In any case, you got to hear Space City and there ain't nothing wrong w/ that. :)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

ndavis86

Post by ndavis86 »

Night 2:

Carl Perkins' Cadillac
Pulaski
Perfect Timing
Eyes Like Glue
Gravity's Gone
Cartoon Gold
Panties in Your Purse
Filthy and Fried
Marry Me
Love Like This
Made Up English Oceans
Surrender Under Protest
Cottonseed
Zip City
Self-Destructive Zones
Shit Shots Count
E: A Ghost To Most

ndavis86

Post by ndavis86 »

Cole Younger wrote:
blackwll wrote:No 206 to Denver? Maybe tonight. What happened to that song anyways? Does he ever play it anymore?
Yeah that is kind of a surprise. I've never seen him solo so I don't know how often he plays 218 to Denver but my feeling is that it's not all that often. Cooley seems to stick to mostly the same songs. There is a difference between his solo set lists and what he generally plays with the band with some overlap obviously. But he has songs that he never plays except when playing solo. That's my only real gripe with Cooley and it's a small gripe. You pretty much know what songs you are going to get from him and he isn't going to surprise you quite the way Patterson will. His EO songs for instance. Those songs are still relatively new and he has abandoned most them and likely won't play them again. That's too bad.
He played it when he played Philly solo over the summer. Kinda thought we might get it, but Cooley confounds expectations.

Weird tale from this weekend:

I was front row tonight. About 3/4 of the way through the set, a guy is really getting in my space, brushing against my back. I turn halfway to see what he's doing, and he slurs, "This is for him. This is for Cooley," in reference to the plastic cup of whiskey he's holding. "Okay," I say. Keep in mind, Cooley has a good bit of whiskey in his own cup at this point. He gets up close to my ear and says, "Do you want to punch me yet?" I respond in the negative. When the song ends, the guy half-heartedly waves the glass of whiskey in Cooley's direction, says "Mike" a couple times, and then sets the glass down just Cooleyside of the dead soldiers on the lip of the stage, where it remains for the rest of the show.

It was a truly, truly bizarre experience. If you're out there, let your freak flag fly. Sorry you wasted your money on whiskey for Cooley.

Other highlight:

Guy in Crowd: Cooley! You're a baaad motherfucker!
Cooley (tuning guitar): Well...don't tell my mother.

:lol:
Last edited by ndavis86 on Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

ndavis86

Post by ndavis86 »

beantownbubba wrote:I don't know what to make of opening a show w/ "Space City." Seems to violate pretty much every rule in the show business rule book, but hey, it's Cooley, so it's not like the rule book applies. In any case, you got to hear Space City and there ain't nothing wrong w/ that. :)
Indeed. I was pretty astounded. I was just hoping I might hear it this weekend, so getting it first song on night one was a shock to the system.

PieceByPiece

Post by PieceByPiece »

Hey, if Patterson can open with "Grand Canyon" as he did last night in Seattle, anything is possible. And sorry Uncle R., but I didn't get the entire setlist.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Great time Saturday night, it's always a pleasure when it's just Cooley and his guitar. No real stand outs or anything (although it's always great to hear Cottonseed- what an awesome song. Perfect Timing is another solid song you know you won't hear with DBT) but I will echo what Cole said- At this point there are def songs that Cooley must think work better either in the band situation or in a solo setting. Songs like Self Destructive Zones and Carl Perkins Cadillac are more or less absent from DBT sets these days. Was also surprised there wasn't more new material played but that's not a complaint.. And verses the last time Cooley played Denver there was way less banter, talking about the songs, etc. Cooley didn't really say much at all.. Of course we're there to hear him play his songs but the guy has such a funny way with words, it's always a treat to hear him talk about the tunes and gain some insight into where his songs came from. Regardless- a great crowd that was pretty damned respectful from where I stood, ran into some old friends, met a few new crazies and all around had a blast.

Looking forward to two night w the full band next month.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

PieceByPiece wrote: but I didn't get the entire setlist.
Can we get this guy banned?
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

brett27295 wrote:
PieceByPiece wrote: but I didn't get the entire setlist.
Can we get this guy banned?
I'm thinking suspension for a first time violation. It's not like we're draconian; more like tough love.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Fatah Ruark

Post by Fatah Ruark »

I only went on Friday. Good set. I thought the song selection was strange...not the songs, but the order of them...but like someone said...rules do not apply to Cooley.

I can say one thing...Ya'll are some chatty mother fuckers (not all of you obviously). Last time Cooley told you to STFU...unfortunately he was in a better mood on Friday. I didn't return on Saturday due to the chatter.

As always, I recorded. Haven't listened to it. Doubtful with the chatter it's worth sharing.

ndavis86

Post by ndavis86 »

Fatah Ruark wrote:I only went on Friday. Good set. I thought the song selection was strange...not the songs, but the order of them...but like someone said...rules do not apply to Cooley.

I can say one thing...Ya'll are some chatty mother fuckers (not all of you obviously). Last time Cooley told you to STFU...unfortunately he was in a better mood on Friday. I didn't return on Saturday due to the chatter.

As always, I recorded. Haven't listened to it. Doubtful with the chatter it's worth sharing.
Interesting. Where were you situated? I was up like second row, center-stage on Friday night and I had no issues with noise. I could hear some chatter back in the bar, but nothing too distracting.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I only went Saturday but it was noticeably less full (still not empty by any means) than two years ago. Seeing as two people here decided not to go Saturday based on a chatty Friday night, I wonder if that was the general consensus. I was surprised it wasn't more full on a Sat night.

Fatah Ruark

Post by Fatah Ruark »

I was in the back by the soundboard. The chatter was coming from inside the "venue" area (and also back in the bar area).

It was pretty distracting back there. I walked up to an open area about 10 feet from the stage and it was much better. Next time I record there for a "quiet band/artist" I'll probably set up my rig about 10 feet from the stack and just make a mono recording. Better that than what I got.

I was surprised on the amount of people too. Remember last time there was the big snow storm. I barely made it down on night 2...even then it was about a full as Friday night this year.

I wonder if how many people skipped it due to the chatter. It really is disrespectful to both the artist and the fans that are there to LISTEN to the music. Why people pay $25 to come talk is beyond me. I'm totally down with the occasional comment to your friends, but NON-STOP talking. WTF?

Looking forward to a full on DBT show where talking is irrelevant since most people can't talk as loud as DBT plays. :D

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

"Remember last time there was the big snow storm. I barely made it down on night 2...even then it was about a full as Friday night this year"

Yep- a huge blizzard hit on Saturday evening. Sunday was an afternoon show and was supposed to be a 'BBQ' show. Needless to say there was no BBQing going on but you're correct- Even with a foot plus of snow that afternoon show had a similar turn out to this past Saturday night.

ndavis86

Post by ndavis86 »

Just noticed that Dragondeer has replaced Kyle Craft as the opener for the Ogden shows. Their frontman opened for Cooley on Saturday and I really enjoyed his set, so it'll be cool to see the full band.

Fatah Ruark

Post by Fatah Ruark »

Here's a sample from my Friday recording. This sounds great, but it wasn't much longer before the recording becomes unlistenable due to the chatter. I figured those in attendance would like SOMETHING to remember the show. It was such a fun time despite the chatter.

https://soundcloud.com/fatah-ruark/mike ... -city-live