A.V. Club: Patterson's essential listening list - R.E.M.

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Rocky

A.V. Club: Patterson's essential listening list - R.E.M.

Post by Rocky »

“I was lucky. I worked at a record store (Record Bar #98 in Florence Alabama) as my first job. I was turned on to R.E.M.’s Chronic Town a few weeks before Murmur came out. I became an obsessive fan. We ran the album on sale and every time we would play it in the store people would inevitably buy it. It was my album of the year in 1983. A year later a friend took me to see them in Oxford Mississippi on the Reckoning tour and I was convinced that they would become the biggest band in the world. For once in my life, I wasn’t wrong."

http://www.avclub.com/article/check-out ... att-246366
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Bon Scott's AC/DC

Re: A.V. Club: Patterson's essential listening list - R.E.M.

Post by Bon Scott's AC/DC »

I first heard REM when Radio Free Europe was played on the Dave Fanning radio show probably around '82/83? Yeah, I love the Chronic Town EP and there is something special of the first four LPs up to Life's Rich Pageant. I've always had it in my mind that Life's Rich Pageant is my favourite REM album (followed by Chronic Town E and the other three early LPs).

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I can go along with that. I'm also real fond of New Adventures in Hi-FI.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Fables remains my favorite overall with New Adventures being my favorite of the Bill Berry-era. Up is my favorite from the post-Bill era. Accelerate and Collapse Into Now also have their moments but times it felt like they were trying too hard to sound like the R.E.M. of old. Meanwhile, Up has this sort of fractured sound where they're trying to find their footing again post-Bill that makes it endearing to me. "Falls To Climb" is a standout from that record, as well as their entire output. I'm not sure if Stipe reached those heights ever again post-Bill.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Rocky wrote:“I was lucky. I worked at a record store (Record Bar #98 in Florence Alabama) as my first job."
From 88-92 (when Record bar was bought by a Euro mega conglomerate) I worked at the Record Bar corporate office in Durham, NC as an internal auditor, after working in the Asheville store for 2 years. I dealt with stores on a daily basis on matters, which meant back then having to call the stores and discuss whatever the issue was over the phone. We had nearly 200 stores and I know for certain that over my tenure I dealt with each and every one of them, some problem stores more than others, alas. I've talked with Patterson a couple of times about our Record Bar pasts and wonder if he ever answered the phone when I called #98 (assuming he was there when I was auditing). I dealt a lot with his regional manager. Turns out we knew some of the same people

I still have Record Bar anxiety dreams on a weekly basis :lol:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

One of my favorite pages on FB is Cult of the Record Bar. Every so often, Patterson will weigh in. Unfortunately, the closest Record Bars to me were in Raleigh, Greenville, New Bern and Jacksonville. Since the ones in Jacksonville were on the way to our cottage in Swansboro, I probably shopped there the most. We did have Camelot Music in Goldsboro which wasn't bad at all as far as chain stores go but Record Bar had a better selection, especially in their import section. They also had the No Risk Record program going for a while where certain titles were on sale that you could return if you didn't like them.

disgruntledgoat

Post by disgruntledgoat »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Rocky wrote:“I was lucky. I worked at a record store (Record Bar #98 in Florence Alabama) as my first job."
From 88-92 (when Record bar was bought by a Euro mega conglomerate) I worked at the Record Bar corporate office in Durham, NC as an internal auditor, after working in the Asheville store for 2 years. I dealt with stores on a daily basis on matters, which meant back then having to call the stores and discuss whatever the issue was over the phone. We had nearly 200 stores and I know for certain that over my tenure I dealt with each and every one of them, some problem stores more than others, alas. I've talked with Patterson a couple of times about our Record Bar pasts and wonder if he ever answered the phone when I called #98 (assuming he was there when I was auditing). I dealt a lot with his regional manager. Turns out we knew some of the same people

I still have Record Bar anxiety dreams on a weekly basis :lol:
This is not good, I'm experiencing the same sort of stress dreams about my 2.5 years at a large Japanese car manufacturer six months after I left and I was hoping they'd go away.