DBT came to Spain

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

ao1

DBT came to Spain

Post by ao1 »

http://www.rtve.es/mediateca/videos/201 ... 8234.shtml

They played at "la Lonja of SOS del Rey Católico" (some kind of medieval warehouse, behind of them the oil and crops were kept) and it was their best concert ever in Spain
It was awesome to have them only for one date in the middle of their U.S. tour

ps- Thankfully the whole concert was recorded by the spanish television, i hope someday it will be broadcasted

Clams

Re: DBT came to Spain

Post by Clams »

I have no clue what the fuck she's saying but that place looks cool, the band looks good and Women Without Whiskey sounds great.

Thanks for sharing, ao1.
If you don't run you rust

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:I have no clue what the fuck she's saying but that place looks cool, the band looks good and Women Without Whiskey sounds great.

Thanks for sharing, ao1.

What? You couldn't understand "American rock band" and "The Big To Do"? :D That's gotta be the steepest seating i've ever seen - i was getting vertigo just looking at it.

Although I don't really understand it, it seems pretty damn cool to jet over to Spain to do a single show lol. Especially when it's "their best concert ever in Spain". Thanks ao1.
"
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I'm confused. Why isn't Cooley singing in Spanish?
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Lester on the Make

Post by Lester on the Make »

Does anyone speak Spanish? I'd love to get a translation....

Clams

Post by Clams »

Lester on the Make wrote:Does anyone speak Spanish? I'd love to get a translation....

Hell, I don't know what she said, 'cause I don't speak Spanish...

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

Wow, this is so weird (and cool!) they went to Spain for one date in the middle of the US tour...I mean, they gonna be there in November...
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

Clams wrote:
Hell, I don't know what she said, 'cause I don't speak Spanish...
:lol:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

DBT went to Spain and i didn't even get a lousy tshirt :(
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

ao1

Post by ao1 »

Sorry, here is the translation
"Drive by truckers, the american rock band, gave in SOS del Rey Católico, in Zaragoza,
their only date in Europe. They introduce their new album "The big to do", in an unequaled
setting, the medieval warehouse of that village. The "Luna Lunera" in its 9th edition, started
in the middle of July and will finish the 15th of August with the concert of Jorge Drexler"

Here you have some photos of the village:
http://www.sosdelreycatolico.com/web/en ... 33&orden=8

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

I'm not sure that was the best set list for a Spanish show.

EddieHinton

Post by EddieHinton »

lotusamerica wrote:I'm not sure that was the best set list for a Spanish show.

Um..What would you have played for almost 3 hours? Julio Iglesias songs? Maybe you and Zip City should start consulting for the band so they quit wasting all these wonderful opportunities.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

EddieHinton wrote:

Um..What would you have played for almost 3 hours? Julio Iglesias songs? Maybe you and Zip City should start consulting for the band so they quit wasting all these wonderful opportunities.

Pretty sure that was satire. (hoping it was at least)
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

gerg

Post by gerg »

There's something inherently funny about Mike Cooley performing Mike Cooley songs in Europe.

gonzalo

Post by gonzalo »

Here is the setlist in no particular order:
Carl Perkins' Cadillac
The Living Bubba
Love Like This
Buttholeville
Uncle Frank
Women Without Whiskey
Lookout Mountain
Daddy Learned To Fly
Santa Fe
After The Scene Dies
Go Downtown
Zip City
When The Pin Hits The Shell
Drag The Lake Charlie
Birthday Boy
(It's Gonna Be) I Told You So
Sink Hole
Everybody Needs Love
Marry Me
The Man I Shot
Three Dimes Down
Home Field Advantage
Let There Be Rock
Hell No I Ain't Happy
People Who Died

In this link you will find some pics:
http://straighttothell.blogspot.com/201 ... unera.html
Below there is a megaupload link with more pictures.

Cotter

Post by Cotter »

Wow, that is pretty cool.

Is it safe to assume ao1 is FROM Spain?

p-
This is like asking me to dance to the sound of wolves mauling a reindeer.

Cotter

Post by Cotter »

EddieHinton wrote:

Dammit Lotus!! Keep your opinions to yerself!!

LOL
This is like asking me to dance to the sound of wolves mauling a reindeer.

The Avon Lady

Post by The Avon Lady »

gonzalo wrote:Here is the setlist in no particular order:
Carl Perkins' Cadillac
The Living Bubba
Love Like This
Buttholeville
Uncle Frank
Women Without Whiskey
Lookout Mountain
Daddy Learned To Fly
Santa Fe
After The Scene Dies
Go Downtown
Zip City
When The Pin Hits The Shell
Drag The Lake Charlie
Birthday Boy
(It's Gonna Be) I Told You So
Sink Hole
Everybody Needs Love
Marry Me
The Man I Shot
Three Dimes Down
Home Field Advantage
Let There Be Rock
Hell No I Ain't Happy
People Who Died

In this link you will find some pics:
http://straighttothell.blogspot.com/201 ... unera.html
Below there is a megaupload link with more pictures.

Neat little broken translation (thanks google translate!!) of the blog

Had long wanted to catch him in action. I was a hair of going to the concert they gave in Villaverde in 2006, could not be at that time. So just found out they were going to perform at the Moon Lunera is that neither me what I thought.
Charming setting for a festival of Sos Del Rey Catolico. They came to play in Chicago and I guess for them it must have been hell of being in a place like that.
They began with the charming and Carl Perkins Cadillac The Living Bubba. Patterson exudes spirit and good cheer, Mike is the rock'n'roll in person. The repertoire is wide and uses all times of the group: Zip City, Love Like This, Marry Me, The Man I Shot, The Scene Dies After or Hell No I Is not Happy are just one of the few big moments concert. For encores and to my surprise after Let There Be Rock followed with Go Downtown and ended the crazed and brutal People Who Died.
Only one negative point: John Neff for me does not fit much. His work with the pedal steel is good, but lacks the electric guitar fury and courage, so if you had Jason Isbell. It is very noticeable in Marry Me, Carl Perkins Cadillac or Lookout Mountain. Well, it was a treat to see in action one of the great bands these days, and if possible repeat in Barcelona in November

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

EddieHinton wrote:

That set list kicked ass
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

The Avon Lady wrote:Neat little broken translation (thanks google translate!!) of the blog

Had long wanted to catch him in action. I was a hair of going to the concert they gave in Villaverde in 2006, could not be at that time. So just found out they were going to perform at the Moon Lunera is that neither me what I thought.
Charming setting for a festival of Sos Del Rey Catolico. They came to play in Chicago and I guess for them it must have been hell of being in a place like that.
They began with the charming and Carl Perkins Cadillac The Living Bubba. Patterson exudes spirit and good cheer, Mike is the rock'n'roll in person. The repertoire is wide and uses all times of the group: Zip City, Love Like This, Marry Me, The Man I Shot, The Scene Dies After or Hell No I Is not Happy are just one of the few big moments concert. For encores and to my surprise after Let There Be Rock followed with Go Downtown and ended the crazed and brutal People Who Died.
Only one negative point: John Neff for me does not fit much. His work with the pedal steel is good, but lacks the electric guitar fury and courage, so if you had Jason Isbell. It is very noticeable in Marry Me, Carl Perkins Cadillac or Lookout Mountain. Well, it was a treat to see in action one of the great bands these days, and if possible repeat in Barcelona in November

Nice! Mike Cooley is indeed "the rock'n'roll in person".
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Clams

Post by Clams »

The Avon Lady wrote:Neat little broken translation (thanks google translate!!) of the blog

Hell No I Is not Happy

:lol:

one negative point: John Neff for me does not fit much. His work with the pedal steel is good, but lacks the electric guitar fury and courage, so if you had Jason Isbell. It is very noticeable in Marry Me, Carl Perkins Cadillac or Lookout Mountain. Well, it was a treat to see in action one of the great bands these days, and if possible repeat in Barcelona in November

They recognize the Neff effect even in Spain.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Clams wrote:

one negative point: John Neff for me does not fit much. His work with the pedal steel is good, but lacks the electric guitar fury and courage, so if you had Jason Isbell. It is very noticeable in Marry Me, Carl Perkins Cadillac or Lookout Mountain. Well, it was a treat to see in action one of the great bands these days, and if possible repeat in Barcelona in November

Neff could liven up a lil more, sure, but his playing is by far my favorite of the DBT's - he brings so much musically that I can't imagine them without him now
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

Smitty wrote:
Clams wrote:

Neff could liven up a lil more, sure, but his playing is by far my favorite of the DBT's - he brings so much musically that I can't imagine them without him now

I agree with ya Smitty,,,John can rip that guitar..
he has so much style and so much presence and has really become a
major part of DBT ....plus he plays many instruments and he plays them dayum good...
he is even doing more back up vocals and sounds great, :D

anyways Welcome to the DBT Family ao1 :)
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

Clams

Post by Clams »

Smitty wrote:
Clams wrote:

Well this discussion is about as tired as the one about Shonna over in the Huston thread, but what the hell... :)

No one in their right mind could ever question Neff's chops. He is every bit the guitar player that Jason is. But he definitely lacks some stage presence, swagger, call it what you will. I'm not sure I've ever even seen him crack a smile. But he is who he is, you get what you get. Neff is an extremely impressive musician but he's not a rock god. Whatever.

meanjoegreen

Post by meanjoegreen »

John Neff is amazing....how could anyone say he doesnt fit the band...?!? Go see him live more than once and you will feel his presence. He is amazing at all gutairs.....not just the pedal. Worse comment ever about Neff.....the guy is incredible and fits the band perfect........unreal.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Avon Lady you kick ass for translating that post.

Mike is the rock'n'roll in person. :mrgreen:
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

gonzalo

Post by gonzalo »

Hey! I respect John Neff, he possibly has better guitar technique than Isbell, but in terms of rock'n'roll they don't play in the same league. You just compare the solos in Marry Me in both 40 Watt and ACL. Except for the last one, in the others of John solos I almost fall asleep everytime I listen to that record. In the other hand the Jason stuff in that song is amazing, rock'n'roll with cojones!
I'm not saying that I miss Jason in the band, life goes on and I love Jason with the 400 Unit, but since he left DBT some of the songs like Where The Devil Don't Stay o Marry Me don't impact me like when he was in the band.

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

meanjoegreen wrote:John Neff is amazing....how could anyone say he doesnt fit the band...?!? Go see him live more than once and you will feel his presence. He is amazing at all gutairs.....not just the pedal. Worse comment ever about Neff.....the guy is incredible and fits the band perfect........unreal.

Not that he needs me to stand up for him, but Clams has seen them more than once.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

emandrisdad wrote:
meanjoegreen wrote:John Neff is amazing....how could anyone say he doesnt fit the band...?!? Go see him live more than once and you will feel his presence. He is amazing at all gutairs.....not just the pedal. Worse comment ever about Neff.....the guy is incredible and fits the band perfect........unreal.

Not that he needs me to stand up for him, but Clams has seen them more than once.

I believe that comment was directed at the spaniard.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

Whatever, still a valid opinion.